PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Strong laying down the law on UT program..

RougeDawg
01-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Will be interesting to see how well this works out with the current roster, being that it is full of 4-5 star players who've been catered to throughout high school and coddled by Mack. Provides some insight into the downfall of Mack and why Texas has been so bad, even with top 10 recruiting classes every year.
Eerily similar to another program that garners a lot of top recruits.

Could end up hurting them short term with attrition. Wonder how long Texas will give CS to right the ship, especially if a lot of players leave the program.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1926568-new-texas-head-coach-charlie-strong-sends-players-list-of-expectations

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 11:17 AM
I don't think he works out there. Sure, he's no nonsense and I admire what he's trying to do, but I don't think it works at Texas. He says he doesn't have time for a rebuild, well that's exactly what he's trying to do. This process takes a few years. If he wants to win now, he better figure out how to motivate what he's got, not how to piss them off.

If Texas wanted to win immediately, they needed a Houston Nutt/Pete Carroll type rah rah guy.

Thick
01-21-2014, 11:30 AM
He said in a recent interview that he believes in pushing players to see who are willing to fight through it, fight it, or just bitch and complain about the process. Sounds a little like Cohen. He doesn't want pussies, he wants young men that, regardless of the situation, will push themselves and not quit. If he runs some off, so what, there are 5 more highly regarded kids to fill that position.

To be successful when replacing a coach that was falling a sleep at the wheel, you have to put your stamp on the program. I think that's what he's doing, and it's the right direction to take.

smootness
01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
He'll do well. The last thing Texas needed was someone who was going to come in and continue with business as usual.

They may lose a guy here or there, but Texas' issue is not that they have a bunch of thugs who need to be kicked off the roster; it's that their feet haven't been held to the fire.

The things he's requiring them to do are not crazy. All their players can do them fairly easily if they want to. And they'll keep recruiting well, so I don't see it as a huge rebuild. They'll get most of their players to buy in, will keep bringing in talent, and should continue to have success.

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
As long as he's given 3 years before he's expected to be in the playoff, I agree. But one season of 7-5 and the Texas folks will be screaming. Red Garrett already is and he hasn't coached a single game yet.

And I agree about the players, it should be easier for him to kick bad seeds to the curb, seeing how the next 5 star will be right behind him.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
4. No drugs, stealing, or guns.

Just the fact he had to include that makes me wonder just what that locker room was like.

FISHDAWG
01-21-2014, 11:38 AM
As long as he's given 3 years before he's expected to be in the playoff, I agree. But one season of 7-5 and the Texas folks will be screaming. Red Garrett already is and he hasn't coached a single game yet.

And I agree about the players, it should be easier for him to kick bad seeds to the curb, seeing how the next 5 star will be right behind him.

the eyes of Texas are upon him ... all the live long day

RougeDawg
01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
He said in a recent interview that he believes in pushing players to see who are willing to fight through it, fight it, or just bitch and complain about the process. Sounds a little like Cohen. He doesn't want pussies, he wants young men that, regardless of the situation, will push themselves and not quit. If he runs some off, so what, there are 5 more highly regarded kids to fill that position.

To be successful when replacing a coach that was falling a sleep at the wheel, you have to put your stamp on the program. I think that's what he's doing, and it's the right direction to take.

No one is saying it's the incorrect approach for a program. Just saying that this may not fit the current roster of catered to and coddled UT players.

smootness
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM

I should edit my original post somewhat. I think he'll do well there, so long as he's given enough time. I don't think it'll take more than a couple of years max, but yes, their stupid boosters could become restless by then, and then all bets are off. If they don't give him time, then that's on them.

SheltonChoked
01-21-2014, 11:47 AM
This is exactly what Texas needs. This next year will be the toughest. Most of the recruits will not be his, and he'll have to mold them like he is the team. But the reality is, even if he runs off 1/3 rd the team he will still have more talent than most of the teams he plays (OU excepted). The players that buy in will be 5*'s that are now working hard. Next year after a full recruiting cycle, he'll be in good shape. Texas gets its pick of players in Texas.

3 things that make UT one of the top jobs in the country
Money
Recruiting base
Ease of getting to The Playoff

quickstrike2
01-21-2014, 11:51 AM
It will all be about how much time they give him to be a top 5 or so team. Talent is not an issue with Texas, they will get that an then some more. However, with the players there now, not all of them are going to adapt to these changes as well as others. Most of them didn't go to Texas to live in dorms and go to class. State went thru this with Cohen and the Polk players. Once he does get the mentality changed there, he will be fine and will win.

Bothrops
01-21-2014, 12:07 PM
This will weed out the pussies and there's a lot of them at Texas. If he holds true to this, their on-field performance will improve immediately.

Bo Darville
01-21-2014, 12:17 PM
I know I'm an old straight-laced dude, but I find myself shaking my head that these guys have to be told some of those rules. Go to class every day, no earrings, no drugs, no stealing, no guns, no headphones in class, no milking minor injuries. I would almost laugh if a coach gave me those rules.

desotodawg
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Strong has the same point in his Louisville expectations. He just knows the culture these kids come from.

Thick
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
No one is saying it's the incorrect approach for a program. Just saying that this may not fit the current roster of catered to and coddled UT players.

Did I direct my post toward anyone? I'm pretty sure that I did not, but I guess some comprehend differently.

NCDawg
01-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I know I'm an old straight-laced dude, but I find myself shaking my head that these guys have to be told some of those rules. Go to class every day, no earrings, no drugs, no stealing, no guns, no headphones in class, no milking minor injuries. I would almost laugh if a coach gave me those rules.

Sounds like you and me both came from a different time and a different place. Obviously, today is very much different. In view of the current environment, I find no fault with Strong's approach and I'll bet he will be successful there.

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I like this guy. Too bad he's at Texas. I hate Texas.

TXDawg
01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Just the fact he had to include that makes me wonder just what that locker room was like.

Didn't Mullen have a similar note with a similar rule during his first season at State? I think I remember seeing it posted on one of the meeting room walls during the ESPNU All Access show. Could be wrong, though.

drunkernhelldawg
01-21-2014, 02:24 PM

You ever work with a big group of 17-25 year old men?

Let me add that I think he'll do great at Texas. Some will leave the program, but most will just try harder.