PDA

View Full Version : Duck luck anyone?

State82
01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Its been absolutely horrible for us in the public land sector. I have heard of some decent hunts at Panther Swamp NWR, but I know basically nothing about that place other than riding around some. Went to Howard Miller WMA both days last weekend and we only had a couple teal and 3 boot lips. One group of 4 we saw did limit out on teal. Sunday we did not fire a shot. Where's J-Dawg with some news?

Oxfordawg
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
It's dead this year if you don't have a private hole. Killed a few last weekend around Scatters and Mal Maison

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Its been absolutely horrible for us in the public land sector. I have heard of some decent hunts at Panther Swamp NWR, but I know basically nothing about that place other than riding around some. Went to Howard Miller WMA both days last weekend and we only had a couple teal and 3 boot lips. One group of 4 we saw did limit out on teal. Sunday we did not fire a shot. Where's J-Dawg with some news?

I've heard of some good kill numbers at Shipland and Mahannah, but I haven't made it to either of those this year. I was lucky enough to do a couple of hunts just off the Ms river and absolutely destroyed them.

J-Dawg
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Your news sounds like mine, State82. Public land has been a let down. Delta National has been virtually useless this year. I mean.... absolutely terrible. I think our best hunt on DNF was 4-5 ducks between 3 folks. I have quit wasting my time with that place.

We had a draw at Mahannah this past Saturday. Hardly saw any mallards, and definitely didn't have any work our hole. Shot mainly spoonies and a couple of pintail, but still an abysmal hunt.

Best hunt numbers wise I've had all year was at a lease my company holds on the Pearl. Limited on gadwall and woodies. Obviously just a roosting hole, but we've had some fun hunts there the past few weeks.

I've pretty much decided to stop chasing the big ducks on public land this year. I need to work my contacts with private land next year before the season starts.

FISHDAWG
01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm in Georgia so this may not be applicable but with that last blast of cold weather I woke up to over a thousand ducks on our little 40 acre lake ... when they left it turned the sky dark ..... they moved on but I'm still noticing a bunch of migratory birds coming in every day

Sam&DeansDawg
01-22-2014, 04:49 PM
It's been terrible.