PDA

View Full Version : Who should have their media credentials revoked ?

elitedawgs
01-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Poll coming

chainedup_Dawg
01-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I really would've liked to have said Stevens and Rosebowl only but there wasn't an option for that. Let me explain, Stevens and Rosebowl should be shit canned for obvious reasons. However, and it may not be popular, but Gene I think deserves to stick around. The ONLY reason I say that is because I consider him a sunshine pumper. We have all talked about how we need our media pulling in the same direction and being positive like OM's. Just my .02

Perpetual Underachiever
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
... I consider him a sunshine pumper...

We absolutely could use less "doom and gloom" and more "sunshine pumping!"

War Machine Dawg
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree, I'd have voted for a "Stevens & Rosie only" option. But since I didn't have that, I went with the total banhammer. There's definitely a place for a sunshine pumper like Gene in terms of helping the fan base & media all pull in the same direction.

Percho
01-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I voted none. Why? If they really are media, I believe in the freedom of the press. If they are only opinions, then one asshole is no better than another.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Pretty close race between Stevens and "all of the above" so far.

Todd4State
01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm OK with Gene. He hasn't done anything to hurt MSU lately. If you say that, well- Rosebowl is part of his site, and therefore they are together- I can buy that.

There's freedom of speech- but MSU should also protect itself and not put itself out there to be bashed.

Rosebowl has hurt us three years in a row, and he still claims no wrong doing and that he's really right. He is either one of the most arrogant people in the world or incredibly clueless.

bully99
01-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Combover..(Stevens)
Shaggy...(Talty)

FlabLoser
01-27-2014, 01:31 PM
1. Matt Stevens, yesterday. He is a consistent liability.

2. Rosebowl & Jean - Their roles, along with Michael Wardlaw, in DeVinner gate are grounds for loss of credentials. Otherwise, I have to say I like Jean better than Rosebowl only for the sunshine pumping. I don't particularly like sunshine pumping, but pumping sunshine beats wet blanket reporting or negativity bias (Kyle Veazey) any day.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
I voted none. Why? If they really are media, I believe in the freedom of the press. If they are only opinions, then one asshole is no better than another.

My only problem with that is Jean, 247, and Rivals are fan sites of the school. They are supposed to be for the betterment of the school- not to cause problems

The Croom Diaries
01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Well you can absolutely forget about anyone from Genespage getting their credentials revoked. The athletic department loves them, and there are even guys who work for MSU who openly post on their message board. They get whatever they want from the admin and are loved like none other. Part of the problem is that our admin buys into the idea that Bracky is good for MSU, and don't know view Rosebowl and Gene's affiliation with DeVinner near the same many on this board (including me) do.

Stevens could potentially get his revoked.

I don't think Rosebowl ever even gets credentialed at MSU, how often does he even step foot on campus? I do appreciate some of the coverage Gene provides, and while he doesn't fall in line with my ideals I can still appreciate what he does and would not advocate for him to get his credentials revoked.

sandwolf
01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Well you can absolutely forget about anyone from Genespage getting their credentials revoked. The athletic department loves them, and there are even guys who work for MSU who openly post on their message board. They get whatever they want from the admin and are loved like none other.

This right here is why I laugh every time I see the same few folks doing everything that they can to push the idea that Gene and/or Steve are detrimental to MSU. I mean, I can completely understand thinking that they suck as people and just not liking them, but to try to push the idea that they "hurt MSU 3 years in a row," etc., etc., is completely absurd and it really makes it look like you have a hidden agenda.......anyone with half a brain knows that the athletic department would not be such big fans of them if half of what yall say is true.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
, but to try to push the idea that they "hurt MSU 3 years in a row," etc., etc., is completely absurd and it really makes it look like you have a hidden agenda.......anyone with half a brain knows that the athletic department would not be such big fans of them if half of what yall say is true.

