PDA

View Full Version : Basketball questions

msstate7
01-22-2014, 05:17 PM
1. Anyone close to the program know how well ndoye is performing in practice? Can we expect any (scoring, rebounds, blocks) production from him next season?

2. How good are Houston, black, Daniels, and Dunlap?

This season has got me excited about our prospects for a good season next year.

smootness
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
1. Not close to the program, but I'm expecting Ndoye to be able to block some shots and rebound fairly well, but I'm not expecting much of anything offensively. Which is fine with me. As long as he can give us depth, spell Ware when he needs a rest, and give teams something to think about when they try to drive the line, that's a positive.

2. I expect Daniels to play a lot. Ray mentioned that he's more of a shooter than a slasher, so I think as long as he can knock down mid-range jumpers and some 3s here and there, Ray's going to want him on the floor. He's also versatile and is supposedly a pretty good passer, so he should do well in our offense.

I don't expect us to count on Black a lot to begin with, but I think he's being overlooked in this class. Ray really seems to like him and has mentioned more than once that he's improved every time he's watched him play. I think he'll give us more depth down low and will be able to step in and play defense right away, but his offense will probably hold him back early in his career.

Dunlap and Houston, we'll see. Some have expressed reservations about Dunlap, but from what I've seen, he has a natural ability to hit jump shots. We can always use that; he's undersized but will play some. Houston is a pure athlete, but I don't really know where he stands skill-wise. He should combine with Sword and Thomas to lock down the perimeter on defense with his long arms and athleticism, but I don't know what the learning curve will be.

I think we can reasonably expect to fight for the postseason next year.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Daniels will start at the 4 next year I think
Some people think Houston is Ray's best signee to date and will play alot next year

Next Year:

PG- Ready backed up by Bloodman
SG- Sword backed up by late signee this Spring
SF- FTF backed up by Houston
PF- Daniels backed up by Roq Johnson
C- Ware backed up by Ndoye

I'd redshirt Dunlap and Black unless Black was ready physically

chef dixon
01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Don't sleep on Dunlap. He may not be big but he can shoot the rock and his range is ridiculous. He will probably be the best shooter on this team as soon as he steps on campus.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Don't sleep on Dunlap. He may not be big but he can shoot the rock and his range is ridiculous. He will probably be the best shooter on this team as soon as he steps on campus.

I hear ya...but being 6'1 and being guarded by people 6'4 and 6'5 is going to lower that FG%. Not to mention him being out-muscled when he is on D. I am in no hurry to see him and Ready at the guards. We will be small.

Let him redshirt and get stronger while we hopefully find a juco shooter to come in. If not, we can play Fred at the 2 to back up Sword and let Houston or Roq plat the 3. Sword is going to play 32 mins/game anyway- so Dunlap wouldnt play much anyway

Dawg61
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Until Fred becomes a better ball-handler he doesn't need to be dribbling or passing very much. He is way too mistake prone with the ball in his hands right now. Although he did play his best game in two months vs aTm.

TheRef
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
According to Borchert during the Tuesday press conference, Ndoye is going to blow people away next season. Says that he is tearing it up in practice.

Dawg61
01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
According to Borchert during the Tuesday press conference, Ndoye is going to blow people away next season. Says that he is tearing it up in practice.

Awesome to hear. I was expecting zero out of him till you put that up.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Ndoye has been a pleasant surprise according to the coaches he is better than they thought. Houston is a 6'7 chicken very long and athletic by far Ray's best signee. Black has horrendous grades and will struggle to qualify which is why he is at IMG to try and become eligible. Dunlap is a big question mark. Not many 5'11 two guards in the SEC. Daniels supposedly is practicing well evidently witchita state wanted him at the end of the recruiting process.