PDA

View Full Version : This team will be remembered as the team

Coach34
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
That never could get the big hit...we haven't in big games all year- and that will continue till the last out of the season is made

CadaverDawg
04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
That never could get the big hit...we haven't in big games all year- and that will continue till the last out of the season is made

Hopefully they'll be remembered as the team that could never get the big hit until post season play started. I would rather us be red hot with RISP in about 3-4 weeks

Drugdog
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
The one and only thing I Polk has vs Cohen is we got big hits with bases loaded.
Where is Trey Porter?

Coach34
04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Where is Trey Porter?

Why he doesnt let him get plenty of AB's to get in a groove I'll never understand- Porter is getting ****ed over royally

taylor
04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
i dont like our approach at the plate during those times we need those big hits. I dont know if thats Cohens fault or not, but its consistently poor, and not working.

engie
04-28-2013, 12:08 AM
meh

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-28-2013, 12:23 AM

as I watch this team, we rely on Wes. We LIVE and DIE by Wes. If he hits into DPs, we are toast. If he gets timely hits, we are tits

msstate7
04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
i dont like our approach at the plate during those times we need those big hits. I dont know if thats Cohens fault or not, but its consistently poor, and not working.
When we get bases loaded or runners on the corners with less than 2 outs, it seems we don't know how to hit a fly ball to the outfield. We either strike out or hit it hard right to an infielder. Then we hear on this board that he hit it hard. Well isn't that exactly what the other team wanted? I agree we need to chance our approach and hit fly balls

slickdawg
04-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm really tired of getting a runner at third with 1 out, and doing nothing with them. This is the difference in us being a contender and an average SEC team. You have to punish teams, you make them pay for walks. At least twice this weekend we've had bases loaded with one out and didn't do anything with it. Sure you have to credit Vandy pitching and defense. Friday night, Pollo walked two, they made him pay, that was the difference in the game. We don't make teams pay, we've been gifted quite a few runs from wild pitches, pass balls, errors, but base hits with the bases loaded? Ammo's grand slam, and a couple of other instances are all we've done. This has to improve for us to be a team playing in Omaha.

There's a 0.0000000% chance of this, but if Renfroe and Frazier came back next year, we could be really good.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm really tired of getting a runner at third with 1 out, and doing nothing with them. This is the difference in us being a contender and an average SEC team. You have to punish teams, you make them pay for walks. At least twice this weekend we've had bases loaded with one out and didn't do anything with it. Sure you have to credit Vandy pitching and defense. Friday night, Pollo walked two, they made him pay, that was the difference in the game. We don't make teams pay, we've been gifted quite a few runs from wild pitches, pass balls, errors, but base hits with the bases loaded? Ammo's grand slam, and a couple of other instances are all we've done. This has to improve for us to be a team playing in Omaha.

There's a 0.0000000% chance of this, but if Renfroe and Frazier came back next year, we could be really good.

I think we'll have some decent hitters next year, but I don't see any power. We need a juco 3rd baseman that can hit a ball out of the yard and can play defense.

Original48
04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
DHing Robson hamstrung us for several reasons. (1) Porter is a power hitter..more chance of a long ball/gapper/sac fly than Robson (2) Robson at DH makes him unavailable for left field (3) Pinch hitting Porter for Henderson now makes you vulnerable in left field due to Robson already at DH (4) Porter hits for Henderson...Pollo misplays fly ball in left

Coach34
04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
I think we'll have some decent hitters next year, but I don't see any power. We need a juco 3rd baseman that can hit a ball out of the yard and can play defense.

Now that we are winning-the recruiting is getting better. Cohen has a pretty damn good class coming in and more size for a change.

Original48
04-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Oh and (5) Robson DH, then porter pinch hitting for Henderson = CT unavailable to pitch unless you wanted to really cripple your outfield.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Now that we are winning-the recruiting is getting better. Cohen has a pretty damn good class coming in and more size for a change.
I don't keep up with baseball recruiting, so this is good to hear.

engie
04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Incoming class per Gene:

Reid Humphreys, SS/RHP, 6-2, 180, R-R, Northwest Rankin High School (Flowood, MS)
Reid is considered one of the top players in the nation .... In 2012 he batted .360 with 7 home runs and 38 RBI. He also had a 6-3 record with a 1.85 ERA ... In 2011 he batted .412 with 3 home runs and 18 RBI in 24 games. He also had a 5-2 record with a 3.18 earned run average on the mound.... Reid played his summer ball with the prestigious summer travel team program, the Marucci Elite 16s.... His older brother, Tyler Moore, played baseball at Mississippi State and is currently playing in the Major Leagues .... Top Tools: Hitting For Average, Hitting With Power, Arm Strength, Defense.