All we have done here is show what Steve and Jean have pulled. It's up to you "half a brain" people to sort out the info

Op4isabitch
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I voted all of the above. However I would have voted for Stevens and Rosebowl if that was an option!

engie
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
This right here is why I laugh every time I see the same few folks doing everything that they can to push the idea that Gene and/or Steve are detrimental to MSU. I mean, I can completely understand thinking that they suck as people and just not liking them, but to try to push the idea that they "hurt MSU 3 years in a row," etc., etc., is completely absurd and it really makes it look like you have a hidden agenda.......anyone with half a brain knows that the athletic department would not be such big fans of them if half of what yall say is true.

Steve's outburst this weekend about Bryant helped MSU how?

Last year -- he tweeted all about Mackensie Alexander, a 5*, committing to us during the middle of his official visit at MSU. Alexander was then bombarded by reporterse seeking comment -- and had to issue a bunch of different denials. He didn't get to enjoy his OV to the fullest extent possible -- and left with a sour taste in his mouth about the whole ordeal -- before later actually signing with Clemson. How did Steve help us here?

Two years ago, he tweeted that Beniquez and Richie Brown both committed to MSU. Both were intending on having signing day announcements. Well, he jumped the gun on them. Actually did it twice for Beni. And stole their thunder. How was this good for MSU?

ALL of that is public record. Explain to me how it was good for MSU.

Todd4State
01-27-2014, 06:35 PM

If not wanting one of our recruiting reporters to hurt MSU is an agenda, then I guess I have an agenda.

If the athletic dept. can't see how Rosebowl- more specifically than Gene- has hurt us, then they are blind. I can't believe that Dan would approve of some of the things that he has done.

Like I said- if he had simply said that Bryant went on an OV to USM- then that's doing his job. He took it to the next level by saying that his scholarship was gone when it's now obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that wasn't the case. That's something that could have unneccessarily cost us a good player, not to mention the fact that the whole incident caused to coaches to take time away from the OV this weekend as well.

FlabLoser
01-27-2014, 06:49 PM

The Redmond investigation was about to be over with him getting a light wrist slap until a few MSU recruiting reporters cozied up to DeVinner and got him talking publicly. It cost Redmond roughly 15 additional games and probation.

Did that hurt MSU? Hell yes.

gravedigger
01-27-2014, 07:11 PM
None. Fools names, like fools faces should always be shown in public places.

hacker
01-27-2014, 09:14 PM

This has nothing to do with freedom of the press. Freedom of the Press means that the press is free to report whatever they want. It does not guarantee them sources -- especially privileged sources.

Mississippi State does not have to allow inside access to anyone any more than you have to allow someone into your backyard to report on your annual cookout.

sandwolf
01-27-2014, 11:24 PM
If the athletic dept. can't see how Rosebowl- more specifically than Gene- has hurt us, then they are blind. I can't believe that Dan would approve of some of the things that he has done.

This is exactly my point. If genespage was actually doing things that hurt our football program, Mullen would come down on them like a ton of bricks and he would have them blackballed. The bottom line is that the folks with all the facts (or at least more of the facts than you, coach, engie, etc. have) think very highly of them, and I would say that is fairly solid evidence that they are not doing things that hurt MSU.

engie
01-27-2014, 11:34 PM
This is exactly my point. If genespage was actually doing things that hurt our football program, Mullen would come down on them like a ton of bricks and he would have them blackballed
Really? Like he's done to Matt Stevens?
Wait -- you probably don't think he's done anything to hurt our program either, do you?

The bottom line is that the folks with all the facts (or at least more of the facts than you, coach, engie, etc. have) think very highly of them, and I would say that is fairly solid evidence that they are not doing things that hurt MSU.
No. That's just fairly solid evidence that they kissed the right asses over the years and are so ingrained into the fabric now that they can't easily be eradicated.

Your mind is made up on this -- and ours damn sure is -- so I don't really understand what your point is? Backing De'Vinner and encouraging him to take his grossly exaggerated story public was good for MSU according to you. Got it.

