PDA

View Full Version : Manny! Diaz DC at La.Tech

bully99
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Big fall for him

coastdoglover
01-21-2014, 02:47 PM
I would take him back in a minute if Collins were to leave.

hells bells
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM

Lets see how the wifey likes Louisiana. Big fall for her too.

quickstrike2
01-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Sometimes the grass aint greener on the other side. Can't blame him for leaving State for Texas, you just better be ready to produce if you do.

RougeDawg
01-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Sometimes the grass aint greener on the other side. Can't blame him for leaving State for Texas, you just better be ready to produce if you do.

Based on reports, he was in a no win situation with the inmates running the asylum in Austin.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

special teams coach ?

engie
01-21-2014, 03:06 PM

I would have at the time. But not now. Given what we've learned in hindsight about just how talented that 2010 defense was, he didn't overachieve at all like we thought he did. If anything, he mildly underachieved.

Collins is just so much more well-rounded than Diaz was. And now that we have proven that we are willing to pay -- I'd rather not go back there.

Jack Lambert
01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Based on reports, he was in a no win situation with the inmates running the asylum in Austin.

It's hard to turn down 700K a year. One thing to remember and every coach knows it, there are two type of coaches, the one that got fired and the one that's going to be fired. That's what you have to deal with if you are going to be a coach. Many different jobs and cities.

Homedawg
01-21-2014, 03:07 PM

Ah, she ain't gonna like it. I can assure u!

codeDawg
01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
I would hesitate to judge based on the UT situation. What goes down at LaTech should tell the story. He had a lot of success up until things went to shit in Austin. Poor guy has to prove himself all over again.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 03:13 PM
delete

quickstrike2
01-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Your probably right. That's how it is though, you have to know going in that if you don't get it corrected that the head coach of a major program is going to blame you before himself.

MafiaDawg
01-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Holtz doesn't need to go 4-8 again either. They will need to produce. We are slated to have them at Davis Wade in 2015.

TrapGame
01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't think Manny is a bad DC. He was in a bad situation at Texas. I'm sure he's looking to vindicate himself at La Tech.

NCDawg
01-21-2014, 03:46 PM
It's hard to turn down 700K a year. One thing to remember and every coach knows it, there are two type of coaches, the one that got fired and the one that's going to be fired. That's what you have to deal with if you are going to be a coach. Many different jobs and cities.

Unless you are Bear Bryant or Nick Saban.

NCDawg
01-21-2014, 03:47 PM

Ditto.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Saban was well on his way to getting fired from Miami #gotoutjustintime

basedog
01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
LaTech, wanna be Ole Miss, Ruston wannbe more than a one town grocery store!

Jack Lambert
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
LaTech, wanna be Ole Miss, Ruston wannbe more than a one town grocery store!

Until Ely wins four superbowls ole miss don't have shit on LaTech.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
ha - well done Jack ...... still protecting your QB I see

preachermatt83
01-21-2014, 04:43 PM

you and me both

HereComesTheSpiral
01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A0jH5C8CcAElU-X.jpg:large

smootness
01-21-2014, 06:46 PM

...and the top cable show in the country.

Todd4State
01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
I thought Manny did a pretty good job with us- even if it was just giving our defense some swagger and confidence that it lacked under Torbush. I like Collins better though.

I think Manny got caught in the grass is greener trap and went to a program with a coach that was clearly on the downward slope of his tenure- so I'm not too surprised that he has gotten burned. I bet he'll do pretty good at La Tech and will probably salvage his career. Plus, it will make our game with them in a couple of year a little more interesting.

RougeDawg
01-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Had he stayed at State he'd be making close to that with some pretty good job security. Collins is sitting pretty now, until he gets a HC offer.

NorthMsDawg
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Ruston smells like ass.

Air of The Dawg
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM

ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh......That Was Sweet, Jack

Todd4State
01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh......That Was Sweet, Jack

I used to play softball with a guy that played against Bradshaw in high school. All he said about him was "yeah- he was pretty good".

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Had he stayed at State he'd be making close to that with some pretty good job security. Collins is sitting pretty now, until he gets a HC offer.

I think he'd be on the hot seat already. Outside of the Auburn game, Chris Wilson looked like a pretty good coordinator his first year (at least considering it was his first coordinator gig). We just had a lot more talent than anyone realized when Manny was here. I think as our talent level regressed, he'd have been exposed as a so-so coach. While we would have been better off in the short term if he had stayed, I think we're better off now because he left (at least ignoring what might have been different in recruiting).

quickstrike2
01-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I think he'd be on the hot seat already. Outside of the Auburn game, Chris Wilson looked like a pretty good coordinator his first year (at least considering it was his first coordinator gig). We just had a lot more talent than anyone realized when Manny was here. I think as our talent level regressed, he'd have been exposed as a so-so coach. While we would have been better off in the short term if he had stayed, I think we're better off now because he left (at least ignoring what might have been different in recruiting).

I agree with something like this. Manny moved up the ranks very quickly. He spent 4 years DC at Middle Tenn, who is usually a good mid major type team. Then he comes here, where we have some good talent on defense and have a great year as a team. Then he gets the Texas offer, and it just didnt work out there. I think he rode the hot wave and it caught up with him. Now he has to restart basically, i do hope he does well at La Tech.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
i do hope he does well at La Tech.

I don't particularly care one way or the other, but I think he'll do fine. I doubt he was as bad as he looked at Texas just like he wasn't as good as he looked at MSU. He still did well at MTSU, so I expect he'll do fine at La Tech also.

I think Manny Diaz did exactly what he should do. He got the opportunity to get basically a half-mil a year raise to go to Texas. He should have made $1.4M over two years at UT, and I'm sure he was smart enough that a lot of that was banked. I think he's proven to be good enough that he'll pretty much always be able to make low six figures as a coordinator at a small school or a position coach at a big school, even if he never rebuilds his reputation to the point that he can move up again.