PDA

View Full Version : Report: MSU to hire special teams coach

The Croom Diaries
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Per Jeremy Fowler: https://twitter.com/JFowlerCBS/status/425678823934291969

He says "might" but I think we will. No harm in sending a feeler out to gauge reaction. This would be a good move and one I've been advocating for. Mullen can be QB coach.

deltadawg99
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Per Jeremy Fowler: https://twitter.com/JFowlerCBS/status/425678823934291969

He says "might" but I think we will. No harm in sending a feeler out to gauge reaction. This would be a good move and one I've been advocating for. Mullen can be QB coach.

Any clue about who we may try to hire as ST coach?

CadaverDawg
01-21-2014, 12:53 PM
The Kang?*

maroonmania
01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
It only makes sense. We don't really need 3 coaches for OL, TE and WRs. TE should either fall under the WR coach or a shared responsibility between the OL and WR coach. IMO, the TE coaching position should be converted into the ST coaching position.

deltadawg99
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
It only makes sense. We don't really need 3 coaches for OL, TE and WRs. TE should either fall under the WR coach or a shared responsibility between the OL and WR coach. IMO, the TE coaching position should be converted into the ST coaching position.

I agree. I think that's why a lot of schools have a TE/ST coach. Would be nice to move Sallach to his office gig and bring in somebody that is a special teams coach.

Todd4State
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I think a BIG reason why we haven't pulled off the signature win yet under Dan is because of special teams. The Texas A&M game is one example- we don't drop the snap on the punt in the end zone, and it's a different game. The only points we allowed in the Egg Bowl except for three were due to special teams, and then we had to go to OT because we missed a 30 yarder. And how much field position have we cost ourselves over the years because of poor kickoffs, poor coverage of kickoffs, or not fielding a punt correctly?

Engie put our special teams stats up on here a few days ago, and we were near the bottom of the NCAA in special teams- I think it was in the 120's, which is as bad or worse than any of Croom's offenses.

I feel like Dan can call the plays and coach QB's. I am happy with the play calling four out of Dan's five years including last year. Dan has a good track record with QB's. We could make Billy Gonzalez the OC and then hire a special teams coach to replace Les. I would much rather do that than have a QB coach. Because the way I'm reading that tweet, it makes it sound like Sallach would stay as TE coach, which is honestly fine with me. Almost every SEC team has a ST coach and even Mississippi Valley State has one.

Now, I wouldn't hire Jackie to coach ST though. I can't see him wanting to recruit and the fact that the NCAA hates him and we would be on potential repeat offender status would concern me.

Sacrifice
01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Pay raises and a special team coach...Mullen definitely reads ED with his morning coffee..

rabbitthedawg
01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
The Kang is the one for me...at least for a couple years.

smootness
01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Engie put our special teams stats up on here a few days ago, and we were near the bottom of the NCAA in special teams- I think it was in the 120's, which is as bad or worse than any of Croom's offenses.

To be fair, those were just the kicking stats.

But your ultimate point is a legitimate one.

quickstrike2
01-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I think a BIG reason why we haven't pulled off the signature win yet under Dan is because of special teams. The Texas A&M game is one example- we don't drop the snap on the punt in the end zone, and it's a different game. The only points we allowed in the Egg Bowl except for three were due to special teams, and then we had to go to OT because we missed a 30 yarder. And how much field position have we cost ourselves over the years because of poor kickoffs, poor coverage of kickoffs, or not fielding a punt correctly?

I feel like Dan can call the plays and coach QB's. I am happy with the play calling four out of Dan's five years including last year. Dan has a good track record with QB's. We could make Billy Gonzalez the OC and then hire a special teams coach to replace Les. I would much rather do that than have a QB coach. Because the way I'm reading that tweet, it makes it sound like Sallach would stay as TE coach, which is honestly fine with me. Almost every SEC team has a ST coach and even Mississippi Valley State has one.

Now, I wouldn't hire Jackie to coach ST though. I can't see him wanting to recruit and the fact that the NCAA hates him and we would be on potential repeat offender status would concern me.

I agree. It would be cool to have Jackie back at State, but it wouldn't be realistic i don't think.

thunderclap
01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
I with Todd (and everybody else). Just think if ST helped us win games instead of helping us to lose them. Makes a huge difference.

The Croom Diaries
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Just finished this piece about the special teams. It has all the ST stats during Mullen's tenure.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/01/21/will-mullen-use-open-spot-coaching-staff/

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
saving him for Bracky's job

bulldawg28
01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
saving him for Bracky's job

Wouldn't that be grand?

DownwardDawg
01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Just finished this piece about the special teams. It has all the ST stats during Mullen's tenure.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/01/21/will-mullen-use-open-spot-coaching-staff/

Good write up and I enjoyed the stats but as a bulldog club member and fan I didn't need those stats to tell anyone our ST are garbage. Worst I've seen in possibly my lifetime. Give Dak this defense plus solid Special Teams and we could compete for the SEC.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
The Kang is the one for me...at least for a couple years.

It may be worth it just to see the Bears come completely unhinged.

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Maybe this means Mullen can't decide between Chris Leak and Brian Johnson so he's making room for both.

Political Hack
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Pay raises and a special team coach...Mullen definitely reads ED with his morning coffee..

I think some of the vocal folks on here are also vocal with those close to the program. Consistent messages may be paying off???

PendingTransaction
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
One last time....Hevesy to OC/OL. He called way more plays than Les. He's gonna get a ride on the Dak Train.

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I think some of the vocal folks on here are also vocal with those close to the program. Consistent messages may be paying off???

Can they be vocal with Rick Ray too?