PDA

View Full Version : Stands missing on O'Bryant was huge

Coach34
01-18-2014, 09:59 PM
he is a damn good player and he plays hard. He is ripped too. Ray could do wonders with him

BeardoMSU
01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
I remember Stans being asked why we didn't push harder for him, and his response was that we already had several post players (e.g., Sid and Bailey) and we didn't need another (or something to that effect). Pretty stupid.

Coach34
01-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Thats bullshit. He was a 5-star player and the best frontcourt player to come out of Mississippi in awhile. Stands just got beat there.

Remember that the next time people talk about Ray and how he cant sign Webster's kid- but tell you Stands would have cause he signed all the Miss top players

coastdoglover
01-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Ole Miss promised the moon to O' Bryant and then LSU came in and raised the anti. It pissed the rebs off almost as much as the Whitehead flip to Auburn in football. You folks just can't leave poor ole Rick alone and he has been gone 2 years. Better count our blessings that he committed Thomas, Sword, Ware, and signed Roquez or this team would be bad. Just enjoy the win today and move on, Ray has his chance now and lets see if he can recruit to get us back to the upper half of the SEC.

I remember Stans being asked why we didn't push harder for him, and his response was that we already had several post players (e.g., Sid and Bailey) and we didn't need another (or something to that effect). Pretty stupid.

Dawg61
01-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Stands was always a moron with his bench or anyone he didn't think would immediately crack the top 8. If you were 9-13 on the team Stands treated you like a lepar. JOB3 has gotten in much better shape. Doubt Stands nonS&C program would have the same results. JOB3 made the right choice.

BeastMan
01-18-2014, 10:29 PM
I like that post a lot cld

Dawg61
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Ole Miss promised the moon to O' Bryant and then LSU came in and raised the anti. It pissed the rebs off almost as much as the Whitehead flip to Auburn in football. You folks just can't leave poor ole Rick alone and he has been gone 2 years. Better count our blessings that he committed Thomas, Sword, Ware, and signed Roquez or this team would be bad. Just enjoy the win today and move on, Ray has his chance now and lets see if he can recruit to get us back to the upper half of the SEC.

Stansbury was the HC for 14 years. That means we get 14 years to bitch about him. It's in the rules.

smootness
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
These threads totally and completely suck. Can both sides please let it go and just get behind the team and coach we have right now without starting these pissing matches?

Coach34
01-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Ole Miss promised the moon to O' Bryant and then LSU came in and raised the anti. It pissed the rebs off almost as much as the Whitehead flip to Auburn in football. .

I have no doubts that this is 100% correct. You have been in the trenches. I'm just pointing out that we were not much of a factor in a recruiting battle over one of the best frontcourt basketball recruits in Mississippi of the last 10-15 years

ScottH
01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I remember watching him at Rumble in the South a few years ago against Kemper.

Hadn't seen him before. Came away wishing we had signed him.

If I recall correctly, he had 20 and Devonta had 30.

Dawg61
01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
These threads totally and completely suck. Can both sides please let it go and just get behind the team and coach we have right now without starting these pissing matches?

No. We've been talking Stansbury since we started posting online. There's a level of entertainment amongst the Stansbury talk you don't see/get I guess. It's kinda like "Germans" or idiosyncrasies that occur on here and SPS. Stansbury bitching is and will always be a part of MSU culture. Quit being uptight about it and join in on the fun. I promise there's plenty of fun here to go around.

TheDogFather
01-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Stansbury was the HC for 14 years. That means we get 14 years to bitch about him. It's in the rules.

If Stansbury sucked so bad why does it have to be repeated so often? Is everyone such a moronic judge of coaching capability that we just missed it?

I guess if we hear it for fourteen years we'll finally believe it.

YazooDawg23
01-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Coach you most of the time provide good insight but when it comes to basketball your agenda gets in the way. A glaring example is you wrongfully accusing Robert Kirby of being pushed out of LSU because he failed to land Pollard. Who happens to be the most overrated player in MS in awhile. Kirby moved back to memphis for a big pay raise and to take care of his 12 brothers and sisters, one of which needed a kidney which he donated.

