PDA

View Full Version : Grant Harris, Clinton DE on his MSU visit...

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
"It felt like home"

I haven't been a huge Grant Harris guy, but he is a solid player. You can never have too many big physical D-Linemen in this league either, and he's a Dandy Dozen. I guess we are holding out hope for Cory Thomas and Stallworth? Or have we already offered Harris?

mic
01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
he left without committing , if the offer is there for him he better take it.
It may already be off the table..

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Yea, that's why I asked. I figured if we had offered he would have jumped all over it. My gut says we haven't offered bc we are targeting the other guys I mentioned....But we will offer Harris if one of those two doesn't commit.

And I think Harris would understand that if Mullen told him that we have a small class, and still have a shot at landing 2 high level defensive linemen. But if even one of those guys doesn't commit, we would like to have him on board. May have even offered him a chance to grey shirt or something if it doesn't work out, who knows. I think Harris wants to be a Dawg though.

Todd4State
01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
My guess is that we would take him as a DE. I think we will flip Cory Thomas, but there's no guarantee of that happening. I doubt we flip Stallworth. And then there's Marcus Griffin from Washington state coming as well.

Our coaches also know that Harris is not going to announce his decision until NSD, so they will probably know (technically, I guess they always know first) before any of the recruiting web site reporters know.

I think we end up with Harris, Hoyett, Thomas, and Griffen as commits and then make Gerri Green an OLB.

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Harris has an offer from us, and I'm pretty sure he's gonna take it. He just got an offer from Louisville as well. So his 4 are us, Louisville, Miami, and Southern Miss. He probably told the coaches he's gonna commit but wants to visit the other schools to get the recruiting experience. I'm holding out for Thomas.... he's the DL prospect we need and hopefully Hoyett puts the bug in his ear next weekend.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
My guess is that we would take him as a DE. I think we will flip Cory Thomas, but there's no guarantee of that happening. I doubt we flip Stallworth. And then there's Marcus Griffin from Washington state coming as well.

Our coaches also know that Harris is not going to announce his decision until NSD, so they will probably know (technically, I guess they always know first) before any of the recruiting web site reporters know.

I think we end up with Harris, Hoyett, Thomas, and Griffen as commits and then make Gerri Green an OLB.

I could live with that. If we get Cory Thomas, this will end up being a damn good class IMO. Thomas, Hoyett, Harris on the line...Green at LB....Bryant, Durr in the secondary....Graham, Jackson at WR....Aeris, Lee at RB....Fitz and Elijah at QB...Hutch at TE...Rawlings, ?, at OL. We will have filled some great needs with really good players. The only place I want to see us improve is at OL recruiting. Hevesy has done ok developing the lower rated guys...but I'd like to see us bring in some bigger names.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Harris has an offer from us, and I'm pretty sure he's gonna take it. He just got an offer from Louisville as well. So his 4 are us, Louisville, Miami, and Southern Miss. He probably told the coaches he's gonna commit but wants to visit the other schools to get the recruiting experience. I'm holding out for Thomas.... he's the DL prospect we need and hopefully Hoyett puts the bug in his ear next weekend.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize Harris was being looked at by Louisville and the U. Hoyett, Harris, Thomas would be a solid D-Line class.

ScottH
01-19-2014, 02:15 PM

Yup.

Somebody on 247 posted almost the exact same thing. Coaches now his intentions but gonna take the trip to the U.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Question....

Why is Gerri Green listed as a "soft verbal"'on Scout? And what do you guys think about Rayford? Do you see him as a diamond in the rough type, or more of a depth guy?

deltadawg99
01-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Question....

Why is Gerri Green listed as a "soft verbal"'on Scout? And what do you guys think about Rayford? Do you see him as a diamond in the rough type, or more of a depth guy?

Because he has an official visit scheduled to another school.

Nothing to worry about with Gerri.

CadaverDawg
01-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Because he has an official visit scheduled to another school.

Nothing to worry about with Gerri.

Ok. Thanks. Where is he visiting?

Big4Dawg
01-19-2014, 02:26 PM
http://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Harris-30045

Don't forget Harris.

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Question....

"Soft Verbal" just means he has other visits set up. And Rayford is fast as hell and aggressive.... I see him putting on more size in college as well. He could easily be a 6'2" 220lb safety that runs a 4.4 forty by his junior year. He's a definite diamond in the rough prospect that got lost in the shuffle because he went to a small school.

