PDA

View Full Version : Careful guys, the menstration can attract bears....

CadaverDawg
04-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Seriously though. We are 1 game away from what most of our realistic fans thought we would be after today. We are going to be pissed off and we'll likely respond with a sweep of Bama. Next Monday we'll be 13-11 in the SEC and looking to win 3 of 6 to host.

Calm down.

I'm pissed at our performance this weekend, but let's not go all meltdown mode like we were expecting a series win.

Kendall Rogers just tweeted that we would still be a host even getting swept by Vandy. So unless we shit our pants in the final 3 series, we're ok. National Seed was a long shot anyway...and who knows, win 8 of our last 9 and we could still accomplish that. That's about as likely as it was for us to beat Vandy in this series at their house on carpet anyway.

The main thing is that we need to host. Host and then hope for an upset or favorable matchup in a Super. We could still have a Super in Starkville even. There's still a lot of ball to be played.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Seriously though. We are 1 game away from what most of our realistic fans thought we would be after today. We are going to be pissed off and we'll likely respond with a sweep of Bama. Next Monday we'll be 13-11 in the SEC and looking to win 3 of 6 to host.

Calm down.

I'm pissed at our performance this weekend, but let's not go all meltdown mode like we were expecting a series win.

Kendall Rogers just tweeted that we would still be a host even getting swept by Vandy. So unless we shit our pants in the final 3 series, we're ok. National Seed was a long shot anyway...and who knows, win 8 of our last 9 and we could still accomplish that. That's about as likely as it was for us to beat Vandy in this series at their house on carpet anyway.

The main thing is that we need to host. Host and then hope for an upset or favorable matchup in a Super. We could still have a Super in Starkville even. There's still a lot of ball to be played.

I think the sec will get 3 host spots. Right now they're vandy, lsu, and South Carolina. We're still in the mix, but no longer in the drivers seat. If USC wins this lsu series and the vandy series next week, it's over.

Todd4State
04-28-2013, 04:05 PM
More like the SEC will have three National Seeds. I think the SEC gets at least four regionals.

We still control our destiny in that we still have Ole Miss and South Carolina.

FISHDAWG
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
did the V-cash mutual funds take a hit ?

msstate7
04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
More like the SEC will have three National Seeds. I think the SEC gets at least four regionals.

We still control our destiny in that we still have Ole Miss and South Carolina.

The last 2 years the sec has gotten 3 regionals. I hope there's a 4th bc USC is making a big move with winning lsu series.

MSUDawg4Life
04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Many of us were wanting one win. We had to know getting swept was a possibility. I don't think there is much to mad about.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Many of us were wanting one win. We had to know getting swept was a possibility. I don't think there is much to mad about.

The sweep didnt hurt us as bad as USC winning series at lsu. Our rpi went up, but USC ahead in hosting order now.

Todd4State
04-28-2013, 04:32 PM
The SEC also got three National seeds. There wasn't a fourth SEC team that had a resume as good as ours is right now either of those years, and there also were much more balanced SEC schedules the past two years.

FWIW, Kendall Rodgers is agreeing with me.

Again, we just have to take care of business the next three weeks, and as long as we do that, we are going to be in good shape.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
The SEC also got three National seeds. There wasn't a fourth SEC team that had a resume as good as ours is right now either of those years, and there also were much more balanced SEC schedules the past two years.

Again, we just have to take care of business the next three weeks, and as long as we do that, we are going to be in good shape.

I really want you to be right. We have to win 3 series against teams that all have better sec records than us though. We also have to face one of the best pitchers in the sec. Wahl has better era than both of vandys stars. We have to play really good baseball and eliminate the dumb stuff we do. Can we do this for a 3 week stretch? I hope so...

mparkerfd20
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Prediction: We go 3-6 in last 3 SEC series. 2-1 against Bama. 1-2 against OM. Swept by USC. 2 seed here we come.

CadaverDawg
04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Prediction: We go 3-6 in last 3 SEC series. 2-1 against Bama. 1-2 against OM. Swept by USC. 2 seed here we come.