Dawg61
01-18-2014, 11:05 PM
If we had more than 2 coaches in the last 16 years of hoops we'd talk about them too. Again, Stansbury is an idiosyncrasy that is never going away.

TopDog58
01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Stains sucked. Get over it. But those West banners sure are purty!!!!

Acid mouth
01-18-2014, 11:25 PM
I just don't get the Stans bashing anymore. He's 2 years removed. I'm beginning to think that he slept with some of your wives and maybe even fathered a child or 2. Did yall attended any games while he was the coach? The atmosphere in the Hump is pathetic compared to when he was the coach. As a state fan, I'm 100% behind Ray but give the bashing a break. He didn't have a shot at OBryant, Adams followed Kirby to Georgetown, and we temporarily got Hood. I can't recall more talent coming out of our state than that year but at least Stans landed Hood. It remains to be seen if Ray can even get in the door with recruiting these type of players, but you don't see me (Stans fan) bashing him. Give it a break.

Coach34
01-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Coach you most of the time provide good insight but when it comes to basketball your agenda gets in the way. A glaring example is you wrongfully accusing Robert Kirby of being pushed out of LSU because he failed to land Pollard. Who happens to be the most overrated player in MS in awhile. Kirby moved back to memphis for a big pay raise and to take care of his 12 brothers and sisters, one of which needed a kidney which he donated.

He could t donate a kidney from Baton Rouge?
He couldn't help take care of family from Baton Rouge?
Are you seriously trying to tell me Memphis payed him more than LSU?

Some of you guys will believe anything

Dawg61
01-18-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm no wizard but maybe it's cause you have 4 posts?

Acid mouth
01-18-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm no wizard but maybe it's cause you have 4 posts?
You should try to use your post count as a pickup line a bar. Think about how cool you would sound!

whosyourdawgy
01-18-2014, 11:58 PM
I don't even remember us having a snow balls chance in Hell with O'Bryant. He was going to go to either LSU or That School and LSU was always the heavy favorite. I don't think Coach K could've gotten him to MSU

YazooDawg23
01-19-2014, 12:24 AM
Well I had the opportunity to work at the Johnny Jones' LSU basketball camp this past summer and every single coach was there and I was able to develop some good relationships with those guys. Coach Leanord and and Johnny Jones are class acts. Being a life long State fan I brought up Coach K. They all get choked up talking about the man and hated that he had to leave but it just made since with his sick sister and family. Not to mention that he got a pay raise and he is a Memphis native. Those are first hand facts. Not some made up story to promote an agenda. It's just silly and juvenile to try and tear someone down to sound like an insider. I don't claim to be an insider or a hype man for Kirb buy you are plain wrong on Coach Kirby and it would be the mature thing for you to admit it but no one here is holding there breath. Hail State

Dawg61
01-19-2014, 12:26 AM
You should try to use your post count as a pickup line a bar. Think about how cool you would sound!

Look man I'm glad to have you on this board. I'm just saying bitching about the minimal Stansbury posts on this board is like a soldier bitching about someone farting during WW2. Stansbury bashing has been going on for 10 ****ing years before C34 up and built this wonderful board. The last 10 years was the entire WW2 of Stansbury bashing while you're bitching about the fart at the beach of Omaha.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 12:28 AM
So you're telling me Memphis, a school that has 1/2 the athletic budget of LSU, is paying asst basketball coaches more than LSU? I'll make sure I check that out. It's good that those things can be fact checked these days because they are published.

YazooDawg23
01-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Ok good luck with your Googling. Funny how you like to change the argument to who has a higher athletic budget between LSU and Memphis and are ignoring the fact that you made up a story about Coach Kirby being pushed out of LSU because he didn't land Pollard. Any intelligent person can see right through you bud

Coach34
01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Look man I'm glad to have you on this board. I'm just saying bitching about the minimal Stansbury posts on this board is like a soldier bitching about someone farting during WW2. Stansbury bashing has been going on for 10 ****ing years before C34 up and built this wonderful board. The last 10 years was the entire WW2 of Stansbury bashing while you're bitching about the fart at the beach of Omaha.

