engie
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9305

Coach34
01-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Barrett Sallee now this? Wow

smootness
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Wow, so after all that talk about us being even with teams like Arkansas and A&M, we're actually the ones head and shoulders above the rest of them. Me likey.

messageboardsuperhero
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Damn, and he picked UM to finish 6th- so much for that "UM bias" stuff.

I hate to be "that guy," but can someone with a PG subscription copy and paste the article here?

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9305

Wow us over LSU and USC over Vandy is a surprise. Not that it can't happen, but surprised that it's getting predicted to happen.

engie
01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Just for the record...

MSU last won the SEC regular season title in 1989. This year is the best opportunity we've had in a longgg time to do it.

CadaverDawg
01-22-2014, 11:23 AM
He's just using reverse psychology with us and OM***

Goat Holder
01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Damn, and he picked UM to finish 6th- so much for that "UM bias" stuff.

No, he's still biased as hell. It's just that when he picks us to do well, you know we're going to be good, and that UM will likely suck (judging by their ranking). Regarding them, Wahl/Mayers/Turner/Mathis gone, how in the holy h*ll are they even going to make a regional? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

smootness
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
No, he's still biased as hell. It's just that when he picks us to do well, you know we're going to be good, and that UM will likely suck (judging by their ranking). Regarding them, Wahl/Mayers/Turner/Mathis gone, how in the holy h*ll are they even going to make a regional? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

So he picks us to do well only in years where we're going to do well, and he picks Ole Miss not to do well only in years where they won't do well?

Uh, actually sounds pretty unbiased and accurate.

msstate7
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
So he picks us to do well only in years where we're going to do well, and he picks Ole Miss not to do well only in years where they won't do well?

Take your logic somewhere else... Haha

CadaverDawg
01-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Haha, Rubbish!!!

Exactly what I was thinking

Goat Holder
01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Nice one, smartass. You know exactly what I'm trying to convey.

CadaverDawg
01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Kendall Rogers just followed it up on twitter by saying, "funny though, a few years back Arkansas was picked to finish 11th in the league, and they won the SEC"

Looks like I was right! He's pulling the ole CadaverDawg reverse jinx!!*

smootness
01-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Nice one, smartass. You know exactly what I'm trying to convey.

Huh? I'm trying to make a legitimate point - that perhaps he's not as unbiased as you think. If you know State's going to be good when he picks us to be good, and you know Ole Miss is going to be bad when he picks them to be bad, then perhaps he's just a good analyst.

I just find it funny that everyone was up in arms calling him biased when they assumed he had LSU #1 and us #2, but then once he announces that he has us #1, the response is, 'Well, but you know we're going to be good, so he had to put us there'. He had to put us #1 because that's where an unbiased person would rank us? Couldn't he have dropped us down at least to #2, as everyone assumed he was going to do when they assumed he was biased?

Goat Holder
01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
OK, I'll lay it out for you.

We're going to typically be better than what KR projects. So if he projects us at #1, there damn sure must be a real reason for him to be high on us. It would typically be easier to portray if he picked us say, #3. Then you can reasonably expect us to contend for #1. Since there's nowhere up for #1 to go, sure it looks like he's predicting us where we'll end up. And it's the opposite for UM. He usually has them higher than they'll really finish. So, if he predicts them #6, I expect them to be in the cellar and miss a regional completely. Remember that the SEC got 9 of 14 in last year, and 6 out of the SEC West. So predicting them #6 is actually predicting them to be above average and regional caliber. I don't think they will be.

Therein lies the bias. Clear enough for you?

He is ABSOLUTELY biased, he's shown it time after time after time. That's further proven by the recruiting rankings (that haven't panned out for Ole Miss in about 5 years now) and Ole Miss' contributions to Perfect Game. So trying to be general and clear him of that wrongdoing by saying, "Look he picked us to be good because we are LOLZZZ" is faulty at best. He picked us #1 because he knows he has to.

messageboardsuperhero
01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Regarding them, Wahl/Mayers/Turner/Mathis gone, how in the holy h*ll are they even going to make a regional? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

UM will always be at least decent while Bianco is there. They've only missed postseason play twice in his entire tenure- one was in his second year, and the other was a rebuilding year after won a co-SEC championship. I'd be very surprised if they missed a regional this year.

engie
01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
They are as good as his pitching management will allow them to be. Got alot of young talent in Oxford.

smootness
01-22-2014, 01:50 PM

We're going to typically be better than what KR projects. So if he projects us at #1, there damn sure must be a real reason for him to be high on us. It would typically be easier to portray if he picked us say, #3. Then you can reasonably expect us to contend for #1. Since there's nowhere up for #1 to go, sure it looks like he's predicting us where we'll end up. And it's the opposite for UM. He usually has them higher than they'll really finish. So, if he predicts them #6, I expect them to be in the cellar and miss a regional completely. Remember that the SEC got 9 of 14 in last year, and 6 out of the SEC West. So predicting them #6 is actually predicting them to be above average and regional caliber. I don't think they will be.

