PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray is beginning to remind me a lot of John Cohen. My thoughts after today:

FFF
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Ray is building this deal from the ground up and the foundation is being laid. Just like most of you, I have doubted and even today, I almost decided to chalk this game up as an automatic loss. But don't kid yourself... this is one of the hardest-playing basketball teams I've seen play the game (no sarcasterics... this team gets incredible marks in that area). They WILL NOT quit.

Let's look at the season so far... we are 12-5 on the year, 2-2 in the league. Our worst (and only) loss at home was to TCU. I haven't looked up the numbers so I don't know the RPI of our losses, but based on the eye test, that seems to be it.

This team has:
1. Fight. Let's get this one out of the way, this team will not give up, and that deserves mentioning
2. Defense. We lead the league in steals... we don't kill ourselves failing to rebound the ball (we will get better with more size). This is the absolute biggest up-side to this team over teams of the past
3. A go-to player who will make things happen... Craig Sword
4. A promising PG in Ready. He's already emerging as a leader, he will soon run the show and I think be a solid player.
5. A big man who is gradually making bigger and bigger impacts. Gavin Ware is getting better, and I hope our fans can see that.

The focus for this year:
1. Keep our team healthy. We can't afford injuries. Take every precaution possible to ensure we keep what depth we have.
2. Continue to emphasize physical, aggressive defense. It's done us well and has kept us in a position to win games. This is our identity. Keep emphasizing our focus on our brand of defense.
3. On offense, keep attacking. With officiating becoming more ticky-tack, we have a solid offensive gameplan. Attack and get to the line. Knock down free throws, and we will become frustratingly (for other teams) good. We will put finesse teams in foul trouble. We beat UGA this way last year, as well as OM and A&M based on this very formula. Keep this up. Which leads me to my last point...
4. FREE THROWS. FREE THROWS. FREE THROWS. We HAVE to get better at the line. aGAIN, this is who we are on offense. We have GOT to get better than 64%. No team has won a national championship shooting worse than 68% from the stripe (I'm NOT saying we will win the national championship... but this has to be the benchmark). We need to get better here.

Believe it if you want to or not, we are not far from becoming a top 5-7 SEC team. We only need a few more pieces and we will be there. We are much better than we were this time last year and have gotten better since then. I really like how this club is continuing to develop and get better.

hometowndawg
01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Amen to everything you said FFF

smootness
01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Great post. Knowing our limitations, you can't help but love watching this team play.

We definitely need to get better in shooting FTs, but it seems like we're working on that. We all know how bad Sword has been, yet he's now 36-47 in SEC play. Pretty incredible jump for him, and his form seems to be improved.

For the record, the RPI of our losses is:
Kentucky - 16
Utah St - 88
Alabama - 103
UNLV - 131
TCU - 175

Our best two RPI wins are Ole Miss at 73 and now A&M, who was 108 coming into today.

Realtimerpi.com predicts us to finish 5-9, so 17-14 (7-11 SEC) overall. I would take that, though I'm guessing this team wins at least one more than that.

mic
01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I talked to good friend of mine that played at MSU in late 90's. he agreed with me . Right now we are one outside shooter that can extend the defense and one more big body inside away from being a good team.
we have a point guard, a solid big man , and guy that can create his own shot get the rim and finish..

He agreed that no doubt RR can coach and have his team ready to play night in night out.. If he can get the players here we are going to be just fine with our basketball program..

Coach34
01-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Realtimerpi.com predicts us to finish 5-9, so 17-14 (7-11 SEC) overall. I would take that, though I'm guessing this team wins at least one more than that.

I predicted 7-11 in the SEC, but had us only getting 9 OOC. If we go 17-14 then we will have had a successful season. Obviously the bar would raise for next year- but 17 wins this season would be a good year

Drugdog
01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
I predicted 7-11 in the SEC, but had us only getting 9 OOC. If we go 17-14 then we will have had a successful season. Obviously the bar would raise for next year- but 17 wins this season would be a good year

C34,
I think we may pull an upset at home.. These guys play hard. We may have captured lightning in a bottle with RR. We have hammered SS but so far he is proving to be a good hire.

smootness
01-18-2014, 10:28 PM
C34,
I think we may pull an upset at home.. These guys play hard. We may have captured lightning in a bottle with RR. We have hammered SS but so far he is proving to be a good hire.

Honestly, I have no idea why anyone killed Stricklin for the hire in the first place. If you pay attention to sports, especially college basketball, at all, you know that 'name we know' does not in any way ensure a better chance at success than 'name we don't know'. Yet you constantly see fans react to a hire immediately by saying, 'He must have been our 12th choice because no one's heard of him and I've heard of these other 11 guys'. Anyone who makes a hire that way will fail more often than not. Stricklin seems to know how to hire coaches...Schaefer looks to be a winner, too.

Kenny Payne. I'll always laugh at that one.