I can summarize State coaches for the last 30 years in a few words:

1. Bob Boyd- top asst Richard Williams...both hated recruiting but pretty good coaches- lots of losses
2. Richard Williams- top asst John Brady- recruited enough talent to win an SEC title
3. Richard Williams- with assts Rick Stansbury and Robert Kirby- good coach with 2 recruiters as assts- recruited a Final Four team
4. Rick Stansbury- Robert Kirby, Phil Cunningham- good recruiters- average at best coaching- solid years from 2000-2005
5. Rick Stansbury- Phil Cunningham and no Kirby= program falling apart
6. Rick Ray- Wes Flanigan- coached very well...can they recruit? Jury still out

Coach34
01-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Ok good luck with your Googling. Funny how you like to change the argument to who has a higher athletic budget between LSU and Memphis and are ignoring the fact that you made up a story about Coach Kirby being pushed out of LSU because he didn't land Pollard. Any intelligent person can see right through you bud

Nooooo, you said he left for a payday at Memphis- it's in your post....I'm going to show that this is in all likelihood a falsehood.

drunkernhelldawg
01-19-2014, 12:46 AM

ouch

YazooDawg23
01-19-2014, 12:49 AM
He did get a raise but I'd say that probably would be behind his ailing sister and being there for his 12 brothers and sisters on reasons he took the job. Oh and while your at it check and compare the salaries for Memphis basketball coaches and LSU basketball coaches and tell me what you find. Memphis is a basketball school and would spare no expense to get a guy they want.

Five-tool Poster
01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
Surely it could have nothing to do with the fact that he left to return to his hometown to his family to become an assistant at a more prestigious basketball school. No, not landing a player from Cleveland seems far more likely.

Dawg61
01-19-2014, 01:01 AM
Memphis is a basketball school and would spare no expense to get a guy they want.

Then why do they keep Pastner? They hate that guy.

Five-tool Poster
01-19-2014, 01:07 AM
So you're telling me Memphis, a school that has 1/2 the athletic budget of LSU, is paying asst basketball coaches more than LSU? I'll make sure I check that out. It's good that those things can be fact checked these days because they are published.

Memphis, a school that has 1/2 the athletic budget of LSU, is paying Pastner over double what Jones is getting paid at LSU.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Memphis, a school that has 1/2 the athletic budget of LSU, is paying Pastner over double what Jones is getting paid at LSU.

Pastner and Trent Johnson made about the same salary in 2012..Jones hasnt earned the payday yet

Dawg61
01-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Jones $1.1mm, Pastner $1.7mm with incentives to get upto $2.1mm and it runs through 2018-19. Basically just under double but Jones is still in his initial contract. Rick Ray makes $100,000 less per year than Jones.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Trent Johnson made 1.6 or so in 2012

TheDogFather
01-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Stains sucked. Get over it. But those West banners sure are purty!!!!

Give it a damn rest.

You are going to be reminiscing about those banners in a couple of years.

HailState39110
01-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I have no doubts that this is 100% correct. You have been in the trenches. I'm just pointing out that we were not much of a factor in a recruiting battle over one of the best frontcourt basketball recruits in Mississippi of the last 10-15 years

Yes from what I remember we were never really in it for OBryant. He was going to Ole miss for a little while then LSU closed the deal when Trent Johnson started to feel some heat about losing his job . LSU brought in some talent Johnson's last year

grinnindawg
01-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Pastner and Trent Johnson made about the same salary in 2012..Jones hasnt earned the payday yet

Memphis will pay for bball coaches.
$500,000k means something to me. Maybe not if I was pulling 1.2M, but I think I'd still notice.
I think I saw in the Commercial Appeal over Christmas Pastner is making more than $2M.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TigerBlue/archives/2013/03/27/josh-pastner-gets-contract-extension
MARCH 27, 2013
Pastner just completed the second year of a five year contract that was paying him $1.7 million annually through the 2015-16 season.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/trading-lsu-tcu-trent-johnson-leaves-better-job-150124412.html
April 9, 2012 11:01 AM
$1.2 million base salary Johnson made at LSU

dawgs
01-19-2014, 10:44 AM
I just don't get the Stans bashing anymore. He's 2 years removed. I'm beginning to think that he slept with some of your wives and maybe even fathered a child or 2. Did yall attended any games while he was the coach? The atmosphere in the Hump is pathetic compared to when he was the coach. As a state fan, I'm 100% behind Ray but give the bashing a break. He didn't have a shot at OBryant, Adams followed Kirby to Georgetown, and we temporarily got Hood. I can't recall more talent coming out of our state than that year but at least Stans landed Hood. It remains to be seen if Ray can even get in the door with recruiting these type of players, but you don't see me (Stans fan) bashing him. Give it a break.

