PDA

View Full Version : Collins is a Fla State target

preachermatt83
01-17-2014, 03:27 PM
We are about to lose Geoff to FSU!!! I am so sick of this crap!!

BulldogDX55
01-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Source?

01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Please back away.
http://henican.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/CliffAreaDangerSignS2.jpg

jimbo352
01-17-2014, 03:35 PM

sshhhh... don't want to say anything that could hurt the program.

I've been hearing FSU was serious for a week, but several people on here have been saying he was getting a raise and going nowhere.... I hope they're right, because there's a lot of smoke.

deltadawg99
01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Yeah this is the type of stuff that OM people take screen shots of and send to our recruits. Just sayin

BulldogDX55
01-17-2014, 03:39 PM
If it does happen, I say we take DA COACH O for DC. It would be amazing.

Goat Holder
01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
nm

01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
We should have thrown his name out to FSU earlier. He even has FSU connections.

chef dixon
01-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I realize he's done a nice job, but what automatically makes him a wanted man for FSU? Hiring a guy after 1 year on the job is even more ambitious than the Manny Diaz hire, and we all know how well that worked for Texas. I like Collins and him running the D, but I think a lot of our improvement from last year to this year was due to improved personnel in the front 7.

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM
After Manny's one and done if we follow that up with a one and done from Geoff Collins as DC then I am going to seriously question our ability to ever do more than 6-8 win seasons. Don't want to see us be in the situation where every year its one of 2 things, a. our DC sucks and Mullen has to move them out (i.e Torbush and Wilson) or b. our DC performs pretty well so its off to greener pastures (i.e Diaz and we'll see on Collins).

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I realize he's done a nice job, but what automatically makes him a wanted man for FSU? Hiring a guy after 1 year on the job is even more ambitious than the Manny Diaz hire, and we all know how well that worked for Texas. I like Collins and him running the D, but I think a lot of our improvement from last year to this year was due to improved personnel in the front 7.

Why is it MORE ambitious? Collins was DC at FIU while Diaz was DC at MTSU. However, Collins has been on our staff for 3 years (1 as DC) while Diaz was only on our staff for one year.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 03:47 PM
We have good coaches- naturally they will be targets

I hope we dont lose him, we'll see what happens. He hasnt been offered the job yet, so let's let it play out

jimbo352
01-17-2014, 03:48 PM

He knows Florida having coached at UCF and FIU... Already knowing the people and territory is very valuable on the recruiting front. Plus, he has done a damn fine job here.

It is very important to lock down assistants as soon as the regular season is over. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe something was worked out a long time ago. Maybe we offered him more money, but he's waiting to see how interested FSU is... I just wish we had locked him down in early December.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Why is it MORE ambitious? Collins was DC at FIU while Diaz was DC at MTSU. However, Collins has been on our staff for 3 years (1 as DC) while Diaz was only on our staff for one year.

Collins has more experience than Diaz did.

But no doubt our D improved alot because of our DL and LB's- not just the DC

deltadawg99
There is also a lot of chatter that Charles Kelly may be promoted from within.

ShotgunDawg

Matt you a better than to post something like this. Are you saying this because Croom Diaries wrote a speculative article?

I can't find a single source that insinuates that FSU is serious about Collins.

chef dixon
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Alright, equally ambitious is fine. But you could definitely argue that Manny's D in 2010 was the best we've had in the Mullen era, and looking back now at the NFL players on that D, it probably had a lot to do with personnel. Which I hope is what is causing the improvement in ours now, not specifically who the coordinator is.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Maybe we offered him more money, but he's waiting to see how interested FSU is... I just wish we had locked him down in early December.

locked him down how- in a closet? It doesnt matter when his raise is announced- he would still be interested in Fla State

mic
Everyone pump the brakes.. FSU is probably going to hire from within.. Charles Kelly

maroonmania
We have good coaches- naturally they will be targets

I hope we dont lose him, we'll see what happens. He hasnt been offered the job yet, so let's let it play out

It will be a HUGE loss if we don't keep him. Collins is by far the best of Mullen's DC hires. I'm certainly not convinced that we could replace with anyone as good. We've had Torbush and Wilson under Mullen who were both just plain bad and Diaz was probably made to look better than he is by the 2010 personnel we had. My expectations for next year's team take a significant hit if Collins isn't locked down.

