PDA

View Full Version : Bama QB Del Rio transfers to Oregon State

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Saban loses another QB.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10315991/luke-del-rio-leaves-alabama-crimson-tide-oregon-state-beavers

engie
01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
That's been in the works for awhile...

They are getting Winston's backup at FSU as their likely starter next year -- although I'm not quite sure how they will circumvent the Masoli Rule -- unless it's just selectively applied to Bama per the norm...

Esmerelda Villalobos
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
They need somebody.
Sims is awful.

Raytoraid83
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
That's been in the works for awhile...

They are getting Winston's backup at FSU as their likely starter next year -- although I'm not quite sure how they will circumvent the Masoli Rule -- unless it's just selectively applied to Bama per the norm...

Jacob Coker, played qb at same high school as AJ and has already gotten his degree from FSU which is why he won't have to sit out

HoopsDawg
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Jacob Coker, played qb at same high school as AJ and has already gotten his degree from FSU which is why he won't have to sit out

I thought the SEC put an end to that after Masoli.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Nobody understands this rule including myself. I still don't get why we couldn't have Jerekious Bradley in hoops whose avg 21.5 pts and 7.3 rbs for SEMO and listed as a junior. He'd make the bball team borderline NCAA this year. I think though that the real rule with Masoli is to stop the transferring of players that have been kicked off their previous team from playing in the SEC.

smootness
01-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Del Rio was a walk-on there, though. They brought in arguably the top QB in the country last year, Cooper Bateman.

If they bring in Coker, the battle will likely be between him and Bateman.

I agree their QB situation is interesting for this coming year because no one has any idea what Coker is, but they should still be fine long-term.

ETA: After looking around, I definitely don't know why Bama fans are not worried about QB next year, even if they get Coker. He certainly hasn't shown that he can just step in and be good.

He was a 3-star recruit that we recruited but I'm not even sure we offered. He threw 36 passes this year, completed 18 of them for 0 TDs and 1 INT. Obviously limited relief duty but it certainly doesn't encourage a lot of optimism. Why are Bama fans so convinced he will take over and be good enough?

smootness
01-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Nobody understands this rule including myself. I still don't get why we couldn't have Jerekious Bradley in hoops whose avg 21.5 pts and 7.3 rbs for SEMO and listed as a junior. He'd make the bball team borderline NCAA this year. I think though that the real rule with Masoli is to stop the transferring of players that have been kicked off their previous team from playing in the SEC.

Didn't we already discuss this before, and you ultimately accepted the explanation? Something about a kid having to be at his school for at least 3 semesters, and Bradley hadn't been?

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Didn't we already discuss this before, and you ultimately accepted the explanation? Something about a kid having to be at his school for at least 3 semesters, and Bradley hadn't been?

No nobody could come up with why he wasn't allowed in the SEC just that he wasn't allowed.

Saltydog
01-20-2014, 03:09 PM
nt

Dawgowar
01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
nt

Except he Del Rio was looking better than the others. - Assuming issue was Dad being USC knows all about Kiffin - wanted son to bail perhaps. After all, he has a Super Bowl to worry about now.

Todd4State
01-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Except he Del Rio was looking better than the others. - Assuming issue was Dad being USC knows all about Kiffin - wanted son to bail perhaps. After all, he has a Super Bowl to worry about now.

Jack Del Rio went to USC and so I am pretty sure he knows all the bad things about Kiffen.

Dawgowar
01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Jack Del Rio went to USC and so I am pretty sure he knows all the bad things about Kiffen.

Have a coworker with a nephew on Kiffin's USC team - there were fist fights on the charter jets with that crew. Zero control of those kids.

TUSK
01-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Bama has plenty of QB talent, albeit inexperienced. Tony Brown gettin busted for keepin it real is a much bigger deal.

The Kiffen hire is curious but I think it will work. He won't be allowed to be the douche he has been.

TUSK
01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Bama has plenty of QB talent, albeit inexperienced. Tony Brown gettin busted for keepin it real is a much bigger deal.

The Kiffen hire is curious but I think it will work. He won't be allowed to be the douche he has been.

TUSK
01-20-2014, 08:31 PM
All we need is a "game manager", no? Sims won't likely start but could win 10 games if he did.

Don't sleep on Cromwell, either.

