PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what Brett Farve was doing on campus today heard a rumor but cant

99jc
01-16-2014, 12:18 AM
confirm!

RougeDawg
01-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Maybe checking out potential dick pic recipients.**

smootness
01-16-2014, 12:25 AM
We're not hiring Brett Favre.

Will James
01-16-2014, 12:32 AM
We're not hiring Brett Favre.

Just thinking if we want to counter the OM media as we rise up to being really good, this could be the trick. NOBODY would confuse us anymore, we'd have ESPN pimping us, and he'd be a hell of a QB coach with the "OC" title.

I'm not against it.

smootness
01-16-2014, 12:42 AM
We really have no idea what kind of coach/recruiter he'd be. I wouldn't be a big fan of us hiring him, but it doesn't matter. Because we're absolutely not hiring him.

Dawg61
01-16-2014, 12:44 AM
I'd be for the hire because it'd give MSU tons of exposure and I think it'd help Dak's Heisman chances but I can see plenty of reasons to be against this hire so consider me torn on it.

Todd4State
01-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I'd rather have a good coach than a good publicity stunt.

RougeDawg
01-16-2014, 12:53 AM
We really have no idea what kind of coach/recruiter he'd be. I wouldn't be a big fan of us hiring him, but it doesn't matter. Because we're absolutely not hiring him.

And you know this because Dan told you on the course today? He's already expressed interest in coaching for us previously. This is the perfect fit. Two nfl pro bowlers on staff, One being a first ballot hall of gamer, along with Dans elevation of the program, would be one ducking hellacious recruiting machine in Mississippi and nearby states. Dan runs the O anyway, so why not bring in some of the heaviest artillery there is in the football world to finish off those arrogant ****s north of us? Come on people and open your eyes to the big picture. I know Favre through my cousin who played baseball with him at USM, and he wants to coach at higher levels than Oak Grove.

messageboardsuperhero
01-16-2014, 12:59 AM
And you know this because Dan told you on the course today? He's already expressed interest in coaching for us previously. This is the perfect fit. Two nfl pro bowlers on staff, One being a first ballot hall of gamer, along with Dans elevation of the program, would be one ducking hellacious recruiting machine in Mississippi and nearby states. Dan runs the O anyway, so why not bring in some of the heaviest artillery there is in the football world to finish off those arrogant ****s north of us? Come on people and open your eyes to the big picture. I know Favre through my cousin who played baseball with him at USM, and he wants to coach at higher levels than Oak Grove.

Maybe as a volunteer when his nephew was on the roster...

I don't think Favre has any interest in putting in the hours that an SEC coach would have to work- especially in recruiting.

Todd4State
01-16-2014, 01:01 AM

If Dan hires Favre, I'll trust Dan on that.

ckDOG
01-16-2014, 01:06 AM

+ ∞

CadaverDawg
01-16-2014, 01:08 AM

I think I'd rather have Relf than Favre as a coach for our offense. I'm only half kidding

Dawg61
01-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Would be the first time ESPN interviews the OC instead of the HC during games

TheDogFather
01-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Come on people and open your eyes to the big picture.

How funny is it that this statement was included in this post?

BeastMan
01-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Selling wranglers

Coach34
01-16-2014, 09:01 AM
I have a better chance of being hired than Farvuh does

smootness
01-16-2014, 09:07 AM

I know this because based on everything Mullen has ever done, it leads you to believe this is the last move we would make.

And no, he wouldn't automatically be a 'recruiting machine' just because his name is Brett Favre. There's a whole lot more that goes into it than that.

quickstrike2
01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
I can not see Favre being mildy interested in it. We have a good thing going, and have a good qb coming back, but that does not mean the Lane Kiffin's and Brett Favre's are begging to get our OC job.