Austin Sexton, RHP, 6-2, 165, R-R, Sparkman (AL) HS
One of the top players in the southeast as well as the nation .... Perfect Game, as of December, 2011, rated him the 90th best player in the class of 2013 ... He was a Perfect Game High Honorable Mention Underclass All American for 2011 and a second-team Perfect Game All American for 2012 ... Austin will play in the Perfect Game National Showcase and has received an invitation to perform in the East Coast Pro Showcase without having to go through the tryouts ... He chose MSU over offers from Auburn, Troy, South Alabama and UAB ... Austin plays summer ball with the Dulins Dodgers program ... ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Outstanding Curveball, Control.

Dakota Hudson, RHP, 6-5, 190, R-R, Sequatchie County (Dunlap, TN) HS
One of the top players in the state of Tennessee ... Increased his two-seam fastball velocity from 80-84 to 89-90 miles per hour between his sophomore and junior seasons, and continues to have great projectability which should lead to even more velocity in the future. Since his junior season he has seen his fastball increase to the low-90s, topping out at 95 ... He chose MSU over an offer from Kennesaw State as well as interest from Tennessee, Kentucky and Troy ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Control.

Brent Rooker, 1B, 6-4, 185, R-R, Evangelical Christian School (Cordova, TN) HS
One of the top class of 2013 players in the state of Tennessee ... As a junior (2012), he hit .450 with 15 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs and 38 RBI. He also stole 19-of-19 stolen bases ... A great athlete who runs in the 4.65 forty-yard dash range and has a 36-inch vertical leap ... He chose MSU over an offer from Memphis as well as interest

Vance Tatum, LHP, 6-4, 180, L-L, Southaven (MS) HS
One of the top pitchers in the state of Mississippi ... Consistently throws in the 86-87 mph range, topping out at 89 ... Chose MSU over offers from Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis and Air Force

Ben Hudspeth, RHP/C, 6-0, 200, R-R, Itawamba (MS) Community College
As a freshman, Ben earned NJCAA All-American honors after going 11-0 record with a 1.82 ERA.

Cody Walker, C, 5-11, 190, R-R, Chattahoochee Valley Community College (Phenix City, AL)
He hit .312 and had a .996 fielding percentage his freshman season at CVCC. He chose Mississippi State over Auburn, Alabama and Columbia State University.

Glenn Irby, LHP, 6-2, 205, L-L, Mars Hills Bible School (Florence, AL)
One of the top pitchers in the state of Alabama .... His fastball velocity is in the high-80s, topping out at 92 ... Chose MSU over Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Samford

Jake Vickerson, OF, 5-10, 180, R-R, Shelton State (AL) Community College
One of the top junior college prospects in the state of Alabama ... As a freshman, he batted .381 in 194 at-bats, walking 30 times while striking out just 1 times. He stole 19 bases in 21 attmpts ... Chose MSU over Alabama

Dylan Ingram, 1B, 6-4, 210, R-R, Edgewood Academy (AL)
As a junior, he hit .541 with 69 RBI. He was the AISA player of the year as a junior ... Has outstanding power potential ... He is also an outstanding student with a 4.0+ gpa and a 28 act ... He chose MSU over over Auburn, Florida State and several others

Zach Houston, RHP, 6-5.5, 217, R-R, Poplarville (MS) HS
He throws an 89-92 mph sinking fastball ... He has been invited to numerous invitation-only events in Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Jupiter , FL ... He chose MSU over offers from Ole Miss and Southern Miss. Other schools showing interest were LSU, Alabama and Tulane

Avery Geyer, RHP/OF, 5-11, 195, R-R, Catholic HS (Pensacola, FL)
As a junior, he was 9-1 with a 1.45 ERA and struck out 112 in 77.1 innings .... He throws in the 88-92 mph range ... He chose MSU over offers from South Alabama and Southern Miss and interest from ULL, Tulane and UCF.

