PDA

View Full Version : Thomas being aggressive to the basket early

MetEdDawg
01-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Hasn't made any baskets, but that's what we need to see from him. The outside shot isn't falling, so he has to find ways to contribute. Driving to the basket is one of them.

bully99
01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
This team has no shooters. Cecil Hurt sportswriter in Alabama said this is the smallest State BAMA crowd in 25 years.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 08:24 PM
FTF buried a 3-ball to get us going a little. Releford is going to be the difference in this game it looks like

MetEdDawg
01-15-2014, 08:29 PM
FTF just got another one to cut the Bama lead to 1

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Gotta guard Releford. Shit, he's all they've got. Don't leave him open! Frustrating

Coach34
01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
played good for 30 seconds and then Releford with the pass- shit

Drugdog
We want the Bear!!

Coach34
Ready has a headache and cant play....holy shit

Coach34
01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
We want the Bear!!

He has practiced maybe once- I wouldnt count on it

Drugdog
01-15-2014, 08:40 PM
We need to "Ware" their ass off on the inside

Drugdog
01-15-2014, 08:41 PM
FTF with a Slam!!

Coach34
01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
getting Ware back involved is huge for us

Drugdog
01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
C34,
Why would Bear travel with the team and not play?

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Damn, that was an awful sequence for FTF there. Really bad.

thedawg
01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
I love how hard and scrappy we play but damn we don't have anyone that can create a shot and score... Its frustrating to watch... We are doing all we can just no one with developed offensive skills

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Our interior defense on a drive, is atrocious. We just step back and swat at it as they blow by

Drugdog
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
We r getting some ticky tack fouls called on us.

TopDog58
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
I love how hard and scrappy we play but damn we don't have anyone that can create a shot and score... Its frustrating to watch... We are doing all we can just no one with developed offensive skills

A white boy academy team would school ours in a shooting contest.

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Not understanding why we aren't passing to Tyson...with his shooting skills and all.*

Coach34
01-15-2014, 08:54 PM
C34,
Why would Bear travel with the team and not play?

Just to keep him involved with the team. We have other walk-ons that travel and hardly ever play also. Dallas Carter to name one

MSUDawg4Life
01-15-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't mind watching this team. I like the way they play hard. Like the team defense. We're just lacking in several areas. Front court depth and shooting primarily. This would be a totally different game if we could have just hit some of those shots.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
The two offensive fouls when we had closed the gap were huge and led to another run by Bama

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
1 minute left and all 3 bigs have 2 fouls apiece and the announcer is joking that we have to play Fred as the PF. Our 6'6 Mr. Basketball PF is just chilling on the bench. Jacoby Davis offers nothing too. Use his scholi on a lights out 3 point Juco.

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Roquez decides before he ever gets the ball if he is going to shoot. If the answer is yes, watch the **** out....because it will either be a crazy, bad ass looking, reverse layup from underneath the basket, or a total cluster **** of a train wreck that seems to last 4 minutes.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Borchert is a good shooting guard trapped in slow power forward body

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Borchert has as much touch as Venis de Milo

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:17 PM
I will throw a party the day after Releford leaves Bama. He's been there for a decade.

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I will throw a party the day after Releford leaves Bama. He's been there for a decade.

He's a punk

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Next year they get Bear's PG from HS

tcdog70
01-15-2014, 09:23 PM
What has happened to basketball in the SEC, pitiful crowds everywhere. Jamont Gordon would score thirty points a night with the way they are calling fouls. Watch some of the Tenn. game , there's nobody there.

thf24
01-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Our 6'6 Mr. Basketball PF is just chilling on the bench. Jacoby Davis offers nothing too.

Yep, our more like 6'4.5", 215 lb PF who's been with the team less than two weeks at most and could not possibly have a solid grasp on how he's supposed to move and rotate on both offense and defense yet (which would lead to crowding and breakdowns on both ends) is just chilling on the bench, right where he needs to be. Don't get me wrong, I've changed my opinion on Bear playing in that I'd like to see what he can do with his athleticism since he was told he'd be able to play. But to think that he'd even be able to play significant minutes without causing us harm, much less dominate and be a major factor as your posts before the game indicated you expected, is absurd. I won't claim with certainty that we won't see him tonight, but if we do, the game will have long been decided one way or another.