01-17-2014, 03:52 PM

https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/424261399687090177

preachermatt83
01-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Matt you a better than to post something like this. Are you saying this because Croom Diaries wrote a speculative article?

Bruce fieldman is usually pretty accurate on his reporting

Coach34
01-17-2014, 03:56 PM
It will be a HUGE loss if we don't keep him. .

Long term more than short term. I could coach next year's D to top 5 in the SEC. We are loaded

smootness
01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
LOL, Bruce Feldman. Please tell me that is where all of this is coming from. The same guy who said McKinney was gone, right?

preachermatt83
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
He didn't say McKinney was gone. He said he graded out really high.

preachermatt83
01-17-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't care what yal say manny was a very good dc.

K9 Avenger
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM

You mean the "Meat Market" guy? He's almost never accurate in his reporting as pertains to MSU because all his "sources" regarding us are in Oxford. All right here at prime recruiting time too....hmm...

defiantdog
01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't see him interviewing with FSU any time soon.... hint, hint. He may have been in b'ham as well yesterday.

deltadawg99
01-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Feldman also tweeted yesterday "Heard from source that Jimbo is very tempted to promote LB coach Charles Kelly. He may become #FSU's new DC."

I

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Long term more than short term. I could coach next year's D to top 5 in the SEC. We are loaded

I totally disagree, this coming year will be greatly impacted. Collins did a great job calling our defense last year especially down the stretch. Our defensive personnel is pretty good but its no better than mid-level SEC talent overall. Who is running the show and doing the teaching with our LBs makes a world of difference. And beyond that what is this "long term"? I could easily see Collins getting a HC gig within 2-3 years so I don't have any high aspirations of keeping him long term but I WAS hoping for more than one year of him as our DC.

Op4isabitch
01-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Manny wasn't anywhere near as good as he appeared....the talent we had made him look descent and Wilson did a pretty good job with the line that year...Diaz fell on his face at Texas and his charade was exposed.

01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Feldman also tweeted yesterday "Heard from source that Jimbo is very tempted to promote LB coach Charles Kelly. He may become #FSU's new DC."

https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/423959210125062145

smootness
01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
I know somebody said he had decided to enter the draft back around the time of the bowl game; could have sworn it was Feldman, maybe not.

Either way, he throws out a bunch of names for every job...only when you see him start to say that word is a certain coach is going to be hired can you have more confidence in it.

'Hearing' that Collins is a candidate? Awesome. Thanks for the 'It's happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' thread title.

mic
01-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Feldman should just tweet out.
My Sources say that FSU will hire a new DC...

Statecoachingblows**
01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Can we just start creating our own rumors?

@Dakattack reporting Collins has turned down FSU offer will remain DC at MSU, with substantial raise.

dawgs
01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
locked him down how- in a closet? It doesnt matter when his raise is announced- he would still be interested in Fla State

yeah but the narrative changes to the general public. if we sign collins to an extension and raise, then his raise is the salary quoted as to what he left behind at msu. if we have a behind the scenes unannounced understanding out there now, then he leaves, now everyone talks about his current salary not the unannounced understanding, and his 2013 salary was embarrassingly low for a SEC DC. you may know that he really left behind a more legit salary and we may know it, but the perception outside of our ath dept and our fans that follow things closely is that we were paying well below market value and will never compete because we are cheap. you may think perception outside the program doesn't matter. you are wrong if you think that.

