PDA

View Full Version : Personalized forecasts: Winter Storm Edition

TheRef
01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Okay, I'm feeling adventurous. If anyone would like a personalized forecast for this winter storm event that will occur this week, just drop down your location (general is okay) and I'll start doing the forecasts this afternoon.

Hattdawg
01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Hattiesburg to mobile. I will be traveling between the two Tuesday.

Op4isabitch
01-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Hey Ref, would appreciate one for the Tupelo area, thanks!

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
WHat are the odds the storm shifts north? Pisses me off to live in Starkville and be too far north for snow.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 08:51 AM
WHat are the odds the storm shifts north? Pisses me off to live in Starkville and be too far north for snow.

Odds are low, to be honest. This is going to be a system that stays mainly from I-20 down as far as wintery precipitation.

MSUMatt
01-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Time to play will she or won't she go to school Wednesday. Your thoughts?

TheRef
01-27-2014, 08:56 AM

It all depends on how far North this snow goes. Things are pretty unsure on the Northern extent of the snow. I don't know an individual school district's policy on snow days and dismissal from school.

Hattdawg
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Hey Matt where you from in Smiff county? I grew up there.

K9 Avenger
01-27-2014, 09:18 AM
How about Madison/Jackson metro Ref?

turkish
01-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Baton Rouge?

SignalToNoise
01-27-2014, 09:23 AM
MS Gulf Coast

DownwardDawg
01-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Hey Ref
I gotta drive from Oak Grove to Venice Louisiana early Wednesday morning. What's that looking like?

MSUMatt
01-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey Matt where you from in Smiff county? I grew up there.

Raleigh

HereComesTheSpiral
01-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Rutherford NJ. Should we expect a super bowl Friday, Sat, Sun, or Mon.

Irondawg
01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Have to drive fom Madison to New Orleans Tuesday afternoon/early evening and then spend Wed morning wondering how long my flight out of NO is giong to be delayed.

Hunkaburningdawg
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I also have to travel to NOLA for work tomorrow. I was orginally going to leave tomorrow afternoon, but the threat of icy conditions has me wondering whether I should leave first thing. Thoughts?

Drugdog
01-27-2014, 11:55 AM
How about Silver city to Isola ?
Kidding.

bgover4
01-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Hey ref, are you sure all the white stuff is gonna stay south of Lafayette county? I wouldn't want Henderson to get confused***

Barking 13
01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I don't care, it's just going to be 17ing COLD!!!

EnterpriseDawg
01-27-2014, 02:14 PM
What's the chances it hits Meridian? I would really like a weather day.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey ref, are you sure all the white stuff is gonna stay south of Lafayette county? I wouldn't want Henderson to get confused***

Yupp. I'm absolutely certain about that. Henderson can't get his cocaine lost in the snow this time.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Okay. All of these forecasts are going to be very basic layouts as far as what I will give y'all. If you want more in-depth, I can do that for you but you'll need to tell me that before I will give it to you. So here we go, I'll try to clump ones together that are close to each other.

Statecoachingblows**
01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Coastal Alabama? Never snows here, the panic is on

TheRef
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
#1: Tupelo area

0% chance of snow. Hate to burst your bubble but I don't see any feasible way of there being snow up in Tupelo. The Northern part of the state is just too cold, believe it or not, for our snow chances. The front is pushing too far South for the Tupelo area to get snow. It will be pretty freaking cold though with a high only in the upper 20's for tomorrow with a corresponding low the next evening in the single digits!!!

#2: Highway 82 corridor

Latest model runs (12Z) are showing that we are just about on the borderline for a DUSTING of snow during this event. I put the chances of snow <10% for this whole stretch of area. If the models continue to trend towards pushing this Low more to a Northerly track then we could see more, but I'm not looking at that to be the case. The main snow chances, however, will be further South around the I-20 corridor.

#3: I-20 corridor

This is where it gets tricky. The NAM is keeping the line mostly away from I-20 on the western extent, but will touch the eastern extent of I-20 during the period. This could all change with subsequent soundings and model runs, but everything seems to be touching towards < 1" for the region with the higher amounts towards the Eastern part of the state (Meridian, et. al.) near the I-20 corridor and pushing South towards the coast until about the LA-MS boot begins. I give this area about a 50-60% chance to receive snowfall, although only a light dusting of wet snow is possible further to the West.

#4: NOLA region

NOLA will be interesting to watch also as this is where the Southernmost extent of the snow will likely come from. Now this region will also be subjected to possible freezing rain Tuesday morning lasting throughout the day and into the evening. This will be about as much of a wintry precipitation chance as New Orleans is going to get. Maybe a light dusting of wet wet snow, but that seems quite unlikely.

