PDA

View Full Version : Overtime has been good to the Dogs this athletic year...

maroonmania
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM
2-0 in football and 2-0 so far in basketball. In fact, in basketball all year we have been very good to do the things needed to win close games. I think Ray's coaching and game managing abilities really show up in crunch time.

TheRef
01-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Agreed. We may have ourselves another set of heart-attack kids this year though. We seem to like to be in close games. The new fouling techniques are working right into our gameplan of driving the lane and drawing the fouls. The only problem is that we can't hit an outside shot to save our lives and we can't hit FT. I think if we improve on those two things, we're going to be an even more dangerous team. RR is doing well considering we only have 8 scholly players on the roster.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Agreed. We may have ourselves another set of heart-attack kids this year though. We seem to like to be in close games. The new fouling techniques are working right into our gameplan of driving the lane and drawing the fouls. The only problem is that we can't hit an outside shot to save our lives and we can't hit FT. I think if we improve on those two things, we're going to be an even more dangerous team. RR is doing well considering we only have 8 scholly players on the roster.

What is it about this team that precludes them from hitting FT's? I am probably wrong but the last time I was not nervous about this team at the stripe with the game on the line Daryl Wilson was rocking the 0 jersey. I was hoping against hope that when Stans was shown the door that the new coach would be able to improve on that. So far that has not been the case.

TheRef
01-21-2014, 11:08 AM
What is it about this team that precludes them from hitting FT's? I am probably wrong but the last time I was not nervous about this team at the stripe with the game on the line Daryl Wilson was rocking the 0 jersey. I was hoping against hope that when Stans was shown the door that the new coach would be able to improve on that. So far that has not been the case.

FT is all mental and straight up technique. I don't know what it is about this team but Chicken seems to be the only one that can hit FT halfway consistently. Gameplan-wise Ray has done a fairly nice job, with the exception of a couple of games.

maroonmania
01-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Free Throws are just one of the fundamentals seemingly being lost in college basketball as a whole (though we appear to be even worse than most). Other fundamentals going extinct are boxing out on rebounds and ability to consistently hit an open mid-range jump shot.

War Machine Dawg
01-21-2014, 12:37 PM
FT is all mental and straight up technique. I don't know what it is about this team but Chicken seems to be the only one that can hit FT halfway consistently. Gameplan-wise Ray has done a fairly nice job, with the exception of a couple of games.

Borchert is shooting something like 83% from the stripe. He's far and away our best FT shooter.

maroonmania
01-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Borchert is shooting something like 83% from the stripe. He's far and away our best FT shooter.

Yep, Borchert was up around 90% but has fallen off lately. Actually, IJ Ready hasn't missed a FT all year but he's only taken like 8 or 9 for the year.

CJDAWG85
01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
We started the game last Saturday 7-17 at the stripe, but finished 13-15.