PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thomas

msstate7
01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
He seems to be turning a corner. I think he could be a really nice player next season

engie
01-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Nah... I heard here that he was worthless and we should pull his scholarship**

Progressing according to a normal collegiate schedule. In the future, we won't have to baptize freshmen and sophs by fire when they aren't ready mentally. He's getting pretty close to being ready now -- and his confidence is getting to where it needs to be for him to be really dangerous.

Dawg61
01-22-2014, 11:39 PM
He's played better but I'm still amazed how poor of a dribbler he is. If he could drive half as well as Sword he'd become dangerous. Pretty decent defender. His length is good for a couple steals a game.

It_Could_Happen
01-23-2014, 12:17 AM
I hope we put him on Marshall and let him chase him around all game. His last two games have been much improved.

DawgInMemphis
01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
He's played better but I'm still amazed how poor of a dribbler he is. If he could drive half as well as Sword he'd become dangerous. Pretty decent defender. His length is good for a couple steals a game.

He's an above average perimeter defender, and getting better.

Jacksondevildog
01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Agreed. His perimeter defense due to his length is outstanding. He is getting better. In years past, Thomas probably wouldn't be playing much right now. He's having to go 30+ minutes per game. He added weight in the off season and got stronger. I expect him to have a solid junior year.
He's an above average perimeter defender, and getting better.

thf24
01-23-2014, 10:23 AM

I haven't been able to watch enough of us to argue, but he's averaging less than two turnovers in 30 minutes this year, so I'm not too worried about his ball handling. He seems to be finding his shot, and if he can just get somewhat consistent in that area, his inability to drive won't hurt us nearly as much.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Just watch when he dribbles. It's .80% with his right hand and he's immediately looking to pass or shoot. He just looks scared shitless when he has to dribble. He is getting better though and his shot has improved.

smootness
01-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Everyone dribbles primarily with their dominant hand. And he's certainly better than a 'pretty decent' defender.

TheRef
01-23-2014, 10:45 AM
It could be worse. I remember yelling at some players to pass the ball when they would attempt to walk it down the court. I think it was Elgin that we yelled to pass the ball instead of bring it up the court. He had a bad habit of that and he almost always lost control of the ball.

tcdog70
01-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I would say he might be our best defender. He will only get better. When He and Borchert play well we have a chance to win. We must shoot a high % on our freethrows and He and Borchert are capable of making them.

msstate7
01-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Everyone dribbles primarily with their dominant hand. And he's certainly better than a 'pretty decent' defender.
I think he's a good defender also. Bc of this he's probably the key to winning Saturday. Surely he draws Henderson

Coach34
01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Fortunately, real life sports isnt like Playstation. Players develop at different rates and perform differently on different nights.

FTF is an above average defender that is starting to find his shot. Now that he is in the 2nd half of his 2nd season, you can see him becoming more confident on the court and the game is slowing down for him. His length will hopefully give Cokehead some problems Saturday.

engie
01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Just watch when he dribbles. It's .80% with his right hand and he's immediately looking to pass or shoot. He just looks scared shitless when he has to dribble. He is getting better though and his shot has improved.

Like I told you when you were advocating pulling his scholarship and piling onto the bad games he had early in the year -- Thomas DOES NOT have a talent issue. He's just got a confidence issue. As he finds confidence in his shot -- the rest will eventually come along with it and he'll be a good SEC player.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Maybe me saying his scholarship should get pulled has helped him somehow. If it takes Fred Thomas hating my guts to play better than so be it.

Drugdog
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Maybe me saying his scholarship should get pulled has helped him somehow. If it takes Fred Thomas hating my guts to play better than so be it.

Umm, Sure.

smootness
01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Yeah, that's it.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't be the first time someone has used these boards as motivation.

mic
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Fred is a good off the ball defender and even better on the ball defender. Very good length and can defend the 2,3 and even some 4 if he has too.
Offense wise he has still got to knock down more shots for us. he is not near the scorer I thought he would be even thou he is just a Soph.
Just like EVERY player we have on the team now they are all improving..

chef dixon
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM

We don't need Fred to dribble. We have plenty of guards on this team that can do that. We need Fred to play good defense, run the floor, and hit jump shots.

Dawg61
01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
We do need Fred to dribble. If you haven't noticed teams like to press us forcing our guards to pass to Fred or Jimmer and they end up being the ones crossing the half court. He doesn't have to be Jason Williams but he does need to improve his ball-handling. Again he has played much better the last two games.