PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Humphrey

Raytoraid83
01-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Anyone else hearing good things about Marlon? We might be in this one closer than we are giving ourselves credit for, from what I've heard the past couple days. Still think he ends up at Bama but Collins and co. are making a big push.

Coach34
01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Kid absolutely loves us- but can he pull the trigger?

dawgclub99
01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Problem is "there are no points for second place" in recruiting .

AROB44
01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I have no info...but I haven't given up on him. I would think if he was going to Bama, he would already have said so. I just think we have a real chance here.

starkvegasdawg
01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I think we have a chance too. More than what some people may realize. I'll still put us in long shot category but definitely not an impossible shot.

deltadawg99
01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Steve said that he is visiting this Sunday and staying until Tuesday.

I know it'll be a quite visit as far as parties and stuff, but I like this approach. Our football and track coaches can roll out the red carpet for 3 days and just focus on him instead of other visitors.

RougeDawg
01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
I've been confident on us having a legitimate shot at him from day 1. We have everything to offer him that Bama does except BCS rings and this year proves how difficult that is, even for the Bamas of college football. Only 1 can win a year. We are on the cusp of battling for the West and a couple players like Marlon could be what push us over the top in the next 4 years.

He's likely going to the NFL wherever he goes. So the only question he has to answer is where he fits best and when he will get to play. I think we are a legitimate choice.

smootness
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
I thought initially that he was only taking the visit as a favor to the coaches because they've done such a great job recruiting him. I no longer feel that way.

The fact that we continue to put such a strong effort into recruiting him means we still think there's a chance. The fact that he hasn't yet announced for Bama probably means he isn't sold yet; that may mean FSU but who knows.

I know that he has publicly stated in the past that Bama and FSU are his top two, but from what we've heard recently, it sounds like we've made a strong push and you never know what can happen once a kid visits.

blacklistedbully
01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Would make for a helluva hat-fake.

msstate7
01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I think the longer he's uncommitted it's in our and fsu's favor.

rabbitthedawg
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm just excited that we are even in the game for a five star person like this. Sooner or later, if Mullen keeps recruiting them (5* types) some are going to come and be Bulldogs.

defiantdog
01-23-2014, 01:52 PM
The last visit with Townsend and Dudley was huge for us. And I like Marlon visiting on a Sunday. I know it seems odd, but he's a shy kid who isn't too impressed with the party scenes (unlike the other 5 star DB who got arrested last night in Tuscaloosa). It'll still be difficult to pull him away from the friend and family pressure to go to Alabama or his girlfriend going to FSU. But it is starting to seem like the Mackenzie Alexander situation from last year where he waited till the end to commit but knew where he was going the entire time.

mic
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Problem is "there are no points for second place" in recruiting .

in this case you are wrong.. Hump does love us. Even if he doesn't come some the Jr's and Soph are also talking good about us and considering us. Only helps to have a stud like Hump telling them good things about us... finishing 2nd or 3rd is usually doesn't matter but in this case I think it does....

gtowndawg
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Yyeeeah!

http://i.imgur.com/SF8MzIP.gif

32 Dive
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Is he Mullen's Ryan Perrilloux? (Or was that Cam Newton?)

#JustJoking

defiantdog
01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
This Humphrey liked us as well in 2010 (ironically, we were in his top 3 as well) .... http://247sports.com/Player/Maudrecus-Humphrey-2550 .... but a little mishap at Arkansas led him to transfer to UAB.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Wish we could get Dupre to visit with him. I think the key to getting Marlon is getting Dupre. As impossible as that sounds I really think these two guys are going to sign with the same school so they can play together.

BogeyGolfer
01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Anyone else hearing good things about Marlon? We might be in this one closer than we are giving ourselves credit for, from what I've heard the past couple days. Still think he ends up at Bama but Collins and co. are making a big push.