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Ease off Sally I was just excited he made the trip

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
yeah, as I've been saying- it's going to be a couple of weeks before we will see anything other than garbage minutes from him...he doesnt know anything yet

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Borchert doing anything other than shooting a 3 is a waste

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Bear is in the game

MSUDawg4Life
01-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Bear sighting.

messageboardsuperhero
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
We need to get Cunningham to the line more- no joke.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Wilson got abused on the fake- but good to see him in during garbage time. Freshmen has to learn

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Our defensive plan for Releford is non-existent.

Drugdog
01-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Horrible non call. Bama players foot was out if bounds by a foot with the ref standing on top of it and no call.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
No IJ Ready gave us no chance tonight. We have to have him on the floor- Bloodman doesnt give us anything offensively

messageboardsuperhero
01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
I would've popped those Bama players in the mouth that jumped off the bench.

I know it was irrelevant, but how was that not a technical foul? I guess the refs just wanted to end the game.

MSUDawg4Life
01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Yep. It was a totally different game with IJ in there.

We just need more talent. And work on shooting. Desperately.

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 10:03 PM
No IJ Ready gave us no chance tonight. We have to have him on the floor- Bloodman doesnt give us anything offensively

We have the worst luck the last 2 years with this stuff. Did he get a concussion? Must of been a nasty headache to keep him out the rest of the game.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Yep. It was a totally different game with IJ in there.

We just need more talent. And work on shooting. Desperately.

These guys could shoot all day. Their lack of athleticism is what will always keep them from getting better shots to knock down. Borchert is a 6'8 spot up shooter and thats all. Bloodman is a juco player.

bully99
01-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Would be shocked if we won a road game this year.

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
We should beat @Vandy. They have 7 scholarship players now.

MarketingBully01
01-15-2014, 10:40 PM
With no Ready, we were bound to get blown out.

tcdog70
01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Not meaning to be critical, just saying. I never see a alley oop dunk that is set up by a screen. Or a backdoor cut. Or a play to get a three point shooter a shot(you know like Ravern, Super D and Timmy use to run). I also notice that we have trouble with in-bounds plays. Just wondering when the excellent Xs and Os will Start. Also Bama Has One really good player and we constantly let Him either drive to the basket or shoot an unmolested 3. We do play with effort and we do get a lot of steals but I would prefer stopping the ball and blocking out on rebounds. I was happy to see Ware have a good game. If someone could shoot he would be more effective.

Raytoraid83
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Not meaning to be critical, just saying. I never see a alley oop dunk that is set up by a screen. Or a backdoor cut. Or a play to get a three point shooter a shot(you know like Ravern, Super D and Timmy use to run). I also notice that we have trouble with in-bounds plays. Just wondering when the excellent Xs and Os will Start. Also Bama Has One really good player and we constantly let Him either drive to the basket or shoot an unmolested 3. We do play with effort and we do get a lot of steals but I would prefer stopping the ball and blocking out on rebounds. I was happy to see Ware have a good game. If someone could shoot he would be more effective.

Ray is a great X&O's coach how can you question his offense?!?!?***

MSUDawg4Life
01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Ray is a great X&O's coach how can you question his offense?!?!?***

Yep. He's almost as good as the all-time great X&O coach, Rick Stansbury!************************

Coach34
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM

1. We dont have a player to alley-oop to
2. Our best 3-point shooter is Borchert- we dont need to have plays to set up 3's. We do a very good job of driving into the paint and kicking the ball out- Fred hit a couple 3-balls on that last night.
3. Backdoor cut? aGAIN, we arent having any trouble getting to the basket. You cant backdoor a zone defense either- which we see alot of.
4. Trouble with inbounds? We scored 4-5 times against Kentucky on inbounds plays. Since then, OM and Bama were working hard to prevent that.
5. Releford hit six 3's last night- 1 was when we got caught in a switch and he was being guarded by Ware, 2 others were when another player had penetrated-forcing the D to drop inside and help- and then they kicked it out to Releford. Nothing could have been done in those 3 situations.
6. You said "If someone could shoot he would be more effective" but also want us to run plays to get 3-point shots? That's like saying you want Mullen to design running plays for Tyler Russell.

