PDA

View Full Version : How many players is UT going to sign - they just landed their 34th commit....

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
I thought the SEC came up with a rule after Nutt went full retard a few years ago..

msstate7
01-27-2014, 03:33 PM
This is getting ridiculous. They should drop Cory Thomas ASAP ***

EAVdog
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Every new commitment just increases the chance we land Cory Thomas. Keep signing away Butch.

deltadawg99
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
For some reason I think that it is going to come down to us and Clemson for Cory. Steve said a little earlier that apparently Dabo and Cory's mom went to high school together.

Not sure how close Dabo and Cory's mom are, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Hopefully our staff can win over mom.

msstate7
01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
For some reason I think that it is going to come down to us and Clemson for Cory. Steve said a little earlier that apparently Dabo and Cory's mom went to high school together.

Not sure how close Dabo and Cory's mom are, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Hope you're right. I bet mom would be able to see her son a lot more in miss vs sc

HereComesTheSpiral
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM

I hope it doesnt come down to pulling hats out of a back pack

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
I think it will come down to Thomas and whether he takes his visit to UT this weekend. My gut says he doesn't visit.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Doesn't this sort of sound backwards? I mean, if the guy was leaning MSU, look one visit up to Tennessee, committed......then came home and started leaning to State again, but his commitment is being based on whether he takes a visit to Tennessee or not......I'm not the world's smartest man but it seems to me the guy just likes Tennessee and needs to go there.

Sounds like we are the safe option but he really wants to go Tennessee. Not much you can do in this case.

thf24
01-27-2014, 04:21 PM
14 of those are early enrollees (pretty crazy within itself), don't those count back to last year's class?

Johnson85
01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
14 of those are early enrollees (pretty crazy within itself), don't those count back to last year's class?

I think you can only count back as many as you had spots. So they could only count 14 towards last class if they signed 11 people in last year's class.

maroonmania
01-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Doesn't this sort of sound backwards? I mean, if the guy was leaning MSU, look one visit up to Tennessee, committed......then came home and started leaning to State again, but his commitment is being based on whether he takes a visit to Tennessee or not......I'm not the world's smartest man but it seems to me the guy just likes Tennessee and needs to go there.

Sounds like we are the safe option but he really wants to go Tennessee. Not much you can do in this case.

His whole recruitment to me has been weird in the sense that all of our recruiting guys seems to think he wants to come with us (even WAY before the TN commitment) but yet he won't pull the trigger for us. I will be quite shocked at this stage if we sign him.

thf24
01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I think you can only count back as many as you had spots. So they could only count 14 towards last class if they signed 11 people in last year's class.

Couldn't be more than four or five they're counting back then, assuming they counted a few back last year.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm with you. I think we'll be signing Stallings, Harris, Gray, Brown and Pierce out of our currently uncommitted visitors. That's 23 and we'll likely be sending 2-3 of those to JUCO.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm with you. I think we'll be signing Stallings, Harris, Gray, Brown and Pierce out of our currently uncommitted visitors. That's 23 and we'll likely be sending 2-3 of those to JUCO.

God I hope you are wrong - Id like to sign someone we aren't supposed to.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
That wouldn't be a bad recruiting class at all, though. But I see what you mean, would just be par for the course. But look at it this way....it's a typical MSU class except that we got 2 good QBs, 2 good WRs, and 2 impact JUCOs.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 05:14 PM
That wouldn't be a bad recruiting class at all, though. But I see what you mean, would just be par for the course. But look at it this way....it's a typical MSU class except that we got 2 good QBs, 2 good WRs, and 2 impact JUCOs.

Im not saying it is a bad class, but my concern is that one of the WR's has a torn ACL and MCL. That is a major injury. The other WR struggled to stay healthy all season.

My concern is that right now, we have 2 HS OL committed (Harris and Calhoun) and 1 HS DL committed (Hoyett). That is just not good. Actually I didn't realize it was that bad until I went and looked at our commit list. Damn that is light in the pants. I mean Stallings, Harris and Brown would be ok, but you are talking about 3 guys that didn't have a firm offer from us 3 weeks ago. Even if we get all three, you are still seeing 3 HS OL and 3 HS DL, only one DE.

We need to be signing between 4-5 HS OL and HS DL every year.

chef dixon
01-27-2014, 05:17 PM
I honestly don't care how the class ends up. The team we have on campus already is very deep and a cause for excitement in the coming seasons. As long as we address needs and keep bringing in more decent athletes we can keep this trend up. The truth is, until we make the next step on the field and win 10 games or so, this is what our recruiting classes are going to look like at MSU.