Yes, but I don't want to jinx it.. What im hearing is we are better off now than we ever have been... Let it play out

Bully13
01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
We need to get his gf to transfer or get some high quality guests ready

msstate7
01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
We need to get his gf to transfer or get some high quality guests ready

Id love to convince banks and slay to make a trip home for this visit. I want dak to be a host also

HancockCountyDog
01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
The longer this drags out, the better it is for us.

He needs to be our biggest target from here on out. I hope we send every coach we have to his house next week - when Bama just sends one.

mic
01-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Id love to convince banks and slay to make a trip home for this visit. I want dak to be a host also

JB is home (back in Webster County).. I wouldn't be shocked if he is around Starkville or the football complex when Hump is here..

msstate7
01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
JB is home (back in Webster County).. I wouldn't be shocked if he is around Starkville or the football complex when Hump is here..
Good news

DawgPoundRock
01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Hell they need to give smoot a call too lol

Coach34
01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Momma doesn't want him at Fla State- she wants him close. That can't hurt

msstate7
01-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Has saban backed off no track?

engie
01-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Has saban backed off no track?

Yes

mjh94
01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
smoot should peronally drive him anywhere and everywhere that weekend in his white rolls royce.

Hell they need to give smoot a call too lol

msstate7
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes

This sucks.

DCdawg
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Hopefully Mullen and Dudley are working together on the situation. I've met Dudley a few times and he seems to be a pretty cool guy. Doesn't hurt that out track program is ranked.

Johnson85
01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes

I'm always shocked how big a deal track is to some of these players. I can understand wanting to run track, but it seems like if you're a potential next level football player, track would be low on the priority list. I'd rather be a middling SEC football starter than a trackster competitive for a spot on an olympic team. If you're not going to be an olympic medalist, can you make good money running track?

RougeDawg
01-23-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm always shocked how big a deal track is to some of these players. I can understand wanting to run track, but it seems like if you're a potential next level football player, track would be low on the priority list. I'd rather be a middling SEC football starter than a trackster competitive for a spot on an olympic team. If you're not going to be an olympic medalist, can you make good money running track?

I think the main thing about track with these kids, is being an individual sport. By winning your event you are acknowledged alone, and this appeals to a lot of people. Football garners more team recognition than track.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Sounds like Marlon is a bigger star in the track world than football. USA track & field is the best in the world and running on the Olympic team is a huge deal. It would be absolutely awesome if we had a DB running in the Olympics.

smootness
01-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Wish we could get Dupre to visit with him. I think the key to getting Marlon is getting Dupre. As impossible as that sounds I really think these two guys are going to sign with the same school so they can play together.

I seriously doubt that. Otherwise Humphrey would be a lot more interested in LSU.

engie
01-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Hopefully Mullen and Dudley are working together on the situation. I've met Dudley a few times and he seems to be a pretty cool guy. Doesn't hurt that out track program is ranked.

They are and have been. Dudley took the in-home last week with Deshea where they laid out a very specific plan for his career at MSU -- including track and academics -- that basically wowed Marlon and Bobby. That's when he actually decided for sure that he would take the official visit...

starkvegasdawg
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Not that is really means anything but I just checked out his scout page and it has Alabama listed as high interest, FSU as medium interst, and us and UCLA as low interest. The last I had seen we were listed as medium interest along with bama and FSU. I wonder what word they got to make that kind of change.

TexasDawg
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Yancy set everybody straight on Scout****

engie
01-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Marlon is considered a lock to be an Olympian in at least 3 different hurdle distances. He was on teamUSA this summer and set at least one European hurdle record.

He has the 2nd fastest time in US history in the 110m, had the fastest times in the country last year in the 110m, 300m, and 400m(or at least they were at the time of their running). And that's just the ones that I can easily find in a search...

He's a nationally elite track athlete that can easily been seen as a professional in either.

dawgs
01-23-2014, 04:56 PM

but if you have olympic potential in track and field, it'd absolutely be a big deal to me to be able to do both. winning an olympic medal would be really really awesome. i wouldn't give up a potential NFL career to do it, but i'd definitely prefer to have the opportunity to do both.

