PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side cooler testing

BeastMan
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Never heard of IRP but that cooler looks pretty dang sweet. Shocked at how well the Coleman Xtreme held up. Those are only like $50.

State82
01-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Good find on that Beastman. Yeti ain't getting my hard earned money. They never were, but now I know they won't.

BeastMan
01-23-2014, 06:45 PM
To be 100% fair, some folks use coolers for a casting platform. The only 2 that looked sturdy enough for that were the yeti or engle.

State82
01-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Oh no doubt about that. If you are using them as a dual purpose tool in the boat like that you have to go heavy duty. But strictly for ice/food/beverage storage, looks like its Coleman for my tiny budget.

Political Hack
01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
awesome. Coleman it is. I don't stand on my beer.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-24-2014, 11:13 AM
I saw that yesterday as well and was blown away. I have to say that I own a Yeti, but only because I found a deal on the 50 for $200 that I couldn't pass up. One of the major differences between the higher end coolers and the cheaper ones is that the lid on the more expensive ones have thicker and better insulation that helps, especially in direct sunlight. Several people I know will go buy a cheaper ice chest, drill a small hole in the lid and the sides, and then will spray minimal expansion foam to add to the insulation. I must say the trick works like a charm and I'm going that route next time.

BeastMan
01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
I was at Sams today and saw an Igloo Sportsman series 55 quart for $230. A complete yeti ripoff. I'm sorry but if I'm spending north of $200 on a cooler, I'm getting a yeti or another premium cooler. I'm not paying that for an igloo.

SpeckleDawg
01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
I've had a 45 QT yeti for 3 years now and love it. The main reason I bought is to stand on in the boat and also for the rubber feet on the bottom. A regular igloo slides all over the boat and can be kinda dangerous if you're not paying attention. Also, I am terribly rough on coolers (breaking lids, hinges, handles etc). I've dropped that thing over the side of the boat in the driveway a couple times and it didn't even open. I definitely understand not wanting to spend the money on one, but I don't regret it at all. I still have half a dozen igloos that I use all the time, but half of them are broken in some way. If you are strictly buying a cooler for food/beer, an igloo/Coleman is more than enough.

SpeckleDawg
01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
I was at Sams today and saw an Igloo Sportsman series 55 quart for $230. A complete yeti ripoff. I'm sorry but if I'm spending north of $200 on a cooler, I'm getting a yeti or another premium cooler. I'm not paying that for an igloo.

I saw those too and definitely agree. Lots of look a likes that claim to "work just as well, without the price tag", but they're not much cheaper.

johnmichael
01-27-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks for sharing this post!

Political Hack
01-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing this post!

have you ever kicked field goals?

BeastMan
01-28-2014, 08:39 PM
have you ever missed field goals?

fixed it for you