BogeyGolfer
01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
All we need is a "game manager", no? Sims won't likely start but could win 10 games if he did.

I'm not so sure about that... I think Bama's D last year was suspect and on top if that you lost Mosley. After the A&M and the Colorado St games early in the year, I realized Bama wasn't the Bama of old. I think 10 wins next year would be optimistic. We all know that Bama has 5 star all over the field but I really think the West next year is up for grabs.

Todd4State
01-20-2014, 09:29 PM

If you're counting on a true freshman QB in the SEC, you will be losing a lot of sleep.

TUSK
01-20-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm not so sure about that... I think Bama's D last year was suspect and on top if that you lost Mosley. After the A&M and the Colorado St games early in the year, I realized Bama wasn't the Bama of old. I think 10 wins next year would be optimistic. We all know that Bama has 5 star all over the field but I really think the West next year is up for grabs.

Losing cj and haha is huge. Depriest will have to be the leader on D.

Bama should be heavy to solid favs vs: WV, FAU, USM, UF, @OM, @ARK, @UT, MSU, @ WCU... they will also be slight favs vs A&M, @Lsu, @AU...

With that schedule, 9-4 would be a huge disappointment. .. I'd like to see 11 minimum.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Early prediction I put Bama at 9-3 just because of your RBs and WRs. Not having a for sure QB is a huge problem for Bama right now imo. We'll see. DakAttack can most definitely beat Bama next year. We will have a bigger, stronger and more athletic starting 22 than Bama. The key will be the next 22 on the bench. Bama is showing some chinks in the armour.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
The reason Coker can transfer to Bama is bc he's graduated from FSU but he's only a rs soph. So he has 2 years of eligibility left instead of 1.

Todd4State
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Losing cj and haha is huge. Depriest will have to be the leader on D.

Bama should be heavy to solid favs vs: WV, FAU, USM, UF, @OM, @ARK, @UT, MSU, @ WCU... they will also be slight favs vs A&M, @Lsu, @AU...

With that schedule, 9-4 would be a huge disappointment. .. I'd like to see 11 minimum.

You have to play at Auburn again in 2014? Or was that a mistake?

TUSK
01-20-2014, 10:46 PM
You have to play at Auburn again in 2014? Or was that a mistake?

Mistake. It's at the Krystal Palace.

TUSK
01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
"We will have a bigger, stronger and more athletic starting 22 than Bama."

Huh?

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
"We will have a bigger, stronger and more athletic starting 22 than Bama."

Huh?

We will. List your 22 if you can and we'll compare. Height, weight etc.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2014, 12:30 AM

I don't agree with this, although I do think our defense will be good enough and Dak could be the difference maker.

Tusk, why would you consider Bama solid favorites over MSU and OM, but only slight favorites over Texas A&M? A&M should take a fairly large step back next year.

RougeDawg
01-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Del Rio's sister lives here in Nola. I know her and she's quite a bit of work. She's got the entire $5+ mil mansion to herself most of the year. Very high maintenance but she can be, she's pretty nice on the eyes.

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
If my numbers are correct Bama loses 9 of 22 starters. Both starting DBs, their leaders on D Haha and Mosley, AJ and 2 of their top WR. 9-3 looks way more likely than any NC aspirations next year imo. They don't have a QB right now.

smootness
01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
If my numbers are correct Bama loses 9 of 22 starters. Both starting DBs, their leaders on D Haha and Mosley, AJ and 2 of their top WR. 9-3 looks way more likely than any NC aspirations next year imo. They don't have a QB right now.

This doesn't have much to do with their size, strength, and athleticism. They'll replace their lost starters with some of the best athletes in college football...again.

TUSK
01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Sorry i didn't respond ... got tied up.

The OL will average 6-5/6-6 & ~320#.
LBs will all be 245 - 260 with excellent speed.
DL average will approach if not exceed 300#.

The skill positions on O are terrific.

Major questions for me are 1- can we field a serviceable QB? & 2- Develop some good CBs.?

TUSK
01-21-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't agree with this, although I do think our defense will be good enough and Dak could be the difference maker.

Tusk, why would you consider Bama solid favorites over MSU and OM, but only slight favorites over Texas A&M? A&M should take a fairly large step back next year.

You're right... a&m is in ttown as well.... they should be a big 'dog in that one.