Jacob Billingsley, INF/RHP, 6-1, 180, R-R, Magnolia Heights (MS) School
As a pitcher, Billingsley throws in the mid-80s, topping out in the 87 to 88 mph range ... He had a 2.22 ERA and a 2-0 record while throwing 41 innings his junior season. Teams hit .180 against him.

Gavin Collins, C, 6-0, 195, R-R, El Toro HS (Lake Forest, CA)
One of the elite prospects in the nation .... Outstanding hitter who is rated a 9.5 out of a 10.0 scale by national scouting service Perfect Game ... Also an excellent defensive catcher with a very good arm. Has a 1.90 pop time to second base ... Has the potential to be a very high draft pick in the 2012 summer MLB draft ... Chose MSU over his other three finalists, Oregon, Arizona State and Fresno State.

Ronny
04-28-2013, 12:20 PM
..how this team will be remembered until they reach the end of their post season run, but currently it's remembered for swinging at pitches out of the strike zone when all they have to do is stand there & draw a walk.

msstate7
04-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Incoming class per Gene:

Reid Humphreys, SS/RHP, 6-2, 180, R-R, Northwest Rankin High School (Flowood, MS)
Reid is considered one of the top players in the nation .... In 2012 he batted .360 with 7 home runs and 38 RBI. He also had a 6-3 record with a 1.85 ERA ... In 2011 he batted .412 with 3 home runs and 18 RBI in 24 games. He also had a 5-2 record with a 3.18 earned run average on the mound.... Reid played his summer ball with the prestigious summer travel team program, the Marucci Elite 16s.... His older brother, Tyler Moore, played baseball at Mississippi State and is currently playing in the Major Leagues .... Top Tools: Hitting For Average, Hitting With Power, Arm Strength, Defense.

Austin Sexton, RHP, 6-2, 165, R-R, Sparkman (AL) HS
One of the top players in the southeast as well as the nation .... Perfect Game, as of December, 2011, rated him the 90th best player in the class of 2013 ... He was a Perfect Game High Honorable Mention Underclass All American for 2011 and a second-team Perfect Game All American for 2012 ... Austin will play in the Perfect Game National Showcase and has received an invitation to perform in the East Coast Pro Showcase without having to go through the tryouts ... He chose MSU over offers from Auburn, Troy, South Alabama and UAB ... Austin plays summer ball with the Dulins Dodgers program ... ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Outstanding Curveball, Control.

Dakota Hudson, RHP, 6-5, 190, R-R, Sequatchie County (Dunlap, TN) HS
One of the top players in the state of Tennessee ... Increased his two-seam fastball velocity from 80-84 to 89-90 miles per hour between his sophomore and junior seasons, and continues to have great projectability which should lead to even more velocity in the future. Since his junior season he has seen his fastball increase to the low-90s, topping out at 95 ... He chose MSU over an offer from Kennesaw State as well as interest from Tennessee, Kentucky and Troy ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Control.

Brent Rooker, 1B, 6-4, 185, R-R, Evangelical Christian School (Cordova, TN) HS
One of the top class of 2013 players in the state of Tennessee ... As a junior (2012), he hit .450 with 15 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs and 38 RBI. He also stole 19-of-19 stolen bases ... A great athlete who runs in the 4.65 forty-yard dash range and has a 36-inch vertical leap ... He chose MSU over an offer from Memphis as well as interest

Vance Tatum, LHP, 6-4, 180, L-L, Southaven (MS) HS
One of the top pitchers in the state of Mississippi ... Consistently throws in the 86-87 mph range, topping out at 89 ... Chose MSU over offers from Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Tulane, Memphis and Air Force

Ben Hudspeth, RHP/C, 6-0, 200, R-R, Itawamba (MS) Community College
As a freshman, Ben earned NJCAA All-American honors after going 11-0 record with a 1.82 ERA.

Cody Walker, C, 5-11, 190, R-R, Chattahoochee Valley Community College (Phenix City, AL)
He hit .312 and had a .996 fielding percentage his freshman season at CVCC. He chose Mississippi State over Auburn, Alabama and Columbia State University.

