PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Stadium Location

bulldogcountry1
01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I've always been on the side renovating the existing stadium because it seemed like it would make the most sense for what we could expect to build. But, the more this thing picks up steam, the more I feel like we could really end up with something special. If that's the case, then it makes more sense to look elsewhere to build the new one. Dad always told me "If you are going to do something, do it right".

DNF is almost completly hidden right now due to all the other buildings around it. I think a new stadium would deserve a more prominent place. I say look no further than the current soccer field area.

1. It would be highly visible.
2. All existing parking lots could still be used.
3. Still close to the Palmeiro center and baseball offices.
4. The soccer field could effectively swap places and utilize the expensive turf drainage system.
5. No construction interruptions with baseball. Soccer would be put out, but they would have options locally.

Todd4State
01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
That location is also conveniently located within walking distance of the Cotton District. That's a good thing.

bulldogcountry1
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
6. It also provides more justification for leveling the Hunter Henry Center.

hailmari
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
I like this idea. That could, in turn, lead to a better flow of the district into campus eventually.

mjh94
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
[URL=http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/creativomjh/media/DNF_soccer_zpsde098cad.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s569/creativomjh/DNF_soccer_zpsde098cad.jpg

gtowndawg
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Seemingly anyway.

ckDOG
01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
That would be an outstanding location if we could make that happen.

State82
01-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. Might be a tight fit but could work. Looks like you would lose the parking lot south of the soccer field and maybe the one behind Macarthur but it would be a desirable location. Engie, take a look-see. BTW, Engie, you have got to be getting tired of rehashing the details/logistics of this undertaking time and time again on both boards. I saw where you had to do it AGAIN today on SPS. One of these days maybe everyone will get it, but I wouldn't count on it just yet. Keep it up though.

State82
01-21-2014, 02:27 PM
mjh94, can you rotate that overlay so the home-CF line is oriented northeast? As it is, batter will be facing northwesterly.

godlluB
01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
If you're going to relocate it, let's put it back to its 1949 location. Bonus, it would require tearing down Dorman.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/mississippi-state-athletics-history/2013/12/16/5194828/12-days-of-msu-history-for-christmas-day-10-1949-davis-wade-stadium

rabbitthedawg
01-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Seriously doubt the new baseball stadium could be in that location where Dorman now is. It just wouldn't fit the traffic flow. The location at the current soccer field looks great to me.

bgover4
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
yeah you really can't rotate the stadium just to make it fit, it's orientation pretty much has to stay the same due to sunset and shadows and such. Kinda like all football fields should run south to north, I think the third base line pretty much should follow a south to north line. I could be wrong but that seems to be the layout of most fields.

M.Fillmore
01-21-2014, 02:58 PM
6. It also provides more justification for leveling the Hunter Henry Center.

The Hunter Henry Center is indefensibly ugly. Tear it down.

bulldogcountry1
01-21-2014, 03:19 PM
yeah you really can't rotate the stadium just to make it fit, it's orientation pretty much has to stay the same due to sunset and shadows and such. Kinda like all football fields should run south to north, I think the third base line pretty much should follow a south to north line. I could be wrong but that seems to be the layout of most fields.

Most are like that, but there are some that have the first base line running from north to south. TD Ameritrade is one of them. That would mean a 90 degree clockwise turn of the current layout, and it would put home plate in the NW corner, ideally.

mjh94
01-21-2014, 03:28 PM
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s569/creativomjh/DNF_soccer2_zps7cf9decf.jpg

engie
01-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Great idea. That's something I hadn't thought of -- but makes perfect sense and fits some of the tangible things Cohen wants(be close to the Palmeiro, coaches offices, etc)...

bgover4
01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I can see that now, but I would move it a bit further west and leave lots of room in the outfield. The could also rework the Current DNF into a new softball complex, and I believe you could do some nice things out where the current softball field is for soccer.

messageboardsuperhero
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Damn, that would be so cool- and it being close to the Cotton District and so highly visible would be a huge plus.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
What about Maddox Track and move that over by the old intramural fields?

bulldogcountry1
01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Here is Autozone park in that spot.http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l594/aphardy_2000/1957%20Bel%20Air/image.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/aphardy_2000/media/1957%20Bel%20Air/image.jpg.html)

ScottH
01-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Soccer would be put out.

Other than the coaches, players and players' parents, would anyone care?

They were 0-11 in the SEC last year.

engie
01-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I could see the SEC adding men's soccer as a sponsored sport in the near future with the SECNetwork forthcoming... It's been talked about a bit as is...

ScoobaDawg
01-22-2014, 01:12 AM
I could see the SEC adding men's soccer as a sponsored sport in the near future with the SECNetwork forthcoming... It's been talked about a bit as is...

I don't see it. Schools are dropping sports not adding. Plus you add men's soccer you have to add another women's sport... Gymnastics?

I really like the idea of moving dnf here though. That's a great idea and could be a great move to get it out of the hole in the ground where it is hidden

engie
01-22-2014, 01:35 AM
I don't see it. Schools are dropping sports not adding. Plus you add men's soccer you have to add another women's sport... Gymnastics?

I really like the idea of moving dnf here though. That's a great idea and could be a great move to get it out of the hole in the ground where it is hidden

The SEC isn't cutting sports -- and the "new money" in college football isn't even here yet and has to be spent somewhere. ADs are essentially nonprofits. You are also ignoring the potential implications a new "BCS" division of college football has on amateurism with the paying of players -- and thus possibly titleIX as well. The SEC wants men's soccer as a sport -- and I think we see it in the next decade. Popularity of the sport is still growing in the US. At some point, the conference will want into that game for SECNetwork programming.

SapperDawg
01-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I would also add that the old Agricultural and Biological Engineering building right across the street (where the water tower is) is vacant, the dept. having moved to main campus a few years ago. That old eyesore is ripe for tearing down, and would be a potential stadium location.

Political Hack
01-22-2014, 08:23 AM
it's pennies on the dollar to relocate the soccer field. shouldn't even be a speed up of a consideration should they consider this move.

To have the baseball field that close to the stadium and the junction would make SBW unreal. it would be an absolutely perfect venue. I'd hope they'd out home plate up against the HH Center though with center field pointing almost towards the hump. The LFL could stay in place in some fashion and there would be room for tailgating outside the gate in left field as well. that would turn into one hellacious scene and rival any baseball venue in the country.

MabenMaroon
01-22-2014, 08:50 AM

Women's Gymnastics, would not be a bad idea, although the SEC would be a hell of a place to try and start a new program. I think it is something like 12 out of the last 13 NC's are from the SEC.

Johnson85
01-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Women's bowling and shooting before gymnastics. I don't think gymnastics is crazy expensive because you can probably do it within existing buildings, but its' still a lot of equipment and somebody is going to be put out by their practices. We're at the point now where the balance between men and women's sports is so uneven, we need to focus solely on affordability for any new women's sports. I'm not sure the SEC should add any sports, if they really have football profits that can't be spent on existing sports, they should probably funnel that money back to the University, but soccer is probably the fourth most popular sport for men now, so it does seem like it should be a scholarship sport. But how many scholarships do most soccer teams have? With 11 positions on the field, seems like it could be a lot.

ETA: field hockey is another popular one. We'd pretty much have to go out of the southeast to get players (probably not much different than volleyball) but it's another sport without much equipment that can use existing facilities.