Todd4State
01-28-2014, 12:31 AM
This is exactly my point. If genespage was actually doing things that hurt our football program, Mullen would come down on them like a ton of bricks and he would have them blackballed. The bottom line is that the folks with all the facts (or at least more of the facts than you, coach, engie, etc. have) think very highly of them, and I would say that is fairly solid evidence that they are not doing things that hurt MSU.

Apparently not. Because it hasn't happened yet. At least not publicly. It certainly may have happened behind closed doors for all we know- but probably not since he lives in Baton Rouge. MSU has handled the media very poorly for years- and when I say years, I'm talking about since my grandfather's lifetime. It's a huge weakness for the athletic dept. And that goes for all aspects from promoting our players and preventing the media from doing harm through negative publicity. I think Dak's Heisman campaign is a huge test for MSU in that regard.

I think Gene does a good job covering baseball. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's maybe even the best internet person at covering a college baseball team in America. I say that with all sincerity. I think that's a big reason why he is allowed in. Kyle Niblett posts on his site.

Rosebowl however, is a problem. He's pompous, arrogant, and he always thinks that he is right even when he is obviously wrong. And you know what- that's OK, EXCEPT when he hurts MSU.

I'd be very interested to know what "facts" we're allegedly wrong about here. It's not like any of this is hearsay or top secret insider stuff. This is stuff that happened for all the world to see.

1. DeVinner- he encouraged him to talk and that caused Redmond's suspension to be longer than it should have been.

2. He broke Mackenzie Alexander's commitment too soon which caused him to get bombarded by people wanting to know if it was true and that left a bad taste in his mouth and then he went to Clemson.

3. He said that Bryant's scholarship offer was gone when in fact it wasn't.

4. When Kameron Wood left Ole Miss's football team- he claimed that he got and I paraphrase "what he deserved". Because he duped Steve and Gene by making them come to his press conference where he committed to Ole Miss when they thought he was coming to MSU. That didn't hurt the football team, but it's a poor reflection of someone representing MSU and not to mention totally classless. It also shows how vindictive Steve is.

5. He broke Beniquez Brown's commitment too soon stealing his day in the sun. Didn't hurt us- but it certainly could have.

There's no denying any of it. It's in black and white. All Rosebowl ever does when someone actually confronts him is he just says, "I was right and you don't know what you're talking about" and then his legion of cult members take it at face value despite the facts and then tell him how awesome he is and thanks for putting the truth out. It's actually a little bit scary.

I just don't see anything good that he has ever really done. I don't get MSU fans defending him. And while this thread is about revoking media credentials, all I really want is for some accountability. Someone needs to sit his ass down and tell him that he doesn't have the authority to call recruits liars (even if they did, and I think that's debatable in this case given the nature of recruiting) and pull their scholarship offers no matter what info he has or how he interprets the info he has. If a kid makes him "look bad"- be an adult and understand you're dealing with 18 year olds.

justwin
01-28-2014, 01:20 AM
as for Bryant, seemed like it made Bryant quickly realize what he was doing and call the MSU coaches to reaffirm what he had told them the weekend prior.

On Alexander, I could be wrong, but I recall a fictitious twitter account posing as Alexander being created, then claiming a commitment, then it vanished rather quickly. My hunch that was done by OM. In the meantime, Did Steve also report the same thing that the fake twitter account claimed, yes, but I don't recall him starting that lie.

I thought Steve or Gene was there to report on Richie's announcement on NSD? I enjoyed reading that story.

[QUOTE=engie;124378]Steve's outburst this weekend about Bryant helped MSU how?

Last year -- he tweeted all about Mackensie Alexander, a 5*, committing to us during the middle of his official visit at MSU. Alexander was then bombarded by reporterse seeking comment -- and had to issue a bunch of different denials. He didn't get to enjoy his OV to the fullest extent possible -- and left with a sour taste in his mouth about the whole ordeal -- before later actually signing with Clemson. How did Steve help us here?

sandwolf
01-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Really? Like he's done to Matt Stevens?
Wait -- you probably don't think he's done anything to hurt our program either, do you?

