PDA

View Full Version : So who is REALLY left in recrootin?

Goat Holder
01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
From all accounts, Durr and Bryant are likely JUCO. Rawlings is out. So let's move on.

We were at 19, minus those 3 we're now at 16. We need another OL or two, so I'm guessing we will take Jervontius Stallings. Obviously Marlon Humphrey, Grant Harris, Trey Carter and Cory Thomas are still out there. I'd like to see us sign Ravian Pierce and place him in a MS JUCO as well. Tee Shepard and Jordan Sims are out there too.

How many more CAN we take, and how many of those can we expect to sign? Is there anybody I'm missing? I see an Anthony Brown (DE from Miami), Marcus Griffin from Washington state and J.T. Gray on the visit lists.

SDDawg
01-26-2014, 11:29 PM
The problem with the sign and place guys is that if they really have a shot to qualify we have to be careful and not overcommit since spots are limited. By my math, after Rawlings has left I think we can sign 6 more at most and due to the late musical chairs and how competitive some of these guys are I'm not sure if we'll fill all those spots. Hope I'm wrong though.

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Sounds like d-linemen are a priority.

1. Stallings
2. Harris
3. Cory Thomas
4. JT Gray
5. Griffen
6. Humphrey

That would be my top six. That would be a really strong finish.

msstate7
01-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Sounds like d-linemen are a priority.

1. Stallings
2. Harris
3. Cory Thomas
4. JT Gray
5. Griffen
6. Humphrey

That would be my top six. That would be a really strong finish.

Trey carter and Marcus griffin are real possibilities

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Trey carter and Marcus griffin are real possibilities

Carter is much more likely than Griffin. I'm still not positive that Griffin will visit. I hope I'm wrong.

smootness
01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
The heck? There have only been rumors about Durr and I'm pretty sure the Bryant talk was just that; I seriously doubt he is likely JUCO.

And we're going to sign them both anyway, so it's at 18, not 16.

My guess is that we probably will have somebody that goes JUCO, but I don't think it's going to be Bryant.

Anyway, I think the remaining legitimate targets are:

Stallings
Carter
Thomas
Griffin
A. Brown
Gray
Sims
Harris
Humphrey

I'd like to sign at least 5 from that group and have most of them be DL.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
We are not going to sign more than 20 and may be as few as 18

smootness
01-27-2014, 09:43 AM
We are not going to sign more than 20 and may be as few as 18

We better sign more than that...if we only add 2 more, that's not enough DL.

dawgclub99
01-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Didnt Talty tweet out that Shepard was transferring to another Juco out west closer to home?

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
From all accounts, Durr and Bryant are likely JUCO. Rawlings is out. So let's move on.

We were at 19, minus those 3 we're now at 16. We need another OL or two, so I'm guessing we will take Jervontius Stallings. Obviously Marlon Humphrey, Grant Harris, Trey Carter and Cory Thomas are still out there. I'd like to see us sign Ravian Pierce and place him in a MS JUCO as well. Tee Shepard and Jordan Sims are out there too.

How many more CAN we take, and how many of those can we expect to sign? Is there anybody I'm missing? I see an Anthony Brown (DE from Miami), Marcus Griffin from Washington state and J.T. Gray on the visit lists.

What accounts have you seen that say Bryant is going to JUCO? He only needs 2 points on his ACT and has 3 more times to take it. I haven't heard that he was sure JUCO guy by anyone.

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2014, 09:52 AM
What accounts have you seen that say Bryant is going to JUCO? He only needs 2 points on his ACT and has 3 more times to take it. I haven't heard that he was sure JUCO guy by anyone.

Neon from Blue Chips says standardized tests are culturally biased.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 09:57 AM

He was a Juco guy from 2:30 pm Saturday until about 3:00 pm Sunday. Now he is back to being a guy that will most likely make it. lol.

I can't imagine us only signing 20 guys with at least 2 grade risks. That is a small class with several guys that developmental guys.

We aren't turning down a lot of guys that have been listed. If Humphrey, Carter, Thomas, and Stallings all want come, we aren't turning any of those guys away.

Bothrops
01-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Carter is much more likely than Griffin. I'm still not positive that Griffin will visit. I hope I'm wrong.

I think Griffin is going to visit, he was at Arizona this weekend and said he will announce signing day. Who knows, but I think it's down to Arizona and Cal at the moment. Berkeley, Tucson and Starkville. For our sake, I hope he likes to fly.

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Soooo....predictions?

I see that a lot of folks predict Cory Thomas to MSU, Humphreys is a long shot, Stallings is a heavy MSU lean, what about Sims/Harris/Carter. Assuming we get Thomas and Stallings that's 18, with Bryant/Durr making 20. I'm guessing we sign those two at minimum, even if we place them. I feel confident that with all the other guys we're pursuing, we'll sign at least 22.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 10:04 AM
I think Griffin is going to visit, he was at Arizona this weekend and said he will announce signing day. Who knows, but I think it's down to Arizona and Cal at the moment. Berkeley, Tucson and Starkville. For our sake, I hope he likes to fly.

