PDA

View Full Version : OC candidates

DawgPoundRock
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Im thinking Jay Johnson from ULL or maybe Troys OC would be pretty good hires. What say you guys?

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I want someone who knows how to RTGDFB. We need the right fit here, not just a guy that has run a successful spread that could've been based on different objectives.

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Pete Roussel has already weighed in:

With the departure of Les Koenning, it will be interesting to see how Dan Mullen proceeds. Will Mullen call the plays next year? Or will he hire a new offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach who will come in and call plays? Don’t be surprised if Mullen targets Louisiana-Lafayette offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Jay Johnson or Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Frank Scelfo, whom Mullen reached out to a couple of years ago.
New York Giants: According to the Newark Star-Ledger, running backs coach Jerald Ingram will not return. The New York Post reports veteran tight ends coach Mike Pope, who was not retained, is not looking to retire.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Dan Mullen is going to remain the OC just like the last 5 years
I think Billy Gonzales gets an OC title of some sort
Hire a QB coach

No inside info- just gut feeling

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Marcus Wood from EMCC runs spread offense up tempo scores 60+ points per game averages around 500-600 yards per game need more info on this guy youtube EMCC football highlights. And they have had some studs on the offensive side of the ball!! I mean really Lacolton Bester that played at OU Blount who is currently with the New England Patriots now just a thought. That is who I would like to see us go after but I doubt it Happens

engie
01-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Johnson would make sense.

Scelfo would as well if he were just going to coach QBs basically and we were adding another recruiter somewhere else. I doubt his recruiting prowess -- although his QB pedigree speaks for itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Scelfo

4 straight NFL QBs. At Tulane. Plus Foles at Arizona...

Saltydog
01-15-2014, 12:38 PM
nt

Coach34
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Even though he is Bobby Hall's son- Will Hall wouldnt be a bad choice. Coach's kids usually turn out to be pretty good ones themselves

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
why the man has 2 National Title rings and has won state 3 Times... You must have not seen this offense. I can tell you first hand this offense is always a ticking bomb waiting to go off. I see and here people complain all the time we dont score enough points every game well here is your chance to hire somebody is not scared to score more than 28 points every game. This guys offense scored 90 points in one game this year and in case you didnt know is a Record not only for just the state of mississippi but IN all of the NJCAA. And did all these things in the toughest division of NJCAA football. He can get athletes to play for him all he has to do is show those rings to players they will come

MSUDawg4Life
01-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Marcus Wood from EMCC runs spread offense up tempo scores 60+ points per game averages around 500-600 yards per game need more info on this guy youtube EMCC football highlights. And they have had some studs on the offensive side of the ball!! I mean really Lacolton Bester that played at OU Blount who is currently with the New England Patriots now just a thought. That is who I would like to see us go after but I doubt it Happens

^^^ This. I think he'd be an asset in recruiting also.

The OC from Troy would be my second choice.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
NeshobaChuck likes Marcus Wood I think

01-15-2014, 12:53 PM
NeshobaChuck likes Marcus Wood I think

Def has wood for Wood.

Saltydog
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
about offense or schemes, he always calls Will.......Plus, he's always ran a similar offense..........Plus, this would break down any barriers to getting players from MC........He's now the HC at West Georgia but he'd leave in a minute for an OC position in the SEC...........

DawgPoundRock
01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Marcus wood would be great..if we got him..I would have lots of wool for 2014

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I was at EMCC for 2 years as a manager for football. This guy can recruit. Think about it you hire him that opens up pipeline to EMCC were all those freak athletes they get and send them here after that and he's a good guy and i think he would fit in to what mullen is trying to do offensively. you want a lot of points every game and a lot of yards and a guy who can recruit as well here's your guy im just saying that's who we should reach out to

ATLDawg
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Tim Brewster, and pay the hell out of em'.

DawgPoundRock
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
My little brother Ken Breland just graduated from there and played last year with him and said he was a beast of an offensive mind

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Rosebowl just weighed in on Koenning:

He said that he is hearing that Mullen will promote Gonzales to OC and, for QB coach, hire a guy that was staff at Utah. Rosebowl won't release the name though.