Glenn Irby, LHP, 6-2, 205, L-L, Mars Hills Bible School (Florence, AL)
One of the top pitchers in the state of Alabama .... His fastball velocity is in the high-80s, topping out at 92 ... Chose MSU over Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Samford

Jake Vickerson, OF, 5-10, 180, R-R, Shelton State (AL) Community College
One of the top junior college prospects in the state of Alabama ... As a freshman, he batted .381 in 194 at-bats, walking 30 times while striking out just 1 times. He stole 19 bases in 21 attmpts ... Chose MSU over Alabama

Dylan Ingram, 1B, 6-4, 210, R-R, Edgewood Academy (AL)
As a junior, he hit .541 with 69 RBI. He was the AISA player of the year as a junior ... Has outstanding power potential ... He is also an outstanding student with a 4.0+ gpa and a 28 act ... He chose MSU over over Auburn, Florida State and several others

Zach Houston, RHP, 6-5.5, 217, R-R, Poplarville (MS) HS
He throws an 89-92 mph sinking fastball ... He has been invited to numerous invitation-only events in Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Jupiter , FL ... He chose MSU over offers from Ole Miss and Southern Miss. Other schools showing interest were LSU, Alabama and Tulane

Avery Geyer, RHP/OF, 5-11, 195, R-R, Catholic HS (Pensacola, FL)
As a junior, he was 9-1 with a 1.45 ERA and struck out 112 in 77.1 innings .... He throws in the 88-92 mph range ... He chose MSU over offers from South Alabama and Southern Miss and interest from ULL, Tulane and UCF.

Jacob Billingsley, INF/RHP, 6-1, 180, R-R, Magnolia Heights (MS) School
As a pitcher, Billingsley throws in the mid-80s, topping out in the 87 to 88 mph range ... He had a 2.22 ERA and a 2-0 record while throwing 41 innings his junior season. Teams hit .180 against him.

Gavin Collins, C, 6-0, 195, R-R, El Toro HS (Lake Forest, CA)
One of the elite prospects in the nation .... Outstanding hitter who is rated a 9.5 out of a 10.0 scale by national scouting service Perfect Game ... Also an excellent defensive catcher with a very good arm. Has a 1.90 pop time to second base ... Has the potential to be a very high draft pick in the 2012 summer MLB draft ... Chose MSU over his other three finalists, Oregon, Arizona State and Fresno State.

Good stuff engie

maroonmania
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Interesting that we are redshirting 2 catchers (Randolph and Garner) yet bringing in 2 additional catchers in this signing class with one of those being another JUCO. Also wish we would have signed another outfielder because we need more options out there. We will almost certainly lose Renfroe this year in RF and right now LF is a total crapshoot. At this point I'm not really sold on Henderson, Robson, Armstrong or Fullerton as a starting OF based on what I've seen and Bradford is a SR next year.

msstate7
04-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Interesting that we are redshirting 2 catchers (Randolph and Garner) yet bringing in 2 additional catchers in this signing class with one of those being another JUCO. Also wish we would have signed another outfielder because we need more options out there. We will almost certainly lose Renfroe this year in RF and right now LF is a total crapshoot. At this point I'm not really sold on Henderson, Robson, Armstrong or Fullerton as a starting OF based on what I've seen and Bradford is a SR next year.

If that's our outfield, we may not have a hr from our entire outfield. We need to increase our power along the corner infielders and corner outfield positions.

Todd4State
04-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Rooker is fast enough to play outfield and Gavin Collins is playing some outfield for his high school team as well. Reid Humphries can hopefully step in and fill the hole at third base that we currently have, and I still wish we would give Nick Flair a look there.

maroonmania
04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Rooker is fast enough to play outfield and Gavin Collins is playing some outfield for his high school team as well. Reid Humphries can hopefully step in and fill the hole at third base that we currently have, and I still wish we would give Nick Flair a look there.

Speaking of 3B and OF, are we out of it with Preston Palmeiro? On Perfect Game that's the 2 positions he is listed at.

engie
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I've heard nothing new on Palmeiro... Seems to play it pretty close to the vest judging by his twitter. Nothing would shock me given that situation...

But, I can confirm that Rafi's "split" from MSU during the Polk situation was apparently pretty exaggerated since I noticed last time I was up there that he definitely still has his box @ Dudy Noble.

maroonmania
04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I've heard nothing new on Palmeiro... Seems to play it pretty close to the vest judging by his twitter. Nothing would shock me given that situation...

But, I can confirm that Rafi's "split" from MSU during the Polk situation was apparently pretty exaggerated since I noticed last time I was up there that he definitely still has his box @ Dudy Noble.

Interesting, well if there is anywhere we need help and need it fast its 3rd base or outfield. Hopefully there is still enough of a connection there to pull him our way. Is he a high draft prospect?