The atmosphere in the early 00s was great, but the last 6 or so years of Stans' tenure, the atmosphere wasn't all that different from now.

tcdog70
01-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Smoot, I'm going to try and do what you say. I'm jumping on with You

tcdog70
01-19-2014, 10:59 AM

Ha, where have you been? Great post. 34 is probably the worst basketball poster on this board. He will spin shit and change his argument in a heartbeat. His dislike of Stansbury ruins his creditably. Now He has to bash Kirby, who was a great asst Coach.

Bully13
01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Ha, where have you been? Great post. 34 is probably the worst basketball poster on this board. He will spin shit and change his argument in a heartbeat. His dislike of Stansbury ruins his creditably. Now He has to bash Kirby, who was a great asst Coach.

I want even take time googling Memphis b'ball coaching salaries vs LSU'S. I'd bet big money all the memphis coaches make more than lsu's. and of course kirby would have indeed gotten a raise leaving lsu for memphis. oh and btw, whomever it was, please don't refer to kirby as "coach K"...that's just jacked up

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
O'Bryant really would've been a nice get for the team, but we've never recruited the delta well at all. I think Tyrone Washington is the only guy who comes to mind that we've gotten from that area for basketball.

Stans may have gotten the players.... but everyone is more upset with what he did after he got the players. With the right coaching and DISCIPLINE, State could have been a Kentucky like program. But he choked on the actual coaching aspect in his career. I'm all for the bashing because the teams Stans coached were poorly executed.... especially late in the games. Ray has these kids in shape and hungry to win. Stans never had the control and comradery that Ray possesses, and that is why we bash him.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 11:45 AM

I'm not bashing Robert Kirby in any way. I've always said good things about him. I've said numerous times him leaving our program hurt alot with the discipline side

TheDogFather
01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
The atmosphere in the early 00s was great, but the last 6 or so years of Stans' tenure, the atmosphere wasn't all that different from now.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. I was at all of those games.

Another sorry attempt to smear Stansbury with exaggeration.

defiantdog
01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
I want even take time googling Memphis b'ball coaching salaries vs LSU'S. I'd bet big money all the memphis coaches make more than lsu's. and of course kirby would have indeed gotten a raise leaving lsu for memphis. oh and btw, whomever it was, please don't refer to kirby as "coach K"...that's just jacked up

Josh Pastner of Memphis makes $1.69 million while Johnny Jones of LSU is making $1.1 million. Kirby was making $240,000 a year at LSU and is now making $304,500 at Memphis.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Memphis will pay for bball coaches.
$500,000k means something to me. Maybe not if I was pulling 1.2M, but I think I'd still notice.
I think I saw in the Commercial Appeal over Christmas Pastner is making more than $2M.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TigerBlue/archives/2013/03/27/josh-pastner-gets-contract-extension
MARCH 27, 2013
Pastner just completed the second year of a five year contract that was paying him $1.7 million annually through the 2015-16 season.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/trading-lsu-tcu-trent-johnson-leaves-better-job-150124412.html
April 9, 2012 11:01 AM
$1.2 million base salary Johnson made at LSU

For the record, here is one saying Trent Johnson made 1.51MM after his 2nd season at LSU

http://college-basketball-coaches.findthedata.org/

TopDog58
01-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Nice to have you on the board, Meo. Do you and Rick have West championship banner sheets and comforter?

mcdawg
01-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Agreed. I was at the A&M game this past week (and OM game) - the atmosphere now is terrible. Maybe 3500 fans - thank goodness they give away free pizza to get some students to the game. I was happy that we won (with less talent and just did what it took to win), but the games are just not enjoyable. The talent level is just not good, so the game is not enjoyable to watch - almost boring. The most talent and fun was at halftime watching the "Kings of the Court" (Grizzlies dunking team).

grinnindawg
01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
For the record, here is one saying Trent Johnson made 1.51MM after his 2nd season at LSU

http://college-basketball-coaches.findthedata.org/

That's nice. Did it include incentives and outside income?
My guess is it does. The article I linked was base pay.
I have little doubt Memphis' coach makes far more off the court than LSU's.

