PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know why MS state law limits coachs' contracts to 4 years?

starkvegasdawg
01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
To me, that could possibly hurt retention efforts by schools to lock down quality coaches. I see schools in other states offering 5-10 year contracts all the time. I realize that lengthy contracts may mean very expensive buyouts should they want to make a change sooner than expected but I would think that would be a factor each school decides how they want to handle instead of it being mandated by law. If MSU or TSUN, or anybody for that matter wants to take a chance on a coach and offer him a long term deal then I think they should be able to.

MadDawg
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Don't really know the why, but I've always understood state law dictated no state contract can be longer than the term of the governor, or four years.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
To me, that could possibly hurt retention efforts by schools to lock down quality coaches. I see schools in other states offering 5-10 year contracts all the time. I realize that lengthy contracts may mean very expensive buyouts should they want to make a change sooner than expected but I would think that would be a factor each school decides how they want to handle instead of it being mandated by law. If MSU or TSUN, or anybody for that matter wants to take a chance on a coach and offer him a long term deal then I think they should be able to.

It's probably a good policy. You don't want to tie up state money for contracts longer than that. Not sure any would really apply to coaches contracts, but there are some laws prohibiting elected officials from executing certain contracts that last beyond their term. Don't want an outgoing mayor, for example, to sign a political ally to a ten year contract when he realizes he won't win his next election. It's basically the same concept for the coaches' contracts.

And I don't think it really limits the schools that much. If they want to offer longer contracts, I think the private foundations are free to do so. It would be the private foundation and not any public money on the hook.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Plus we give Mullen an extension each year to keep his contract at 4 years

Yossarian
01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't think that coaches were paid with state funds. May be wrong, but I though that we didn't use state funds for athletics.

Coach34
01-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes, part of the coaches salary is paid by the University- ie- state funds

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
I didn't think that coaches were paid with state funds. May be wrong, but I though that we didn't use state funds for athletics.

I think generally $250k comes from state funds. Not sure if that's actual compensation that is used to calculate pension and other benefits or if the $250k includes the value of pension and other benefits.

bully99
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
That law applies to all employees of the state not just coaches. I thought at one time it applied to people who made above a certain income level. Not sure if that is still true. I like the law because it prevents schools from giving ridiculous long term contracts. I think it protects both sides.

Jack Lambert
01-22-2014, 12:25 PM

I think they are in the state retirement system just like city and county employees.