PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl All Giddy this moringing...

rabbitthedawg
01-17-2014, 08:51 AM
His last bone: Bone#10 Finally, I am told that Deshea Townsend and the MSU staff have blown the socks off of Marlon Humphrey. I am told a plan for his career was detailed out to him and that he was very receptive. While MSU has been a dark horse in his recruitment, it is clear State is not going away quietly

smootness
01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
I still think it's a long shot, but there seemed to be momentum heading in FSU's direction and now the loss of Pruitt has to have him re-thinking everything to some degree.

Obviously you would assume Bama, but if he was leaning toward FSU over them, maybe we can sneak in.

I would still put the chances somewhere around 3-5%, but we've done a fantastic job to still be in it.

starkvegasdawg
01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
If, HUGE if, we get him - does he play immediately or red shirt? I know he is one of the top 5 CB prospects out there but didn't know if everyone thought he would be able to crack the two deep this September or not.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I still think it's a long shot, but there seemed to be momentum heading in FSU's direction and now the loss of Pruitt has to have him re-thinking everything to some degree.

Obviously you would assume Bama, but if he was leaning toward FSU over them, maybe we can sneak in.

I would still put the chances somewhere around 3-5%, but we've done a fantastic job to still be in it.

Yeah...I just can't see the guy choosing us over those two schools. Hopefully with the 2015 class we have built up a rapport with some of the big recruits we are after. It doesn't seem like our staff is able or willing to do the things necessary to get recruits to change their mind at the last minute.

thf24
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
If, HUGE if, we get him - does he play immediately or red shirt? I know he is one of the top 5 CB prospects out there but didn't know if everyone thought he would be able to crack the two deep this September or not.

Play immediately. I don't think we'd be in it at this point if we've been telling him he'll redshirt.

smootness
01-17-2014, 09:17 AM

He would play immediately, and there is absolutely no question about that. If you land a kid like that, at a place like State, you have to play them right away, even if you may think it's in their, and your, best interests to redshirt them.

But even with our CB depth, he would definitely be in the rotation...Calhoun, Love, Redmond, Jiles, Humphrey.

BeastMan
01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I like how we've worked for him. Being on the final list for the top uncommitted defensive player in the country is a good thing. Just as important as being in the mix for Marlon specifically, is hitting Hoover really hard b/c they are loaded with big time talent the next few years.

msstate7
01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Announcing a big raise for Collins soon could help us with him also. Show him some stability.

archdog
01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
This guy will not redshirt.

bully99
01-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Question I have is why is an Alabama legacy player from Alabama not already committed to them.. That's strange.

ShotgunDawg
01-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Among playing on defense, this guy's biggest contribution, a a freshman, could be in the return game.

In the MS/AL all star game, MS wouldn't even pun or kick the ball to guy.

Raytoraid83
01-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Question I have is why is an Alabama legacy player from Alabama not already committed to them.. That's strange.
Because Alabama didn't offer his brother which upset his Dad, so they are letting the recruitment play out. Sounds like his family loves Mullen and respects all the work they are putting in on him. Just to be in the discussion is big.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 10:28 AM
We've worked our asses off, and Humphrey loves us. I just cant see him pulling the trigger.

Drugdog
01-17-2014, 10:33 AM
I would want to go to a place that WANTS me. Hopefully he can see past the Bama lure and go where his heart is telling him.
EVENTUALLY we are going to get a kid like this. This may be the time.

Saltydog
01-17-2014, 10:34 AM
this kid now...........I didn't think there was much of a chance to begin with........

smootness
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
We've worked our asses off, and Humphrey loves us. I just cant see him pulling the trigger.

Yep, and I read an article where his dad talked about the fact that he needs to pick a school, not a coach...said that in his own recruitment, if he had chosen a school based on a coach, he would have gone to Auburn, and that coach left the day after signing day.

Definitely a good job by his dad of teaching him lessons, but that may work against us. It was in relation to Pruitt leaving FSU, saying that doesn't really change anything, but I would imagine it is his relationship with our coaches that has us in it, and that could be the reason he eliminates us, assuming he believes in the program/school more at Alabama or FSU.