He is ABSOLUTELY biased, he's shown it time after time after time. That's further proven by the recruiting rankings (that haven't panned out for Ole Miss in about 5 years now) and Ole Miss' contributions to Perfect Game. So trying to be general and clear him of that wrongdoing by saying, "Look he picked us to be good because we are LOLZZZ" is faulty at best. He picked us #1 because he knows he has to.

Even our own fans don't think we're a slam-dunk #1 over LSU.

He picked us to go to Omaha last year even though we definitely weren't considered good enough to have to project there. Seems to me like he's pretty reasonable.

But yes, thanks for laying it all out for me and making it clear since I'm obviously too dumb to understand what your point was. Sounds to me like your opinion is that he's incredibly biased. My opinion is that he isn't, at least not overly so. Perfect Game does rank their classes higher than ours generally, and I'm sure a lot of that has to do with who goes to PG showcases.

What I don't know is how much of a say Kendall Rogers has in that...and it makes them more lazy than biased. Regardless, we're talking about predictions, not recruiting rankings, right now.

Is this where I call you a name or try to insult you to really drive the point home?

Goat Holder
01-22-2014, 01:52 PM
I think they peaked in 2005, then again in 2009. Basically because they were heavily recruiting MS players back when Polk was fighting the NCAA. Got away from those roots and never got back since. And they missed the tournament in 2011 after they lost their top 2 starting pitchers (Pomeranz, Barrett), similar to what they are losing this year in Wahl and Mayers. They definitely didn't win the SEC that year (you're thinking 2009, with Logan Power and those guys). Add to that their top 2 hitters in Turner and Mistone, and a team leader in Mathis, and 2 heavily leaned on relievers in Huber and Bailey, and you can see why they will struggle. Smith is their lone returning starter, after that they are leaning on Laxer, Buchanan and Ellis. Laxer and Buchanan were highly regarding recruits, but I won't believe it until I see it with them under Bianco.

Now I will say they have a core group of hitters with Overbey, Allen, Jamison, Bousfield, Anderson and Orvis. But none of them have been THAT great. Less than clutch as well. And yes, I keep up with Ole Miss baseball. I've been to my share of their games.

Five-tool Poster
01-22-2014, 01:52 PM

That is quite a theory.

bully99
01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Rogers said he talked to Cohen and Cohen said this is his fastest team and catcher and ss up for grabs with britton a slight lead

Todd4State
01-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Bias can be caused by allegiances or ignorance. In Rogers case, it was ignorance. When PG first came out, there were a lot of Ole Miss baseball people in his ear about how great they were and about how we were a dead program. Polk doesn't own a computer to this day, and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't know what PG is to this day either.
In the meantime, we didn't win enough under Polk except for maybe 2007 and 2003 to do anything to warrant respect and prove Ole Miss wrong to people like Rogers.

As I said a couple of days ago, the more we win the more people will pay attention and respect us. The more we have players drafted in the first round like Renfroe and Stratton it will cause people to pay attention as well. It also helps having people like MStatebaseball tweeting him about our team. Rogers didn't know anything about Reid Humphries until MStatebaseball let him know about him.

Now that we are winning and we have fans educating Rogers, we're going to start to get more and more attention. And I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Rogers has even been to Dudy-Noble Field yet- but I think he is coming this year. Probably when we play Ole Miss. And actually- that may be perfect because that would be a great time to make a statement since it is against a team he thinks highly of and it will be SBW, so it should be packed as long as the weather is good.

preachermatt83
01-22-2014, 06:32 PM
kendall said at the end of last year that state should easily be a top 5 team preseason in everyone's rankings. I think he tries to be as unbiased as possible.

MsStateBaseball
01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
I am shocked he put us first. From Kendall's history he just doesn't respect us. Maybe he has changed a little. When he comes to Dudy to see a series, it will change more. Todd is correct winning will change that. BUT my intuition is usually right, he had a thing for OM. I will not let him spout off about OM when we are better program. He just doesn't know any better. To not mention Humphreys as a top player for 2016, is ignorant! He led all hitters in the fall!!