TUSK
01-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Kid absolutely loves us- but can he pull the trigger?

I think yall have an outside shot, for certain. Especially as time goes...

Saban has a hard-on for Damien Mama and Matt Elam. Humphrey, Coker and Evans are potential additions to what might be one of the better classes ever.

Johnson85
01-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Marlon is considered a lock to be an Olympian in at least 3 different hurdle distances. He was on teamUSA this summer and set at least one European hurdle record.

He has the 2nd fastest time in US history in the 110m, had the fastest times in the country last year in the 110m, 300m, and 400m(or at least they were at the time of their running). And that's just the ones that I can easily find in a search...

He's a nationally elite track athlete that can easily been seen as a professional in either.

That's a little different then. If you are that elite at it, I understand it completely. I just don't get the draw for the ones that aren't.

I tried to find out how much money you can make as a professional athlete, and it looks like you have to be top 10 in your event to make a good living (sprinters make more than distance, distance make more money than non-jumping field events, not sure where jumping events fall on the spectrum), and you basically have to be a recognized as a star to make more than $200k per year, and then your extreme outliers like Usain Bolt or Michael Johnson can strike it rich. Those are just ballpark gathered from a couple of different sources (where the sources themselves said they were not entirely accurate because most of the money is in private endorsements, not prize money, so it's hard to get completely reliable information).

I guess both of them are ridiculous long shots for most high school athletes, but if you're truly elite in both, it seems like it'd be a lot easier to be one of what, 60, starting cb's than top 10 in any individual track specialty.

defiantdog
01-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Hell, Bama already has one future Olympian with Tony Brown (if he can stay out of jail). The guy ran a 10.53 in the 100-Meters and set the class 4A record in the 100-Meter Hurdles. Bama may get a decent track and field team by accident

Perpetual Underachiever
01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Humphrey is a world class athlete and appears to have a legitimate chance at having a professional career in track or football. My inner bulldog tells me that this will end in typical bulldog fashion... but the more i've read about his recruitment the more confident i've become. Looking at our odds, objectively as possible, I feel that we really do have offer this young man as good an opportunity to succeed as Bama and FSU. We have the edge in several key areas IMO, with track being the most important.

Our track program has had great success recently and is clearly a program on the rise. If Humphrey was just looking at his track future it would be between State and FSU. What gives us the advantage is how openly and seamlessly our track and football programs have worked together in the recruiting process. Saban saying that he is ok with Humphrey pursuing track and football is nothing but window dressing. Our coaches have shown that we offer the best opportunity for him to succeed in both sports.

Other than history, saban, and family ties, what edge does bama really have*? Bama is going to be down next year, Saban's future at bama is uncertain, etc, etc.

Win or lose, I'm very proud of how aggressive and proactive our staff has been in the recruitment of Humphrey. Even if we don't get him, our efforts will pay dividends with future prospects from Hoover.

defiantdog
01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Humphrey is a world class athlete and appears to have a legitimate chance at having a professional career in track or football. My inner bulldog tells me that this will end in typical bulldog fashion... but the more i've read about his recruitment the more confident i've become. Looking at our odds, objectively as possible, I feel that we really do have offer this young man as good an opportunity to succeed as Bama and FSU. We have the edge in several key areas IMO, with track being the most important.

Our track program has had great success recently and is clearly a program on the rise. If Humphrey was just looking at his track future it would be between State and FSU. What gives us the advantage is how openly and seamlessly our track and football programs have worked together in the recruiting process. Saban saying that he is ok with Humphrey pursuing track and football is nothing but window dressing. Our coaches have shown that we offer the best opportunity for him to succeed in both sports.

Other than history, saban, and family ties, what edge does bama really have*? Bama is going to be down next year, Saban's future at bama is uncertain, etc, etc.

Win or lose, I'm very proud of how aggressive and proactive our staff has been in the recruitment of Humphrey. Even if we don't get him, our efforts will pay dividends with future prospects from Hoover.