But we'll see.

smootness
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM
this kid now...........I didn't think there was much of a chance to begin with........

He really wasn't giddy. He just said that we made a presentation to Humphrey that was better than anything anybody else has come up with. He still said he expects Humphrey to go to Bama.

You can knock Steve for some things, and some of it is justified, but generally when he says a player is definitely coming to State or definitely not coming to State, he's right. He's been pretty consistent that Humphrey won't be at State.

slickdawg
01-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Buckles will be a Bulldog.

deltadawg99
01-17-2014, 10:51 AM
I think that us encouraging him to run track in college is also helping us. I doubt that Saban or Jimbo are thrilled with the idea.

IF by some miracle he does pick us, he plays from day 1. Even if it's just on special teams the kid sees the field. I'd let him return kicks and punts

HancockCountyDog
01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Im so sick and tired about this attitude that we are developing in recruiting regarding top flight recruits.

This attitude of "We don't need top recruits - we will just develop the 2 and 3 stars" is just crap. Chris Jones was the main difference on our DL this past year - guy was a playmaker. Beniquez Brown showed a ton of talent - both were 4 and 5 star recruits. We need big time talents to turn this team into SEC West contenders. Just because we can beat the bears with 2 and 3 star talent, doesn't mean shit. I don't want to just beat the bears every year and think we had a great year. That is a loser mentality that we have to get rid of.

Now, we can't contend every year, but players like Humphrey and Cory Thomas are guys we need to get on campus in order to contend for the SEC West at least once every 4 years.

smootness
01-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Im so sick and tired about this attitude that we are developing in recruiting regarding top flight recruits.

This attitude of "We don't need top recruits - we will just develop the 2 and 3 stars" is just crap. Chris Jones was the main difference on our DL this past year - guy was a playmaker. Beniquez Brown showed a ton of talent - both were 4 and 5 star recruits. We need big time talents to turn this team into SEC West contenders. Just because we can beat the bears with 2 and 3 star talent, doesn't mean shit. I don't want to just beat the bears every year and think we had a great year. That is a loser mentality that we have to get rid of.

Now, we can't contend every year, but players like Humphrey and Cory Thomas are guys we need to get on campus in order to contend for the SEC West at least once every 4 years.

O.....k.....

mic
01-17-2014, 11:20 AM
The best thing about this is.. Future Hoover U players.. The talent at Hoover U from top to bottom is head and shoulders better than the great South Panola...

Goat Holder
01-17-2014, 11:29 AM

You are absolutely correct in your assessment, if you take out the bitterness.

The problem is, too many of our fans want to blame the coaches for not being able to land them. A lot more goes into it than just begging a player to come to State in his living room. Everybody's cheating, so let's don't go there. We're fighting a history of losing, a smaller town and stadium, etc. Our recruiting has gotten better every year. So sure, we need to improve but let's not bash the coaches while we discuss it.

I will agree that we need to land more of the 4 and 5 star guys. Like I said the other day, C.J. Johnson and Jermaine Whitehead probably would make a big difference for us. But even moreso on the offensive side. Think about what a few 4 star WRs would do for us.....a 4 star OL or three.....make all the difference in the world.

Very dangerous to develop the attitude that we have now. We're satisfied because we beat Ole Miss. No doubt about that. Shit, we should EXPECT beat them at home.

sandwolf
01-17-2014, 11:36 AM
A follow-up post from Steve:

MSU's best efforts involve Geoff Collins, Deshea Townsend and MSU track coach Steve Dudley.

Coach Dudley has a long stranding relationship with the Humphreys. He, Mullen and the other football staffers went in with both guns blazing.

They sat down and detailed a plan for his career involving academics, track and football.

I understand Marlon and his parents were all very impressed with how organized the MSU presentation was and that it far exceeds anything anyone else has done to date.

It is nice to hear that our staff is able to put together a sales pitch that "far exceeds" anything that schools like Bama and FSU have presented......that is the type stuff we will have to do to stay in the game with guys like this.

smootness
01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
It is nice to hear that our staff is able to put together a sales pitch that "far exceeds" anything that schools like Bama and FSU have presented......that is the type stuff we will have to do to stay in the game with guys like this.