BeastMan
01-19-2014, 02:28 PM

It's there until NSD. We are fine with Harris

ETA- I'm pretty sure we'd take Harris, Stallworth, Thomas, & the Auburn guy who visited this weekend should he flip. Not likely we land them all but we'd take them all. We need DL badly in this class.

hailmari
01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
I've seen Rayford play twice.. He was far and away the fastest guy on the field each time. He has good field awareness and tackles well. Neither of the teams I saw him play against could throw the ball so I couldn't judge his covering too much. Smart kid too, fwiw.

Todd4State
01-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Ok. Thanks. Where is he visiting?

I think Auburn.

But as far as the soft verbal policy by scout- it's dumb.

Jacksondevildog
01-19-2014, 02:51 PM
We please sticky this at the top of the message board every January?
"Soft Verbal" just means he has other visits set up. And Rayford is fast as hell and aggressive.... I see him putting on more size in college as well. He could easily be a 6'2" 220lb safety that runs a 4.4 forty by his junior year. He's a definite diamond in the rough prospect that got lost in the shuffle because he went to a small school.

Todd4State
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
It's there until NSD. We are fine with Harris

ETA- I'm pretty sure we'd take Harris, Stallworth, Thomas, & the Auburn guy who visited this weekend should he flip. Not likely we land them all but we'd take them all. We need DL badly in this class.

It's a shame that one of our recruiting guru reporters- Rosebowl- in this case- is stirring the pot with his dumbass "Harris needs to take an offer or MSU is moving on" stance.

And the reason he is doing that (my guess here) is because he probably doesn't like Harris's measureables or something. I wish he would quit trying to play Mel Kiper and realize that Dan and his staff have a hell of a lot better track record than him at evaluating players and he should just simply report the news.

Or better yet- go back to dry walling or whatever he did before he became a recruiting guru.

Bothrops
01-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know anything about this Marcus Griffin kid from Washington? I see he's visited Berkeley, CA this wknd and Sonny Dykes. That program is pretty down and out, and I see he is scheduled to visit us on the 31st. He's ranked pretty high.

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know anything about this Marcus Griffin kid from Washington? I see he's visited Berkeley, CA this wknd and Sonny Dykes. That program is pretty down and out, and I see he is scheduled to visit us on the 31st. He's ranked pretty high.

We have a great shot with Griffin as well. Graham and Green were in his ear a lot at the Semper Fi high school all star game. But being from Bellevue, WA which neighbors Redmond (home of Microsoft).... you'd think the school system there is top notch. Meaning, this kid might be looking for education first. And Cal might be more of a savory option for him. Just speculating of course

BeastMan
01-19-2014, 03:34 PM
It's a shame that one of our recruiting guru reporters- Rosebowl- in this case- is stirring the pot with his dumbass "Harris needs to take an offer or MSU is moving on" stance.

And the reason he is doing that (my guess here) is because he probably doesn't like Harris's measureables or something. I wish he would quit trying to play Mel Kiper and realize that Dan and his staff have a hell of a lot better track record than him at evaluating players and he should just simply report the news.

Or better yet- go back to dry walling or whatever he did before he became a recruiting guru.

My opinion on the matter is that he wants to take visits. That's fine. A lot of times the staff knows what we don't. I think they know where we stand with Harris. If Harris was to wait until NSD, there is a Doomzday scenario for him (great for us) that could land him at USM. That would include Thomas, Stallworth, AND Lawerence flipping plus the Griffin kid from Washington picking us. Although we are in it with all those kids, I see maybe a 2% chance all that happens and that's being generous. Funny thing is that Harris has better numbers than all them but less stars. I just don't see a likely scenario that we don't end up with Harris. Kinda reminds me of AJ Jefferson's recruitment. All out site guys saying we wouldn't take him but you don't turn away an in-state talent like that.

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 03:41 PM
I honestly think the issue with Harris is, we want him to play defensive tackle while he's set on playing DE. My opinion is, if Chris Jones can move inside for the sake of the team so can you Grant Harris!

Todd4State
01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
My opinion on the matter is that he wants to take visits. That's fine. A lot of times the staff knows what we don't. I think they know where we stand with Harris. If Harris was to wait until NSD, there is a Doomzday scenario for him (great for us) that could land him at USM. That would include Thomas, Stallworth, AND Lawerence flipping plus the Griffin kid from Washington picking us. Although we are in it with all those kids, I see maybe a 2% chance all that happens and that's being generous. Funny thing is that Harris has better numbers than all them but less stars. I just don't see a likely scenario that we don't end up with Harris. Kinda reminds me of AJ Jefferson's recruitment. All out site guys saying we wouldn't take him but you don't turn away an in-state talent like that.

Yeah- I remember sevendust proclaiming that AJ Jefferson couldn't stop the run. I was like- well, he is a pass rusher.