Coach34
01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
we're not going to hire a west coast offense person anyway on top of the 100 other reasons we wouldnt hire Farvuh. I wouldnt be surprised if he hadnt finished his degree

CJDAWG85
01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
we're not going to hire a west coast offense person anyway on top of the 100 other reasons we wouldnt hire Farvuh. I wouldnt be surprised if he hadnt finished his degree

Completely agree

Sacrifice
01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
I could be wrong but I just don't see Favre wanting to sit in a kids living room giving him the "come to state" sales pitch. Watching him at oak groove it looks like he just wants to run the offense and hunt deer...

Saltydog
01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
you're going to be awestruck........From all accounts, the kids down at Oak Grove absolutely love him and respect him.......

starkvegasdawg
01-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Ok, here is the reason he was up here. I didn't want to say anything but since the thread is still seeing action. When facilities was cleaning up the locker room they found one of Dylan's old jock straps that had fallen between lockers. He refused to come back and pick it up because of hard feelings. Farve came up to this part of the state to shop at Mossy Oak in West Point and Dylan shot him a text to swing by and pick it up for him.

smootness
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
You might be awestruck, but it's still going to come down to his recruiting pitch. If he isn't good at selling himself and the program, and coaches from other big-time schools are, he still won't be a great recruiter. There's never been anyone who can just show up in a house and get someone because of who they are.

I'm sure kids are awestruck when Nick Saban shows up in their home, too.

SallyStansbury
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
I agree with Smootness here. Dan, and people with Dan's personality type, will likely hire someone he "knows" or promote from within largely because that person will be indebted to him and more likely to STF and allow Dan to do his thing, and coach special teams.

I would rather have someone who buys in to Dan's way of doing things but who could provide a meaningful ying to Dan's yang. Maybe Gonzales can be that guy? But I worry that Dan may become even more predictable on 1st down, run Dak too much....getting him hurt, and on an on. What we must have is a stout defense to balance or overcompensate for our conservative offensive strategy.

I hope Collins will be compensated very soon because without a superior defense and his excellent coaching things could have ended very differently this past year.

TheRef
01-16-2014, 10:25 AM
http://matchstic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/brett-favre-wrangler-jeans-ad-277x300.jpeg

Coach34
01-16-2014, 10:32 AM
What we must have is a stout defense to balance or overcompensate for our conservative offensive strategy.

We were 5th in the SEC in pass attempts. I hardly call that conservative. Steve Spurrier and SC were 6th if that tells you anything

smootness
01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
I see the opposite, I don't think we'll be conservative at all this year. You saw us really open up the playbook late last year with Dak, and I think that will continue. There's not a play in Mullen's playbook he won't be able to run next year. We'll have the power RBs, the running QB who can power it up the middle, the little, speedy slot guy who has now proven he can get it done, and big outside targets...along with several good TEs and a couple of guys who can play the H-back/FB role if necessary (Samuel, Hutcherson, Griffin, Shumpert). And Dak has a good enough arm to make all the throws he needs to as well.

And there is always a fine line. You want coaches who will challenge you and won't just be 'yes men'. But you also don't want dysfunction or coaches who can't ever get on the same page.

I doubt Koenning was someone who really went against the grain much, so Mullen may bring in someone who will, who knows. But I agree, I think he'll promote Gonzales, which is fine with me. You do want a cohesive strategy, you just want someone who will tell you when he thinks we should be doing something different - and based on Gonzales' personality, he can probably do that.

joedog
01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Being recorded for ESPN later tonight.

http://s12.postimg.org/wg9i47twd/favremsstate.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

CadaverDawg
01-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Well done, joedog

http://conservatives4palin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/well_done_sir.gif

Jack Lambert
01-16-2014, 11:19 AM

How do you know he would not be a good coach? Everyone has to be given that first chance.