Yep, and I'm guessing it's mainly Collins driving this. I know Dudley is a good recruiter as well, but when we hired Collins I read several things that gave him a lot of credit for changing the recruiting philosophy/strategy at places like GT and Bama that led to greater interest from prospects in general. He seems like a creative guy that's able to think outside the box and impress recruits, a la the swag can for Humphrey.

We need to continue to find guys like this.

starkvegasdawg
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Glad we have the guys that can do that when the schools like Bama and FSU just hold out their hand and say look at all the national title rings I have on. I bet one or two on your hands would look mighty good four years from now.

defiantdog
01-17-2014, 12:10 PM
On a side note.... did hear from Bobby Humphrey that he really likes what we've done with our facilities. He told me its night and day from when he played against us. (He also bragged about the rushing yards he had against us - of course).

Bo Darville
01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Rosebowl's stance is this:

He thinks Marlon goes to Bama. He thinks we are 3rd behind Bama and Florida State. However, he thinks the only reason we are in it at all is that the staff has done a great job. He thinks Mullen, Deshea, Dudley, Collins, etc. have really done their homework and have really impressed Marlon and his family. We have stood toe-to-toe with the big boys for a national recruit. But he thinks family legacy, home-state, and Saban is just too much to overcome.

blacklistedbully
01-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Deshea flashes his Super bowl ring to Humprey and his family, mentions his success in college, pros, and as a coach in the NFL, then says to Marlon, "Son, I had a plan that took me to the highest level. It got me everything I asked for and more. I had coaches who helped me create and follow that plan, and that put me on the path to success. Now I want to make a plan for you. I want to guide you down the path of success I was able to follow. With your hard work and commitment, I want to see if we can get you one of these (raises fist that shows the ring)!

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
He really wasn't giddy. He just said that we made a presentation to Humphrey that was better than anything anybody else has come up with. He still said he expects Humphrey to go to Bama.

You can knock Steve for some things, and some of it is justified, but generally when he says a player is definitely coming to State or definitely not coming to State, he's right. He's been pretty consistent that Humphrey won't be at State.

Besides his part with the Will Redmond deal the biggest issue I have with Robertson is he always wants to be first on everything more that he wants to be right. Last year he wrongly jumped the gun saying the DB from FL (Alexander?) had committed to us on his visit and that seemed to end up hurting us on him as he eventually went to Clemson or somewhere. Wish he would verify things more concretely before he starts reporting it especially when he starts ticking kids off by stealing their thunder.

Goat Holder
01-17-2014, 12:28 PM
I was about to post the same thing. It's giving us great exposure to other area recruits.

But honestly, it shouldn't end at Hoover. We should be ALL OVER Birmingham. Talent everywhere. It's just as close to Starkville as Jackson.

mic
01-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I was about to post the same thing. It's giving us great exposure to other area recruits.

But honestly, it shouldn't end at Hoover. We should be ALL OVER Birmingham. Talent everywhere. It's just as close to Starkville as Jackson.

YES...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HancockCountyDog
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Deshea flashes his Super bowl ring to Humprey and his family, mentions his success in college, pros, and as a coach in the NFL, then says to Marlon, "Son, I had a plan that took me to the highest level. It got me everything I asked for and more. I had coaches who helped me create and follow that play, and that put me on the path to success. Now I want to make a plan for you. I want to guide you down the path of success I was able to follow. With your hard work and commitment, I want to see if we can get you one of these (raises fist that shows the ring)!

As long as Humphrey doesn't ask Deshea where he went to college to develop into an NFL player.

I kid, I kid.

Personally, I think we should be in great position to land Marlon, our coaching staff has been the same the entire recruitment, and we can offer immediate playing time. I just don't see how we aren't an extremely viable option for this kid.

Pollodawg
01-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Rosebowl's stance is this:

He thinks Marlon goes to Bama. He thinks we are 3rd behind Bama and Florida State. However, he thinks the only reason we are in it at all is that the staff has done a great job. He thinks Mullen, Deshea, Dudley, Collins, etc. have really done their homework and have really impressed Marlon and his family. We have stood toe-to-toe with the big boys for a national recruit. But he thinks family legacy, home-state, and Saban is just too much to overcome.