I definitely feel like someone should put Stevens in his place. But he hasn't done anything on the level that you are talking about either.

No. That's just fairly solid evidence that they kissed the right asses over the years and are so ingrained into the fabric now that they can't easily be eradicated.

Bullshit. If they were costing us recruits or costing Redmond eligibility, they could be easily eradicated.

Your mind is made up on this -- and ours damn sure is -- so I don't really understand what your point is? Backing De'Vinner and encouraging him to take his grossly exaggerated story public was good for MSU according to you. Got it.

Calm down......and stop trying to put words in my mouth. They definitely did not handle the De'Vinner situation well at all. I don't know any details about them encouraging him to go public, but I do remember both Gene and Steve taking up for him on the message boards in the beginning. They were naive and allowed themselves to be manipulated.....that was without a doubt a **** up, but let's not act like that had an effect on the end result of that whole deal.

War Machine Dawg
01-28-2014, 01:30 AM
I definitely feel like someone should put Stevens in his place. But he hasn't done anything on the level that you are talking about either.

Bullshit. If they were costing us recruits or costing Redmond eligibility, they could be easily eradicated.

Calm down......and stop trying to put words in my mouth. They definitely did not handle the De'Vinner situation well at all. I don't know any details about them encouraging him to go public, but I do remember both Gene and Steve taking up for him on the message boards in the beginning. They were naive and allowed themselves to be manipulated.....that was without a doubt a **** up, but let's not act like that had an effect on the end result of that whole deal.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg.html)

sandwolf
01-28-2014, 02:47 AM
Apparently not. Because it hasn't happened yet. At least not publicly. It certainly may have happened behind closed doors for all we know- but probably not since he lives in Baton Rouge. MSU has handled the media very poorly for years- and when I say years, I'm talking about since my grandfather's lifetime. It's a huge weakness for the athletic dept. And that goes for all aspects from promoting our players and preventing the media from doing harm through negative publicity. I think Dak's Heisman campaign is a huge test for MSU in that regard.

I agree that MSU handles the media very poorly. But if GP were having as negative of an effect as yall tend to portray, then I feel like it would be addressed.....or at the very least, our athletic department would not be as fond of them as they reportedly are.

I'd be very interested to know what "facts" we're allegedly wrong about here. It's not like any of this is hearsay or top secret insider stuff. This is stuff that happened for all the world to see.

I don't know and I never claimed to. All I said was that I feel pretty confident that the people in our ath. dept. have a better understanding of everything that actually transpired in these situations than yall do......and if everything played out exactly the way yall say it did, then they wouldn't be so popular with our ath. dept.

1. DeVinner- he encouraged him to talk and that caused Redmond's suspension to be longer than it should have been.

So you are saying that Gene and Steve had an effect on the length of Redmond's suspension? That is completely ridiculous.

2. He broke Mackenzie Alexander's commitment too soon which caused him to get bombarded by people wanting to know if it was true and that left a bad taste in his mouth and then he went to Clemson.

Here is the way I remember that situation (according to Steve)....MA sent Steve a text saying that he had committed.....Steve put it on the board and it went viral.....then Steve got another text from him saying that he actually wasn't ready to commit yet. Obviously, I have no way of knowing how it actually happened, but based on Steve's account, he was reporting information that he got directly from MA (and he was never asked not to report it). I am going off of memory, so some of these details may be off, but the way Steve told it, it sounded more like MA got caught up in the moment on his OV and told Steve he had committed, when he wasn't actually ready to.

3. He said that Bryant's scholarship offer was gone when in fact it wasn't.

I have a feeling that Bryant's offer was gone, up until he called the staff. Hell for all we know the staff had Steve report that to send a message to Bryant and his family.

Now, that being said, I do feel like he was out of line with the comment about "Recruits taking visits that they said they wouldn't take"......he definitely shouldn't call out a recruit like that, and that definitely could have hurt us with Bryant.

