PDA

View Full Version : Pulling offers/Rawlings/etc....If the crootin battle is down to MSU vs. Ole Miss.....

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Is it really that bad to pull the offer? I don't think so, WHEN it's the right battle. Look at Marlon Humphrey - that guy has offers from everywhere and we aren't pulling shit in regards to him. He gets a spot no matter what. Then look at Sean Rawlings, he's basically between us and Ole Miss. Come on, every single one of us knows that neither of the schools are really better than the other, and everybody falls into one of two categories. There isn't a real decision to be made here, either you're an MSU type or an Ole Miss type, bottom line. We all knew Rawlings was an Ole Miss type from the beginning, so it shouldn't shock any of you that we pulled his offer. Our coaches knew from the beginning that if Ole Miss offered this guy, he was gone. So when his dad needed more time, we simply said no thanks. Same with Bryant. If you're playing around with Ole Miss and USM, come on son, you obviously don't want to be at MSU bad enough. He got lucky as f*ck. Again, there's really not a decision to be made, it's internal. If there is a decision, most likely it's because you're being influenced by outside factors (and we all know what these can be).

All that said, the point I'm trying to make is that pulling offers is not that big of a deal and nobody should care if we do it, especially with in-state battles. Sure, it matters the caliber of player (Humphreys obviously is more in demand than Rawlings/Bryant), but it also matters who you are doing battle against for the player.

smootness
01-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Rawlings and Bryant are not in the same category. Rawlings isn't a guy you hold a spot out for hoping you can still get him. Bryant is.

In that way, Bryant is closer to Humphrey than to Rawlings.

Yes, I care if the staff is pulling offers of good players that we still could land. But we don't do that, so there's not much to discuss.

Bo Darville
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't think the staff pulled the offer because the competition was Ole Miss. I think it was simply that we sit here 9 days from signing day and we have to finalize our class. That is just the nuts and bolts of it. We told Rawlings that we simply had to know if he was in or out. When he couldn't give us an answer we had to move on because we have comparable talent that we can go acquire. The exact same with Bryant. We told Bryant that we had to know if he was in or out. He assured us that he was in the boat. It's time that guys have to make a concrete decision. You can't wait until the last minute unless they are elite talent where the risk is worth the reward (Chris Jones, Marlon Humphrey). Neither Rawlings or Bryant fits in that category.

deltadawg99
01-27-2014, 02:50 PM
It's all depends on the situation.

In the case of Rawlings yes it was fine to pull the scholarship. It's less than 2 weeks away and we are tight on the numbers. If he wanted to go play for OM we needed to know so that we could give that scholarship to somebody else.

Pulling his scholarship was not a sour grapes thing, it was simply a business decision because of the numbers.

smootness
01-27-2014, 02:57 PM
It's all depends on the situation.

In the case of Rawlings yes it was fine to pull the scholarship. It's less than 2 weeks away and we are tight on the numbers. If he wanted to go play for OM we needed to know so that we could give that scholarship to somebody else.

Pulling his scholarship was not a sour grapes thing, it was simply a business decision because of the numbers.

And BTW, if our coaches thought there was still a chance we could get him, we wouldn't have pulled the offer. We were going to know Thursday of this week one way or another. I guarantee you our staff knew he was already gone to Ole Miss and just wanted him to go ahead and come out and say it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
And BTW, if our coaches thought there was still a chance we could get him, we wouldn't have pulled the offer. We were going to know Thursday of this week one way or another. I guarantee you our staff knew he was already gone to Ole Miss and just wanted him to go ahead and come out and say it.
The kid and his family essentially gave up the offer when they scheduled a visit to om without an offer. They had been to om numerous times, so why the need for a visit when he was "committed" to MSU and didn't have an offer from om?

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 03:04 PM
The coaches knew full well from the beginning that if Ole Miss offered he was gone. Back in the fall or whenever it was.

They've finally learned not to 'allow' Ole Miss to win the press conference.

fishwater99
01-27-2014, 03:16 PM
The coaches knew full well from the beginning that if Ole Miss offered he was gone. Back in the fall or whenever it was.

This!!!!

Apoplectic
01-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Just as he did for fumbling bumbling BO he figures make scum burn those schollies and not let them get freebie walkons.