PDA

View Full Version : Talty on Bryant

Leroy Jenkins
01-26-2014, 01:18 PM
In his new blog Talty says that Bryant still considers himself comitted and Coach Townsend told him to enjoy his visit.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2014/01/26/could-brandon-bryants-usm-visit-affect-his-msu-commitment/

ScottH
01-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Talty(and Paul Jones and Brandon himself) vs Rosebowl

One reports today offer withdrawn yesterday.(10:33AM should Rosebowl's post disappear)

One reports today recruit says he and his recruiting coach say he is still considered part of the class.

Edited to add - Steve Robertson please distance yourself from MSU recruiting. Or MSU athletic administration please do it for him.

smootness
01-26-2014, 01:27 PM
This whole thing is just odd. From why he would even consider taking the visit to USM, to the fact that he claims he's committed yet still deciding, to conflicting reports about what the staff is telling him.

The bottom line to me seems to be that if he signs with us then the whole thing was an overreaction but that if he doesn't then we pulled his offer.

I'll reserve my thoughts on Bryant for now in case someone might see this.

Leroy Jenkins
01-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Brandon Bryant ‏@blb6_era
Ain't nobody gone take me away from my boys #HailState #GoDawgs

scottycameron
01-26-2014, 01:30 PM
wow. I guess we got the real story finally. Staff told him not to visit and he called their bluff. kinda have to agree with him even if just a little that if we really want him we'll take him. If we cut him loose we really didn't want him that bad anyway. Sounds like he's litmus testing our staff. wondering how it all ends. Will he set a trend for our recruits in the future?

Political Hack
01-26-2014, 01:30 PM
take the kid at his word on his commitment until he proves otherwise.

It's unreal the amount of drama one guy with a twitter account can stir up on an 18 year old kid just because he was wrong.

smootness
01-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I guess he's still in...still not sure why he would visit USM. Obviously the staff wants him or they wouldn't have offered...why 'test' that if State is really where you want to go?

Oh well, hopefully the whole thing is settled and he'll sign with us; kid has serious potential.

John Farley
01-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Everything is fine there

ScottH
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Probably a really good idea if he comes back to Starkville for an un-official next weekend.

BullDog
01-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Gentlemen, the young buck is concerned about bumpin up the ACT 2pts! That's my speculation. I think Roseyaherra scared him and he panicked.

msstate7
01-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Gentlemen, the young buck is concerned about bumpin up the ACT 2pts! That's my speculation. I think Roseyaherra scared him and he panicked.

2 points shouldn't be that big of an issue.

BullDog
01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
2 points shouldn't be that big of an issue.

it's scarey until you get it

chef dixon
01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Its so dumb to deny anyone a visit anywhere. Who is anyone to tell someone they can't go visit a school? If you are really going to pull a scholarship for a visit, you really didn't want that person to begin with, bottom line.

Political Hack
01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Its so dumb to deny anyone a visit anywhere. Who is anyone to tell someone they can't go visit a school? If you are really going to pull a scholarship for a visit, you really didn't want that person to begin with, bottom line.

not that they don't want someone... just that they can get plan A-1 who will be solid. Why take the risk? if there's no risk, like last year with Chris Jones, then there's nothing to worry about.

scottycameron
01-26-2014, 01:55 PM

Sounds like that is exactly what someone put in his ear. This may be the end of that policy if they keep him. Good thing imo. other schools encourage kids to look around so they are sure, we do just the opposite. I never liked it but never said anything about it. I think this is the last of that approach.

Leroy Jenkins
01-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Probably a really good idea if he comes back to Starkville for an un-official next weekend.

I would if I were him.

smootness
01-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Sounds like that is exactly what someone put in his ear. This may be the end of that policy if they keep him. Good thing imo. other schools encourage kids to look around so they are sure, we do just the opposite. I never liked it but never said anything about it. I think this is the last of that approach.

It won't be the end of it. There's really no 'policy'. People do the same with GT down here...the policy is not that once someone visits their offer is pulled and they can't sign anymore. It's that if they're still taking visits, the staff can't consider them committed anymore and will start looking around as well. So, if you're still looking then we have to still look, too. If State is where you know you want to go and you don't need to visit anywhere else, then don't because it could lead us to have to go another direction. If you're still deciding, take visits but know that if we can get someone we value similarly who we know is coming, then you could be out of a spot.

And every school in the country has essentially the same policy, but some are more vocal about it publicly. There isn't any staff in America that wants their commits visiting.

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 02:30 PM
This whole thing is just odd. From why he would even consider taking the visit to USM, to the fact that he claims he's committed yet still deciding, to conflicting reports about what the staff is telling him.

The bottom line to me seems to be that if he signs with us then the whole thing was an overreaction but that if he doesn't then we pulled his offer.

I'll reserve my thoughts on Bryant for now in case someone might see this.

I've never been a SEC caliber football recruit, but I was 18 once. I knew I was going to MSU probably since 7th grade if not earlier. Everyone else in the town knew I was going to MSU since I was in the 7th grade too. And when you are a junior or senior in high school and you see all of your friends going around to visit colleges and have a good time and missing school, that seems like a cool thing to do. I was always going to MSU, but I visited a few schools my senior year for fun and to have a good time.

I imagine that for football, OV are fun for the player and the whole family. That's probably exactly what happened this weekend and then it escalated quickly.

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Do you we really know that such a policy actually exists with our staff? Deion Calhoun, Sean Rawlings, Bryant, and then last year Chris Jones and we've certainly had others in the past take visits. It seems like the policy is to just make sure you let the coaches know before you take them.