Westdawg
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
I dont thinik the issues Manny had at Texas were as much to do with him as it was that those prima donnas on that defense have thought that they made the sun shine since they were in junior high....those players will get a VERY rude awakening with Charlie Strong as the head man. those players have not been held to a high standard since they got on campus.
Diaz is an "in-your-face" yelling/screaming coach. The players at MSU were willing to accept his style of coaching because it pushed them to their limit and made them better, which is also why they enjoyed him so much.
the defensive players at Texas did not like it one bit. I am around a lot of these Texas guys and that was one of their biggest issues with Diaz.
I honestly think he would do well here, again, if given the opportunity.
Now, having said that, I do not want to lose Collins. The guy is a great LB coach and DC. and he is a phenomenal recruiter.

deltadawg99
01-17-2014, 04:47 PM
On a side note and going back to the Bruce Feldman twitter thing, I do think it's funny that Pete Rousell on coachingsearch.com posted Feldman's tweet about Collins but he doesn't mention his tweet about Charles Kelly. Once a bear always a bear I guess.

MarketingBully01
01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, at first glance he could be interested but would you still want to go to a team that is geared for the 3-4 when your philosophy is the 4-3? That is essentially why Georgia went after FSU's DC because the scheme would essentially stay the same (the former Georgia DC Grantham ran a 3-4). I would be more worried if Collins ran a 3-4 scheme. My guess would be they would promote from within rather then go to a DC who has a philosophy completely opposite of their personnel. That is also one of the reasons why Manny failed at Texas was because of the scheme change he had to implement among other reasons.

Sacrifice
01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
If Collins did leave I gotta believe Townsend would get a look at DC. I know when he took the job he was quoted as saying that's what attracted him to State was the fact that Mullen promoted from within the program..

smootness
01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
yeah but the narrative changes to the general public. if we sign collins to an extension and raise, then his raise is the salary quoted as to what he left behind at msu. if we have a behind the scenes unannounced understanding out there now, then he leaves, now everyone talks about his current salary not the unannounced understanding, and his 2013 salary was embarrassingly low for a SEC DC. you may know that he really left behind a more legit salary and we may know it, but the perception outside of our ath dept and our fans that follow things closely is that we were paying well below market value and will never compete because we are cheap. you may think perception outside the program doesn't matter. you are wrong if you think that.

Can someone give me concrete examples of how perception of our budget/salaries has a tangible effect, though?

Recruits certainly don't know and/or care what coaches are getting paid. And it doesn't matter to coaches, since they make decisions off the offer they're actually given, not what they perceive a program to pay. So for the average fan, what is the effect? Why does that specific perception matter?

bulldawg28
01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
If Collins get the job at FSU promote Townsend and move on.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 05:00 PM
If Collins get the job at FSU promote Townsend and move on.

Only think I'd worry about is his lack of coaching experience. He may be perfect for it, I dont know- but that would worry me a little

dawgs
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Can someone give me concrete examples of how perception of our budget/salaries has a tangible effect, though?

Recruits certainly don't know and/or care what coaches are getting paid. And it doesn't matter to coaches, since they make decisions off the offer they're actually given, not what they perceive a program to pay. So for the average fan, what is the effect? Why does that specific perception matter?

players don't care what the coaches make, but other coaches and the media and fans know that are salaries are embarrassingly low and thus treat us condescendingly because it's cute when the little spark plug tries to compete when they are completely outmanned. that attitude influences how the program is portrayed to the country at large and colors their perception of the program.

smootness
01-17-2014, 05:14 PM
players don't care what the coaches make, but other coaches and the media and fans know that are salaries are embarrassingly low and thus treat us condescendingly because it's cute when the little spark plug tries to compete when they are completely outmanned. that attitude influences how the program is portrayed to the country at large and colors their perception of the program.

Ok, that's fair. I get that it can influence media perception and perhaps lead them to paint a negative picture. That's a good point.