This. I am glad to see us working our ass for him. But I won't hold my breath.

HancockCountyDog
01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
With AU, LSU and AL all recruiting nationally more and more, our focus needs to be Alabama and LA.

We are bringing in the Sims kid this weekend, and we should be all over him. We need good young OL and Sims would be perfect. Same with Stallworth and Thomas. Three kids that either don't want to play in state or haven't been given an offer. Either way - they are perfect for us.

As for LA, we should be most recruits 2nd option - or at least strive to be. LA has been raided this year - and LSU usually only offers 12-14 in state kids, and there are normally 25-30 SEC caliber athletes in the state.

Political Hack
01-17-2014, 12:49 PM
"they blew my socks off" sounds like something an 18 year old superstar would say.***

smootness
01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
"they blew my socks off" sounds like something an 18 year old superstar would say.***

It does, though, sound like something a middle-aged recruiting writer would say. I don't think it was a quote.

AlSwearengen
01-17-2014, 01:03 PM
we need to find a five star corner that is not from alabama, maybe illinois and who's daddy is a ups delivery man, not a crimson tide legend to spend all of this energy on.

Political Hack
01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
It does, though, sound like something a middle-aged recruiting writer would say. I don't think it was a quote.

it wasn't. just not sure how to translate "blew his socks off" unless it came from him or his dad. I just find the headline writing funny at this time of year. it's simply to drum up hits.

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 01:14 PM
You are absolutely correct in your assessment, if you take out the bitterness.

The problem is, too many of our fans want to blame the coaches for not being able to land them. A lot more goes into it than just begging a player to come to State in his living room. Everybody's cheating, so let's don't go there. We're fighting a history of losing, a smaller town and stadium, etc. Our recruiting has gotten better every year. So sure, we need to improve but let's not bash the coaches while we discuss it.

I think the frustration at this point comes from the fact that even after the success under Mullen, the improvements in facilities and even improvements in Starkville we still seem to often not be recruiting as well rankings wise as even a lot of the other "non-power" SEC schools (i.e. OM, Ark, Ky, Vandy, Mizzou etc.). Not to say that we necessarily aren't but perception is reality sometimes. I think with the recruits OM has been pulling in under Freeze and then KY, which should have more issues recruiting than us, gets Stoops to come in and he is reeling in 4 star recruits right and left. I think its a mixture of things, true old perceptions don't die quickly relative to MSU and added to that our approach to compliance and the fact that we don't have a well organized "helping" system hurts us but I also think that Mullen's strength has never been recruiting and we don't really do a lot of the flashy things it takes to get some of the high profile recruits that are being wined and dined at big name programs every week. At some point though recruiting will have to come up a notch if Mullen ever expects to seriously contend in the SEC West any more than on rare occassions.

ShotgunDawg
01-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Paul Jones and Rosebowl have a been winking this morning about a secret prospect. Any guesses on who it could be?

Secondly, I don't think our staff would be putting forth the effort and passion in recruiting Humphrey unless they had some solid information that Humphrey is actually considering going here.

Thirdly, Humphrey's dad told Marlon to, "pick a school, and not a coach." This is why his visit is so important. Right now he may just be attracted to the coaches, but if that is enough to get him in for a visit, then he may become attracted to the school.

You never know if a kid will meet the girl of his dreams while on a visit. That is why whenever you get a kid on campus for a visit, you have a chance.

blacklistedbully
01-17-2014, 01:18 PM
As long as Humphrey doesn't ask Deshea where he went to college to develop into an NFL player.

I kid, I kid.

Personally, I think we should be in great position to land Marlon, our coaching staff has been the same the entire recruitment, and we can offer immediate playing time. I just don't see how we aren't an extremely viable option for this kid.

Kidding aside, I did consider that, as I said "coaches that helped", not "school that helped". But yeah, Bama has one helluva track record developing DB's. But we do too, and we now have Townsend. Hopefully that's enough to put us over-the-top against the odds.

