PDA

View Full Version : 2 year deal for Collins

bully99
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Per Carskadon tweet

msstate7
01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Good deal. I don't think he's back after this upcoming season though. Our defense is gonna be the best in the sec and mr Collins will be a HC somewhere.

codeDawg
01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Can everyone stop crying now?

engie
01-20-2014, 12:59 PM
It's a big deal to give multi-year contracts to assistants. That job security can overcome underpaying to an extent.

Hope we are giving him what he's worth...

cbrunt29
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
What a relief. It'll be interesting how much it's gonna be worth.

Goat Holder
01-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Agreed. He's out the door next year no matter what, he'll be too valuable.

Political Hack
01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
multi-year contracts mean jack unless there's a decent buyout associated with it.

if we're smart we inserted a stupid high buyout for a DC spot and a low/no buyout for head coaching spot.

smootness
01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
multi-year contracts mean jack unless there's a decent buyout associated with it.

if we're smart we inserted a stupid high buyout for a DC spot and a low/no buyout for head coaching spot.

I just don't see any reason Collins would sign a contract with a huge buyout if he leaves for another DC spot. There would be no incentive for him to do so. He's the one with leverage because he's the one in demand that we don't want to lose, and we didn't pay him a huge salary so we have to increase it in order to keep him.

So it seems like he would just refuse to sign any deal with a huge buyout and know that we're still going to offer him a significant raise or he'll just take one of the other offers I'm sure he has.

engie
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I just don't see any reason Collins would sign a contract with a huge buyout if he leaves for another DC spot. There would be no incentive for him to do so. He's the one with leverage because he's the one in demand that we don't want to lose, and we didn't pay him a huge salary so we have to increase it in order to keep him.

So it seems like he would just refuse to sign any deal with a huge buyout and know that we're still going to offer him a significant raise or he'll just take one of the other offers I'm sure he has.

Agreed.

If we were going that route, we needed to do it before he coached the first game as an actual DC for us in ANTICIPATION of him being "who we thought he was" -- instead of lowballing him and making him prove it first, thus necessitating a brand new deal to be made at a point in time when he wields all of the power and leverage.

smootness
01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
The only reason a coordinator would ever sign a deal with a huge buyout is if you offer them a ton of money, much more than they are likely going to get anywhere else. For instance, if we said, Geoff, we want you as our DC for a long, long time. We're attaching a $2 million buyout to your contract for this reason, but we'll offer you $3 million/year for its length, then he might agree. But why would he sign it otherwise? 'We're going to pay you basically market value for you, and a number that is less than the major schools could offer, but for your benefit, we're also attaching a $2 million buyout that ensures you won't ever be a candidate for any of those jobs, so there's really no reason for us to up your pay anymore once you sign it. You in?

If you're going to attach a buyout, you either need to be paying the coach an insane amount (in which case they probably wouldn't want to leave anyway) or it needs to be an amount that someone else might reasonably pay to get you. It's why some head coaches have big buyouts but no coordinators do.

Political Hack
01-20-2014, 01:48 PM

and he could keep his same salary for one more year after FSU went in another direction. If he's only going to be here for one more year and bolt for another DC job, then there's no point in putting together a two year contract. it's just stupid and a waste of time from a negotiation stand point. If we can't tie him in for two years, you draw up a one year deal.

Political Hack
01-20-2014, 01:53 PM
The only reason a coordinator would ever sign a deal with a huge buyout is if you offer them a ton of money, much more than they are likely going to get anywhere else. For instance, if we said, Geoff, we want you as our DC for a long, long time. We're attaching a $2 million buyout to your contract for this reason, but we'll offer you $3 million/year for its length, then he might agree. But why would he sign it otherwise? 'We're going to pay you basically market value for you, and a number that is less than the major schools could offer, but for your benefit, we're also attaching a $2 million buyout that ensures you won't ever be a candidate for any of those jobs, so there's really no reason for us to up your pay anymore once you sign it. You in?

If you're going to attach a buyout, you either need to be paying the coach an insane amount (in which case they probably wouldn't want to leave anyway) or it needs to be an amount that someone else might reasonably pay to get you. It's why some head coaches have big buyouts but no coordinators do.

million dollar buyouts for coordinators is ridiculous. we're not Bama.

You make the buyout his salary and let whoever comes to steal him pay for our next DC. If FSU, Texas, Bama, or Florida wanted him as their top choice, you think they'd not hire him over a $500k one-time buyout?

Let's be honest here too... this contract wasn't going to stop him from going to FSU no matter what. It was done as soon as they passed on him. His career goal is to become a HC. If he thinks he can get that from MSU (and he will within the next two years with our defense), then that's the next step he'll take. Going to another school as a DC at this point is a waste of time for him. He's a breath away from be a HC candidate.

engie
01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
and he could keep his same salary for one more year after FSU went in another direction. If he's only going to be here for one more year and bolt for another DC job, then there's no point in putting together a two year contract. it's just stupid and a waste of time from a negotiation stand point. If we can't tie him in for two years, you draw up a one year deal.

Why not give him the extra year and security blanket? It's not really much additional risk to either of us... And it shows we're serious about trying to hold onto him for as long as we possibly can instead of simply conceding him to a "better" job on the front end.

CadaverDawg
01-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Is it a good idea to be saying "no way Collins will be here beyond next season..."? I mean, let's think about the time of year and how recruits are signing on to play for a particular coach many times. Besides, that's such a MState way of thinking...why not be happy we got the extension and raise, instead of jumping ahead to how soon he will leave? Just a thought. Carry on.

smootness
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Yes, I do think a $500,000 buyout may stop some teams from hiring him. He is a coordinator, and teams will be less likely to shell out money like that for a coordinator than for a HC. I'm guessing that with most coordinator hires, a school has a short list and will basically take anyone on the list, whereas for a HC they may be more likely to pinpoint one specific guy and do whatever it takes to get them. So anything to deter a school from hiring a coordinator, and an amount more than half of what a lot of them would pay yearly for a DC is certainly a deterrent, is likely to make them just move on to the next guy that they don't have to pay an additional $500,000 for.

And I don't see the issue with the 2-year contract. It may not have any real meaning, but there were plenty of people who wanted us to pay Collins more than we had to just to do it and to tell him we want him. This seems like a similar deal except it doesn't cost us more money. What's the harm?

Political Hack
01-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, I do think a $500,000 buyout may stop some teams from hiring him. He is a coordinator, and teams will be less likely to shell out money like that for a coordinator than for a HC. I'm guessing that with most coordinator hires, a school has a short list and will basically take anyone on the list, whereas for a HC they may be more likely to pinpoint one specific guy and do whatever it takes to get them. So anything to deter a school from hiring a coordinator, and an amount more than half of what a lot of them would pay yearly for a DC is certainly a deterrent, is likely to make them just move on to the next guy that they don't have to pay an additional $500,000 for.

And I don't see the issue with the 2-year contract. It may not have any real meaning, but there were plenty of people who wanted us to pay Collins more than we had to just to do it and to tell him we want him. This seems like a similar deal except it doesn't cost us more money. What's the harm?

the teams that would balk because of that are not teams he'd leave for regardless. A contract is about establishing commitment. If that's not the intent, then don't even have a contract. Year two means we'd being trying to keep him here for year two. I know most assistants don't have a buyout, but most assistants don't have multi-year contracts either. When you start structuring them that way, you have to include incentives to ensure the life of the contract.

smootness
01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Well, now we know why it's 2 years - the raise is already built in for next year, so we don't have to work that out next year. He already knows what he'll make in 2015 should he choose to stay.