PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting weekend

msstate7
01-25-2014, 10:16 PM
What's the deal with no talk coming from OM or state? Last year it was a 3-ring circus on the message boards during these weekends. Now the action is all coming out of usm!!!

starkvegasdawg
01-25-2014, 10:21 PM
What's the deal with no talk coming from OM or state? Last year it was a 3-ring circus on the message boards during these weekends. Now the action is all coming out of usm!!!
They're trying to drum up the excitement and see if they can get up to 50 fans. Bold goal, I realize.

Todd4State
01-25-2014, 10:32 PM
They're trying to drum up the excitement and see if they can get up to 50 fans. Bold goal, I realize.

They are on a one game winning streak. Suck it UAB! SMTTT!

NCDawg
01-25-2014, 10:54 PM

I think since we have added them to our schedule, we will find out that they will be more and more of a pain in our butt, as we found out in the 80's. One of the few good things LT did was to quit scheduling them, and they became insignificant.

maroonmania
01-25-2014, 11:49 PM
I think since we have added them to our schedule, we will find out that they will be more and more of a pain in our butt, as we found out in the 80's. One of the few good things LT did was to quit scheduling them, and they became insignificant.

Agree, bad move by the Ninja. Not much positive comes out of it since we sellout most every game anyway.

preachermatt83
01-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Agree, bad move by the Ninja. Not much positive comes out of it since we sellout most every game anyway.

I actually disagree, A couple of years of embarrassing them may squash them for a long long time. I don't think this should be a long term thing but a couple of years of beat downs will be really bad for them.

maroonmania
01-26-2014, 12:03 AM
I actually disagree, A couple of years of embarrassing them may squash them for a long long time. I don't think this should be a long term thing but a couple of years of beat downs will be really bad for them.

They are already squashed. Can't go much lower unless they leave D1. However, if they compete closely with us or heaven forbid pull off an upset in one of these 2 games that it gives them renewed life.

preachermatt83
01-26-2014, 12:12 AM
They are already squashed. Can't go much lower unless they leave D1. However, if they compete closely with us or heaven forbid pull off an upset in one of these 2 games that it gives them renewed life.

true, but remember they are only 2 years removed from an 11 win season.

CadaverDawg
01-26-2014, 12:58 AM
It's dumb as shit to play them. We better beat them 2 straight and then GTFO of that series. We already play teams like Kentucky close....the last thing we need is to slip up and lose to USM bc they are playing in their Super Bowl and we are playing our cupcake

msstate7
01-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Have there been any commitments this weekend? Has Rawlings officially flipped? Any good news on our recruits besides Thomas?

Political Hack
01-26-2014, 09:04 AM
It's dumb as shit to play them. We better beat them 2 straight and then GTFO of that series. We already play teams like Kentucky close....the last thing we need is to slip up and lose to USM bc they are playing in their Super Bowl and we are playing our cupcake

that's my thing... it's a low percentage loss probability, but it's a no-win situation. We win... yeah, so what? They win, holy crap they beat and SEC team, in-state power, and are once again relevant in MS football.

the ONLY reason I think it makes sense right now is because we're opening the new stadium. It's good to do with with and in state game... that should bring a few more people than normal.

Saltydog
01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
have one of the longest losing streaks in the conference right now?

nsvltndog
01-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I think Byrne's hand may have been forced on this one. I once heard Greg say that he had no interest in playing USM at some point well before the series was announced. What changed? Well for one thing Keenum came in as the new President straight from Washington knowing how to play politics. Think about the USM figures in Mississippi politics then and now.

Feb 2008 - Byrne becomes AD
Jan 2009 - Keenum becomes President
Sep 2009 - MSU/USM series announced

Point is I'm not convinced this was a Greg Byrne issue. My assumption could be wrong, but something had to have changed his mind.

Moving forward, we need to treat it like Florida has decided to treat Miami. Jeremy Foley has said no more games vs Miami so they will not meet in the future unless it is in a bowl.

bluelightstar
01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Everybody calm down, USM won't be staying within 40 points of us.

GrassOfDWS
01-26-2014, 01:10 PM
State needs to treat this like this year's game against Troy. Troy was confident and felt like they could come in and pull out a W. They left with one of their worst beat down Evers and people actually walked away from that game impressed by what we did on the field, despite the level of competition.

NCDawg
01-26-2014, 01:45 PM
State needs to treat this like this year's game against Troy. Troy was confident and felt like they could come in and pull out a W. They left with one of their worst beat down Evers and people actually walked away from that game impressed by what we did on the field, despite the level of competition.

Which is somewhat different than our planned cakewalk against Bowling Green. If their guy would have caught that pass on their final drive, we would have probably lost. That's why I am opposed at playing some teams, such as USM, which would make their entire season if they beat us. We have a hard enough time competing with our SEC schedule.