Coaching is not our problem. Youth and lack of talent is.

trob115
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
If you add a consistent deep threat and another solid post man, we are a top 5 SEC team this year. That's not saying a whole lot, but the bare bones are there. Hopefully we can add a good shooter with applewhite's scholarship from the juco ranks.

tcdog70
01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
1. We dont have a player to alley-oop to
2. Our best 3-point shooter is Borchert- we dont need to have plays to set up 3's. We do a very good job of driving into the paint and kicking the ball out- Fred hit a couple 3-balls on that last night.
3. Backdoor cut? aGAIN, we arent having any trouble getting to the basket. You cant backdoor a zone defense either- which we see alot of.
4. Trouble with inbounds? We scored 4-5 times against Kentucky on inbounds plays. Since then, OM and Bama were working hard to prevent that.
5. Releford hit six 3's last night- 1 was when we got caught in a switch and he was being guarded by Ware, 2 others were when another player had penetrated-forcing the D to drop inside and help- and then they kicked it out to Releford. Nothing could have been done in those 3 situations.
6. You said "If someone could shoot he would be more effective" but also want us to run plays to get 3-point shots? That's like saying you want Mullen to design running plays for Tyler Russell.

Coaching is not our problem. Youth and lack of talent is.

1. Flat Top Fred and Johnson can dunk-shit we used to run it for Timmy and Zimmerman, Jamont, and Ravern
2. You mean IJ can't run that Play--If you have noticed he can shoot a 3
3.I saw us drive to the basket and have trouble finishing. A backdoor cut , if it works is usually a layup
4.So how about another inbounds play--do we just have 1.
5.nothing could be done--bullshit-then there were the other 3 wideass open shots
6.so what are you saying-Just quit shooting threes? And if you notice I said "IF". If you don't at least attempt to shoot a three Ware will be doubled teamed.

smootness
01-16-2014, 03:47 PM
1. Flat Top Fred and Johnson can dunk-shit we used to run it for Timmy and Zimmerman, Jamont, and Ravern
2. You mean IJ can't run that Play--If you have noticed he can shoot a 3
3.I saw us drive to the basket and have trouble finishing. A backdoor cut , if it works is usually a layup
4.So how about another inbounds play--do we just have 1.
5.nothing could be done--bullshit-then there were the other 3 wideass open shots
6.so what are you saying-Just quit shooting threes? And if you notice I said "IF". If you don't at least attempt to shoot a three Ware will be doubled teamed.

1. One of our primary issues on offense is a lack of alley-oops in the halfcourt. Mmk, seems reasonable. I see a lot of teams rely on this.**

2. What C34 was saying is that we can get open looks from behind the arc. That isn't really the problem. The problem is, we miss them.

3. We don't run the Princeton offense, we run the motion offense. When run correctly, some guys will get open sometimes on a backdoor cut. But it isn't what our offense is built around. And it ignores the fact that a lot of times we see zone (which leads to the open 3-point looks and also makes it more difficult to screen). And we have trouble finishing on fast breaks; you think just because we have a layup we'll make it? As C34 said, we can get to the basket, we just have to finish better. Backdoor cuts, when run well, get you to the basket; they don't make it easier to finish.

4. So we need every inbounds play to be an easy basket or else our coach can't coach x's and o's. Got it. I mean, you generally see teams just repeatedly score immediately off inbounds plays. A large majority aren't just thrown way out to get it to somebody open.**

5. Releford is a good player who had a hot hand. No, we did not play very good defense on him. I was disappointed in that. So based on one game by Releford, Ray can't coach? I've seen plenty from him to think it was not about scheme and everything to do with execution last night.

6. We don't need to shoot more 3's with this team. Not at all.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-16-2014, 04:14 PM

nitpicking here because I don't really disagree with your overall premise, but your #3 is just flat wrong. With proper ball movement and player spacing, back door cuts and/or back door lobs/alley-oops behind the zone are staples of zone offense

Coach34
01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
nitpicking here because I don't really disagree with your overall premise, but your #3 is just flat wrong. With proper ball movement and player spacing, back door cuts and/or back door lobs/alley-oops behind the zone are staples of zone offense

You can get a back side lob- I didnt say you couldnt. But you arent going to get a back door cut vs zone unless it's Valley you're playing.
The lob is there because you are throwing OVER the defense- ...and you have to throw OVER them because they are there in the paint...the back door cut isnt there because you have people there in the paint. They arent overplaying the wings

