View Full Version : Enough of the Rawlings talk....what's left on our board?

Thick
01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
What are we looking at moving forward?

Dawgowar
01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
What are we looking at moving forward?

Hopefully ...we are...FAK...'Flipp'in A Kicker'! Come on Dan -we neeeeeeeeeeeddddd a new kickerrrrrrrrrr!

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Cory Thomas and Marlon Humphrey. Biggest recruits left on our board if Stallworth doesn't visit. I don't think we are going to offer JT Gray or Grant Harris. I keep being told that Harris doesn't have a firm offer - and I think that is because we think we are getting Thomas. If we do get Thomas, Harris is definitely not getting an offer.

I hope we don't use Sean's scholarship and save it for January for an early enrollee.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
We have 4 or 5 spots left & in reality we'd like to take 3 dl out of that so Harris does have a spot unless 3 other dl commit. Also with Rawlings likely to flip that will possibly/probably open up a spot for Gray. Likely finish with Gray, Harris, Stallings, & Thomas. Then you fight like hell to try to pull Brown, Griffin, Carter, or Pierce.

hailmari
01-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I know we need OL and DL, but I really hope we can get JT Gray. He's was one of the most impressive players I saw this year.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Anyone know why Jordan Harris is coming in on the last weekend? Normally the weekend before signing day is for placement players or plan B.

Im assuming it had to do with a conflict with sports, its just an odd visit.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2014, 01:47 PM
His mom couldn't get off work so they changed it to next weekend so she could come.

Anyone know why Jordan Harris is coming in on the last weekend? Normally the weekend before signing day is for placement players or plan B.

Homedawg
01-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Bingo! It has nothing to do w otheR sport conflicts.

Homedawg
01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Cory Thomas and Marlon Humphrey. Biggest recruits left on our board if Stallworth doesn't visit. I don't think we are going to offer JT Gray or Grant Harris. I keep being told that Harris doesn't have a firm offer - and I think that is because we think we are getting Thomas. If we do get Thomas, Harris is definitely not getting an offer.

I hope we don't use Sean's scholarship and save it for January for an early enrollee.

Harris has an offer. He might not by the time he decides but he has one at the present.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
I know we need OL and DL, but I really hope we can get JT Gray. He's was one of the most impressive players I saw this year.

Is Gray going to be a CB/S at the next level?

smootness
01-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Thomas and Harris don't have anything to do with each other. We need DL badly and we're definitely looking to take more than one more.

Big4Dawg
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Paul did his "odds" today and he said he thinks we will get Trey Carter. That is huge.

So left on the board, we still have:
Cory Thomas - http://247sports.com/Player/Cory-Thomas-29120
Grant Harris - http://247sports.com/Player/Grant-Harris-21624
Jervontius Stallings - http://247sports.com/Player/Jervontius-Stallings-36335
Trey Carter - http://247sports.com/Player/Trey-Carter-33419
J.T. Gray - http://247sports.com/Player/JT-Gray-28748
Ravian Pierce - http://247sports.com/Player/Ravian-Pierce-23226
Marlon Humphrey - http://247sports.com/Player/Marlon-Humphrey-16572
Marcus Griffin - http://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Griffin-27663
Anthony Brown - http://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Brown-32671

deltadawg99
01-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Marlon Humphrey
Cory Thomas
Trey Carter
Anthony Brown
Grant Harris
J.T. Gray
Jordan Simms
Bunchy Stallings
Ravian Pierce
Marcus Griffin
Devaroe Lawrence

Those are the remaining guys that I could think of. Yes some are longshots but all of the above have either visited or are expected to visit.

smootness
01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes, Trey Carter would be massive because we need to close with some quality DL. If we can get Thomas, Harris, and Carter, I'm very happy and then Griffin is still in play as well.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Harris has an offer. He might not by the time he decides but he has one at the present.

If we get Thomas I can't imagine we take Harris. I think Harris should have made his decision last week - My money is that Harris ends up at USM.

smootness
01-24-2014, 02:09 PM
I think Harris could commit today if he wanted to because we just can't afford to sit around and risk striking out on the DL.

