PDA

View Full Version : Near misses

bully99
01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Since it's come out today that Richard Sherman was a MSU recruit .Was at the 2005 eggbowl and Swindoll had an interview he did where Sherman said he narrowed his schools to Stanford and MSU, I was wondering how many near misses we've had over the years.
Football, Sherman, Scam Newton, Ndomkong Suh.
Baseball, Ben McDonald, Gregg Olson
Anybody else.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Basketball: Monta Ellis, Jonathan Bender, Travis Outlaw, Qyntel Woods.

SheltonChoked
01-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Keshawn Johnson signed with us out of hs. Was in the same class as Moulds. Ended up at juco and got a USC offer.

Rick Danko
01-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Baseball: John Grisham's son... Don't know if he was good or not, but damn why didn't we give that kid a jersey

Quaoarsking
01-20-2014, 06:46 PM
LaMichael James was down to us and Oregon

Bothrops
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Well Jerry Rice was born in Starkville, so...

Rick Danko
01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Don't know if accurate or not but I was always told Major Applewhite was going to sign with us but found out Wayne Madkin signed a few hours earlier so he backed off and went to Texas.

Homedawg
01-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Keshawn Johnson signed with us out of hs. Was in the same class as Moulds. Ended up at juco and got a USC offer.

This^ met Keyshawn at a house in Starkville the year he signed. Crazy if u think about it.

Todd4State
01-20-2014, 07:18 PM
This^ met Keyshawn at a house in Starkville the year he signed. Crazy if u think about it.

What's crazier is thinking about Moulds and Keyshawn catching passes from Steve McNair.

nsvltndog
01-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Add Othella Harrington (Final 2 were Georgetown and MSU) and Chris Jackson (Final 2 were LSU and MSU) to the hoops list. I always found it amusing that Othella chose Georgetown and got to sit at home and watch us play in the Final 4 in 1996.

Denny Crum used to pluck talent out of Mississippi on a regular basis on some of his elite teams. Kenny Payne is one of several. I'm not sure how many of them were down to MSU and Louisville, but think Payne was.

I think our good friend Andy Kennedy also fits this description. He chose NC State over MSU.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 07:37 PM
I think our good friend Andy Kennedy also fits this description. He chose NC State over MSU.

Kennedy chose UAB over us cause he got his ass kicked at the KA house

Jacksondevildog
01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Mama wanted Othella to "play for a black coach". True story.

Add Othella Harrington (Final 2 were Georgetown and MSU) and Chris Jackson (Final 2 were LSU and MSU) to the hoops list. I always found it amusing that Othella chose Georgetown and got to sit at home and watch us play in the Final 4 in 1996.

Denny Crum used to pluck talent out of Mississippi on a regular basis on some of his elite teams. Kenny Payne is one of several. I'm not sure how many of them were down to MSU and Louisville, but think Payne was.

nsvltndog
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I thought Kennedy transfered to UAB from NC State. Were we recruiting at both times?

bully99
01-20-2014, 07:46 PM
You're exactly right about Othella mamma. Said black coach only. Andy Kennedy was an ass wipe even back then. Went to NC State, then to uab.

Goat Holder
01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Ryan Perriwinkle.....who knows, maybe he steers clear of thuggery under da Croominator.

deltadawg99
01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Phillip Rivers was a huge miss. His dad played at MSU and wanted to come but we offered him as a Safety because we didn't think we needed a QB. He graduated high school early and the rest is history.

Goat Holder
01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
He's just another on a long, but distinguished list.

msstate7
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Phillip Rivers was a huge miss. His dad played at MSU and wanted to come but we offered him as a Safety because we didn't think we needed a QB. He graduated high school early and the rest is history.

You've got to be kidding me! The same time OM had their best qb we could've had one just as good. Wow...

Schultzy
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
We thought we had Hugh Greene from Natchez until Jackie brought Pitt to the Sugar Bowl to play UGA. He drove to Natchez while on the trip.

Greene deserved the Heisman over Rodgers from South Carolina. I think he got the most votes ever for a defensive player.

Schultzy
01-20-2014, 08:58 PM

NC State was the only D1 school to give him a shot at QB. Bama offered him as a LB as well.

bully99
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Hugh Green and Ray "Rooster" Jones did sign with State what was known in those days as an "SEC letter of intent" in December. But Jackie did his "magic" and got them to sign the NCAA letter in February. A lot of State people never forgave Jackie until he got to MSU. That's where Jackie's reputation began as a "rogue" recruiter.

Schultzy
01-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Jackie won the recruiting battle for Tony Dorsett over Joe Paterno a few years before when he was an assistant to Johnny Majors at Pitt as well.

Paterno got upset about that one and started saying bad things. Turns out tJackie had more integrity in his pinky finger than Joe Pa had in his entire 204 yr old body.

Saltydog
01-21-2014, 07:38 AM
is another miss.......Not sure if the DL was just committed or had actually signed but supposedly he was a stud.........Typical MSU luck.......I'm thinking this was around '01-'02 but not sure.......

Johnson85
01-21-2014, 09:11 AM
is another miss.......Not sure if the DL was just committed or had actually signed but supposedly he was a stud.........Typical MSU luck.......I'm thinking this was around '01-'02 but not sure.......

I think I remember a Texas DL getting shot in one of Crooms early classes (maybe even the one he inherited from Jackie).

Coach34
01-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I had a near miss at the The Club in West Point with a 5-star prospect out of Alabama. She would have been one of the best athletes I ever tackled

Bo Darville
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Paul Broussard. I think he had already signed. He was shot in a parking lot in a case of mistaken identity. The shooter meant to kill someone in particular, and evidently Broussard looked similar to the guy. The shooter admitted he simply shot the wrong person.

Saltydog
01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2001/03/07/broussard_obit_ap/index.html

deltadawg99
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I would put Maudrecus humphrey in this category just because we would likely get his brother as well