For the record, here's one saying Pastner is making 2.14M to 2.57M a year in base pay.
" ....Memphis for seven more years through the 2019-2020 season. He will also be paid a base salary between $15 million to $18 million"
http://www.localmemphis.com/news/local/story/Memphis-Tigers-Head-Coach-Josh-Pastners-New-Deal/d/story/pqulPgzKdEmnv8dEuR5KtA

Why on the day after we beat the #1 team in the SEC are you spending energy worrying about what could have been?
Did Stansbury upset you personally in some way?
I'm glad our team is playing hard defense and finding a way to win at home. Hope it continues.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Why on the day after we beat the #1 team in the SEC are you spending energy worrying about what could have been?
Did Stansbury upset you personally in some way?
I'm glad our team is playing hard defense and finding a way to win at home. Hope it continues.

Hello, My name is Coach34. I've been messing with State fans about Stands for 10 years now

chef dixon
01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Disagree on O'Bryant. Nice player but not a program changer. I mean just look how great LSU has been since he's gotten there....

No doubt we could use him given our current roster, but he's no more better than Gavin Ware with a year more experience.

grinnindawg
01-19-2014, 05:36 PM
ok.

you've built a website that is excellent for discussion of things msu.
"messing with" a portion of your audience (for lack of a better term) detracts from the excellence.

10 years ago we were in the middle of a 4 year in a row NCAA run.

Political Hack
01-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Stans got way more than he lost in MS. Time will tell on Ray, but he's looking like a hell of a floor coach which is a huge plus. Right now Stans looks like the superior recruiter and Ray looks like the superior floor coach. We can all argue until we're blue in the face, but it's irrelevant.

TheDogFather
01-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Nice to have you on the board, Meo. Do you and Rick have West championship banner sheets and comforter?

This post is more ignorant than even the point you are defending.

What you should do is go eat the supper mommy cooked you, think about things for a bit and come back more prepared to discuss this with the adults.

Coach34
01-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Stans got way more than he lost in MS. Time will tell on Ray, but he's looking like a hell of a floor coach which is a huge plus. Right now Stans looks like the superior recruiter and Ray looks like the superior floor coach.

I agree with that

drunkernhelldawg
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM

wow. Sleepwalking?

TheDogFather
01-20-2014, 08:14 AM
If we had more than 2 coaches in the last 16 years of hoops we'd talk about them too. Again, Stansbury is an idiosyncrasy that is never going away.

Yeah, I get it, and don't mind discussing Stansbury at all - positive and negative. It's just the comments are always centered on the derogatory and it gets tiring. I realize this is a debate I will not win, but the MSU fanbase should cut Stansbury some slack.

For example, the comment about the atmosphere being terrible for Stansbury's last six years - that is the type of comment that has become commonplace even in its stupidity. It's not only an insult to Stansbury's contribution to MSU athletics, which is substantial, but it is an insult to all of the reasonable posters on this site. The atmosphere in Stansbury's LAST year was better than this year - I was at all of those games. It's bordering on the "Blame It on Bush" mentality.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Of course not. Because our fans suck.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Hello, My name is Coach34. I've been messing with State fans about Stands for 10 years now

Like I said, our fans suck.

C222
01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Of course not. Because our fans suck.

You're such a great fan though!! How pissed are you that we won Saturday?

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 09:49 AM
For example, the comment about the atmosphere being terrible for Stansbury's last six years - that is the type of comment that has become commonplace even in its stupidity. It's not only an insult to Stansbury's contribution to MSU athletics, which is substantial, but it is an insult to all of the reasonable posters on this site. The atmosphere in Stansbury's LAST year was better than this year - I was at all of those games. It's bordering on the "Blame It on Bush" mentality.

You have to keep in mind the mental age and capacity of the poster. Some folks are doing the best with what they have.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
You're such a great fan though!! How pissed are you that we won Saturday?

