PDA

View Full Version : If you are pissed off about how certain media people treat MSU...

codeDawg
01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
there are a couple of things you can do. Anybody that works for a semi-responsible employer has KPI's they have to meet. In media, most of those indicators are readership based or subscription based.

If there is someone whom you feel is misrepresenting MSU in the media and you are reading their material, following them on social media, subscribing to their service, or linking to their content YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. You are validating and rewarding their behavior even if you are disagreeing. In this new media world subscriptions, hits, and followers are all that matter.

What to do about it:
1. Stop engaging those who do not further our interests. Drop any subscription, unfollow, and just generally ignore these people.
2. If a negative article is reported, don't visit the site and feed the sensationalism with hits. Don't comment on it in social media and elevate the exposure. Don't post it on this board and drive more traffic there.
3. Send a message to the management of whomever you are dropping. Let them know you are gone and why. Don't be inflammatory, just explain that you don't feel you interests are being represented and you are choosing to get your information elsewhere. It's not what each of these messages says, it's the quantity of them received.
4. Do engage those who are responsible and do further our interests.
5. Do read positive, responsible, well written articles and share those in social media, message boards, etc.

It really is that simple.

TL;DR Stop feeding the media trolls.

Political Hack
01-27-2014, 02:03 PM
done all of the above.

mjh94
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
great points, i did most of those a long time ago.

codeDawg
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Let me also add, 90% of MSU related news can be had by following the official MSU feeds and administration. The other 10% is recruiting and Paul Jones is about the only media person I trust to not crap the bed. He may not have the latest, most tantalizing development all the time, but he generally won't be dropping kid's offers for our coaching staff either. Everything else is just a bunch of unnecessary regurgitation and drama. Nobody has any original content anymore.

Full disclosure: I don't subscribe to any services anymore. I was subscribed to them all at one point, but eventually decided it was all garbage.

BullDog
01-27-2014, 07:25 PM
And If they aint eatin grits or pork in the Ville. Then Add by subtraction.

M.Fillmore
01-27-2014, 09:34 PM
While I agree with much of this, it should be pointed out that the Bears go ape nuts when they have something negative printed about them, and that approach has seemed to work.

codeDawg
01-27-2014, 10:10 PM
While I agree with much of this, it should be pointed out that the Bears go ape nuts when they have something negative printed about them, and that approach has seemed to work.

Because they already have the right support in place. We don't. We just feed the trolls.