PDA

View Full Version : Japanese takeover

FlabLoser
01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
The parent company of Laphoraig, Makers Mark, Knobb Creek, and Jim Beam has been bought by a Japanese company.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/01/13/suntory-of-japan-to-buy-maker-of-jim-beam-for-13-6-billion/

BeastMan
01-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Don't mess with my Beam!!

FlabLoser
01-16-2014, 10:58 AM
On the plus side, the Japanese company had Yamakazi scotch which might become more available here.

Political Hack
01-16-2014, 06:13 PM
it's good. I've made it one of my staples in my scotch bar.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Don't mess with my Beam!!

Or my Makers damnit.

Political Hack
01-16-2014, 11:34 PM
I doubt the screw with your makers, but they will more than likely screw Glenn Morangie which is aged in makers barrels.

Probably only 18-19 years left of that stuff now.

Bullmutt
01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Don't know how the hell I missed this thread, but I hate to hear this shit. Entirely too many of these "drinks" conglomerates are so much more about profitability than maintaining quality that I wouldn't be surprised to see them screw up several of the brands. This has especially been so regarding many of the formerly great names in wine.

FISHDAWG
01-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Papa-San say it's now gonna be Beam-Sokki

FlabLoser
01-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Don't know how the hell I missed this thread, but I hate to hear this shit. Entirely too many of these "drinks" conglomerates are so much more about profitability than maintaining quality that I wouldn't be surprised to see them screw up several of the brands. This has especially been so regarding many of the formerly great names in wine.

I'd like to know what happened to Old Charter. First the 12-year disappeared. Then the 10-year. We're down to just 8.

A liquor guy I know says the 12 and 10 is being repackaged as something else in another brand which will never be disclosed.

GlassFacedScum
01-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I saw that.. I use to be a jack guy but have became a vodka guy past few yrs

Political Hack
01-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Japanese have excellent quality scotch, better than Scotland in many cases. I think this was a strategic move by the Japanese to become the single best highlands scotch whiskey. Their climate is similar to thee highlands in Scotland so they had to find a way to beat Scotland in the highlands scotch game. From a business strategy it's brilliant. They purchase makers mark... and now own the barrels than Glenn Morangie, the most sold highland's scotch, is made it.

Do you think the Japanese company is going to sell their #1 competitor their barrels so they can continue to play 2nd fiddle in the scotch game? It's a hell of a business move and is really genius. Have to tip my hat to them.

Bullmutt
01-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Hack, you mentioned the word "highlands" several times. Is that the only geographical area of Scotland they are focused on and are competing with? I noticed Laphroiag was mentioned in the original post, and it is an Islay. The scotch from that area is most noted for heavily peated characteristics. Is there an area of Japan that produces scotch of similar character? Until now, I was not aware Japan was even involved in producing within this market.

Political Hack
01-24-2014, 12:05 AM
I haven't tasted any peaty scotch from japan which is why I didn't mention it. not to say it's not there, but the country is so small I doubt they have as many regions and options. The yamakazi (sp?) rivals the Morangie's and MaCallan's to me.

Bullmutt
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!