PDA

View Full Version : Nick Griffin

justwin
01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
how much does Milton leaving open the door for Nick? Yeah, I know he's currently 3rd on the depth chart, but I have to think Mullen is going to give him a legit shot in the spring and 2014 due to his loyalty to seniors. I also notice that he didn't wear the brace last year like he did in 2012 meaning he's over the injury mentally. People say he's lost a step, but tough to tell on the limited carries he received last 2 years.

Is he a candidate for a 6th year medical?

smootness
01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
I hope he gets a shot. We'll have plenty of talented RBs, but I want the best one to win the job, no matter who it is. I was really excited about Griffin's career, and he's been great to have in the program. I hope he still has something left to give; if he could get back to about 95% of what he was, he would be a great RB.

Johnson85
01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
how much does Milton leaving open the door for Nick? Yeah, I know he's currently 3rd on the depth chart, but I have to think Mullen is going to give him a legit shot in the spring and 2014 due to his loyalty to seniors. I also notice that he didn't wear the brace last year like he did in 2012 meaning he's over the injury mentally. People say he's lost a step, but tough to tell on the limited carries he received last 2 years.

Is he a candidate for a 6th year medical?

I don't think it makes that much of a difference barring injuries. He's competing against Robinson, Shumphert, and to a less extent Williams for significant carries. Milton being gone should give him more practice reps and maybe he gets some mop up duty earlier than he otherwise would have that allows him to prove he's completely back and deserves some carries, but I'm guessing if he can prove he deserves to take carries from Robinson or Shumpert, he would have beaten Milton out anyway.

BeastMan
01-16-2014, 11:44 AM
FB and H-back IMO. Think Justin Griffith type weapon.

hailmari
01-16-2014, 11:54 AM
I hope he gets more action. Funny guy, smart kid too. I wish we could've seen him have a healthier career.

engie
01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah -- I think he could be a monster in the Griffith role.

Great pass protection too...

BeastMan
01-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah -- I think he could be a monster in the Griffith role.

Great pass protection too...

There is plenty of need in the NFL for that role too. Griffith had a nice career.

War Machine Dawg
01-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Griff needs to be moved to FB. If you can't see that he's lost a step or two, even on his limited carries, I can't help you. You just see the explosion with some guys and it's noticeable when it isn't there. It just isn't there anymore with Griff. He still runs very hard and may be our best blocking back.

As mentioned above, he'd be perfect in a Justin Griffith type role. (Funny you guys mentioned that name, I was making that comparison in my mind just a few weeks ago.) Even with the step or two that he's lost, he'd still be very athletic for a FB and he has good hands. He doesn't have the prototype FB build like Prosch at Auburn, but I think he could be just as good or better as Prosch. Maybe not as quite as good as a blocker, but more athletic and a bigger threat receiving out of the backfield. He'd be one hell of a weapon at FB, and I've been rooting for that move to happen this offseason.

Plus, he seems like a team-first guy that'd do run through a wall trying to do whatever you asked him to do. And with the way he's fought back from two knee injuries shows how much he loves the game and wants to play. I think he'd embrace the role of FB whole-heartedly if we asked him to do that. If anyone has earned a position change to get onto the field more, it's 7. Dude is true maroon and will always be one of my favorite Dawgs with everything he's fought through just to play.

Bothrops
01-16-2014, 02:52 PM
FB is a good idea. I'm thinking he could a decent amount of carries in games 1, 2, and 3. If he's healthy, a good showing could help him get more in later games.

BeastMan
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I actually wrote something about this a while back
http://3rdand57.com/should-nick-griffin-move-to-fb/

preachermatt83
01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Nick Griffin is a picture of what you want out of a teammate. I wish he had the opportunity to have a healthy career. If he had he would have been an amazing sight to see. He is an absolute beast. At this point I agree with many of you, I would love to see him in a fullback hybrid type roll.

justwin
01-18-2014, 01:23 AM
It seems like we're never going to give him the ball to see what he can truly do.

I hope he gets a shot. We'll have plenty of talented RBs, but I want the best one to win the job, no matter who it is. I was really excited about Griffin's career, and he's been great to have in the program. I hope he still has something left to give; if he could get back to about 95% of what he was, he would be a great RB.

justwin
01-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Yeah but you have to use the weapon. I don't care what he's labeled, but 8ish touches a game could account for a td. I'd give him a tote up the gut every time within 4 yards of the goalline. He drove through lsu & bama LBs a few years back. Plus he can catch well.

FB and H-back IMO. Think Justin Griffith type weapon.

justwin
01-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Excellent write up, beast man. Food for thought ~ if nick got half the touches perk received the last few years that would be about 9-10/game as perk got ~21. Then give the rest to jrob to get him up to about 15. Then another 15-20between dak n shump. I'm going to be disappointed if they waste him again.

QUOTE=BeastMan;119210]I actually wrote something about this a while back
http://3rdand57.com/should-nick-griffin-move-to-fb/[/QUOTE]

BeastMan
01-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Excellent write up, beast man. Food for thought ~ if nick got half the touches perk received the last few years that would be about 9-10/game as perk got ~21. Then give the rest to jrob to get him up to about 15. Then another 15-20between dak n shump. I'm going to be disappointed if they waste him again.

QUOTE=BeastMan;119210]I actually wrote something about this a while back
http://3rdand57.com/should-nick-griffin-move-to-fb/[/QUOTE]

I can agree with all that regarding getting griff some of Perkins departed touches. Good point

Dawgfan77
01-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Slightly off topic but Justin was an offensive quality control guy last year for the Raiders. I like Knox a lot, but I think it would be pretty cool to bring Justin back as a RB coach or in some type of role within the program in the near future. Say what you will but it makes a difference when you have a coach that not only played and graduated from your school but also played and coached in the NFL recruiting for you

msstate7
01-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Slightly off topic but Justin was an offensive quality control guy last year for the Raiders. I like Knox a lot, but I think it would be pretty cool to bring Justin back as a RB coach or in some type of role within the program in the near future. Say what you will but it makes a difference when you have a coach that not only played and graduated from your school but also played and coached in the NFL recruiting for you

I like this idea. Still would like to see smoot join our staff sometime in the future

starkvegasdawg
01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
I like this idea. Still would like to see smoot join our staff sometime in the future

Put him in charge of recruit entertainment on their OV's. He can rent a yacht to sail on the tenn-tom.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
I love Smoot but he just has to much baggage to be hired, DUI recently, the whole love boat saga. Plus he lives in the DC area and has plenty of money. I dont see him being a 80 hr week guy, Moulds either for that matter.

BeastMan
01-18-2014, 11:16 AM
As much as I'd like to see Smoot, I agree his quality of life as a TV guy is probably too sweet to want to start coaching. Griffith on the other hand... Had no idea he was into coaching. Moving know to TE and let him be More involved with recruiting coordinating with Hughes and plugging Griff at RB coach could be cool.