Bully13
01-16-2014, 11:43 AM
How do you know he would not be a good coach? Everyone has to be given that first chance.

exactly Jack. how's he doing at oak grove? I think all these negative comments are from people who want to be internet cool; any Bulldog saying they wouldn't be excited about him joining our coaching staff is lying

maroonmania
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Based on what I know about Mullen's personality and Favre's personality I just can't see them co-existing on the same staff primarily working in the same area (running the offense). You would have 2 alphas clashing at every turn. Mullen really needs a guy, sort of like a Koenning, that is good at teaching and developing QBs and helping to game plan but doesn't mind taking a back seat on game day.

smootness
01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
exactly Jack. how's he doing at oak grove? I think all these negative comments are from people who want to be internet cool; any Bulldog saying they wouldn't be excited about him joining our coaching staff is lying

It has nothing to do with being 'internet cool'. It has everything to do with not wanting us to be the ones to give him his 'first chance'.

I disagree with those who say we're above taking a Sun Belt coordinator; if they've done really well on that level, I think they've proven they can get it done and we may think they're legitimately the best candidate for the job. But we still aren't giving them their first chance.

I agree, we don't know that he wouldn't be a good coach, but we definitely don't know that he would. So why in the world would we take the chance? Because there's certainly a chance it would be a disaster.

He was a HS assistant coach for one year, and we really have no idea how much he did while he was there or any clue at all what kind of recruiter/worker he would be. No, I don't want someone in that position to take an important spot on our staff.

Op4isabitch
01-16-2014, 11:59 AM
He was just in town visiting Dylan's baby momma.

thunderclap
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
So Favre's gonna give up golf, his couple hundred acres, having everybody in Forrest County kiss his ass, to move to Starkville and work 10 hour days as an SEC OC?

Coach34
01-16-2014, 12:04 PM

That's a crock

Farvuh is not someone that is going to drive all over Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana talking to coaches about players
He is not going to spend hours a day calling and texting recruits
Then he has to watch film and evaluate recruits
He also has to build databases on each recruit with personal notes
Meet with Mullen and the other coaches
He also has to watch film of his own players- looking for things to make them better
He also has to talk with other coaches to share ideas
He would have to make personal appearances at functions

Oh, and then there is that family thing he has at home

No way a millionaire retired from the NFL commits to working 70 hrs/week college football requires

Jack Lambert
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
It has nothing to do with being 'internet cool'. It has everything to do with not wanting us to be the ones to give him his 'first chance'.

I disagree with those who say we're above taking a Sun Belt coordinator; if they've done really well on that level, I think they've proven they can get it done and we may think they're legitimately the best candidate for the job. But we still aren't giving them their first chance.

I agree, we don't know that he wouldn't be a good coach, but we definitely don't know that he would. So why in the world would we take the chance? Because there's certainly a chance it would be a disaster.

He was a HS assistant coach for one year, and we really have no idea how much he did while he was there or any clue at all what kind of recruiter/worker he would be. No, I don't want someone in that position to take an important spot on our staff.

Yeah too bad we had that same attitude with Steve Spurrier many years ago.

Bamboo
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
This is exactly right. If in some miracle we were able to land Brett Favre, it would be an absolute grand slam. The heart, passion and spirit he possesses is greater than any other. He is a winner and the enthusiasm he exudes is contagious! Recruiting would be x1000 what it is now.

mparkerfd20
01-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Just their girlfriends and/or mommas.

Bully13
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
That's a crock

Farvuh is not someone that is going to drive all over Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana talking to coaches about players
He also has to watch film of his own players- looking for things to make them better

No way a millionaire retired from the NFL commits to working 70 hrs/week college football requires

I didn't say it was likely or even if there was a remote possibility. the reasons you list as to why it won't happen are accurate. I'm just disputing those who say it would not be a home run for us. If he wanted to, which I doubt he would, I'm sure he would understand how much time and effort would be involved.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Are we the only fanbase in the country that falls for the "NFL Hall-of-Fame player soon to be announced as our next assistant coach" rountine everytime? I know the bears fall for the likes of Tony Dungy and Jon Grunden to be their next coach everytime they have a vacant head coach position, but at least these are actual coaches for that position. What is sad is we fall for it for someone who is not actively coaching that position and, more importantly, has no connection to the school.

cristilmethod
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
I can't stop laughing at how far this has evolved, all from something I wrote at FWtCT as satire.