Nice first post.... but I'm not sure where everyone is getting that Saban is "allowing" Humphrey to run track. According to Bobby Humphrey, Saban is trying to talk Humphrey and Brown out of being a part of the track team because....

1. You really don't get any rest
2. Track counters with Spring practice
3. The Olympics (and Olympic trials) will take place when you are most likely trying to enter the NFL draft
4. There is not a long term career in track and field

Now these are all points Saban and Smart told Marlon and his dad. Dudley and Mullen were more proactive last week in how we can work with both. This is what gives us the advantage in this situation. It all depends on whether Marlon falls into the pressure of going to Bama or chasing a dream and coming to State.

Perpetual Underachiever
01-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Nice first post.... but I'm not sure where everyone is getting that Saban is "allowing" Humphrey to run track. According to Bobby Humphrey, Saban is trying to talk Humphrey and Brown out of being a part of the track team because....

I have no source for this. Thought that I had read some previous post that claimed saban was going to allow him to try both. What you're saying makes much more sense, and plays into our sales pitch perfectly.

... It all depends on whether Marlon falls into the pressure of going to Bama or chasing a dream and coming to State.

This pretty much sums it all up. Will he succumb to the "pressure" and make the "easy" choice of Bama, or will he choose to chase his dreams and put his faith in our coaches and the plan we presented? Extremely tough decision. I can only imagine how hard it would be to say "no" to coach Saban and bama nation.

We both will provide him with the coaching, training, facilities, and exposure to give him every opportunity to play his way onto an NFL roster. IMO neither school can claim an edge in preparing him for the NFL.

Realistically bama offers him the best opportunity to win a national championship in football.

State offers him a fighters chance at an SEC championship, which pretty much means a shot at the title. But we also are willing to offer him the glory of an individual national title in track and a spot in the olympics.

TexasDawg
01-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Take for what it's worth:

Marlon is still undecided, and wants to
Visit us after Bama for a reason. He believes in the plan Townsend and Dudley have shown. We are a MAJOR player in this. Will come down to the wire. Hearing from a VERY credible source he is still undecided.

NeshobaChuck
01-26-2014, 01:57 AM
With Bryant supposedly taking a last minute visit to Southern Miss. Tells me that I feel bout 90% sure we get Humphrey. Because stop and think about it they play same position, last minute visit for Bryant, Humphrey still undecided, we get last impression (which Matters a lot), and either Humphrey told him he's coming, or coaches told him and told him to look else were to attend nothing personal it's just we don't have room for the both of you. And would be one heck of a hat fake on nation wide tv and if he does do others follow him that day is the question?

CadaverDawg
01-26-2014, 04:16 AM
With Bryant supposedly taking a last minute visit to Southern Miss. Tells me that I feel bout 90% sure we get Humphrey. Because stop and think about it they play same position, last minute visit for Bryant, Humphrey still undecided, we get last impression (which Matters a lot), and either Humphrey told him he's coming, or coaches told him and told him to look else were to attend nothing personal it's just we don't have room for the both of you. And would be one heck of a hat fake on nation wide tv and if he does do others follow him that day is the question?

Chuck, I may be wrong, but I am pretty certain Bryant isn't a guy we would tell to look elsewhere even if we were getting Humphrey. Bryant is top 10 in the State, so we would take them both, or use someone else to clear room...not Bryant. I highly doubt Bryant has anything at all to do with Humphrey. But I may be wrong.

maroonmania
01-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Chuck, I may be wrong, but I am pretty certain Bryant isn't a guy we would tell to look elsewhere even if we were getting Humphrey. Bryant is top 10 in the State, so we would take them both, or use someone else to clear room...not Bryant. I highly doubt Bryant has anything at all to do with Humphrey. But I may be wrong.

^^This^^. No doubt we are still very much an underdog to get Humphrey's signature on signing day no matter where things stand today.

