PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play a college sport?

Sam&DeansDawg
01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Just being curious.
I played football at Old Dominion in 09 and 2010.

Mjoelner34
01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I played a semester of rugby for MSU when I was 30 even though I wasn't a student then. Does that count? Was going to play JUCO baseball until I hit my first calculus test. Was smart enough to know that I had a better chance of becoming an engineer than getting drafted by the Yankees so that ended that.

pdawg10msu
01-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Had some small football scholarships and had a good many d1 baseball scholarships but chose football and played one year and had a knee injury and couldn't handle the classes after my surgery and dropped. Wish I woulda played baseball.

PMDawg2
01-22-2014, 05:38 PM
yes

mstatefan91
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm on the MSU powerlifting club. lol

Sam&DeansDawg
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
I played a year and a half. I was going to play at Miss College then ODU offered and I couldn't turn it down. Rugy is a true man's sport Mj.. My shoulder wouldn't allow that, as football didn't either. I feel your pain on the injury area pdawg. Sucked then and sucks now.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I played a semester of rugby for MSU when I was 30 even though I wasn't a student then.

Much respect Sir

Coach34
01-22-2014, 05:57 PM
2 years of juco baseball

MSUDeltadawg1971
01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
One year of juco football, second knee surgery I decided to hang it up.

DCdawg
01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
2 years of JUCO baseball here.

DownwardDawg
01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Beer pong, quarters, hood surfing, etc. Does riding in laundromat dryers count as a sport? Pretty sure I got the record for that.

dawgoneyall
01-22-2014, 06:42 PM
JC football. And that broke me from sucking eggs.

Op4isabitch
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Played 4 yrs of rugby union in college, played 6 yrs of rugby league on club level.

blacklistedbully
01-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Played rugby for Mississippi State for 3 years. Had played it in high school in England, then after MSU, I was the only white guy in a Tongan Rugby League in Cali. That league got shut down due to constant brawls from the spectators. Then I played at the highest level league in the US, the NorCal RFU. All-in-all, I played approximately 17 seasons.

After returning from England, I actually went to Perk for freshman year, and tried out for Coach Siecord. Didn't have a clue how to play football. They asked me what position I played, and told them I hadn't, but DE looked like fun. As I was 6'1 & 190 lbs, they kinda chuckled and threw me in with the LBs. Again, had NO CLUE what to do, so it didn't end well. But I did make it to the final day of cuts. Only did it for my dad, who was a big-time football player in his day.

chainedup_Dawg
01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Baseball, 2 years juco, 1 year at Memphis. Was my dream to play at State and tore my rotator cuff the summer before I decided to try and walk on at State. Gave it up and have regretted it ever since

Hattdawg
01-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Four years in D1 pink panty pulldown, if that's considered a sport. My friends and I certainly thought so.

Political Hack
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
walked away from small schools basketball offers... should've taken one.

Thought I was good enough to get a big boy offer after being drug along by an AAU coach... I wasn't good enough and was too dumb about the process to realize I was ignoring the only schools that were interested in me.

Squidawg11
01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
1 year JUCO baseball. Delta State recruited me in JUCO, but there was 0% chance I was going to play for Kinnison and I could not take another day of Junior College, so I transferred to State and enjoyed my final 3 years.

TheRef
01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
1 year JUCO baseball. Delta State recruited me in JUCO, but there was 0% chance I was going to play for Kinnison and I could not take another day of Junior College, so I transferred to State and enjoyed my final 3 years.

Why not be a Fighting Okra?

Separate note: the Okra may be my favorite mascot of all time. The Boll Weevil is a close second.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 07:58 PM
1 year JUCO baseball. Delta State recruited me in JUCO, but there was 0% chance I was going to play for Kinnison .

One of my worst mistakes I ever made was not playing for Kinnison when I had the chance- TWICE

Percho
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I played 1 year for a college coach. 7th grade for Bob Tyler. Gave it up and became the jock washer in HS.

Belegal
01-22-2014, 08:06 PM
2 years juco wide receiver & juco tennis kinda- filled in on tennis team when regulars didn't make grades

Squidawg11
01-22-2014, 08:53 PM

Separate note: the Okra may be my favorite mascot of all time. The Boll Weevil is a close second.

I thought about it, but it had always been my dream to play at State and when I realized I was not good enough, I just decided to give it up. It was either SEC or bust for me. Kinnison is a great coach, but he is a hard ass. I did not want to put in all that was involved just to play DII. I loved baseball, but playing in college is a grind. I knew my future was in the books and I wanted to have fun in college. I transferred to State, met my wife, met the best friends I have ever had, got into law school (which I am currently attending), and have not regretted my decision once.

99jc
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
got place in Baseball at Seminole Junior College by MSU played 1 season and went Pro played in Cincinnati Reds Farm system for 5 years made it to triple A for 3 Months.

MSUDeltadawg1971
01-22-2014, 09:01 PM

TheRef, my undergrad is from UAM, ain't nothin meaner than a damn boll weevil! Ask the aardvark. Haha

AFDawg
01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
After not playing football since 9th grade, in graduate school I was--briefly--a TE for the University of Limerick American Football Club Vikings. Shortly into my season I broke my collar bone. Thus ended my college football career. So yeah--I'm a pretty big deal.

NBdawg17
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
4 yrs college baseball

TUSK
01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
3 semesters at Bama til I blew out my liver.

Finished with a 0.22 BAC.

Todd4State
01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
3 semesters at Bama til I blew out my liver.

Finished with a 0.22 BAC.

That's three more semesters than most Bama fans.

Okrastar1
01-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Made it through one year of football at Delta State, thoroughly enjoyed other three as a frat guy!

TheRef
01-23-2014, 12:07 AM
I've played Ultimate Frisbee.........does that count?