If I had to guess, as with other things, Rosebowl was the one who appears to be confused here.

smootness
01-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I've never been a SEC caliber football recruit, but I was 18 once. I knew I was going to MSU probably since 7th grade if not earlier. Everyone else in the town knew I was going to MSU since I was in the 7th grade too. And when you are a junior or senior in high school and you see all of your friends going around to visit colleges and have a good time and missing school, that seems like a cool thing to do. I was always going to MSU, but I visited a few schools my senior year for fun and to have a good time.

I imagine that for football, OV are fun for the player and the whole family. That's probably exactly what happened this weekend and then it escalated quickly.

I get all that, but it would change immediately if the school where I wanted to go told me that they didn't want me going anywhere else and that if I did, I may not have a spot there.

I was still somewhat immature at 18 but...there's no way I would have taken a visit anywhere else after that.

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 02:38 PM
It won't be the end of it. There's really no 'policy'. People do the same with GT down here...the policy is not that once someone visits their offer is pulled and they can't sign anymore. It's that if they're still taking visits, the staff can't consider them committed anymore and will start looking around as well. So, if you're still looking then we have to still look, too. If State is where you know you want to go and you don't need to visit anywhere else, then don't because it could lead us to have to go another direction. If you're still deciding, take visits but know that if we can get someone we value similarly who we know is coming, then you could be out of a spot.

And every school in the country has essentially the same policy, but some are more vocal about it publicly. There isn't any staff in America that wants their commits visiting.

Exactly. It just essentially means that they are a soft verbal and nothing more, nothing else. It doesn't mean that their scholarship is pulled. If I remember correctly, we didn't pull Mix's scholarship offer last year either.

John Farley
01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Brandon said to share this with as many folks as I could. So here ya go

Tell them to watch out cause HailState is on the come up ! Look for us to be in the national championship ! #CatchUpGang

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
I get all that, but it would change immediately if the school where I wanted to go told me that they didn't want me going anywhere else and that if I did, I may not have a spot there.

I was still somewhat immature at 18 but...there's no way I would have taken a visit anywhere else after that.

If MSU specifically told me not to go anywhere else, I wouldn't go anywhere else. But as far as Bryant that doesn't appear to be what happened now that the facts are out there. Apparently he and his family approved it with the coaching staff. And then he gets accused of lying by one of our web site reporters who didn't really have all the facts.

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Brandon said to share this with as many folks as I could. So here ya go

Tell them to watch out cause HailState is on the come up ! Look for us to be in the national championship ! #CatchUpGang

Hail State to that!

smootness
01-26-2014, 02:47 PM
If MSU specifically told me not to go anywhere else, I wouldn't go anywhere else. But as far as Bryant that doesn't appear to be what happened now that the facts are out there. Apparently he and his family approved it with the coaching staff. And then he gets accused of lying by one of our web site reporters who didn't really have all the facts.

He said that Townsend told him they were considering pulling the offer and that he apologized to Mullen for taking the visit, so it doesn't sound like the staff gave him approval.

Leroy Jenkins
01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Brandon Bryant ‏@blb6_era 9m
@TrinaBeii: Brandon Bryant's recruitment process is officially closed!!! #HailState #MSUMOM Mom has spoken ! Point , Blank , PERIOD !

Political Hack
01-26-2014, 03:44 PM
@TrinaBeii: Brandon Bryant's recruitment process is officially closed!!! #HailState #MSUMOM Mom has spoken ! Point , Blank , PERIOD !

hell. yeah.

thx for posting Leroy.

OurState
01-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Agree 100%. These kids have put in a lot of work to become SEC caliber athletes. I see no problem taking there 3-5 OV's. Gives them a chance to see the world... Or in this case Hattiesburg.

the59dawg
01-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Talty(and Paul Jones and Brandon himself) vs Rosebowl

One reports today offer withdrawn yesterday.(10:33AM should Rosebowl's post disappear)

One reports today recruit says he and his recruiting coach say he is still considered part of the class.

Edited to add - Steve Robertson please distance yourself from MSU recruiting. Or MSU athletic administration please do it for him.

Ahh, part of the 99%!

the59dawg
01-26-2014, 05:51 PM

You are so out in left field in this. Mullen tells all of the recruits to take your visits and make sure where you want to commit. After they commit and especially in the last 2 wks of January, Mullen tells them their offer may be in jeapody if they visit elsewhere. MSU needs to know who they can count on in the last hours on the clock. And I agree with this 100%. I'm also sure Mullen would not tell a 5 star what MSU apparently told Bryant.

scottycameron
01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
You are so out in left field in this. Mullen tells all of the recruits to take your visits and make sure where you want to commit. After they commit and especially in the last 2 wks of January, Mullen tells them their offer may be in jeapody if they visit elsewhere. MSU needs to know who they can count on in the last hours on the clock. And I agree with this 100%. I'm also sure Mullen would not tell a 5 star what MSU apparently told Bryant.

Well then that's cool. I was just going by what has been talked about on the sites about taking visits. If that is the case, then good deal. Why does everybody always talk about this not taking visits then? If it doesn't have a basis from the staff people need to quit putting that crap out there. All the recruiting sites have put this out there, and I mean ALL of them.

MaroonState
01-26-2014, 09:48 PM

This guy gets IT.

RougeDawg
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM

Great user name!!!! That video is hilarious. While at State, we had to watch that video, during the pre gaming, every night before we all went out. "God damnit Leroy. You're just stupid as hell"

Johnson85
01-27-2014, 01:07 PM

It doesn't mean you really didn't want the person to begin with, it means they're not good enough that you can risk being left out in the cold with them. If it's a Chris Jones caliber player, you just hope you get them and you can't tell them anything. If it's a marginal recruit and there are other options that are almost as good or as good, you need to know they are locked down. If one isn't willing to commit to that, then you need to move on to the next one that is. It's not ideal, but it's a lot better than scrambling to fill out your class on signing day.