Todd4State
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Preston would be good "fit" for us IMO in that he can play third, the outfield and he is a left handed bat.

He is not considered a high draft prospect though.

Will James
04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I feel our best baseball is ahead of us. The offense is exponentially better than last season and we are about to get a lot better match ups on the mound.

The main thing we should be concerned with is getting the best 9 in the damn lineup and our pitchers throwing strikes.

engie
04-29-2013, 03:53 PM
I feel our best baseball is ahead of us. The offense is exponentially better than last season and we are about to get a lot better match ups on the mound.

The main thing we should be concerned with is getting the best 9 in the damn lineup and our pitchers throwing strikes.

Exactly. Best post I've seen on the topic. Best baseball is still ahead of us this year -- and it's still ahead of us in the future. Throwing strikes -- no leadoff walks -- take a strike when a pitcher has walked the last two guys -- misplayed balls in the outfield -- etc...

While it drives me insane when people come with "this team just isn't very good, etc", I understand people being frustrated.

This team is more frustrating to me, personally, than the last 4 Cohen teams were -- because we are so close to elite and being able to say "we are back", yet we just don't yet do the little things correctly that are required of elite-level teams. I was worried about this coming into the year. It's a TOTALLY different dynamic when you go from playing as an underdog with your back against the wall -- to playing as a favorite with high expectations and a bullseye on your chest. It takes time and growing pains to learn to cope with that role reversal sometimes. Vandy made this painfully obvious to us -- despite us hitting them pretty well and having many chances to win the first two.

Todd4State
04-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Speaking of the best nine, I wish we would just stop playing Frost. I don't know how many times he has to one hop Rea until we realize he can't play third base.

CadaverDawg
04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Speaking of the best nine, I wish we would just stop playing Frost. I don't know how many times he has to one hop Rea until we realize he can't play third base.

Amen.

And why we DH Robson over Porter against righties now blows my mind. And I'm one of the few that actually likes Robson.

Speaking of Robson....Todd, will he have to start for us next year with CT leaving? If so, he needs to improve a lot with the bat.

Also, can we count on Bracewell coming back next year?

engie
04-29-2013, 10:53 PM
What makes you think CT is leaving, Cadaver? Seems the prevailing sentiment around the program is it's a great chance he's back next year. Only ones we're confident are leaving early are Renfroe and Mitchell at this point...

msstate7
04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
What makes you think CT is leaving, Cadaver? Seems the prevailing sentiment around the program is it's a great chance he's back next year. Only ones we're confident are leaving early are Renfroe and Mitchell at this point...
Ct is a terrible mlb prospect. Sure he can play some defense, but outfielders in pro baseball have to produce offensively. He can't hit college pitching, much less pro pitching. If he leaves, ill be shocked. He would be well advices to get his degree bc I don't see him having a career in baseball.

msstate7
04-29-2013, 11:14 PM

I'm more worried about losing pirtle than ct. Pirtle is a switch that has shown he can hit a little. He plays a good 2b and that's a position he doesn't need power.

Todd4State
04-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Amen.

And why we DH Robson over Porter against righties now blows my mind. And I'm one of the few that actually likes Robson.

Speaking of Robson....Todd, will he have to start for us next year with CT leaving? If so, he needs to improve a lot with the bat.

Also, can we count on Bracewell coming back next year?

I'm expecting CT to be back next year. He does need to improve with the bat- I'm not sure he's 100% over his shoulder injuries and who knows if he ever will be.

I don't know if we can count on Bracewell coming back or not- he should have his degree, and if he wants to come back, I'm sure he will be welcomed back. He might want to just enter the real world though.

Robson will eventually take over for CT- but it will be when Robson is a junior. Obviously, we have to worry more about replacing Renfroe, which I don't know that you really replace a player like that if he leaves. We have plenty of outfielders- Demarcus, CT, Robson, Armstrong, and then we are getting Jake Vickerson who is Nick's brother. Problem is, all of those guys are leadoff/CF types. Brent Rooker, Reid Humphries, and Gavin Collins are all capable of playing a corner spot and I think they will be power guys in time, but not anything like Renfroe is this year.

Long term, I think Rooker will eventually replace Rea at first base, Humphries will be a third baseman and possibly be a shortstop if Frazier leaves, and Collins is a little difficult to tell. He can play several spots and we have several catchers committed and we are redshirting Daniel Garner.

