PDA

View Full Version : Robert Elliott throwback story from Steve Robertson. Freeze was a punk then.

Jacksondevildog
01-25-2014, 08:53 AM
It was on the premium board, but I don't think it matters if I share.

In case anyone forgot:

MSU was set to have Croom's in home visit on the final Sunday before the dead period began.

When J.B. Grimes arrived prior to Croom showing up, Freeze, Frank Wilson and Dan Werner were in the home and Freeze refused to leave saying they would be the last ones in the house.

Grimes told me later that Werner looked at him apologetically as if to let J.B. know it wasn't anything personal, that he was just following orders.

Well, J.B. tells Freeze that he will let them finish up and that Croom was on his way. Freeze reiterated that they were welcome to bring Croom in, but that they weren't leaving.

J.B. gets on the phone and let's Croom know what the situation was.

A plan was hatched at that point. Robert's uncle came to the house and invited Robert to another room to speak out of ear shot of the Ole Miss coaches.

While Freeze, Wilson, Werner and Grimes all sat there looking at each other, Robert and his uncle slipped out the back door and met Croom at the uncle's house.

As J.B. told it, it was quite the sight once Freeze and Wilson realized they had been duped.

The mad dash to find Elliot began. Robert and his family met up at an awards banquet later that evening. Freeze and others were outside the banquet hall looking in windows looking for Robert and were eventually asked to leave the property.

Once the banquet broke up, Robert slipped out the back door and went to Houston, MS and stayed with his grandmother. The Ole Miss coaches despite their best efforts, never saw him again.

Later Sunday night, two clowns at the request of Orgeron went to Bridget Elliot's home and said they were from the Tupelo daily journal and wanted to do a story on Robert. They were trying to locate Robert for some reason.

They clearly weren't news reporters. Bridget was very disturbed by all of this and wanted to leave town. An assistant coach from Georgia came to the home to stop in and see if they could make one last run at Robert.

Bridget told the coach about the visitors and he sat outside Bridget Elliot's house until midnight when the dead period ended, so that no one would come back.

Robert didn't go to school Monday or Tuesday and then emerged from seclusion at Oklolona High School on signing day having already faxed his letter to MSU.

RougeDawg
01-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Never gets old. Haaa

msstate7
01-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Freeze is a creep. I'd be beyond embarrassed if one of our coaches did this.

AlSwearengen
01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Freeze was a h.s. football coach that was trying to show his big badass new boss (orgeron) that he could be a badass too.

It is similar to the little shit that runs around with the bully at school that talks a lot of shit as long as his bully friend is behind him.

maroonmania
01-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Freeze is a creep. I'd be beyond embarrassed if one of our coaches did this.

I said it on another board but Freeze is a total creep and is all about marketing and image. That's why I get disgusted the way he touts his Christian faith. It all comes across SO fake. In contrast, you would never see Mark Richt, a Christian man I have a lot of respect for, act in the ways that Freeze has on many occasions, including the Robert Elliott recruitment.

K9 Avenger
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Freeze is a punk now

CadaverDawg
01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
It was on the premium board, but I don't think it matters if I share.

In case anyone forgot:

MSU was set to have Croom's in home visit on the final Sunday before the dead period began.

When J.B. Grimes arrived prior to Croom showing up, Freeze, Frank Wilson and Dan Werner were in the home and Freeze refused to leave saying they would be the last ones in the house.

Grimes told me later that Werner looked at him apologetically as if to let J.B. know it wasn't anything personal, that he was just following orders.

Well, J.B. tells Freeze that he will let them finish up and that Croom was on his way. Freeze reiterated that they were welcome to bring Croom in, but that they weren't leaving.

J.B. gets on the phone and let's Croom know what the situation was.

A plan was hatched at that point. Robert's uncle came to the house and invited Robert to another room to speak out of ear shot of the Ole Miss coaches.

While Freeze, Wilson, Werner and Grimes all sat there looking at each other, Robert and his uncle slipped out the back door and met Croom at the uncle's house.

As J.B. told it, it was quite the sight once Freeze and Wilson realized they had been duped.

The mad dash to find Elliot began. Robert and his family met up at an awards banquet later that evening. Freeze and others were outside the banquet hall looking in windows looking for Robert and were eventually asked to leave the property.

Once the banquet broke up, Robert slipped out the back door and went to Houston, MS and stayed with his grandmother. The Ole Miss coaches despite their best efforts, never saw him again.

Later Sunday night, two clowns at the request of Orgeron went to Bridget Elliot's home and said they were from the Tupelo daily journal and wanted to do a story on Robert. They were trying to locate Robert for some reason.

They clearly weren't news reporters. Bridget was very disturbed by all of this and wanted to leave town. An assistant coach from Georgia came to the home to stop in and see if they could make one last run at Robert.

Bridget told the coach about the visitors and he sat outside Bridget Elliot's house until midnight when the dead period ended, so that no one would come back.

Robert didn't go to school Monday or Tuesday and then emerged from seclusion at Oklolona High School on signing day having already faxed his letter to MSU.