4. When Kameron Wood left Ole Miss's football team- he claimed that he got and I paraphrase "what he deserved". Because he duped Steve and Gene by making them come to his press conference where he committed to Ole Miss when they thought he was coming to MSU. That didn't hurt the football team, but it's a poor reflection of someone representing MSU and not to mention totally classless. It also shows how vindictive Steve is.

5. He broke Beniquez Brown's commitment too soon stealing his day in the sun. Didn't hurt us- but it certainly could have.

There's no denying any of it. It's in black and white. All Rosebowl ever does when someone actually confronts him is he just says, "I was right and you don't know what you're talking about" and then his legion of cult members take it at face value despite the facts and then tell him how awesome he is and thanks for putting the truth out. It's actually a little bit scary.

I just don't see anything good that he has ever really done. I don't get MSU fans defending him. And while this thread is about revoking media credentials, all I really want is for some accountability. Someone needs to sit his ass down and tell him that he doesn't have the authority to call recruits liars (even if they did, and I think that's debatable in this case given the nature of recruiting) and pull their scholarship offers no matter what info he has or how he interprets the info he has. If a kid makes him "look bad"- be an adult and understand you're dealing with 18 year olds.

I agree that the tweet that called out Bryant was unacceptable. And I agree that when Steve ****s up, he should absolutely be held accountable for it.....I agree 100% with all of that. But when you start shaping narratives (#1 in your post is a clear example of this) and stating rumors as absolute fact, in order to make him and Gene look like they are detrimental to MSU athletics, I feel like you should be called on it.

Todd4State
01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree that MSU handles the media very poorly. But if GP were having as negative of an effect as yall tend to portray, then I feel like it would be addressed.....or at the very least, our athletic department would not be as fond of them as they reportedly are.

You would be right IF MSU actually was firm with the media. The school is not.

1. You can believe whatever you want- or not. When you have someone coming forth publicly like DeVinner did, it forces a school to take action. There is no question about that.

2. About MA- Steve shouldn't put info out immediately like that for that very reason. He should have waited and honestly he should do that on most every recruit.

natchezdawg
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
In the 2004 SEC Tourney. Cost us a really good seed.

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
they hurt MSU tremendously during the course of an ongoing investigation. It almost cost other players games after they sought to make the ordeal public for their own business gains. If not for some quick action by MSU to offset what resulted from their advice, we would've played without several guys for a few games that season.

It was used for business purposes with no regard to how it impacted 1) an MSU student-athlete, 2) the football team, and 3) the MSU compliance department. Sometimes it's best to just shut up.

name one other team related site that has ever encouraged "a rat" and/or "a liar" to go public against their own program? How the hell anyone can defend that is beyond me.

ScottH
01-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Double Post

engie
01-28-2014, 09:07 PM
they hurt MSU tremendously during the course of an ongoing investigation. It almost cost other players games after they sought to make the ordeal public for their own business gains. If not for some quick action by MSU to offset what resulted from their advice, we would've played without several guys for a few games that season.

It was used for business purposes with no regard to how it impacted 1) an MSU student-athlete, 2) the football team, and 3) the MSU compliance department. Sometimes it's best to just shut up.

name one other team related site that has ever encouraged "a rat" and/or "a liar" to go public against their own program? How the hell anyone can defend that is beyond me.

Yet, we've obviously got a very vocal faction that's got their back regardless.

Same faction that are probably still pissed off about John Cohen and his cussing.

ScottH
01-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Can you imagine if he did it while "covering" Bama of LSU?

engie
01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Can you imagine if he did it while "covering" Bama of LSU?

That's why I'm glad we've got an "LSU" SID now. Hopefully, he curtails all of this type of bullshit.

Coach34
01-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Yet, we've obviously got a very vocal faction that's got their back regardless.

and this absolutely blows my mind

"Here Jean and Steve, let me continue to give you money each month after you befriended a known rat and a liar about Miss State, then say it was "poor judgement".