Todd4State
04-30-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm more worried about losing pirtle than ct. Pirtle is a switch that has shown he can hit a little. He plays a good 2b and that's a position he doesn't need power.

Pirtle is small though. MLB is looking for guys that are at least 5'10" and that is stretching it. Unless you have power like Dustin Pedroia. I think Pirtle will be drafted, but probably not high enough to worry about it. Same with Rea and Demarcus.

msstate7
04-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Pirtle is small though. MLB is looking for guys that are at least 5'10" and that is stretching it. Unless you have power like Dustin Pedroia. I think Pirtle will be drafted, but probably not high enough to worry about it. Same with Rea and Demarcus.

If pirtle is back next year, I think he's our leading hitter. Assuming Adam leaves.

maroonmania
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm expecting CT to be back next year. He does need to improve with the bat- I'm not sure he's 100% over his shoulder injuries and who knows if he ever will be.

I don't know if we can count on Bracewell coming back or not- he should have his degree, and if he wants to come back, I'm sure he will be welcomed back. He might want to just enter the real world though.

Robson will eventually take over for CT- but it will be when Robson is a junior. Obviously, we have to worry more about replacing Renfroe, which I don't know that you really replace a player like that if he leaves. We have plenty of outfielders- Demarcus, CT, Robson, Armstrong, and then we are getting Jake Vickerson who is Nick's brother. Problem is, all of those guys are leadoff/CF types. Brent Rooker, Reid Humphries, and Gavin Collins are all capable of playing a corner spot and I think they will be power guys in time, but not anything like Renfroe is this year.

Long term, I think Rooker will eventually replace Rea at first base, Humphries will be a third baseman and possibly be a shortstop if Frazier leaves, and Collins is a little difficult to tell. He can play several spots and we have several catchers committed and we are redshirting Daniel Garner.

Goodness, I hadn't even considered the possibility that CT might leave. In my mind he just hasn't played well enough or showed enough since coming back from injury to warrant being drafted. So our candidate OFs for next year are CT, Henderson, Robson, Armstrong, Fullerton and Vickerson. Now sorry but that's not a group that is going to strike fear into the heart of SEC pitchers though I don't know much about Vickerson. If you take CT off that group it becomes even more anemic. Just another reason why I think we should be in the business of securing AT LEAST one more viable OF prospect to battle for a position next year with Renfroe almost assuredly gone and CT either gone or being a senior.

engie
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Vickerson will be on the field somewhere, most likely left field or right field depending on arm strength. Here's his stats from his soph year in JUCO(thusfar). He's an outfielder that hits for average, rarely k's, draws a ton of free passes, never gets thrown out stealing, and never grounds into double plays. Sign him up for that left field position as an immediate improvement IMO.

Vickerson, Jake 0.360ba 178ab 41r 64h 8doubles 2triples 0hr 22rbi 76tb 0.427slg 33bb 5hbp 12k's 0gdp 0.472ob% 0sf 5sh 23sb 24sba

CadaverDawg
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Guys, my apologies. For some reason I was thinking CT was a Senior. I guess because it seems like 10 years ago when he was a freshman. In NO WAY was I talking about MLB draft! Ha. I bet you guys thought I had lost my mind. The MLB doesn't need a 145 LB popup machine. Sorry for my mistake on that. Hopefully CT can get back to his old self next year.

And in response to Todd about Bracewell...thanks for the thoughts on that. The reason I asked was because in yesterday's radio show, Butch was on there talking about Bracewell and how this weekend was his best velocity and movement since the injury. Said he was hitting 92-93 and his slider was up to around 83 I think. Needless to say, Butch sounded excited about Ben moving forward.

That being said, I was wondering what you guys thought about him potentially returning to the rotation next year if he comes back. We could use an experienced pitcher with the loss of Graveman and Pollo, and if Bracewell is throwing better than ever, maybe he could be that guy?

Just wanted your opinions on that. Obviously, if he's gone it won't be an issue, but I'm hoping the excitement Butch had about him this weekend will help make him want to come back and contribute.

ETA: look for Bracewell and Fitts to play a major role in the bullpen against Bama, based off of what Butch was saying. Apparently they have 6-7 RH hitters in the lineup and Butch said we have to be able to match up. I expect long relief from Holder and Bracewell for sure. Ross can be good against an aggressive RH lineup too though. Hopefully we don't need tons of bullpen use.