Seriously?

Sorry to be blunt, but pull your head out of your ass, man. We got swept by one of the best teams in the country, on their field. There is really no need for doom and gloom in this situation. My God, getting swept at Vandy is not even as harmful as losing 2 of 3 at home to Kentucky.

We will still host. Book it.

Goat Holder
04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
So unless we shit our pants in the final 3 series, we're ok.

Until we prove this won't happen, I will be worried that it will.

National Seed was a long shot anyway...

Agreed. Anyone who truly thought otherwise was on the chronic.

The main thing is that we need to host....

Agreed. This was basically my only goal for the year. I don't care if we even win it....but hosting is a step forward for the program and fans.

....There's still a lot of ball to be played.

And we can straight play our way out of a host spot if Cohen doesn't extract his head from his ass soon.

Get the f**king lineup right. Play the best players. THEN, and only then, will we be in a position to make a run.

mic
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM

go back to 24/7 or GP with that..
Once again like I said before this is why I hate the majority our fans... Even if we do go 3-6 why even post that.. and do you want to side bet we get swept by USC..???

gravedigger
04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
It is the way a vocal minority of our message board fans think. It goes something like this:

How our team did LAST YEAR is how our team should perform this year.
How our team performed LAST GAME is how our team will perform for the rest of the season.
How a player performed LAST PLAY is going to determine how well they will (catch, throw,run, shoot, kick, hit, tackle) the rest of the season.

Baseball, of all the sports, is the least predictable.

ghostofjackie
04-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Until we prove this won't happen, I will be worried that it will.

Agreed. Anyone who truly thought otherwise was on the chronic.

Agreed. This was basically my only goal for the year. I don't care if we even win it....but hosting is a step forward for the program and fans.

And we can straight play our way out of a host spot if Cohen doesn't extract his head from his ass soon.

Get the f**king lineup right. Play the best players. THEN, and only then, will we be in a position to make a run.

^^^^ this all day^^^^
What makes any of you think that we are just going to go out there and take care of business in the next three weeks against good teams? Have we proven that we can play good against good teams? No. Have we won a series against a good team? No.

Sure, I think we are extremely capable of going out there and winning all three of our remaining series. But according to our play this weekend, we are playing like ****ing doggie poo poo. We would have lost a series to Tennessee playing like we did this weekend. I know Vandy is good, but this weekend was a lack of preparation and focus. I blame both the coaches and they players.

Cohen better get his ducks in a row for these next few weeks. If we don't host a regional, you are going to have some pissed off MSU baseball fans. It's been way too long

Todd4State
04-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I really want you to be right. We have to win 3 series against teams that all have better sec records than us though. We also have to face one of the best pitchers in the sec. Wahl has better era than both of vandys stars. We have to play really good baseball and eliminate the dumb stuff we do. Can we do this for a 3 week stretch? I hope so...

The only reason Alabama and Ole Miss have better SEC records is because our schedule is tougher than their schedules. We also have better overall records and beat Ole Miss at a neutral site. The only thing that South Carolina has done that is more impressive than us is beat LSU on the road- and that was in part because they won game two on a controversial balk call on the LSU closer in the ninth inning.

We also have two of our last three series at home where we play significantly better than on the road.

Wahl is very good- but we were able to beat him last year, and this year we have beaten Staneck and Crawford of Florida. It's a tall order for sure- but that's life in the SEC.

It goes without saying that we are going to have to play good baseball down the stretch. We've struggled against the very best of the best SEC pitching staffs- but we have typically done well at the plate against the lesser staffs except for maybe Auburn who we struggled with last year as well. Of course, that's relative because we don't play the three worst staffs in the SEC. Going into this weekend, our team has a higher batting average and a lower ERA than our last three opponents. We'll find our tomorrow where we rank relative to everyone else, but I still feel good about our chances.

