PDA

View Full Version : Braves

FISHDAWG
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
in other news Kimbrel has elected to go to arbitration ... asking for over 9 million - braves offered some where around 6 million ....... is Freddie Freeman next ?

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
I just have a hard time paying a pitcher that much money. Even ones as good as him. They're one bad curve away from blowing out an arm and spending the rest of the season on the DL but still getting that huge check.

Political Hack
01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Mitch Moreland to the Braves. Let's go!!!!

dawgs
01-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I just have a hard time paying a pitcher that much money. Even ones as good as him. They're one bad curve away from blowing out an arm and spending the rest of the season on the DL but still getting that huge check.

I would have a problem paying closers that kinda money, but Kimbrel might be the 1 guy worth it. But for quality SPs, good luck fielding a good staff without paying for it. And if you did manage, you'd be like the A's and rays and trading away all your studs you develop and hoping you keep hitting the jackpot in the draft and in these deals for minor league arms.

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I would have a problem paying closers that kinda money, but Kimbrel might be the 1 guy worth it. But for quality SPs, good luck fielding a good staff without paying for it. And if you did manage, you'd be like the A's and rays and trading away all your studs you develop and hoping you keep hitting the jackpot in the draft and in these deals for minor league arms.

Good point. I guess I still have a hard time swallowing that they are getting paid that much money at all. I don't begrudge them the money one bit. I just can't believe the game evolved to where a guy can walk in and demand that kind of money and be taken seriously. More power to them the fact that they can. Only negative to those kinds of salaries is the fact that tickets are so freaking expensive that the average fan with a family of four is going to drop some major coin to go to a game and a lot of fans can't do that. Decent seats to the Braves games can be well over $50. I just looked and their season ticket plan in the best seating is over $70 a ticket and it said that was a 19% savings from the gate so that means a single game ticket in that area is $83 a pop. By the time you throw in gas, motel, food, tickets, souvenirs, etc. a weekend at the ballpark could easily run you $1,000.

BoomBoom
01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Good point. I guess I still have a hard time swallowing that they are getting paid that much money at all. I don't begrudge them the money one bit. I just can't believe the game evolved to where a guy can walk in and demand that kind of money and be taken seriously. More power to them the fact that they can. Only negative to those kinds of salaries is the fact that tickets are so freaking expensive that the average fan with a family of four is going to drop some major coin to go to a game and a lot of fans can't do that. Decent seats to the Braves games can be well over $50. I just looked and their season ticket plan in the best seating is over $70 a ticket and it said that was a 19% savings from the gate so that means a single game ticket in that area is $83 a pop. By the time you throw in gas, motel, food, tickets, souvenirs, etc. a weekend at the ballpark could easily run you $1,000.

Outfield seats all the way up are way cheaper than $50. Just dont get those for a summer day game.

smootness
01-20-2014, 04:03 PM
They'll still be on the team next year, but it isn't a good sign.

BTW, Freeman and Heyward have already been announced as also going through arbitration. Not great.

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Outfield seats all the way up are way cheaper than $50. Just dont get those for a summer day game.

Never sat there. I've been in lower level in the outfield right down the RF line. Would have had a shot at a HR ball but it hit the net on the pole. Sat in other sections too. Favorite was probably the club level behind the baselines. Love the view from there.

BoomBoom
01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Never sat there. I've been in lower level in the outfield right down the RF line. Would have had a shot at a HR ball but it hit the net on the pole. Sat in other sections too. Favorite was probably the club level behind the baselines. Love the view from there.

I meant all the way forward, in the lowest level. I didnt make that clear. I think they're about $20 there. Club level is nice too, I sat up there when it was the Lexus level for a game that went past 1am. Moths invaded at one point. I dont know if it was the lights being on that late after a rain, or them being conditioned to expect an empty stadium at that time, but it was Hitchcockian.

Will James
01-20-2014, 04:26 PM
He's worth 9M, especially if used like a true relief ace

bully99
01-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Just a matter of time before he breaks down like most closers.

Whoopee, Mitch Moreland DH for the Braves. Or a left handed third baseman

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 04:36 PM
$9 mill is totally worth it for a top 3 closer in MLB. $225 million for Kershaw I wouldn't do.

BoomBoom
01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
He's worth 9M, especially if used like a true relief ace

yeah, but it's a reminder that at some point Atlanta just won't be able to afford him, so he'll wind up a Yankee or Dodger. depressing. makes me feel like an A's fan.

msstate7
01-20-2014, 07:22 PM
yeah, but it's a reminder that at some point Atlanta just won't be able to afford him, so he'll wind up a Yankee or Dodger. depressing. makes me feel like an A's fan.

Maybe we should beg ted turner to buy back the braves...

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Maybe we should beg ted turner to buy back the braves...

Braves need to a better TV deal. Lots of people in the South watch the Braves. The Braves should be closer to the Dodgers payroll than the A's imo.

Fred Garvin
01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Braves need to a better TV deal. Lots of people in the South watch the Braves. The Braves should be closer to the Dodgers payroll than the A's imo.

Income of avg Dodger fan >> Income of avg Braves fan

War Machine Dawg
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM

This is a BIG issue. Kicking ourselves off TBS was the ultimate dumbass move. You could go anywhere in the nation and always be able to watch the Braves. It made us one of the few teams with a truly national fan presence. Now we're a mid-market regional team with a shitty TV deal.

I hate Ted Turner, but I miss the hell out of his money. I wish Arthur Blank had bought the team a few years. There was talk that he was extremely interested. Dude could have put some serious money behind the Braves aGAIN. The new ownership is better than Time Warner, though. They sucked ass.

War Machine Dawg
01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Income of avg Dodger fan >> Income of avg Braves fan

Not by the time you factor in California taxes and cost of living. Even if they do have a bunch of celebrity fans.

dawgs
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM

For all but a handful of games all season, you'll be about to find decent seats (towards the corners or lower part of the upper deck behind home plate) for way way less than $50/ticket on stubhub. When I was in DC for the nats playoff season, I went to tons of games and never paid more than $40 and those were great seats. Only tix I've ever paid more than that for were Fenway and wrigley. And if I had been willing to sit in worse seat I could have gotten in both those games for $40 or so.

dawgs
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Braves need to act like the bigger market team they are. There's plenty of operating room between the braves currently payroll and getting into dodgers/yanks territory.