That said, if Thomas pulls the trigger this weekend and it looks like Griffin and Carter start leaning our way, then he risks missing out.

But there's no way we're keeping any quality DL warm with the shape we're in right now.

Bothrops
01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
We may be able to get Marcus Griffin if he doesn't commit to Arizona this weekend. I'm hoping Thomas will flip to us after his visit. Which certainly seems likely, you would think.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I think Harris could commit today if he wanted to because we just can't afford to sit around and risk striking out on the DL.

That said, if Thomas pulls the trigger this weekend and it looks like Griffin and Carter start leaning our way, then he risks missing out.

But there's no way we're keeping any quality DL warm with the shape we're in right now.

Harris doesn't have a Miami offer - that was pulled a long time ago. I think he is going to Louisville this weekend. Im telling y'all, he is down the list.

smootness
01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Harris doesn't have a Miami offer - that was pulled a long time ago. I think he is going to Louisville this weekend. Im telling y'all, he is down the list.

? I didn't say he did. And I do think we consider guys like Thomas, Griffin, and Carter above him. But everyone associated with our recruiting says he has an offer and that would make sense considering the shape we're in on the DL.

We just can't risk losing out on Harris because we waited too long and then strike out on most of the other guys as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I feel pretty confident in saying Harris will be a commit by no later than Monday.

hailmari
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Is Gray going to be a CB/S at the next level?

Safety. He has the instincts and physicality to be really good. He's a little overlooked I think because he had been out west prior to this year.

CadaverDawg
01-24-2014, 02:34 PM
To me, Grant Harris is a prime example of how flawed recruiting rankings are. And before I say this, this is not meant as a knock on Harris....just using him to make my point.

I have seen Harris in person twice this year. He was definitely one of the best linemen on the field every week, but he was far from dominant. I have seen Thomas play once this year, and he was playing against all star competition and played really well. I have watched both of their videos, and seen each of their lists of offers, and Thomas is by far the better player and more coveted player. Yet, 247 and Scout have them listed as 3 stars, and 247 lists them as damn near dead even in composite score. Harris is a .85, and Thomas a .86.

This is where rankings frustrate me. I know they can't be perfect, and I don't expect them to be...but there is a problem in the rankings and system when Thomas is considered equal to Harris. And there are more examples out there that could be used that are far worse than this one, I just saw it as relevant.

By the way, I want both of see guys if we have room! but obviously I'd like us to get Thomas if we just get 1. Harris is still a good player, and could be developed into a stud in our program.

mic
01-24-2014, 03:47 PM
If we get 3 out of the 4 between:
Thomas
Carter
Griffin
Harris

That's a strong finish for the DL....

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2014, 04:48 PM
To me, Grant Harris is a prime example of how flawed recruiting rankings are. And before I say this, this is not meant as a knock on Harris....just using him to make my point.

I have seen Harris in person twice this year. He was definitely one of the best linemen on the field every week, but he was far from dominant. I have seen Thomas play once this year, and he was playing against all star competition and played really well. I have watched both of their videos, and seen each of their lists of offers, and Thomas is by far the better player and more coveted player. Yet, 247 and Scout have them listed as 3 stars, and 247 lists them as damn near dead even in composite score. Harris is a .85, and Thomas a .86.

This is where rankings frustrate me. I know they can't be perfect, and I don't expect them to be...but there is a problem in the rankings and system when Thomas is considered equal to Harris. And there are more examples out there that could be used that are far worse than this one, I just saw it as relevant.

By the way, I want both of see guys if we have room! but obviously I'd like us to get Thomas if we just get 1. Harris is still a good player, and could be developed into a stud in our program.

Great post.

Recruiting sites basically eliminated the 2 star recruit, because their customers aren't going to pay to be told their recruits aren't that good.

Harris and Thomas are not in the same universe when it comes to talent.

Big4Dawg
01-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Harris is actually a 89 on 247 ratings. Which is 1 point from a 4*.

smootness
01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Great post.

Recruiting sites basically eliminated the 2 star recruit, because their customers aren't going to pay to be told their recruits aren't that good.

Harris and Thomas are not in the same universe when it comes to talent.

You sure don't want us to get Harris.