PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone with a meteorology background taken a look at the long term GFS model?

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2014, 01:13 PM
If my stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night was worth anything then it appears it is trying to show a major winter storm to close out January. Appears to show an arctic front coming through 1/27 dropping temps to low teens and then by 1/31 a major storm coming through with temps still hovering right at or just below freezing.

TheRef
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
If my stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night was worth anything then it appears it is trying to show a major winter storm to close out January. Appears to show an arctic front coming through 1/27 dropping temps to low teens and then by 1/31 a major storm coming through with temps still hovering right at or just below freezing.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a major arctic storm. I would say that we will have another cold snap like we had earlier this month. We may not get AS cold but we may be cold for longer with this system as the high pressure system that is associated with it will be locked in over the Atlantic. I have no idea of numbers, really no one does. Any attempt at temp values will be rendered useless. This is definitely something to watch out for in my opinion.

bully99
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Been seeing some weather sites talking about some weather even colder than what we went through last week and possibility of ice/snow in the south. Bastardi has been saying or hyping upcoming pattern with damage as bad as a big hurricane. Somebody should inform our administration to keep the heat on and wrap the pipes.

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say a major arctic storm. I would say that we will have another cold snap like we had earlier this month. We may not get AS cold but we may be cold for longer with this system as the high pressure system that is associated with it will be locked in over the Atlantic. I have no idea of numbers, really no one does. Any attempt at temp values will be rendered useless. This is definitely something to watch out for in my opinion.

I hope it pans out. I love cold weather but I love it a whole lot more when there is snow on the ground. No snow and I am content with some 60's and flowers starting to bloom.

Damn shame I don't have TWC channel any more to keep me up to date on life threatening weather. Where oh where I will get that information now. If only our local networks would devote some of their local news broadcast to weather. Maybe somebody could do something on the internet too. Or better yet, you would think the federal government would create some kind of weather service that would alert the media to what we can expect weather wise.

TheRef
01-16-2014, 01:49 PM
The weather may be worse for the NE than it will be for us. The center of the system will be located around OH/PA/NY rather than further to the WSW like last time. This means that we most likely won't have as cold of temperatures. Like I said earlier, however, this cold snap may be locked in a while longer than the last one with such a strong High pressure centered over the Atlantic and the NAO pushing negative.

messageboardsuperhero
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
As long as we have decent weather on opening day, I'll be alright.

slickdawg
01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
While there are suggestions in a long-range pattern change, don't put too much stock into models beyond 5 days. If this time next week the models show the same, then we are in trouble.

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
While there are suggestions in a long-range pattern change, don't put too much stock into models beyond 5 days. If this time next week the models show the same, then we are in trouble.

Oh I'm sure this time next week the models will show it sunny and 70 degrees with bluebirds starting to build nests and tulips blooming. Just nice to think about a chance of snow now.

DLGDawg
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
We need some major snow here in Mantee. What say you Mic

Pollodawg
01-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Dammit I hate the cold. Give me 75 all year long, and I am a happy mofo.