PDA

View Full Version : So, at 12-5, does this team have a shot

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
At the NIT this year? I think they win at least 5 more to get to 17 wins. Is that enough in a weak SEC or is a weak conference and a low RPI going to be too much to overcome?

Coach34
01-19-2014, 11:46 PM
I think it takes 20 wins to get to the NIT- maybe 19 if we are lucky. Cant see it happening

drunkernhelldawg
01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
I agree that 19 would be a stretch, but I am very impressed by the overall team chemistry. Our eight guys are playing ball. A lot of players made excellent plays in the AM game. I especially thought that Ware and Bloodman have a lot of potential and are already playing pretty damn well. 19 is a stretch, but one game at a time.

SDDawg
01-20-2014, 12:06 AM
I think it's going to take 19 plus some noise in the SEC tournament, would love to see it but I think this group is going to come up a bit short this year. A sweep of A&M and OM could change my opinion though and I would be GLAD to be wrong.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 12:46 AM
It's possible but not probable. We have 1 top 100 win (OM). Right now we are 140 in RPI. That needs to climb 70 spots. Only way that's happening is for us to get atleast 2 wins vs UF, UK, Mizzou, Arky, UT and LSU and to be around 19-20 wins. We can not lose any games vs the bottom teams in the SEC either. The SEC sucks past the top 5 so it makes it difficult to get a high enough RPI. 68 in NCAA field and 32 in NIT. 100 teams make the two tournaments. It'd be cool I think if the NIT got included into the actual tourney somehow. Just wait an extra week and let the NIT play 2 rounds of games and let in the remaining 8 from the NIT. Make the numbers work somehow.

Dawg61
01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Thomas playing his best game in two months helped tremendously too.

tcdog70
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Thomas playing his best game in two months helped tremendously too.

Good point. If Fred can step up His game along with Borchert. I think we can maybe win 19 games and that will put us in the NIT. Fred can play some defense, that is where He can really help. Our ability to make free throws is the thing that needs to happen. Chicken can get to the line and He has to become a 70% free throw shooter .Ware has already started to make free throws.You only need 8 players once you get to SEC play. We have eight decent players. Cut down on turnovers, rebound better and make the 17ing free throws and we are there.

SheltonChoked
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
The issue with extending the Basketball Tournament is all about CBS and The Masters. CBS has the contract on both, and will not overlapp coverage. So until, the CBS contract is over, don't expect any expansion.

HailState39110
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
This team hasn't proven to be able to win on the road in the SEC . If we could steal a few road league wins and continue to win at home I would change my mind about playing in the postseason

Thrill1
01-20-2014, 09:34 PM
NIT, yes a longshot, would be monumental, like story of the year and would win Ray National COY.

We should realistically hope for the CBI and act like its the freaking Final Four.

msstate7
01-20-2014, 09:39 PM
NIT, yes a longshot, would be monumental, like story of the year and would win Ray National COY.

We should realistically hope for the CBI and act like its the freaking Final Four.

I'm at a loss when it comes to the CBI. Have any sec teams been in it?

smootness
01-20-2014, 09:39 PM

100% agree. The fact that we're 140 in the RPI, in and of itself, is freaking amazing.

MabenMaroon
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
If I am not mistaken, a NIT participant has to be .500 in conference play. That being said, It's doable!!!

esplanade91
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
RPI will be way too low.

smootness
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
RPI will be way too low.

This. The NIT is just not going to happen. It's no longer a 'be decent from a major conference and get in' tournament. But we can still make a case for some type of postseason tournament, though I think the odds aren't great.

msstate7
01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
If we wanna make it, then we need aTm, south Florida, FGCU, and OM to win along with us doing our part.

aTm could really help our rpi by upsetting Kentucky tonight

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 12:50 PM
No way in hell. This is a case where the RPI and SOS are showing accurate results. Our record is decent, but our team is not. To get in the NIT, we actually have to beat someone, and we aren't going to do that. Maybe our Ole Miss win looks good after the season, but outside that, no chance we beat anybody good. This isn't a slight on Ray, we all expected it. But we aren't good.

maroonmania
01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
No way in hell. This is a case where the RPI and SOS are showing accurate results. Our record is decent, but our team is not. To get in the NIT, we actually have to beat someone, and we aren't going to do that. Maybe our Ole Miss win looks good after the season, but outside that, no chance we beat anybody good. This isn't a slight on Ray, we all expected it. But we aren't good.

And we didn't schedule with the thought of making a post-season tournament. We scheduled with the thought of trying to let our players mature and learn how to win games. Next year I believe you will see our schedule take a definite step up in difficulty.

dickiedawg
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm at a loss when it comes to the CBI. Have any sec teams been in it?

No. It's a lot of mid-major types and a few BCS teams. The champions have been Santa Clara, Pittsburgh, Oregon, VCU, Oregon State and Tulsa.
I wonder if the SEC has discouraged teams from participating. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to playing it it if we don't make the NIT.

CJDAWG85
01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
With 14 games left, winning 5-6 would be good. That would put us 17-12 (7-11) or 18-11 (8-10) going into the SEC Tourney. Win 1 possibly 2 and for sure would be in some post season tourney.

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
My baseline contentment record is 16-15. Just inch over .500 for the regular season and I'll be content. I'll expect the NIT next season though.

Winning 4 more is going to be tough - @ Ole Miss, Florida, Kentucky, @ LSU, @ Mizzou and @ Georgia are automatic losses. All of the rest of the road games will be tough just because they are SEC road games. So that leaves Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee and South Carolina at home to get those 4 wins. Will be extremely challenging.