I'll tell you what I would do if I was Cohen- buy out the Oral Roberts game. Playing that game doesn't really benefit either one of us. Oral Roberts is likely to have a losing season, so their only path to the postseason is winning their conference tournament anyway. Buying that game out saves them a trip and some money. If they win, it's something to build on for next year. If we win, great, it was expected.

gravedigger
04-28-2013, 07:56 PM
What specifically is the difference in a team who is prepared and does not play well vs one that is poorly prepared and doesn't play well?

maroonmania
04-28-2013, 07:58 PM

I think we need to go 6-3 the rest of the way to safely host. We can do that but it will take us playing at the top of our game. I was at the game today and Vandy is just more talented than us overall and they are very fundamentally sound. They are 19-2 for a reason. And how they get first rounders drafted out of HS to come to college and drafted juniors to come back for their senior year is beyond me. And they have had Top 3 recruiting classes the last few years so they are reloading at a big time level. Top 3 is a whole other level from the Top 25 classes we've been getting. I never thought I would see Vandy athletics rolling in the Big 3 men's sports like it is right now. Back to us, we've improved a lot over Cohen's tenure but watching us we are still short on top end talent. Our top 5 or 6 hitters are pretty good but the back end of our lineup is pretty weak and I've never seen a team that hit as poorly with men all over the bases as we currently do. I think the last 5 innings today we had either 2 on or bases loaded with no outs or 1 out 4 of those 5 innings and we still only managed to get a couple of runs out of all that. Really had the chance to make it a game but couldn't deliver. And our pitching staff really only has 5 reliable pitchers right now and even one of those, Lindgren, was sent to the showers in the 2nd inning by Vandy today. Most of their hits off him were rockets. We've come a long way but we still have a long way to go to compete with an elite team like Vandy currently is especially on the road.

Todd4State
04-28-2013, 08:05 PM
^^^^ this all day^^^^
What makes any of you think that we are just going to go out there and take care of business in the next three weeks against good teams? Have we proven that we can play good against good teams? No. Have we won a series against a good team? No.

Sure, I think we are extremely capable of going out there and winning all three of our remaining series. But according to our play this weekend, we are playing like ****ing doggie poo poo. We would have lost a series to Tennessee playing like we did this weekend. I know Vandy is good, but this weekend was a lack of preparation and focus. I blame both the coaches and they players.

Cohen better get his ducks in a row for these next few weeks. If we don't host a regional, you are going to have some pissed off MSU baseball fans. It's been way too long

Except that we DIDN'T play Tennessee this weekend. We played a team with two first round draft picks in their rotation on the road that is likely going to win the SEC. It didn't help that we played on wet field turf with ground ball pitchers- see the ball that skidded under Pirtle's glove yesterday. We scored the most runs off of Beede (who is undefeated by the way) of any SEC team. You could maybe say that Lindgren lacked focus, but to say the whole team lacked it is a stretch.

We've beaten Florida, Auburn, South Alabama, Austin Peay, Ole Miss- our RPI and SOS aren't what they are if we don't beat any good teams.

Todd4State
04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I think we need to go 6-3 the rest of the way to safely host. We can do that but it will take us playing at the top of our game. I was at the game today and Vandy is just more talented than us overall and they are very fundamentally sound. They are 19-2 for a reason. And how they get first rounders drafted out of HS to come to college and drafted juniors to come back for their senior year is beyond me. And they have had Top 3 recruiting classes the last few years so they are reloading at a big time level. Top 3 is a whole other level from the Top 25 classes we've been getting. I never thought I would see Vandy athletics rolling in the Big 3 men's sports like it is right now. Back to us, we've improved a lot over Cohen's tenure but watching us we are still short on top end talent. Our top 5 or 6 hitters are pretty good but the back end of our lineup is pretty weak and I've never seen a team that hit as poorly with men all over the bases as we currently do. I think the last 5 innings today we had either 2 on or bases loaded with no outs or 1 out 4 of those 5 innings and we still only managed to get a couple of runs out of all that. Really had the chance to make it a game but couldn't deliver. And our pitching staff really only has 5 reliable pitchers right now and even one of those, Lindgren, was sent to the showers in the 2nd inning by Vandy today. Most of their hits off him were rockets. We've come a long way but we still have a long way to go to compete with an elite team like Vandy currently is especially on the road.

