PDA

View Full Version : This is why we won't make it out of a super

PMDawg
04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Or possibly a regional. Two games vs good pitching and 3 total runs.

CadaverDawg
04-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Or possibly a regional. Two games vs good pitching and 3 total runs.

I disagree. We are getting hits and base runners...we are just not getting "timely" hits. We will face no better pitching in post season play than we have this SEC season. We'll be fine. Got to get hot at the right time

Todd4State
04-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Let me put their starting pitching into perspective for you- Ziomenick is rated a top 50 draft prospect by MLB.com- and I consider their draft guy Jonathan Mayo to be the most accurate draft expert out there. Beede, the guy who beat us today, was taken in the first round out of high school. He is considered a top five draft pick, and possibly the top pick in the draft next year.

So, we got shut down by a likely first round pick and a likely first or second round pick.

There are not very many teams in the country that have pitching like that in the postseason. Oh yeah- and we were on the road as well.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-27-2013, 08:05 PM
why would a 1st round draft pick out of HS go to college?

PMDawg
04-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I know all about this. If we make a super, we will see elite pitching. We struggle to put more than 2-3 runs on the board in those situations. We ask too much of our pitching.

msstate7
04-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Bc he's an idiot. No other explanation. He was offered 2 million and turned it down.

sack07
04-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I know all about this. If we make a super, we will see elite pitching. We struggle to put more than 2-3 runs on the board in those situations. We ask too much of our pitching.

We got the most hits off Beede this year. They just weren't at the right time. We get hot, and we could absolutely win a Super. To say that there's no way at this point is unreasonable. And no, not many Super Regional teams have two first round stud starters.

Homedawg
04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

He joins a fairly lengthy list of vandy players that were taken in the first round out of hs. When I say lengthy, 1 is a lot, 2 is a unreal, and they are on 3+. Don't have the time to look it up for exact number

Drugdog
04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Let me break it down to the most simple level. We can't hit with bases loaded.

msstate7
04-27-2013, 09:19 PM
He joins a fairly lengthy list of vandy players that were taken in the first round out of hs. When I say lengthy, 1 is a lot, 2 is a unreal, and they are on 3+. Don't have the time to look it up for exact number

We need to hire Corbin to be our football recruiting coordinator. If he can talk high schoolers into turning down millions to go to college surely he can talk recruits into turning down tens of thousands from ole miss and auburn to come to us.

Coach34
04-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Or possibly a regional. Two games vs great pitching and 3 total runs.

fixed it for you. There arent 5 teams in America with a #1 and #2 like Vandy has.

Todd4State
04-27-2013, 09:44 PM

At this point, he actually stands to make more than he would if he had gone to MLB out of high school. It's a big gamble- no doubt.

Todd4State
04-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Off the top of my head, Mark Prior (later transferred to USC to go for a National Championship), Jeremy Sowers, David Price was offered first round money, and Tyler Beede.

ScoobaDawg
04-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Let me put their starting pitching into perspective for you- Ziomenick is rated a top 50 draft prospect by MLB.com- and I consider their draft guy Jonathan Mayo to be the most accurate draft expert out there. Beede, the guy who beat us today, was taken in the first round out of high school. He is considered a top five draft pick, and possibly the top pick in the draft next year.

So, we got shut down by a likely first round pick and a likely first or second round pick.

There are not very many teams in the country that have pitching like that in the postseason. Oh yeah- and we were on the road as well.

Great points Todd, their starting pitching is just plain sick. I didnt realize todays starter was THAT good but he looked the part the way he battled.

ScoobaDawg
04-27-2013, 10:04 PM
At this point, he actually stands to make more than he would if he had gone to MLB out of high school. It's a big gamble- no doubt.

It definitely is not the standard route...but for him it's looking to be a great decision (short of him getting hurt in the next year) 3 years of scholarship paid baseball in the SEC vs 3 years of Minor League Ball for 2mil
His 3 years in the SEC proving himself has jumped him to a top 5 possibly top overall pick worth wayyy more than 2 mil.

msstate7
04-27-2013, 10:24 PM
It definitely is not the standard route...but for him it's looking to be a great decision (short of him getting hurt in the next year) 3 years of scholarship paid baseball in the SEC vs 3 years of Minor League Ball for 2mil
His 3 years in the SEC proving himself has jumped him to a top 5 possibly top overall pick worth wayyy more than 2 mil.

He could've possibly gotten to mlb by the time he gets drafted. Turning down 2 million to go to school isn't a risk I would take. 2 million on the table is done deal for me

engie
04-28-2013, 12:10 AM

There is not 15 teams in the country with better pitching than that.