BogeyGolfer
01-27-2014, 05:20 PM

We will sign Thomas... Put it this way, if we don't I will be VERY surprised.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
I honestly don't care how the class ends up. The team we have on campus already is very deep and a cause for excitement in the coming seasons. As long as we address needs and keep bringing in more decent athletes we can keep this trend up. The truth is, until we make the next step on the field and win 10 games or so, this is what our recruiting classes are going to look like at MSU.

I agree about the 2014 season - but we will lose a ton after this year - a ton. Luckily we can start with Dak in 2015, but we need to start surrounding him with players that will be great in 2015 so his run here can be great and not just pretty good.

Dawg61
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I believe Tennessee is using a combination of counting back, grey shirts and blue shirts. 34 signees is roughly .40% of their 85 man roster so yea this class is huge for them because they only have half as many players on their current roster as the rest of us. Now if they do this again next year they have to be breaking the rules. I'm not so sure they aren't already breaking the rules. Butch Jones wasn't around when the SEC tried to put a stop to this the last time.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Im not saying it is a bad class, but my concern is that one of the WR's has a torn ACL and MCL. That is a major injury. The other WR struggled to stay healthy all season.

My concern is that right now, we have 2 HS OL committed (Harris and Calhoun) and 1 HS DL committed (Hoyett). That is just not good. Actually I didn't realize it was that bad until I went and looked at our commit list. Damn that is light in the pants. I mean Stallings, Harris and Brown would be ok, but you are talking about 3 guys that didn't have a firm offer from us 3 weeks ago. Even if we get all three, you are still seeing 3 HS OL and 3 HS DL, only one DE.

We need to be signing between 4-5 HS OL and HS DL every year.

We only had 2 OL graduate and 1 on the DL graduate. We cant just sign an infinite number of guys. They have to fit the 85 piece puzzle

smootness
01-27-2014, 05:48 PM

You also can't count HSers back, only JUCOs, because the HS kids don't actually sign until February regardless of when they enroll.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I agree about the 2014 season - but we will lose a ton after this year - a ton. Luckily we can start with Dak in 2015, but we need to start surrounding him with players that will be great in 2015 so his run here can be great and not just pretty good.

The 2014 signing class is going to change too much about 2015, good or bad. Most of that work has been done.

I personally think our success in 2015 lies with how well we replace Clausell, Beckwith and Day. Do that, and we might not see much of a drop-off at all. Muniz and Robinson obviously don't matter. The development of Joquell Johnson is big here too. I like to think we've got our starters for the next two years at least in Malone and Clayborn. Hopefully Desper and Senior can fill the void, they'll be redshirt juniors, so maturity shouldn't be the issue.

Johnson85
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
We only had 2 OL graduate and 1 on the DL graduate. We cant just sign an infinite number of guys. They have to fit the 85 piece puzzle

I still hate to see only 2 HS OL though. If we sign 4 HS OL per year, you're looking at having 20 OL on your 85 man roster assuming you redshirt every OL you get (basically plausible) and have no attrition (obviously not plausible), so basically 23.5%. Ignoring special teams, you have 22 spots to fill, so basically you have 23.5% of your roster dedicated to a little less than 23% of the positions you need to fill. That ignores the fact that you really have more than 11 positions to fill on each side of the ball because of multiple formations on offense and defense, but considering how hit or miss OL recruiting is and how important the OL is, it seems like OL should be over represented, so 4 a year seems about right. We could then use JUCO to back fill for attrition and the years we only get 3 legitimate prospects.

But signing only 2 HS OL in a class seems to put a ton of pressure on the next class or to hit on some JUCOs in three years when those 2 HS OL will presumably be RS JRs.

Todd4State
01-27-2014, 06:22 PM

The bottom line is we have to get our numbers straight.

esplanade91
01-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm ok with signing 2 HS OL when we we're already somewhat deep there and we also get a JUCO tackle. You've also got to consider Hutch a quasi OL too. Isn't Calhoun projected as a C? If that's the case, it should help ease the pain of losing out on a guy who really only could play C.

Obviously we can't start signing 4-5 JUCO linemen every year ('03 all over again!!!!!) but Mississippi JUCO's always seem to produce at least average SEC OL. That's our safety blanket.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Dont forget we are moving Warren to OT also

esplanade91
01-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Dont forget we are moving Warren to OT also

First I'm hearing about that, but probably a solid course of action for everyone involved. Less crowded TE bench, more help at OL... better for him, better for the team. I like OT's who have extensive experience at TE in high school... this is better.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 10:18 PM
This is good news, and no I hadn't heard this yet.