I'm sure we're also pulling the, "Look how much our defense improved over the course of the year. We had one of the better defenses in the SEC, yet still have an opportunity for you to be the one that puts us over the top. Your contribution at MSU could result in something very special, even magical....something unprecedented. You can go to Bama and help them try to win another one, or you can come here and become part of a legend.

smootness
01-17-2014, 01:24 PM
We all want recruiting to continue to get better, and early signs look promising for 2015.

Count me among those who don't see what the big deal about Kentucky's class is. They have a QB from in-state and a few guys from Ohio (I assume somebody on their staff has good connections there) and other than that, it's just a decent, solid class. It's basically what we've been bringing in the last few years...nothing better or worse.

Goat Holder
01-17-2014, 01:24 PM
With AU, LSU and AL all recruiting nationally more and more, our focus needs to be Alabama and LA......Three kids that either don't want to play in state or haven't been given an offer. Either way - they are perfect for us........As for LA, we should be most recruits 2nd option - or at least strive to be.

I have been trumpeting this line forever.

Tough Dawg
01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Which kind of "talent" are you guys referring to, Mic? Barking Kudu talent or Hoover U talent?

GumpDawg
01-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Paul Jones and Rosebowl have a been winking this morning about a secret prospect. Any guesses on who it could be?

Elisha Shaw? Rosebowl said a DT so that would be my guess.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM

If it's a DT it's probably Taylor Stallworth.

HancockCountyDog
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Im hearing that it may be a Devaroe Lawrence, an AU commit - he is a DT at Georgia Military Academy.

smootness
01-17-2014, 03:02 PM
If it's a DT it's probably Taylor Stallworth.

He's talked openly about Stallworth for a while.

Coach34
01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
I think the frustration at this point comes from the fact that even after the success under Mullen, the improvements in facilities and even improvements in Starkville we still seem to often not be recruiting as well rankings wise as even a lot of the other "non-power" SEC schools (i.e. OM, Ark, Ky, Vandy, Mizzou etc.). Not to say that we necessarily aren't but perception is reality sometimes. I think with the recruits OM has been pulling in under Freeze and then KY, which should have more issues recruiting than us, gets Stoops to come in and he is reeling in 4 star recruits right and left. I think its a mixture of things, true old perceptions don't die quickly relative to MSU and added to that our approach to compliance and the fact that we don't have a well organized "helping" system hurts us but I also think that Mullen's strength has never been recruiting and we don't really do a lot of the flashy things it takes to get some of the high profile recruits that are being wined and dined at big name programs every week. At some point though recruiting will have to come up a notch if Mullen ever expects to seriously contend in the SEC West any more than on rare occassions.

As a 17-18 yr boy- what advantages do you see in Starkville over other places?

Party scene?
Women?
History of winning?
Facilities?
Large metropolitan area?
Entertainment?

maroonmania
01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
As a 17-18 yr boy- what advantages do you see in Starkville over other places?

Party scene?
Women?
History of winning?
Facilities?
Large metropolitan area?
Entertainment?

Just to put in context I don't thing ANYONE expects us to recruit at the level of the top SEC power programs (AL, LSU, FL, GA, etc.) yearly that's why I compared what we are doing with other SEC schools more equitable to our situation. But going down your list I think a disadvantage in facilities and 'history of winning' has been heavily negated when compared against everyone in the SEC except the very upper echelon. We have very good facilities overall especially with the stadium expansion and Mullen has shown he can win and at least get to NYD bowl games. Obviously we are not in a large metropolitan area but I'm not even sure that's not as much a disadvantage as an advantage depending on the recruit. I mean does being in the middle of Atlanta really help GT? For entertainment and party scene we probably are at a slight disadvantage for recruits big into that but there are certainly parties at MSU as there are at every university and we should do a better job on official visits working that area in with the Greeks as many have noted here. And MSU has some very nice looking ladies on campus like most universities but I wouldn't want us advocating actively supplying recruits with slutty women anyway if that's what its going to take to get them. Guess I just grew up with a different value system.

smootness
01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Im hearing that it may be a Devaroe Lawrence, an AU commit - he is a DT at Georgia Military Academy.

You are correct. It's him and he's on campus.

Not much of an exciting prospect, to be honest. A mid-year JUCO DT who seems to be decent? I'll take him but I can't see him making a big impact next year.