PDA

View Full Version : MSU vs. OM recruiting strategy

The Croom Diaries
01-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Something to chew on.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/01/23/msu-vs-om-recruiting-philosophy/

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
I really do think our class is a little underrated. We have some nice players. But Ole Miss definitely has the superior class this year.

Sam&DeansDawg
01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
I really do think our class is a little underrated. We have some nice players. But Ole Miss definitely has the superior class this year.

They're prolly bout to lose a couple also.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
They're prolly bout to lose a couple also.

Don't think they are losing Speaks.

Sam&DeansDawg
01-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Don't think they are losing Speaks.

It could happen.

messageboardsuperhero
01-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Damn good article. I enjoyed that.

Do I wish we could get some more highly rated players? Absolutely, but Mullen and co. have been recruiting better than people give them credit for.

smootness
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM

Ole Miss' top 10 HS commitments:

1. Hampton
2. Taylor
3. Speaks
4. Webster
5. McDowell
6. Pack
7. Epps

State's top 10:

1. Green
2. Williams
3. Graham
4. Staley
5. Bryant
6. Jackson
7. Cooper

I may be biased, but I don't see theirs as far better than ours. And both classes drop off a good bit after those top 7.

Johnson85
01-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Ole Miss' top 10 HS commitments:

1. Hampton
2. Taylor
3. Speaks
4. Webster
5. McDowell
6. Pack
7. Epps

State's top 10:

1. Green
2. Williams
3. Graham
4. Staley
5. Bryant
6. Jackson
7. Cooper

I may be biased, but I don't see theirs as far better than ours. And both classes drop off a good bit after those top 7.

4 points I would say in response to this:

1. Those are 7 recruits for each team, not top 10.

LiterallyPolice
01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Good article.... I know there is a perpetual debate on recruiting stars, do they matter, etc. But in my view, recruiting is all about "fit". It's like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I'll explain.

Everyone knows that Donatello's bowstaff is the best weapon on paper. It has the longest reach; it has the perfect mix of versatility and damage. A five-star weapon, one might say. Indeed, anyone who has ever played TMNT on Nintendo would always.... ALWAYS... go with Donatello as their first choice. But does this mean that all of the Ninja Turtles should give up their preferred weapon and pick up the bowstaff? Of course not - can you imagine the smile on Shredder's face when he is approached by Michaelangelo with a bowstaff??? The idea is ludicrous. Michaelangelo will always be most effective with his nunchucks. His skills are augmented by his weapon choice, and vice versa. His skills FIT his weapon.

Matty Dispatch
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I always hit myself in the face with Mikey's numb chucks.

P.S. Article sucked. Had nothing on my piece about how Rick Ray's veteran team is pathetic for not being 18-0. #Dakismediocre

msstate7
01-23-2014, 05:14 PM

I laughed

smootness
01-23-2014, 06:14 PM

Hahaha. I was going to do 10, then decided to stop at 7 and never edited. Well played, sir.

smootness
01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Good article.... I know there is a perpetual debate on recruiting stars, do they matter, etc. But in my view, recruiting is all about "fit". It's like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I'll explain.

Everyone knows that Donatello's bowstaff is the best weapon on paper. It has the longest reach; it has the perfect mix of versatility and damage. A five-star weapon, one might say. Indeed, anyone who has ever played TMNT on Nintendo would always.... ALWAYS... go with Donatello as their first choice. But does this mean that all of the Ninja Turtles should give up their preferred weapon and pick up the bowstaff? Of course not - can you imagine the smile on Shredder's face when he is approached by Michaelangelo with a bowstaff??? The idea is ludicrous. Michaelangelo will always be most effective with his nunchucks. His skills are augmented by his weapon choice, and vice versa. His skills FIT his weapon.

That's a great analogy, but forget the bowstaff. He had a stick as a weapon. Sure, it has nice range and in a video game setting where each weapon does the same damage with one hit, sure it's great. In reality, though, Leonardo is obviously better equipped than the rest. It's why no one can ever claim Leonardo as their favorite Ninja Turtle; it's obvious, it isn't a fair fight for the rest.

Though my favorite will always be Michelangelo anyway.

Todd4State
01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
For us, we need a good mix of "four star talent" and diamonds in the rough. And a lot of those diamonds in the rough really probably shouldn't be if these recruiting services actually took the time to really evaluate them- see McKinney and Chris Jones before he blew up.

Dan's recruiting philosophy has lead to the best run we've had since the late 90's- and I really think we are going to get the big fruits of that labor over the next two years.

Coach34
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
State's recruiting?

We are about to put the best defense on the field we have had since 1999 when we finished 1st in the nation. Nobody will be surprised if we have a top 10 defense next year- that means our defensive recruiting has been phenomenal.

We have a QB being mentioned along with the Heisman trophy.
We will have JRob and 2 four-star RB's
We may have the best TE group in the SEC
Questions about WR and the OL have to be answered. We'll see how much we develop guys here.

Offensive recruiting? C+

Overall, I give recruiting a B....we could use some more playmakers of offense, but overall our recruiting has been good.

Look at the close games we lost:

LSU 2009- had Tyson Lee at QB
Auburn 2010- needed a playmaker on O
UPig 2010- one of our playmakers fumbled in OT
LSU 2011- needed playmaker on offense. D played well
SC 2011- needed a playmaker on O to score just 3 more points

2013? Had a young team. I think we'll see in 2014 and 2015 these young guys from 2013 are indeed playmakers

SDDawg
01-23-2014, 09:07 PM
The link is broken for me, couldn't find this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

mic
01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
look at the recruiting classes this way.... as of today

QB's. Advantage Dogs
RB. Advantage Dogs
OL. Advantage bear sharks
TE. Push
WR. Advantage Dogs. (JJ and Graham>Pack)
LB. Advantage Dogs
ST. Push
DL. Advantage Bear sharks. as of today this may change
DB. Slight advantage Bear sharks

looks like 4-3-2 in favor of Dogs...So everyone just chill a little

preachermatt83
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
nailed it croom!! Outstanding!

SDDawg
01-23-2014, 10:23 PM
I tell my kids this all the time: hard work beats talent in nearly everything. Talent will always be a factor, but for anything that matters you'll have to put the work in. Those that work harder get the most out of the talent. It's just that simple. Let's keep recruiting the "lunch pail" guys that want to come in here and work their tails off, seems to be working and Mullen is doing a fantastic job.

Bothrops
01-23-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm not convinced that their class is any better overall. Time will tell.