99jc
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
not hardly your a legend in your own mind brett was here yesterday

cristilmethod
01-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Okie dokie

smootness
01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah too bad we had that same attitude with Steve Spurrier many years ago.

?

Jack Lambert
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
?

When Miss State hired Rocky back in the early to mid 80's he interviewed for the job and we hired Rocky. Steve ended up at Duke and carried them to a bowl game while we sat at home.

He would have ended up at Florida any ways so it did not matter. Rocky did give us five good games.

Coach34
01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
When Miss State hired Rocky back in the early to mid 80's he interviewed for the job and we hired Rocky. Steve ended up at Duke and carried them to a bowl game while we sat at home.

He would have ended up at Florida any ways so it did not matter. Rocky did give us five good games.

It was my understanding that Spurrier didnt interview- he called about the job but we never called him back

Jack Lambert
01-16-2014, 03:28 PM
It was my understanding that Spurrier didnt interview- he called about the job but we never called him back

I heard it that way also it just too far back to really check but either way we did not give him a chance. You really never know who is going to pan out. Didn't Malzahn get his first oppertunity to coach D-I ball simply because of that hot shot QB he coach in highschool everyone wanted to sign? Can't remmeber his name. I think his name had something to do with a young horse.

TexasDawg
01-16-2014, 03:31 PM
I heard it that way also it just too far back to really check but either way we did not give him a chance. You really never know who is going to pan out. Didn't Malzahn get his first oppertunity to coach D-I ball simply because of that hot shot QB he coach in highschool everyone wanted to sign? Can't remmeber his name. I think his name had something to do with a young horse.

Mitch Mustain

smootness
01-16-2014, 03:34 PM

I wasn't talking about a 'first chance' in D1, I just meant a first chance to prove himself on any level as a coach. There's not a team in the SEC, and probably not one in all of D1 football, that would hire someone whose entire coaching experience is one year as an assistant in HS. That was my point.

Bamboo
01-16-2014, 03:47 PM
I heard on good authority that he is here to see Two Chains perform tonight. Ahhhhhhyeaaaah

bully99
01-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Imagine we could have had Spurrier and Roy Williams. Williams was offered the state job and turned it down. Said we had too many rebel flags on campus.

HancockCountyDog
01-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Based on what ive read on the internets, im not sure we want favre texting our recruits.

esplanade91
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
We can pay him in farm land. He'd take it.

Op4isabitch
01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Based on what ive read on the internets, im not sure we want favre texting our recruits.

How do you "Read" pictures?

Have you been pecker peaking?

thf24
01-16-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd be a little worried about Favre coaching QBs. I can hear him now... "Ok boys, all you do is just look across the field, find the triple coverage, and force it right in there as hard as you can."

Dallas_Dawg
01-16-2014, 05:12 PM
The two people on here saying that Favre is a possibility are giving the Bear trolls a lot of good laughs.
This thread should be locked.

preachermatt83
01-16-2014, 05:23 PM
That's a crock

Jim Harbaugh disagrees .

Op4isabitch
01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Deshea says Hi.

preachermatt83
01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Deshea says Hi.

lol +1

hells bells
01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Maybe checking out potential dick pic recipients.**

Since USM does not have a football team now he needs somewhere to go see college football. Hunt'en good to, the rut is on.

Saltydog
01-16-2014, 07:00 PM
nt

Dawg61
01-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Half the country thinks he played for MSU anyways.

esplanade91
01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Based on what I know about Mullen's personality and Favre's personality I just can't see them co-existing on the same staff primarily working in the same area (running the offense). You would have 2 alphas clashing at every turn. Mullen really needs a guy, sort of like a Koenning, that is good at teaching and developing QBs and helping to game plan but doesn't mind taking a back seat on game day.
Favre is an assistant coach on a high school team. They were already a good team before he showed up. If that doesn't say backseat I don't know what does.