PDA

View Full Version : Cherry to the Pats

FlabLoser
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Humph

MSUDawg4Life
04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I think it's a good fit. That defense suits what he does well. Clog the middle.

Not to mention he has Kyle Love there to help him out. Wasn't Kyle undrafted?

That's probably his best chance of making a team. I hope he makes it. Will look good for us. I hope all of our FAs make it.

Coach34
04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
So to recap:

We have had 4 defensive players drafted, a Freshman AA, and a couple more draft picks next season- and Wilson couldnt do any better than he did?

MSUDawg4Life
04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Cherrington wasn't drafted. He and Cam Lawrence (Cowboys) were free agents.

I think we ought to define what "Wilson couldn't do any better than he did" means. Let's put some facts and figures on it. Rankings.

People have said Collins is going to be exponentially better than Wilson. Let's put some numbers on it and actually see how he does. Compare at the end of the year.

Will James
04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
So to recap:

We have had 4 defensive players drafted, a Freshman AA, and a couple more draft picks next season- and Wilson couldnt do any better than he did?

It's unfathomable that our defense gave up more yards than our offense earned.

Coach34
04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Cherrington wasn't drafted. He and Cam Lawrence (Cowboys) were free agents.

I think we ought to define what "Wilson couldn't do any better than he did" means. Let's put some facts and figures on it. Rankings.

ahhhh...I havent paid attention to the draft today, But Engie, BeastMan, and I have have shown the numbers from this past season over and over. It wasnt terrible- and our PPG was respectable- but there was a significant drop in rush D and some other categories. And for us to not make any changes and keep doing the same crap we did last year- my feelings werent hurt at all that Wilson is gone.

MSUDawg4Life
04-27-2013, 09:32 PM
ahhhh...I havent paid attention to the draft today, But Engie, BeastMan, and I have have shown the numbers from this past season over and over. It wasnt terrible- and our PPG was respectable- but there was a significant drop in rush D and some other categories. And for us to not make any changes and keep doing the same crap we did last year- my feelings werent hurt at all that Wilson is gone.

I knew his numbers weren't terrible. I just know how our fanbase can hold onto an idea that may not actually be true.

I can understand not liking his defense. I do think that style may be more suited to the Big12 than the SEC. We want a slobberknocking defense. That's what we're used to at MSU. That's understandable.

I just think before we get to proclaiming that Wilson was so terrible (and Collins will be so great), let's make the comparison on actual numbers. Actual results on the field.

Coach34
04-27-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm not saying Collins is great- but his style definitely fits better. And no doubt- Collins has some exams to pass this Fall

Todd4State
04-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I think Collins will be better. However, if he isn't better, that doesn't mean we should have kept Wilson. I don't think Collins will be the next Joe Lee Dunn, but I think he will do a good job.

Our defensive numbers may not have been "that bad", but I still think we could and should have been a lot better, and I think we underutilized our talent. We shouldn't have to wait until we are a flaming heap of crap to make a change in any sport.

MSUDawg4Life
04-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I think Collins will be better. However, if he isn't better, that doesn't mean we should have kept Wilson. I don't think Collins will be the next Joe Lee Dunn, but I think he will do a good job.

Our defensive numbers may not have been "that bad", but I still think we could and should have been a lot better, and I think we underutilized our talent. We shouldn't have to wait until we are a flaming heap of crap to make a change in any sport.

I think we can all agree on that. It seems to happen far too often though.

Goat Holder
04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I knew his numbers weren't terrible. I just know how our fanbase can hold onto an idea that may not actually be true.

I can understand not liking his defense. I do think that style may be more suited to the Big12 than the SEC. We want a slobberknocking defense. That's what we're used to at MSU. That's understandable.

I just think before we get to proclaiming that Wilson was so terrible (and Collins will be so great), let's make the comparison on actual numbers. Actual results on the field.

None of this matters. We got destroyed by every offense we played that halfway had a pulse. DESTROYED. I don't care about the numbers, that only tells the half the story. Anybody who has ever been a part of any sport knows how much the intangibles matter. Wilson didn't have it. We had the talent, just not the coaching. This affects the offense as well.

Yeah I know that people point to the offense being the culprit in the Egg Bowl and Gator Bowl losses, and yes, they played badly and contributed. But that doesn't release the defense of its blame.....we were just already used to seeing the defense suck and we expected it.....when the offense sucked too, we really looked like shit, so Tyler and the offense got the brunt of the criticism when it just wasn't warranted.

End of the day, the right guy was fired. That move proves what I already knew....the defense did not live up to its potential. THAT is why Wilson is not here....not because the defense sucked or didn't suck......he simply did not get the best out of what we had. End of story.