#5: MS Gulf Coast region

MS Gulf Coast will be subjected to the most snowfall in the regions that have been asked. It certainly is not out of the question to get multiple inches of precipitation (snow/sleet) before this system pushes out. The only reliable model location on the coast is Gulfport, so I'll base all of my forecasts on this location since it has the most data. Everthing looks to be kicking off around early to mid morning Tuesday with some freezing rain. With this freezing rain, there may be some light accumulation on bridges and cars who have been sitting in the cold all night without being run. The freezing rain chances will continue throughout the day until late in the evening around midnight. At that point, snow will become much more likely, granted for only about 3 hours. So the best chance to see snow fall on the coast is late in the night.

If y'all need anything else, just hit me up.

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2014, 02:54 PM
#1: Tupelo area

0% chance of snow. Hate to burst your bubble but I don't see any feasible way of there being snow up in Tupelo. The Northern part of the state is just too cold, believe it or not, for our snow chances. The front is pushing too far South for the Tupelo area to get snow. It will be pretty freaking cold though with a high only in the upper 20's for tomorrow with a corresponding low the next evening in the single digits!!!

#2: Highway 82 corridor

Latest model runs (12Z) are showing that we are just about on the borderline for a DUSTING of snow during this event. I put the chances of snow <10% for this whole stretch of area. If the models continue to trend towards pushing this Low more to a Northerly track then we could see more, but I'm not looking at that to be the case. The main snow chances, however, will be further South around the I-20 corridor.

#3: I-20 corridor

This is where it gets tricky. The NAM is keeping the line mostly away from I-20 on the western extent, but will touch the eastern extent of I-20 during the period. This could all change with subsequent soundings and model runs, but everything seems to be touching towards < 1" for the region with the higher amounts towards the Eastern part of the state (Meridian, et. al.) near the I-20 corridor and pushing South towards the coast until about the LA-MS boot begins. I give this area about a 50-60% chance to receive snowfall, although only a light dusting of wet snow is possible further to the West.

#4: NOLA region

NOLA will be interesting to watch also as this is where the Southernmost extent of the snow will likely come from. Now this region will also be subjected to possible freezing rain Tuesday morning lasting throughout the day and into the evening. This will be about as much of a wintry precipitation chance as New Orleans is going to get. Maybe a light dusting of wet wet snow, but that seems quite unlikely.

#5: MS Gulf Coast region

MS Gulf Coast will be subjected to the most snowfall in the regions that have been asked. It certainly is not out of the question to get multiple inches of precipitation (snow/sleet) before this system pushes out. The only reliable model location on the coast is Gulfport, so I'll base all of my forecasts on this location since it has the most data. Everthing looks to be kicking off around early to mid morning Tuesday with some freezing rain. With this freezing rain, there may be some light accumulation on bridges and cars who have been sitting in the cold all night without being run. The freezing rain chances will continue throughout the day until late in the evening around midnight. At that point, snow will become much more likely, granted for only about 3 hours. So the best chance to see snow fall on the coast is late in the night.

If y'all need anything else, just hit me up.

I just saw a model run (forgot which one) showing sleet and snow falling in the Gulf of Mexico. Makes me want to drag Al Gore's sorry butt down to the beach in a pair of swimming trunks and ask him his thoughts on global warming.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Rutherford NJ. Should we expect a super bowl Friday, Sat, Sun, or Mon.

I don't see them moving the Super Bowl. Snow chances are relatively low for Sunday and temps will be cold, but not anything unusual for NYC area.

drunkernhelldawg
01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Will snow fall into the Gulf of Mexico?

TheRef
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Will snow fall into the Gulf of Mexico?

To be honest, I have no idea.

DownwardDawg
01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
So, no mention of the Hattiesburg area?

TheRef
01-27-2014, 04:43 PM
So, no mention of the Hattiesburg area?

Well....USM has cancelled class due to inclement weather. I'd expect around 2" of snow.

DownwardDawg
01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Well....USM has cancelled class due to inclement weather. I'd expect around 2" of snow.

I have the weather channel app. There was no mention of snow the other night until about 15 minutes after it started snowing.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 06:10 PM
I have the weather channel app. There was no mention of snow the other night until about 15 minutes after it started snowing.

Reason #5135494758956 why I don't like TWC app

FlabLoser
01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
For Jackson, NOAA is predicting 60% for sleet/snow. TWC says 30% snow and nothing else.

I usually find TWC reasonably accurate. Surprised they and NOAA disagree this much for tomorrow.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
How about the mccomb area

Yossarian
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Durham, NC

TheRef
01-27-2014, 07:03 PM
How about the mccomb area

You're going to get a mix. Mostly sleet and freezing rain.

TheRef
01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Durham, NC

NC is a tough call. We did a case-study on it in Forecasting today considering it's such a difficult forecast. You'll probably have mostly snow, though. You'll have around 5 inches of snow accumulation.

Yossarian
01-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Ref. I'd better go get some milk and bread. :-)

Schultzy
01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't see them moving the Super Bowl. Snow chances are relatively low for Sunday and temps will be cold, but not anything unusual for NYC area.

High 39 low 23 mostly sunny... Wind 8 mph. Looks like they're gonna get lucky with the weather for the Super Bowl.

Supposed to rain or snow up there Saturday so it could change though.