PDA

View Full Version : SDS Burning Questions

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
So SDS throws out 5 ?'s about 2014 for each West Team - http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/sec-west-offseason-burning-questions/

It is a nice change of pace to see all of our questions are positives. QB a Heisman Dark (Dak) horse? Jameon best kept secret? Is this CDM's best team?

And, most of the other teams questions are legit "how can you replace XXX??" or "Is XXX QB going to lose his job?"

The wool is getting thick fellas....

Coach34
01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
What's crazy is that State and OM could have the 2 best defensive lines in the SEC

smootness
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
It's funny, they talk about Ole Miss' DL, but I'll take C. Jones/P. Smith/N. James/K. Eulls/P. Jones/A. Jefferson/R. Brown over R. Nkemdiche/C. Johnson/C. Ward/I. Gross/B. Bennett.

Ole Miss has talent and toughness on their line, but overall it's pretty small. CJ Johnson is still basically LB size; Gross is small, no bigger than somebody like Ray Lewis; Ward and Nkemdiche are good size, but they have a lot of DTs around 6'2" and under 300 pounds. It's just hard to be a great DL in the SEC without enough size.

Meanwhile, Preston Smith is huge; Chris Jones is huge; Nick James is mammoth; Ryan Brown is above-average in size; PJ Jones and Eulls are no less than average in size as 4-3 DTs. The only somewhat undersized guy we have is Jefferson, and he's still bigger than some of their DEs.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Our actual burning questions:

(1) How much of a drop off will there be from Gabe Jackson to his replacement?
(2) Can we find an immediate replacement for Sidoway?
(3) Will we have a solid free safety to start the year?
(4) Will one of the young wide receivers emerge as the deep threat that has been missing for basically all of Mullen's tenure?
(5) Will Dak stay healthy?

Even trying to be negative, it'd be hard to have a non-'Bama type team with fewer significant question marks. While I'm sure we will have a drop off at guard, we should have a healthy Malone and an improved Clayborne, with an experienced backup, so we should be solid. I am worried about RT, but we don't need a superstar to avoid a drop-off, just a good JUCO replacement. While Whitley came up huge at the end of the year, surely one of our returning safeties can do at least as well as he did playing hobbled for most of the year. The WR question is really only a question of how much we will improve, not whether we need to replace anybody and the injury question is something every team has to deal with. I'm not sure where we're good enough to havea special season next year or not, but barring key injuries, I don't think any State team since I've been a fan has had a higher floor than this team. With the exception of RT, we pretty much know what we have everywhere on the field.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
I think it's just going to depend on that Saturday- but without question the 4 best DL's are State, Ole Miss, Bammer, and Auburn...LSU will finally take a small step back.

mic
01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
It's funny, they talk about Ole Miss' DL, but I'll take C. Jones/P. Smith/N. James/K. Eulls/P. Jones/A. Jefferson/R. Brown over R. Nkemdiche/C. Johnson/C. Ward/I. Gross/B. Bennett.

Ole Miss has talent and toughness on their line, but overall it's pretty small. CJ Johnson is still basically LB size; Gross is small, no bigger than somebody like Ray Lewis; Ward and Nkemdiche are good size, but they have a lot of DTs around 6'2" and under 300 pounds. It's just hard to be a great DL in the SEC without enough size.

Meanwhile, Preston Smith is huge; Chris Jones is huge; Nick James is mammoth; Ryan Brown is above-average in size; PJ Jones and Eulls are no less than average in size as 4-3 DTs. The only somewhat undersized guy we have is Jefferson, and he's still bigger than some of their DEs.

Both DL's are extremely talented. OM is adding good depth. I still feel we have more depth.
The main thing is going to be would you rather have Turner or Kifin as the coach.? I will take Turner

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

(4) Will one of the young wide receivers emerge as the deep threat that has been missing for basically all of Mullen's tenure?

1. Clayborn as a Soph wont be Jackson as a Sr good- but he will be Jackson as a Soph good.
2. I think Malone will be better than Siddoway
3. With everyone returning but Nickoe- I think we will be fine here
4. Wilson should really make some plays, Ross will make more of an impact also now that he has had a season to develop and get experience
5. Shit I hope so. The schedule wont be as tough so that will help. Williams or Staley will be able to get some work more often because of that.

smootness
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

I don't think Dak's health is a burning question, at least not any more than any other QBs who run, and he's bigger than most.