I loved every minute of it. How many times did you stab your Stansbury voodoo doll during the game?

engie
01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Oh look -- it's MadDawg bitching about bitching.

C222
01-20-2014, 10:31 AM
I loved every minute of it. How many times did you stab your Stansbury voodoo doll during the game?

I like Stans. I actually know his family. I'm just in the camp that thought it was time to make a change.

coastdoglover
01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Truer words have never been spoken, but we have a mentality that would rather bitch than give credit. Ray has a better opportunity than any other MSU coach has ever had. A state of the art practice facility and that is entirely because of the Mize family and Stans and Wesley Reed raising the money. I truly hope Ray can bring us back to the top of the league but until he shows me he can recruit, I will wait before I adorn him as a great SEC coach. Hack's post probably said it best, but in either event, some of you idiots need to get off the agenda you have and blaming Stans at every instance is just idiotic. and that is how this thread started. Some folks just can't let it go.

Yeah, I get it, and don't mind discussing Stansbury at all - positive and negative. It's just the comments are always centered on the derogatory and it gets tiring. I realize this is a debate I will not win, but the MSU fanbase should cut Stansbury some slack.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Oh look -- it's MadDawg bitching about bitching.

Oh look, it's engie bitching about MadDawg bitching about bitching.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
I like Stans. I actually know his family. I'm just in the camp that thought it was time to make a change.

One day, all State fans will be on the same page again. But as long as we have posters like C34 who get their jollies from pissing off other MSU fans, and you have folks like me who take their trolling bait, I guess it will still be a while. Not sure that I understand the mentalty there, though. I love pissing off the fans of our rivals, but not so much pissing off fans of my own team.

Coach34
01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Stands gets all the credit in the world for the practice facility. His years of consistency help make that happen.

engie
01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Oh look, it's engie bitching about MadDawg bitching about bitching.

Yet, unlike you, I manage to actually bring something to the board. I don't spend 90% of my posts bitching about a current coach and taking up for a past one.

MadDawg
01-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Yet, unlike you, I manage to actually bring something to the board. I don't spend 90% of my posts bitching about a current coach and taking up for a past one.

Close, engie. Lately my posts may indeed be 90% in one area, but your description is not accurate. I don't bitch about the current coach. I do, however, take exception to the moronic posts of those intent to keep taking shots at our former coach 2 years later.

And even after the instigator admits he's just trolling to piss of MSU fans, you still defend it. I guess in your eyes, that's "bringing something to the board."

Coach34
01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
And even after the instigator admits he's just trolling to piss of MSU fans, you still defend it. I guess in your eyes, that's "bringing something to the board."

Some trolling, some seriousness.

Stands was a good recruiter and built a solid network for Bulldog basketball. He did something Williams couldnt- make State basketball consistent. His faults were that he wasnt a good enough disciplinarian which led to his eventual undoing and that he didnt get enough help from his assts (not sure if that was their incompetence or by his design to handle it all himself).

The Stands crew needs to chill out and quit being so butthurt over all this. It's time for you to move on and support what we got- a guy that can coach.

grinnindawg
01-20-2014, 05:05 PM

Stands was a good recruiter and built a solid network for Bulldog basketball. He did something Williams couldnt- make State basketball consistent. His faults were that he wasnt a good enough disciplinarian which led to his eventual undoing and that he didnt get enough help from his assts (not sure if that was their incompetence or by his design to handle it all himself).

The Stands crew needs to chill out and quit being so butthurt over all this. It's time for you to move on and support what we got- a guy that can coach.

Thread title you started;
Stands missing on O'Bryant was huge

Irony. I agree, it's past time to move on.

If this team can get 1 consistent shooter and learn to box out, they'll be hard to handle down the stretch.

coastdoglover
01-20-2014, 05:53 PM
That is a fair deal but how about quit stirring the pot with flames about the former coach? so far you have been unable to do for 2 years after he is gone.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-20-2014, 11:32 PM
The reason we missed on O'Bryant was that we didn't take his two AAU teammates Andre Stringer and Jalen Courtney. Ultimately the program leader of the Jackson Tigers pushed O'Bryant to LSU. If State had taken Jalen Courtney O'Bryant was ours. However we didn't and the rest is history. O'Bryant was never headed to Ole Miss. He wasn't going to LSU till they decided to take two of his teammates. Not taking Courtney is what haunted State, solid kid but below average SEC player.