Goat Holder
01-17-2014, 05:21 PM
I think we need Collins ONE more year......then he can move on and we can promote Townsend. But not yet.

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 05:25 PM
I think we need Collins ONE more year......then he can move on and we can promote Townsend. But not yet.

Good gracious, I don't know about that. Turn our defense over to a guy that's never coordinated anything before and has only been in the coaching profession for a few years? I like Townsend and think he did a fine job with our young CBs this year but that would be a big gamble.

Todd4State
01-17-2014, 05:26 PM

It's not a direct effect in that recruits see salaries and base a decision on that.

However, if we pay our coaches significantly less than what they should and they are leaving every year because of it, then it has a very big impact.

smootness
01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
However, if we pay our coaches significantly less than what they should and they are leaving every year because of it, then it has a very big impact.

Well, obviously, but I don't think our ACs are leaving because of their salary here.

whosyourdawgy
01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
H2H just had Pete Roussel on and he said Collins has not interviewed w FSU and thinks Fisher will hire from within

FlabLoser
01-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Only think I'd worry about is his lack of coaching experience. He may be perfect for it, I dont know- but that would worry me a little

Re: Townsend... Yeah, there is more to picking a DC than just going with the next sexiest name on the staff.

Todd4State
01-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Well, obviously, but I don't think our ACs are leaving because of their salary here.

Just because they "haven't" (I don't believe that salary wasn't a consideration with Diaz no matter what Scott says. It may not have been the only reason, but I bet it factored in.) why take the risk? Because at some point, they will leave.

If you have good people that do a good job, you pay them. That's good business. And the better coaches we have, the better team we have and then the more money we bring in.

defiantdog
01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
H2H just had Pete Roussel on and he said Collins has not interviewed w FSU and thinks Fisher will hire from within

Collins was in B'ham yesterday. This is all speculation right now simply because Collins has a nice resume and Florida ties. I see them promoting Charles Kelly.

messageboardsuperhero
01-17-2014, 05:54 PM
If you have good people that do a good job, you pay them. That's good business. And the better coaches we have, the better team we have and then the more money we bring in.

Amen.

PendingTransaction
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Townsend for DC? What a joke. Damn we are star struck.

smootness
01-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Just because they "haven't" (I don't believe that salary wasn't a consideration with Diaz no matter what Scott says. It may not have been the only reason, but I bet it factored in.) why take the risk? Because at some point, they will leave.

I agree with you. But we haven't really had someone we really liked long enough to know what we will do with their salaries. You can assume we lost them because their salary wasn't high, but it would be pure speculation. No one has left our staff, that I can think of right now, for a lateral move. Diaz took the same job with Texas; Brewster took the same job with FSU; Hudspeth became a HC; those are all moves up. Wilson moved from DC to a position coach; Koenning moved from OC (in title) to a position coach; Torbush was fired; Mirando was fired. Those were all demotions that were almost certainly brought about because they were told to look elsewhere.

So to me, it seems like we're paying them fine. I get that we're lagging behind the rest of the conference, but we're also in a weird spot where we've either made great hires who got looks elsewhere right away...or we've had bad coaches that Mullen has parted with quickly. Or the guys have stayed on staff.

My point is, until we see someone like Collins leave for, say, the DC job at Arkansas, I'm not that worried about what we pay them. We are willing to pay them enough not to leave for lateral jobs, and once they get to a certain level it doesn't matter what we pay them.

But we haven't had someone really good not get a great offer elsewhere for long enough to know what we're willing to go up to in salary. Most of the disparity between us and Ole Miss in coaches' salaries comes down to DC, and ours was in his first year. He almost certainly will get a nice bump up and then we'll be right where we should be.

Dawgowar
01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Townsend for DC? What a joke. Damn we are star struck.

Mike Tomlin stepping down from Steelers to mentor him...shopping for home in Old Waverly. (Obligatory celebrity assistance coach post)