PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss drops Alfred Dickens

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-27-2014, 12:24 PM
So while om fans are jumping up and down about a 3* Olineman that they really didn't want and are criticizing Mullen for pulling his scholarship, I wonder how they feel about what is being done to Alfred Dickens? He's been committed to om since 8 June and now they're cutting him with only a few days left until signing day....

Homedawg
01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
So while om fans are jumping up and down about a 3* Olineman that they really didn't want and are criticizing Mullen for pulling his scholarship, I wonder how they feel about what is being done to Alfred Dickens? He's been committed to om since 8 June and now they're cutting him with only a few days left until signing day....

Wise choice. He's not an sec player. Hate they figured it out.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 12:27 PM

I think they are cutting him because of the injury - it was a bad one. Either way - this is going to hurt them.

I hope it hurts them with Fred Walls - he is a big time junior LB, I would love to get in the game with him.

Westdawg
01-27-2014, 12:28 PM
hmm,
something doesnt pass the smell test on this drop.

question for the board, did Bryant take a visit to OM or ever expressed serious interest in him? I would be surprised that he is a grade issue, given that they could sign and place him at NWCC or NECC and not skip a beat. I dont know much on this kid, but seemed to be a decent pickup for them. who are they making room for to replace him, is the question....or is this more of a "making room for Rawlings" deal ?

Westdawg
01-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Fred Walls is good. and there are SEVERAL good players in the MidSouth in this next year's class. I got some good connections in the Memphis coaching circle. we need to do some serious visiting in Memphis this spring!

engie
01-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Dickens is hurt and may never play football again...

smootness
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Talty will have the article allowing his HS coach to blast them any day now**

msstate7
01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Talty will have the article allowing his HS coach to blast them any day now**

I just tweeted him:

@BrianKbs1228: @JTalty can't wait to read your article about OM dumping dickens complete with hs coach interview.

He tweeted back:

@JTalty: @BrianKbs1228 I'm working on it

smootness
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I just tweeted him:

@BrianKbs1228: @JTalty can't wait to read your article about OM dumping dickens complete with hs coach interview.

He tweeted back:

@JTalty: @BrianKbs1228 I'm working on it

Nice, hope he prints everything.

RBritt
01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Leo Lewis would show Walls a thing or two.

smootness
01-27-2014, 12:49 PM
2015 will be one of the most interesting years in in-state recruiting in a long time. It is a loaded class and a lot of them seem to either have State ties or be State leans at this point...but it's difficult to see us actually landing a large majority of them because it so rarely happens on either side. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

But as of now, I've heard we lead for:
Fletcher Adams
Leo Lewis
Malik Dear
Gardner Minshew

and that we have a good shot with Peters, Patterson, and J'Mar Smith as well. And we obviously have Washington, Jay Johnson, and Myers already committed while they have Hibbler and Walls.

BeastMan
01-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Nice, hope he prints everything.

I'm sure he will and I bet ya Dickens coach doesn't give quotes with gasoline and matched infused in them.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 12:51 PM

I heard that he didn't even recognize family members after the injury. I really hope he ends up ok.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Leo Lewis would show Walls a thing or two.

Would be a great duo.

jimbo352
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
I heard that he didn't even recognize family members after the injury. I really hope he ends up ok.

It was brutal... I feel very badly for him.

Todd4State
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm sure he will and I bet ya Dickens coach doesn't give quotes with gasoline and matched infused in them.

I don't think they even have a coach right now.

Homedawg
01-27-2014, 01:27 PM

I didn't know that tks

jimbo352
01-27-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't think they even have a coach right now.

I thought they hired some Alabama or Auburn alum... The last thing Mississippi needs is another HS coach pushing kids to Alabama/Auburn...

justwin
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
minshew is the most important on that list. Would love to have him @ MSU. Tremendous jr year video on youtube.

2015 will be one of the most interesting years in in-state recruiting in a long time. It is a loaded class and a lot of them seem to either have State ties or be State leans at this point...but it's difficult to see us actually landing a large majority of them because it so rarely happens on either side. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

But as of now, I've heard we lead for:
Fletcher Adams
Leo Lewis
Malik Dear
Gardner Minshew

and that we have a good shot with Peters, Patterson, and J'Mar Smith as well. And we obviously have Washington, Jay Johnson, and Myers already committed while they have Hibbler and Walls.

msstate7
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
minshew is the most important on that list. Would love to have him @ MSU. Tremendous jr year video on youtube.

If we minshew, we'll have 5 scholarship qb's going into 2015. One would likely have to leave or change positions

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2014, 02:05 PM
I'd much rather have J'mar Smith as our qb for the 2015 class. Fits Mullen offense to a T & has improved his passing each year over the last 3 years.

CousinEddie
01-27-2014, 02:09 PM
he didn't even remember family, friends, etc for weeks after the hit...and then one day woke up and remembered everyone

My guess is the kid never plays football again...and I would be willing to bet that they apply for a medical hardship waiver so they can honor the scholarship...

hailmari
01-27-2014, 02:46 PM

I disagree. He was an excellent tackler and played very hard. Dickens would've fit in their defense perfectly since they seem to go for the smaller, yet aggressive LBs. I would've liked to have him here if we had room. He could probably play safety too.