This will be tweeted out shortly

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2014, 10:41 AM
This will be tweeted out shortly

Be careful - this story doesn't make us look good either. Elliot was a bear commit and we basically hid him for the three days before signing day. Now, I love this story - but that is because I love the ending.

If you change the names from Elliot to Jones - and Jones had signed with the bears, we would be talking about bear recruiting shenanigans.

CadaverDawg
01-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Be careful - this story doesn't make us look good either. Elliot was a bear commit and we basically hid him for the three days before signing day. Now, I love this story - but that is because I love the ending.

If you change the names from Elliot to Jones - and Jones had signed with the bears, we would be talking about bear recruiting shenanigans.

All I did was link this thread, so nobody would know that without your post! Now I better delete it.

The Croom Diaries
01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Did we lock him in a dungeon against his will? I don't think so. He wanted to be a Dawg and we facilitated his need to lay low. If he wanted to talk to Ole Miss don't you think he would have found a way? It wasn't a kidnapping.

CadaverDawg
01-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Did we lock him in a dungeon against his will? I don't think so. He wanted to be a Dawg and we facilitated his need to lay low. If he wanted to talk to Ole Miss don't you think he would have found a way? It wasn't a kidnapping.

Kinda what I was thinking.

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Of course it wasn't, but you are looking at the story from the perspective of a MSU fan. We talk about bear shenanigans all the time, and I wish more people would post more stories, I just prefer our shenanigans to be private.

If an bear uncle had slipped Jones out the back and then Jones didn't go to school for two days, and then just all of a sudden signed with the bears, how would that story read? Personally, I don't think stories like this should be posted by Steve. Recruiting should be like Vegas - what happens in recruiting, stays in recruiting.

maroonmania
01-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Sorry, don't get your point at all. Doesn't make us look anything. Per the story, Elliott, of his own free will, went to his GRANDMOTHER'S house, not Croom's house. A kid can go wherever he chooses. The only thing I could say negatively on Elliott is that he should have formally decommitted from the Bears long before he did.

notsofarawaydawg
01-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Of course it wasn't, but you are looking at the story from the perspective of a MSU fan. We talk about bear shenanigans all the time, and I wish more people would post more stories, I just prefer our shenanigans to be private.

If an bear uncle had slipped Jones out the back and then Jones didn't go to school for two days, and then just all of a sudden signed with the bears, how would that story read? Personally, I don't think stories like this should be posted by Steve. Recruiting should be like Vegas - what happens in recruiting, stays in recruiting.

Debbie Downer *SMH*

preachermatt83
01-25-2014, 11:55 AM
I said it on another board but Freeze is a total creep and is all about marketing and image. That's why I get disgusted the way he touts his Christian faith. It all comes across SO fake. In contrast, you would never see Mark Richt, a Christian man I have a lot of respect for, act in the ways that Freeze has on many occasions, including the Robert Elliott recruitment.

I agree with this statement 1000000 percent!

The Croom Diaries
01-25-2014, 11:56 AM

This is just the way it goes, especially in Mississippi where we are fighting over top players because we don't get as many as the big boys. While I can appreciate level-headed, reasoned thinking with regards to the situation, I think it's just best to not say anything if you've got a comment like this. When it comes to recruiting, you've just got to buy-in to everything that MSU does it right, and everything OM does is wrong. As a fan base too many are looking at it from a "to be fair" point of view. OM fans are looking to seek and destroy and are all-in which what they're doing. Let the gavel fall without screaming objection in the name of fairness and pointing out our faults and mis-steps.

The Croom Diaries
01-25-2014, 11:57 AM

This is just the way it goes, especially in Mississippi where we are fighting over top players because we don't get as many as the big boys. While I can appreciate level-headed, reasoned thinking with regards to the situation, I think it's just best to not say anything if you've got a comment like this. When it comes to recruiting, you've just got to buy-in to everything that MSU does it right, and everything OM does is wrong. As a fan base too many are looking at it from a "to be fair" point of view. OM fans are looking to seek and destroy and are all-in which what they're doing. Let the gavel fall without screaming objection in the name of fairness and pointing out our faults and mis-steps.

blacklistedbully
01-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Sell, sell, sell. No way this is a valid analogy. If our coaches had their official in-home then refused to leave when it was Ole Miss' turn, I'd be pissed at our coaches. That's BS.

It is one of the things that is different about us. If our coaches tried to pull a stunt like that, most of us would be upset.

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Sell, sell, sell. No way this is a valid analogy. If our coaches had their official in-home then refused to leave when it was Ole Miss' turn, I'd be pissed at our coaches. That's BS.

It is one of the things that is different about us. If our coaches tried to pull a stunt like that, most of us would be upset.

I don't care what stunts are coaches pull to get recruits. Results are all that matters. Who gives a shit how we do it. I want us to get uncles and aunts to take other team's commits and hide them from the bears. I love that story. **** them. I just don't want those stories being posted by so called MSU site reporters.

The same reporters that are calling out a kid for taking a visit to USM? I would rather he just tell the part of Freeze not leaving and him not realizing that Elliot was no longer there. Nothing else had to be said to make freezus look like a jack ass.