CadaverDawg
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Gotta agree with Geez and MadDawg on this one. Stansbury helped turn our program into a consistent winner. Yes, the end was bad, and it was time...but Stansbury will always be a guy I appreciate and applaud. Unlike some, I'm able to see the great times through the dumpster fire tail end.

This thread was a total pot stirring, throw Stans under the bus for the 9.7 billionth time, can't let go of a topic that starts arguments, thread. It was time for Stans to go, we get it...but he was still one of our best coaches ever in any sport at this school. And I can drink to that and tip my cap to him, even if it ended in an unfortunate way.

And I sure as hell won't be trying to come up with reasons to bash one of our best ever, just for the sake of doing it. Seems childish and pointless at this point in time. You wanna support Ray...then quit bringing up his predecessor and let him build his own legacy, good or bad.

Coach34
01-21-2014, 12:23 AM
actually, you're wrong. This thread was no "potshot" at Stands.

Missing on O'Bryant was huge. That's a fact. Just like Mullen missing on some of the WR targets he has been after or a hitting prospect Cohen missed on. Stands can still be talked about- he's not dead and decisions he made 2 years ago still affect the program- both good and bad.

I was simply watching Johnny O play wished like hell we had that SOB

Dawg61
01-21-2014, 12:40 AM
I'd love to have Stringer and JOB3. With those two added to this team we'd be an NCAA bubble team.

Johnson85
01-21-2014, 09:23 AM
O'Bryant really would've been a nice get for the team, but we've never recruited the delta well at all. I think Tyrone Washington is the only guy who comes to mind that we've gotten from that area for basketball.

Stans may have gotten the players.... but everyone is more upset with what he did after he got the players. With the right coaching and DISCIPLINE, State could have been a Kentucky like program. But he choked on the actual coaching aspect in his career. I'm all for the bashing because the teams Stans coached were poorly executed.... especially late in the games. Ray has these kids in shape and hungry to win. Stans never had the control and comradery that Ray possesses, and that is why we bash him.

I actually heard it was counseling against playing for Stansbury and that we were never in it with O'Bryant and there was nothing that could have been done for us to get in with him. Not sure how credible that is, but it was the story going around at the time.

Also, we got Ravern Johnson from Clarksdale. Maybe other teams backed off because of his character, but he was fairly highly rated. I think us not getting players from the Delta has more to do with the Delta just not producing a lot of players. In my four years of high school, the best player from the Delta that I can remember didn't get a scholarship offer to anywhere better than MSVU.

BiscuitEater
01-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Have you heard that MSU has a 'new' basketball coach? And, I am sorry that Stans 'dissed' you so bad.

drunkernhelldawg
01-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Have you heard that MSU has a 'new' basketball coach? And, I am sorry that Stans 'dissed' you so bad.

I know. The number of Stansbury threads on this board is amazing.Who knows the idea of it?

engie
01-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Just let us decisively lose a game -- and we'll see how many "Rick Ray sux" -- "The grass was greener before" -- etc... threads pop up.

There were a shitload of Polk threads the first couple of years of Cohen as well. It's part of the gig.

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Who cares, basketball sucks

Coach34
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
And this is why Stands threads have been dragging out for 10 years now.

None of the Stands Lovers can ever admit the man ever messed up or has one single fault. None of you can just say- "yeah, that's a good point. Losing a guy like O'Bryant to LSU hurt the program some. He is doing a good job at LSU. Can't win them all I guess". If you guys could just do that one time- there would be alot less crap on Stands

Goat Holder
01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
None of the Stands Lovers can ever admit the man ever messed up or has one single fault. None of you can just say- "yeah, that's a good point. Losing a guy like O'Bryant to LSU hurt the program some. He is doing a good job at LSU. Can't win them all I guess". If you guys could just do that one time- there would be alot less crap on Stands

Pot meet kettle, yada yada. Come on, it's just gotten boring.

chef dixon
01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Who cares, basketball sucks

Sadly for me currently as an MSU fan, I prefer basketball far, far more than baseball.