OurState
01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Take for what it's worth:

Marlon is still undecided, and wants to
Visit us after Bama for a reason. He believes in the plan Townsend and Dudley have shown. We are a MAJOR player in this. Will come down to the wire. Hearing from a VERY credible source he is still undecided.

It is hard to get 5 stars out of Alabama. Their boo$ter$ do a great job of $elling the $chool.

TUSK
01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
It is hard to get 5 stars out of Alabama. Their boo$ter$ do a great job of $elling the $chool.

RECdoinwerkku

paco
01-26-2014, 01:07 PM
It is important to remember that Bobby Humphrey (Marlon's dad) is now working with Bryant Bank. That may have sealed the deal for Bama. However, I'm not giving up on him.

ScottH
01-26-2014, 01:18 PM
It is important to remember that Bobby Humphrey (Marlon's dad) is now working with Bryant Bank.

That is critically important to remember.

NeshobaChuck
01-26-2014, 02:29 PM
I still think that he is about to pull the greatest hat fake ever with alabama. IMO if he's stayed undecided for this long and alabama is in the mix and didnt decide at UA all american bowl Bama fans are getting worried. Because if he was going to Alabama any 5* recruit would've already said they were going to bama. I think we are getting this kid. And adding him and Bryant both to this secondary is huge and could possibly be the best secondary in the SEC IMO

defiantdog
01-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Bobby has been at Bryant Bank since Ham lost its arena football team about 4 or 5 years ago. Working at the bank didn't get his oldest son to Obama but you never know. But Marlon did take an Unofficial to Bama to hang out with Dupre last week.

TheRef
01-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Per Robbie on Twitter, Humphrey is visiting for multiple days starting today.

RougeDawg
01-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Hypothetical: Marlon does sign with State. How long before Slive sicks the "Dogs" on us once again? You know damn well the Bama elites will be in his ear if he chooses lil ole MSU over their beloved crimson tide.

Political Hack
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Bobby has been at Bryant Bank since Ham lost its arena football team about 4 or 5 years ago. Working at the bank didn't get his oldest son to Obama but you never know. But Marlon did take an Unofficial to Bama to hang out with Dupre last week.

that's great news. if the bailout wouldn't get his oldest son to commit to Obama, I'm not sure how a job at Bryant Bank would impact Marlon.

missouridawg
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Bobby's other son didn't go to Bama because he wasn't talented enough.

defiantdog
01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
that's great news. if the bailout wouldn't get his oldest son to commit to Obama, I'm not sure how a job at Bryant Bank would impact Marlon.

Stupid phone auto correcting Bama to say Obama.... I guess since Google bought out Motorola they became extremely liberal ****

Bryant Bank is owned by Bear Bryant's son and works with Bama like Bobby Lowder did with Colonial Bank and Auburn.

Bobby's other son didn't go to Bama because he wasn't talented enough.

And don't you think that puts a sour taste in Bobby's mouth still since Saban didn't at least give his other son an offer.

msstate7
01-26-2014, 04:17 PM
God please let marlon commit to us on Tuesday. Think this would put a damper on Rawlings choosing OM over us?

defiantdog
01-26-2014, 04:34 PM
God please let marlon commit to us on Tuesday. Think this would put a damper on Rawlings choosing OM over us?

One could only hope man.... but he's gonna take all his visits and then commit to his team of choice via a phone call. He's not gonna hold a press conference and showboat like a lot these kids do.

Rayburn8
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Any news on how the visit is going?

Coach34
01-26-2014, 06:30 PM
It would be a helluva pull by Mullen, Collins, Townsend, and the track coach. I'm sure we are pulling out all the stops. Need Collins to open one of those cans of SWAG today

defiantdog
01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Mom and dad are with him on the visit.... they arrived an hour ago. Hopefully Gerri Green stuck around for a little #catchupgang talk

Todd4State
01-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Honestly, no matter what happens with Rawlings one way or the other, I'd like to see Humphrey commit to us on NSD if we are chosen. If I was the one trying to win a press conference, that's what I would do anyway.