Yeah, that is a monster trip.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2014, 10:05 AM

He is from Seattle, so he'll be flying to any of those 3 schools. It is an 11 1/2 hour drive from Seattle to Berkely and a 22 hour drive from Seattle to Tucson

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Soooo....predictions?

I see that a lot of folks predict Cory Thomas to MSU, Humphreys is a long shot, Stallings is a heavy MSU lean, what about Sims/Harris/Carter. Assuming we get Thomas and Stallings that's 18, with Bryant/Durr making 20. I'm guessing we sign those two at minimum, even if we place them. I feel confident that with all the other guys we're pursuing, we'll sign at least 22.

Best guess -

If Thomas visits UT - I think we have a 20% shot. If he doesn't visit, we have a 85% shot.
Stallings - I think its 99%;
Humphrey - Going to go out on a limb and say we have a 40% shot.
Sims - I think he is going to AL/AU on a greyshirt, if not bears
Carter - I know some people feel confident on him - I just don't have any information, lets say 25%;

I think our best shots are Thomas, Stallings and Humphrey.

The thing we have going for us with Humphrey is that he wants to be the man. He won't be the man at Bama - he can be the man at MSU.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
We better sign more than that...if we only add 2 more, that's not enough DL.

There is some posturing going on with our current list so to speak...We dont have room to sign a full class- spots are limited

smootness
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Thomas is going to be interesting. Right now all signs point to State but he still has the UT visit coming up, and they may be able to sway him back. In terms of confidence, here's where I am on these guys:

Stallings - 80%
Thomas - 60%
A. Brown - 60%
Harris - 50%
Carter - 50%
Griffin - 30%
Sims - 10%
Humphrey - 2%

Coach34
01-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Bryant does not have a qualifying ACT score. He made up some ground on his last test and people are hopeful, but he has work to do to qualify

Goat Holder
01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Wow, so those are some pretty crappy percentages. Don't get me wrong, I still think our class is very good (esp the bang for the buck), and I love seeing us recruit in B'ham (Stallings), but it appears we shouldn't expect much more than that. I was really hoping to land Thomas. Wonder why he likes Tennessee so much? They've been a real thorn in our side recently, at least with out of state recruits. Rajion Neal, Jason Croom, Josh Dobbs, now Thomas. It's almost like when the 'big boys' are down, that's when their the biggest threat to us in recrootin. Alabama/Auburn spent much more time in MS back when they were mediocre, than they do now.

Bothrops
01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
He is from Seattle, so he'll be flying to any of those 3 schools. It is an 11 1/2 hour drive from Seattle to Berkely and a 22 hour drive from Seattle to Tucson

Yeah it's probably 1:30 flight just from Oakland to Seattle.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Yeah it's probably 1:30 flight just from Oakland to Seattle.

No doubt it is a closer flight, but I travel a lot and, for me, the length of a DOMESTIC flight doesn't really matter once I am resigned to actually having to fly. The hardest part about flying is getting to the airport, going to through security, and getting on the plane. Once you actually get on the plane, whether I'm on there for 2 hours or 4 hours makes little difference.

Not saying you aren't right, but, from my experience, as long as you aren't going over seas, the distance of a flight makes little difference.

smootness
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Wow, so those are some pretty crappy percentages. Don't get me wrong, I still think our class is very good (esp the bang for the buck), and I love seeing us recruit in B'ham (Stallings), but it appears we shouldn't expect much more than that. I was really hoping to land Thomas. Wonder why he likes Tennessee so much? They've been a real thorn in our side recently, at least with out of state recruits. Rajion Neal, Jason Croom, Josh Dobbs, now Thomas. It's almost like when the 'big boys' are down, that's when their the biggest threat to us in recrootin. Alabama/Auburn spent much more time in MS back when they were mediocre, than they do now.

If this is in response to me, I don't think those percentages are bad at all. It means that I think out of the group of Stallings, Thomas, Carter, Harris, and Anthony Brown, we should land 3 of them and are at least 50/50 on all of them. That's not bad at all.

maroonmania
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM

The GA guys makes more sense with TN being closer and in the Eastern division. For an AL guy though TN should not have a huge advantage on us. Obviously they have good tradition and a large fanbase but their program sure ain't what it used to be.

SDDawg
01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
No doubt it is a closer flight, but I travel a lot and, for me, the length of a DOMESTIC flight doesn't really matter once I am resigned to actually having to fly. The hardest part about flying is getting to the airport, going to through security, and getting on the plane. Once you actually get on the plane, whether I'm on there for 2 hours or 4 hours makes little difference.

Not saying you aren't right, but, from my experience, as long as you aren't going over seas, the distance of a flight makes little difference.