Brahmabull
01-27-2014, 03:15 PM
For those of us that don't know, what happened to Dickens? Also, is Minchew a SEC level QB?? I have heard several from Brandon say he might be a lower D-I QB rather than SEC. I don't know and don't have a dog in that hunt.

sandwolf
01-27-2014, 03:20 PM
he didn't even remember family, friends, etc for weeks after the hit...and then one day woke up and remembered everyone

My guess is the kid never plays football again...and I would be willing to bet that they apply for a medical hardship waiver so they can honor the scholarship...

Damn......was it just a really bad concussion or what?

whosyourdawgy
01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
On Twitter, Jeremy Wright says that UM is trying to get Dickens a medical hardship scholarship. If true, thats a pretty upstanding thing of them to do

Big4Dawg
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Alred Dickens was rated 16 by yancy. Rawlings is 25.
Anyone wanna bet these get flipped?

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Alred Dickens was rated 16 by yancy. Rawlings is 25.
Anyone wanna bet these get flipped?

I don't know what steve ranked these guys, but Rawlings is going to need a parachute.

Homedawg
01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I disagree. He was an excellent tackler and played very hard. Dickens would've fit in their defense perfectly since they seem to go for the smaller, yet aggressive LBs. I would've liked to have him here if we had room. He could probably play safety too.

He's too small for lb the way we play and too slow to play safety. He's a tweener. As for his injury. Why would ole miss not sign him anyway? He could go on medical and not count against the 85 and get a free ride and they wouldn't get any bad pub. They must think he is going to be cleared. Anyhow, glad its them but we probably wont hear anything public about this.

Homedawg
01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
On Twitter, Jeremy Wright says that UM is trying to get Dickens a medical hardship scholarship. If true, thats a pretty upstanding thing of them to do

This would make sense.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 04:20 PM

uhhhh no. Minshew is in no way a high priority in this next class

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Ehh did you use a bear homer on twitter as your source of info? If Jeremy Wright says it so, then it must be.

CousinEddie
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
For those of us that don't know, what happened to Dickens?

http://www.americanownews.com/story/23632145/football-players-concussion-hits-close-to-home-for-students-parents

It happened a few months ago, and from what I can gather from friends and customers in OB...the doctors still can't give him a conclusive answer as to whether or not he will ever be able to play again

I'm conflicted. Of course if a kid can pay for college with football, I'm all for it...but this is one of those situations where I hope the NCAA just lets Ole Miss give the kid a medical hardship and honor the scholarship without letting him play football.

if one concussion did that, it's scary to think what another one would do

This is just one of those things where all rivalries aside...everyone can agree that maybe football just isn't in the cards for Mr Dickens.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck

whosyourdawgy
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I will be completely honest, i have no clue who the Hell he is. He just tweeted something that makes a little sense. No clue if he's a homer or not

K9 Avenger
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Minshew is the LEAST important on that list...not even close

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Update:
On 2 Feb this was posted on Reb247:

I am told that 2014 Olive Branch (Miss.) High School linebacker Alfred Dickens was not/has not been medically cleared to resume any form of contact football following a concussion he sustained during his senior season in a game versus South Panola. While he has been removed from the commit list because he cannot play contact football at this time, Ole Miss has not "dropped" him. In fact, the Rebels are vigorously pursuing an appeal for a medical exception on behalf of Dickens so that he may enroll at Ole Miss.

Then yesterday this was posted:
Olive Branch LB Alfred Dickens ended up signing with Northwest Mississippi Community College where he will attempt to continue his football career. Ole Miss had offered to pay for his college education but it would have meant an end to his football career had he accepted it. Apparently he has now been cleared for contact by at least one doctor.

That's some interesting timing of being cleared right after signing day, with no hope of him playing football just a few days before...

I seen it dawg
02-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Spin at work. Sorry ****ers.

CadaverDawg
02-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Update:
On 2 Feb this was posted on Reb247:

I am told that 2014 Olive Branch (Miss.) High School linebacker Alfred Dickens was not/has not been medically cleared to resume any form of contact football following a concussion he sustained during his senior season in a game versus South Panola. While he has been removed from the commit list because he cannot play contact football at this time, Ole Miss has not "dropped" him. In fact, the Rebels are vigorously pursuing an appeal for a medical exception on behalf of Dickens so that he may enroll at Ole Miss.

Then yesterday this was posted:
Olive Branch LB Alfred Dickens ended up signing with Northwest Mississippi Community College where he will attempt to continue his football career. Ole Miss had offered to pay for his college education but it would have meant an end to his football career had he accepted it. Apparently he has now been cleared for contact by at least one doctor.

That's some interesting timing of being cleared right after signing day, with no hope of him playing football just a few days before...

Damn, they spun the shit out of that.

So, he was so bad physically that he was not only unable to be cleared, but his football career was likely over, so the Rebs were going to be sweet and allow him to just go to school for free (yea right). But suddenly he was cleared by a doctor and decided not to take their offer of school but no football, and transferred to Northwest to "continue his football career". But they "didn't drop him"?

So if you tell a kid that you no longer have a scholly for football, but you can go to school for free here if you want. He gets cleared to play, you stick to that even though he was cleared...so he transfers because he "wants to play football but no longer has that option at Ole miss". Yes, morons, you DROPPED him.

MSUDawg4Life
02-08-2014, 09:01 AM
These people are the scum of the earth.

Dawg61
02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Haha BUSTED

Political Hack
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
That's pretty scummy.