Dawg61
01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Ready is our best 3point shooter and ONLY 3point shooter. Both Borchert and Thomas suck something awful at shooting 3s and both have 70+ attempts on the season at under .30% made. That's terrible! Ready is shooting close to .50% with 50 LESS ATTEMPTS. Where's the coaching on this? It's very very simple. The only player that should be allowed to shoot 3s right now is Ready. All other shots must be funneled through Ware or Sword first before attempting a shot by anyone else. If the team would just stick to those two rules .90% of the possessions we'd be a much better offensive team. Ray's inability to develop shooting and inability to recruit any good shooters is mind blowing. Atleast have the ability to identify your 3 best scoring options. Please. It's not rocket engineering. Borchert almost breaks the rim every time he shoots the ball. He has zero touch which is amazing that he's able to shoot ft well. He throws the ball at the rim so ****ing hard it sounds like a grenade explodes.

Coach34
01-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Borchert shot almost 34% last year from 3. He can shoot it decently- he's just off to a slow start.

Dawg61
01-16-2014, 06:23 PM
He shoots the ball way way too hard. Just watch how violently it bounces off the rim. He needs to stay off the roids or lift weights till he can't raise his arms right before the game. Haha

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-17-2014, 10:05 AM
You can get a back side lob- I didnt say you couldnt. But you arent going to get a back door cut vs zone unless it's Valley you're playing.
The lob is there because you are throwing OVER the defense- ...and you have to throw OVER them because they are there in the paint...the back door cut isnt there because you have people there in the paint. They arent overplaying the wings

A lob to a player cutting to the goal behind the defense is pretty much how I would define a "back door cut" - i.e. the player "cuts" to the goal from the "back" side. Also, getting the ball to a player filling the elbow will draw the zone defense towards him, and if the backside guy in the bottom 3 turns the wrong way a "back door cut" from the backside wing player may very well be wide open for any sort of pass. Zones are also not always "pack the paint" either. Often times you will see teams be very aggressive in zone defenses, trapping the ball in the corners and trying to force the action.

The point being simply that is not accurate to say that back door cuts are not effective or possible against a zone defense. Do they work more effectively against an overplaying man defense? Sure they do, but part of any good offense, whether man or zone, is to make the defense play their assignments perfectly and to take advantage of any lapse in those defensive assignments. That is part of what always frustrated me with Coach Stansbury's teams (and even now when we stand around on offense). If our guys are just standing around on offense, we are doing absolutely nothing to make the defense work and will never be in position to take advantage of a defensive breakdown.

tcdog70
01-17-2014, 11:54 AM
A lob to a player cutting to the goal behind the defense is pretty much how I would define a "back door cut" - i.e. the player "cuts" to the goal from the "back" side. Also, getting the ball to a player filling the elbow will draw the zone defense towards him, and if the backside guy in the bottom 3 turns the wrong way a "back door cut" from the backside wing player may very well be wide open for any sort of pass. Zones are also not always "pack the paint" either. Often times you will see teams be very aggressive in zone defenses, trapping the ball in the corners and trying to force the action.

The point being simply that is not accurate to say that back door cuts are not effective or possible against a zone defense. Do they work more effectively against an overplaying man defense? Sure they do, but part of any good offense, whether man or zone, is to make the defense play their assignments perfectly and to take advantage of any lapse in those defensive assignments. That is part of what always frustrated me with Coach Stansbury's teams (and even now when we stand around on offense). If our guys are just standing around on offense, we are doing absolutely nothing to make the defense work and will never be in position to take advantage of a defensive breakdown.

Nicely Done!

Coach34
01-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Well, again, throwing the ball over the defense is not what people are talking about when they say "back door cut"

And when you get the ball into the elbow area, the defense immediately retreats back into the paint. And unless you are playing Valley- you arent getting that back door cut for an easy lay-up vs zone. Take the Bama game for example- anytime the ball got into the middle of the zone, both teams drew in tight, and open 3's were made. FTF got 3 shots from 3 like that- making 2. Releford was 2 for 2 when Bama did it.

I like the back door cut, but it's not gonna happen unless you are playing an over-aggressive man-2-man