I'd say they are:

1) Basically the same as your top 2. Who will replace Jackson/Siddoway, and how good will they be? Will there be a drop-off on the OL?
2) How good can Chris Jones be? He can either be about as good as last year, which is plenty good, or as good as anybody in college football.
3) Will Nick James and/or Quay Evans get it together? If even one does, and it looks like James may, our DL becomes scary.
4) Same as your #4. Receivers.
5) How good will Prescott be? And ultimately I think this is the most important question. If he's as good as last year, great, we should have a good year. But if he can take a step forward, he can put himself among the best in the game and truly take us to places we've never been before.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Quay is a non-issue at this point. James on the other hand, is finally coming around like he should

Dawgtini
01-22-2014, 01:26 PM
5) How good will Prescott be? And ultimately I think this is the most important question. If he's as good as last year, great, we should have a good year. But if he can take a step forward, he can put himself among the best in the game and truly take us to places we've never been before.

This. All day. Where can he take us? I don't know, because we have never been there before.

defiantdog
01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm hoping we really increase the depth on our DL in this recruiting class so we can move Chris Jones back to DE.... Cory Thomas is huge for this class cause I think he'll most definitely play as a true freshman.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Mine:

1. Does Mullen get more creative in the run game to make use of his weapons at QB, RB and TE?
2. Does Nick James stay on course to making him and Jones the best DT combo in the SEC?
3. Who takes the RG position? Johnson? Flowers?
4. Will Mullen stretch the field vertically in the passing game?
5. Are LB's McKinney, Wells, and B. Brown the best in the SEC? (they will be our 1st group of starting LB's to all be drafted)

Bullmutt
01-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Surprised ST's wasn't one of the five.

smootness
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm hoping we really increase the depth on our DL in this recruiting class so we can move Chris Jones back to DE.... Cory Thomas is huge for this class cause I think he'll most definitely play as a true freshman.

I think we have to close out with at least, and probably 3, more DL in this class. Looking back, 2012 was a big DL class, though at this point we're just hoping one of the James/Evans combo pans out. Then we only signed Chris Jones last year, then Trent Simpson came in...so we brought in 2 DL last year, but Jones will be gone after 3 years. Right now we only have Hoyett committed as a HS DL. We just can't have two thin DL years in a row. It seems clear the staff agrees, as they are loading up on DL targets near the end and let go of Liggins because they know they need impact guys.

Next year should be another big DL class, but we have to fill out this year's class with some quality players. Grant Harris seems to be a decent prospect, but he's also a tweener. I think we need at least 2 of the Trey Carter/Cory Thomas/Marcus Griffin/Taylor Stallworth group, and it appears Stallworth may be a long shot right now.

Coach34

Why do people keep wanting Jones at DE? He's a dominant player at DT and demands double teams. If James stays on the path he is on- holy shit we will be unreal at DT. Those 2 controlling the middle- allowing McKinney and Brown to just run and tackle make our defense tough as hell.

smootness
Coach, do you have personal knowledge that Flowers is now at G? It just seemed like he was much better suited to play T when he was coming out.

War Machine Dawg
01-22-2014, 01:48 PM

All of you pining for CJ at DE need to go ahead and get the hell over it. CJ is a DT. He's athletic as hell and explosive at 305 or whatever weight he'll be by the time next season starts. Hell, teams were having to double team him most of the time as a true freshman. Add in a complete offseason in the weight room and a full year with Turner to improve his technique, and CJ will be a BEAST at DT. It should also be noted that while QBs hate pressure in general, they particularly hate quick pressure straight up the middle. CJ will give us that. There's no sense in moving him to DE and forcing him to try to stay small if he's just as productive at a higher weight, especially with the emergence of Preston Smith, AJ Jefferson, and Ryan Brown at DE. Those 3 guys can flat get it done on the edge.

messageboardsuperhero
01-22-2014, 01:50 PM
1. Clayborn as a Soph wont be Jackson as a Sr good- but he will be Jackson as a Soph good.
2. I think Malone will be better than Siddoway
3. With everyone returning but Nickoe- I think we will be fine here
4. Wilson should really make some plays, Ross will make more of an impact also now that he has had a season to develop and get experience
5. Shit I hope so. The schedule wont be as tough so that will help. Williams or Staley will be able to get some work more often because of that.

When did Malone become a tackle?

I'm not questioning you that he might make the switch, because his length and feet would be a good fit at tackle. I guess I must have just missed this development.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Coach, do you have personal knowledge that Flowers is now at G? It just seemed like he was much better suited to play T when he was coming out.

was what I was told. Not saying it's 100%, but I look for him to play there.

The last 10-15 years the difference in G's and T's has slowly diminished. With zone blocking becoming the norm and pulling guard's a thing of the past, a player with good feet is valuable enough to play either unless he has short arms

Coach34
01-22-2014, 01:53 PM
When did Malone become a tackle?

in a month and a half