Lariverdog
01-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Table tennis at State. Count it?

sandwolf
01-23-2014, 01:11 AM
That's three more semesters than most Bama fans.

Haha, nicely done.

Dawgfan77
01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
3 1/2 years of college golf..didnt set any course records but had fun

EngineerDawg
01-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Juco soccer here.

Jacksondevildog
01-23-2014, 07:57 AM
4 years college baseball
1.5 years of minor league baseball

Political Hack
01-23-2014, 08:32 AM
4 years college baseball
1.5 years of minor league baseball

Paps brother?

BrunswickDawg
01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Does having enough talent to hit a "called shot" anytime I wanted in intramural softball count?? Got to give props to all of you willing to tough it out at any of these levels. I was good enough at baseball to start 3 years in the toughest HS region in GA. I had a friend that walked on at State and he wanted me to come out. I went to watch some of the team work out a day or two before walk on tryouts and saw how everyone hit BBs to the wall and just didn't have the confidence in my skills at the plate to actually try.

Jacksondevildog
01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
I wish. I would have a little more money. Same organization.

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
01-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Played D1 golf at University of Houston (Fr), LSU (3 semesters) and MSU (2 1/2 years). Lost a year of eligibility on the transfer to State and played every tournament once I was eligible there for the last 1 1/2.

Schultzy
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Two years Juco baseball, walked on at State, got cut, glad I tried.

graphicBYdesign
01-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I played 3 years of golf. Good times.

Hypnodawg
01-23-2014, 09:37 AM
2 years Rugby for MSU 95-97. Started at prop moved to lock. Loyola took out my ACL coming in off-sides on a ruck. Spent a year rehabbing. Dislocated my shoulder helping the team practice and decided to hang it up.

ETA: I loved playing with that group of guys.

tcdog70
01-23-2014, 11:03 AM
JUCO-basketball

rtdawg
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Played baseball with the Dawgs for 5 years. 4 years under Coach Polk, last year with Coach Mac. Had the time of my life.

blacklistedbully
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
2 years Rugby for MSU 95-97. Started at prop moved to lock. Loyola took out my ACL coming in off-sides on a ruck. Spent a year rehabbing. Dislocated my shoulder helping the team practice and decided to hang it up.

ETA: I loved playing with that group of guys.Yep, dislocated shoulder was one of numerous injuries I suffered playing rugby 17 seasons. That one was the worst. Was playing weak-side break when this massive #8 from the other team tried to get by me. I took a lot of pride in locking down the weak-side, so I hit that mofo with everything I had. Dude had thighs like tree-trunks. He didn't get by, but my shoulder popped out on the hit. Didn't want to get taken out, so I didn't tell anyone and kept playing, trying to pop it back in myself, but it just got worse. After the game, I was toast for the rest of the season. New coach the following year started the season with the guy who had backed me up before my injury as "the returning starter".

I had my first kid that same year, so let my training slip as I doted on my baby girl. Rugby is a great sport if you're fit, but miserable if you're not. That was when I decided to take a year off, then just got too busy to get back in it. Lot of sacrifice to play at the high club level. I played on teams that had former NFL & college football players, one a safety from the 49ers and another a LB from the Packers. If you want to play at that level, you have to be really fit. By the time my second daughter was born, I was so far gone I'd have had to kill myself training, and just didn't want to do that when I could spend my free time with my girls.

Even though I started eating a bit more nutritiously, my weight shot up from 205 to 265. Would love to get back into rugby, but my knees are pretty bad from all those years (and probably carrying around that extra weight for years after).

Injuries included the aforementioned shoulder, numerous broken noses, a broken thumb, fractured ribs, a concussion, cauliflower ear & assorted minor injuries we all play through. One of the things I loved about the sport was the guys that played it were clearly dedicated to it, as we all got the crap beat out of us several times a year without ever being paid. Truly for love-of-the-game.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
3 years baseball at William Carey. I see a few Delta State/Kinnison comments. We played them every year - we finally beat them at their place my junior year after they made a few errors and their pitching gave up 10 runs - as we were loading our bus to leave, he was still chewing his team out and getting them ready to run. He's intense for sure, but he has put some mighty impressive teams together over the years. He's kinda like Halford for Carey - been there forever, will have to die or retire.

Didn't get to State til grad school and was amazed at what I missed out on. To me, SEC campus >>> small Baptist school campus, and Starkville >>> Hattiesburg. Probably a little more to do in Hattiesburg, but I'll take college town atmosphere over big city with a couple colleges that happen to be there all day long.

Mjoelner34
01-23-2014, 12:28 PM

ETA: I loved playing with that group of guys.

I played during the non-SEC semester of '96. They said I was too slow to be a back and too small to be a 'fat boy' but they needed more 'fat boys' so at 6' 195 lbs, 30 years old and having never played rugby, they stuck me at lock. #5. I recieved plenty of pain like the baseball sized knot on the side of my knee after getting rucked over by aluminum cleats at Tulane, busted lips, nose and bruises to parts of my body I didn't know existed but never got injured during a game. My ears survived thanks to electrical tape. I survived the violence of the games and of Tuesday practices just to get hurt and miss a couple of weeks during one of our 'touch' practices on Thursday. Something popped in the bottom of my foot and I couldn't run or jump for 2 weeks.

I still remember doing a mile run before every practice, practicing for 2 hours wide open then running killers after practice. I still remember our team doctor. He was team doctor because he was a vet student. I also remember that one of our backs had a tounge piercing that he didn't take out before a game. By halftime, it was sticking out of a hole below his lower lip. Lets just say that the comaraderie and the after parties made it all worth it and I wish I could do it again.

M.Fillmore
01-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Bowling for three years. Don't laugh, won the Conference.

Bullmutt
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
One year juco football.