I agree with pretty much your entire post.

Vandy has been doing this for 10-15 years now. We are only in year five. We have progressed from the bottom of the SEC to the top of the middle. As we continue to have success, our talent will also continue to get better and better as well.

There are rumors that Vandy does some shady things to get the baseball players that they do- but I don't know any specific details, and as such I treat them as rumors. They lost their top two coaches in the last off season, so we will see if they can sustain what they are doing.

I have actually wondered with the new slotting system in the draft if we will start to see shady recruiting in baseball start to happen like the other sports. Just having a slotting system in and of itself is going to cause players to go to college and cause players to stay for their senior years that in the past would have otherwise made the jump to pro baseball.

Homedawg
04-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Corbin is really good. I think he's a good as tanner. Some in this legit think he's even better. Yet, tanner ha won 2 ships and played for another. Corbin has been to ONE world series. This is not to belittle Corbin. Actually this is to calm some of our over zealous Internet gurus who would can Cohen if it took him 10 years to make the cws. Nonsense. His he perfect? Hell no. But he has us improving each year. He took over a dumpster fire. Period

msstate7
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Corbin is really good. I think he's a good as tanner. Some in this legit think he's even better. Yet, tanner ha won 2 ships and played for another. Corbin has been to ONE world series. This is not to belittle Corbin. Actually this is to calm some of our over zealous Internet gurus who would can Cohen if it took him 10 years to make the cws. Nonsense. His he perfect? Hell no. But he has us improving each year. He took over a dumpster fire. Period
I like Cohen. I do think he's struggling somewhat with recruiting though. 3rd base was an issue with us last year and we didnt solve it this year. We get no offensive production from our outfield (exclude hunter) and dh. Those should be easy positions to get done production. I'm certainly not calling for Cohen to be fired, but I do want him to evaluate hitters better.

CadaverDawg
04-28-2013, 08:56 PM
^^^^ this all day^^^^

Come on, Ghost...

At some point you have to tip your cap to the better team. If Tennessee had two MLB pitchers then you would have an argument.

If you take your emotions out of it, it reads like this...
We held a top 3 team to 3 runs Friday and 4 runs Saturday, and the only reason we didn't win was because we couldn't get the 100 guys we left on base across the plate. They were there, they were in scoring position, and we didn't get the big hits. By the way, that was Pollo and Graveman that held them to 3 and 4 runs....not Woody or Lindgren (the two other guys that were supposed to be our studs this year). You have to beat a team like Vandy when you hold them down like that, but we didn't. Partly bc of poor hitting in clutch, and partly bc of damn great pitching from them in clutch spots.

Cohen can't teach how to get a hit in the clutch. Our players just have to sack up. And I would rather get swept by Vandy if it means we start getting clutch hits in Regional/Super/CWS play.

Say I'm pumping sunshine if you want, but at the end of the weekend we are 1 game below where I was "hoping" we would be when the weekend started. I'm not going to freak out about that. Especially after seeing how we were able to get guys on against them, and hold them down offensively for 2 games. Those clutch hits will start falling or we will go home early....but we will be in the game with whoever we play in the postseason.

CadaverDawg
04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
And one other thing...

If you take away the worst performance of Lindgren's life today, we were tied 3-3 today and out scored 11-6 on the weekend. I know you can't take it away, but outside of 1 inning, we kept them from scoring a lot of runs for the weekend.

When you hold Vandy to 7 runs through two games, it's not on the pitching or the defense...you gotta score enough to win at least 1. And we had the runners in scoring position, but they had great pitching and our hitting was far from timely.

Coach34
04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
We will be ok. We played one of the best teams in the country on their field and had our chances to win games 1 and 2. We have to make plays and get timely hits. It was disappointing- but the world is not ending.

We'll get more timely hits vs the Gumps- that's a certainty. And suddenly things wont be so gloomy