PDA

View Full Version : MSU Tennis (sort of)

bully99
01-21-2014, 09:32 PM
MSU tennis has started and we're ranked in the top fifteen. Mostly foreign players. Was looking at the roster and saw one of the top players was no longer on the team. Romain Bogearts from Belgium. He was the top college freshman in the country last year and we would probably be top ten if he were still on team.
Turns out he transferred to Wake Forest.Found an interview he did last August about why he left State.

He said "I had a lot of great matches and I improved my game a lot, but the academics were not great. Here it's so much better. That's one of the reasons I came here ". He also talked about the facilities at WF. Remember this interview took place in August before he ever took classes at WF.

Since most on here are State grads or Students, how do you feel when you hear something like that. And what is the academic reputation of MSU outside of Mississippi. Pretty harsh words for a foreigner who only went to school one year here.

esplanade91
01-21-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't agree about our academics, but I don't disagree that it's so much better at WF. Sounds like a foreign punk though. This perception that you'll learn more or "better" at any university vs another is ridiculous though. You learn as much as you WANT to learn regardless of where it is or how much you pay. We all use the same textbooks. Most professors at every university your freshman year are crap.

It's a little different if you want to learn about civil engineering at JSU vs MSU... at that point it's just resources... but MSU has resources.

Kick rocks, bro.

Homedawg
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
MSU tennis has started and we're ranked in the top fifteen. Mostly foreign players. Was looking at the roster and saw one of the top players was no longer on the team. Romain Bogearts from Belgium. He was the top college freshman in the country last year and we would probably be top ten if he were still on team.
Turns out he transferred to Wake Forest.Found an interview he did last August about why he left State.

He said "I had a lot of great matches and I improved my game a lot, but the academics were not great. Here it's so much better. That's one of the reasons I came here ". He also talked about the facilities at WF. Remember this interview took place in August before he ever took classes at WF.

Since most on here are State grads or Students, how do you feel when you hear something like that. And what is the academic reputation of MSU outside of Mississippi. Pretty harsh words for a foreigner who only went to school one year here.

This is all bs. He wouldn't go to class here and was a total f up. Per had to let him go even though he was a talent. Bad bad bad for team chemistry.

Bothrops
01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
That's bullshit. If he was a freshman, then he only had general ed courses in his first two semesters. The same type of curriculum that's taught virtually everywhere in 4 year undergrad programs. I smell something.

ScottH
01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Great player. Bad team member.

In hindsight, Per's only mistake was he probably should have kicked him mid season.

Pedro is also at Wake playing # 5.

Wake is ranked 20ish. Hopefully we cross paths with them this year or next.

bully99
01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Can we not get American players.

esplanade91
01-21-2014, 11:27 PM
They suck. And that's kind of one of the perks of having a European coach.

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 11:47 PM
They suck. And that's kind of one of the perks of having a European coach.

This is what I don't understand about SEC basketball. The small sports have figured it out and are top tier programs in their respective sports. Why is basketball so reluctant to follow atleast a small part of these sports already proven formula? Just doesn't make sense.

esplanade91
01-22-2014, 12:56 AM
European players don't qualify and rarely pan out. They're better off going the pro route to the NBA and know that. I'd rather have a kid from SmalltowninMS, Mississippi than a guy with just as much of a shot at being good anyway.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
This is what I don't understand about SEC basketball. The small sports have figured it out and are top tier programs in their respective sports. Why is basketball so reluctant to follow atleast a small part of these sports already proven formula? Just doesn't make sense.

Tennis is a lot different from basketball. Foreign tennis players basically have different amateurism rules. They are more or less pro players. Basketball players are much more likely to have eligibility problems if they try to play college. Also, a lot of the best foreign basketball players would just as soon play pro in Europe (or wherever they are) as the NBA now scouts globally. The best tennis players also tend to go pro without college, but the depth in tennis abroad compared to the U.S. is so deep that you still end up with better options picking from the second tier abroad than first tier in the U.S.

Martianlander
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
USA men's tennis may be at an all time low. The USA doesn't have anyone ranked in the top ten. John Isner is the highest rated at number 13.

bully99
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe if they juice it up like the Williams sisters. Ain't no way those gals ain't on something. They have male bodies, just like Navritalova did coming from the eastern Europe and her Soviet puppets.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Maybe if they juice it up like the Williams sisters. Ain't no way those gals ain't on something. They have male bodies, just like Navritalova did coming from the eastern Europe and her Soviet puppets.

They don't look any different than WNBA players. They just happen to play a sport that doesn't draw a lot of the top athletes both because it's not particularly popular and because coming from an affluent background is so much more helpful for it.

bully99
01-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you'll believe it. If you don't think the Williams sisters aren't doping it's because you don't want to believe it.

smootness
01-22-2014, 12:22 PM
What makes you think they are doping?

Because Serena is big? Because it doesn't appear to be mostly muscle. And Venus is tiny. They're both a little man-ish but nothing to scrazy as to think they're doping.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you'll believe it. If you don't think the Williams sisters aren't doping it's because you don't want to believe it.

I don't really care one way or another, but Venus is long and bony and while Serena is certainly stout, there's nothing disproportionate about her body that obviously points to steroids or HGH use. I was just pointing out that they only look so freakish and manly because you're comparing them to tennis players. Compare them to college basketball players and do they really look that unnatural? Or college softball players (although maybe softball has the same doping culture as baseball?)