Time zone makes a huge difference though. You can get to Tucson from Seattle in a half day and not lose any daylight which makes weekend visits and short trips easier. In reality with how busy these guys are I doubt it makes a true difference for him or his family, but I hope Griffin gets in the boat and disregards the travel from Seattle to Starkville which will take a whole day each way.

RougeDawg
01-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Our rivals and 247 persons are saying 22-23 signees. If think they might know a lil something.

HancockCountyDog
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Our rivals and 247 persons are saying 22-23 signees. If think they might know a lil something.

I agree - that is 4-5 more signees.

mic
01-27-2014, 10:57 AM

No matter the numbers ..we will/would make room for these 3.
Hump
Carter
Thomas

We will fill out the rest of the class based on how many of the 3 above we get.. And Stallings has a spot if he wants it.. Can never have enough OL / DL

Coach34
01-27-2014, 10:59 AM

That's interesting. Awhile back Paul was saying no more than 20

Saltydog
01-27-2014, 11:41 AM
we have much of a shot now if he's back in CA...........

maroonmania
01-27-2014, 11:59 AM
No matter the numbers ..we will/would make room for these 3.
Hump
Carter
Thomas

We will fill out the rest of the class based on how many of the 3 above we get.. And Stallings has a spot if he wants it.. Can never have enough OL / DL

With the loss of Rawlings I would assume Stallings becomes pretty important given I don't have a clue where we stand with Sims.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 12:20 PM
We must have had some more attrition we dont know about at the break that allows us to sign 22 if we do. You cant go over the 85 scholly number and hope it all works out. Interested to see what we do now.

smootness
01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
We must have had some more attrition we dont know about at the break that allows us to sign 22 if we do. You cant go over the 85 scholly number and hope it all works out. Interested to see what we do now.

I'm pretty sure that even if we sign 4-5 more, that would only put us 2-3 over the 85 limit. That kind of attrition happens every year.

Coach34
01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that even if we sign 4-5 more, that would only put us 2-3 over the 85 limit. That kind of attrition happens every year.

but that's my point- we cant sign over the limit. We cant sign however many we want and just hope it works. It doesnt work that way

engie
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM

As of right now -- today -- counting Quay Evans, Derrick Milton, and Ferlando Bohanna as off the team, by my count we've got 68 returning scholarship players. That means we've got room for 17 more to stay under the 85 limit -- and the Redmond sanctions only allow us to sign a maximum of 23 this year regardless.

We've signed up the 2 over the limit under Mullen -- but never gone above 87 thusfar. So, I think it's safe to say, as coach is saying, that alot of shuffling has yet to happen but will.

smootness
01-27-2014, 01:05 PM
There has to be some things happen, but it doesn't have to be before signing day. There is no rule that says you can not sign a number that would put you over the 85 based on the numbers on signing day.

I'm sure the coaches know of a couple more guys who won't be around. Obviously it's safe to say that the coaches won't sign more than they feel they can sign.

Which I know is essentially what you guys are saying. It just seems like every year we hear that X is the limit on the number of signees and every year we end up at least 4 or so above that number.

engie
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Which I know is essentially what you guys are saying. It just seems like every year we hear that X is the limit on the number of signees and every year we end up at least 4 or so above that number.

When did this happen? We've basically never gone above the numbers I've heard and reasoned through myself...

Fact is -- I'd be SHOCKED if we actually have above 20 players in this class that show up to MSU this year. Alot of shuffling will have to happen for numbers to work out -- and there simply isn't much dead weight left on the actual roster.

If you are signing 5*s and sure-fire 4*s, that's one thing -- and you make spots for them regardless. But I have a really hard time seeing Mullen process 4-5 3* guys who have been in the system awhile in favor of future 3* guys who are coming in green. More than likely, we would simply place a number of members in the current class in JUCO and/or greyshirt them.

deltadawg99
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
There was some chatter that Turtle Holmes was possibly moving on so that would be another spot. The addition of Hutcherson to the signing class makes me wonder if one of our TEs won't be there next fall.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
The Redmond sanctions ended last year as far as the 2 scholly penalties. We also have 2 or 3 signees likely not to make it & be sign & place. We will sign 22-24 signees & the #'s will work themselves out.

engie
01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
The Redmond sanctions ended last year as far as the 2 scholly penalties. We also have 2 or 3 signees likely not to make it & be sign & place. We will sign 22-24 signees & the #'s will work themselves out.

That is only partially true. The 85-to-83 penalty has been served and is over. The 25-to-23 penalty extends into this year(Obviously since it is a 2 year penalty and we signed 28 in 2012). Which means we can actually sign 24 with one count-back scholarship for last year(filled by Johnson already) to get us to 23.

msstate7
01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Thomas is going to be interesting. Right now all signs point to State but he still has the UT visit coming up, and they may be able to sway him back. In terms of confidence, here's where I am on these guys:

Stallings - 80%
Thomas - 60%
A. Brown - 60%
Harris - 50%
Carter - 50%
Griffin - 30%
Sims - 10%
Humphrey - 2%

Scratch brown. He's a hog