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM
No doubt and a lot of people dont realize that man he's going to score every time he has the ball doesnt matter to him how many points they score the guy is just an offensive guru. I think this is the guy we want really he's a no name guy nobody knows a lot about that could be a huge success if given a job. And personally i believe he fits in with what kind of offense mullen wants to run here. And the guy can recruit as well and with him showing off his rings on recruiting trail would help us get some athletes just like they do now

Saltydog
01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Not sure of his coaching abilities but his recrootin' ain't what it was hyped to be, DeShea Townshend either..........

Todd4State
01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Not sure of his coaching abilities but his recrootin' ain't what it was hyped to be, DeShea Townshend either..........

Jesse Jackson? Jamoral Graham?

Deshea helped us get Brandon Bryant, Lashard Durr, and Chris Rayford.

Todd4State
01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Even though he is Bobby Hall's son- Will Hall wouldnt be a bad choice. Coach's kids usually turn out to be pretty good ones themselves

Bobby allegedly told someone that if he has a question about offense, he goes to his son.

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 03:22 PM
The Urban Meyer tree seems to be producing for us lots right now. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

DawgPoundRock
01-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Haha people on twitter petitioning for brett favre..very unlikely but would be grand slam imo

Todd4State
01-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Haha people on twitter petitioning for brett favre..very unlikely but would be grand slam imo

It would make the USM games a little bit more interesting. I would be afraid he would be getting into it thinking he would be doing it to just have something to do, and Dan is NOT going to let him or anyone else just fart around.

engie
01-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Why would anyone think Favre would be a "grand slam" OC? What inclination does he have to work 60-80 hour weeks and kiss ass of 18 year old kids? What inclination does he have of learning the spread offense? He might be good as a QB coach -- but that's about it really.

Our fanbase is slaves to familiarity.

Johnson85
01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
He might be good as a QB coach -- but that's about it really.

I'd question whether he'd even be a good QB coach.

He certainly could be, but there's a reason they say c students make the best teacher. How much of what Favre did can be taught. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things his mechanics weren't terrible and he was good at things like going through his progressions and those things can be taught. But he also had a rocket of an arm and I would say a knack for improvising. Even somebody like Peyton Manning, who's greatness probably does rely a lot on preparation and learning what to look for pre-snap, I'm not sure that many qb's really have the mental capacity to spend that much time preparing and to be able to retain and use what they learn during the game.

Saltydog
01-15-2014, 04:43 PM
ever offer him a job (which they won't but his was during the Croom years), he'd wear maroon/white it in a heartbeat........We all know the man doens't like MSU but if there's one thing he loves more than UM, it's winning............He'd help Will all he could.............Will Hall would make a great coach and great recruiter.....He knows this State....

32 Dive
01-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Rosebowl just weighed in on Koenning:

He said that he is hearing that Mullen will promote Gonzales to OC and, for QB coach, hire a guy that was staff at Utah. Rosebowl won't release the name though.

Google the OC at Utah when Urban was there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sanford), and Dan as QB coach. Not saying it is him. But I always wondered of Mullen would have a spot for him, after he got canned at UNLV in 2009

smootness
01-15-2014, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure what you were expecting, especially from guys in their first year here. Neither one are Tim Brewster, and I don't think anyone expected that. Unless you're an absolutely elite recruiter, you're not going to just show up anywhere and get studs.

Everyone is constrained by where they are. I think they will both be the kind of guys who can go get guys generally on the top-end of the kind of players the school that employs them is generally able to get.

So at State, if they're here long enough, I think they'll settle into the kind of guys who can go get 2-3 4-star guys, even from out of state. That's doing really well here.

But I don't think either one is going to bring in 5-star studs that everybody is after.

TheDogFather
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Hud.

This should be good.....

Coach34
01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Recruiting begins long before a player's Senior year. Hard to make much of an impact in one year

gravedigger
01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
He has to mesh personally with Mullen. HUD didn't bc he is a head coach at heart. If the emcc oc is the Type of guy trying to be the next hc of Msu too aggressively, Mullen will not consider him. This is *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* ship.

Your logic is sound. But it won't come to fruition unless Mullen is comfortable with him.

PendingTransaction
01-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Is this a joke? I thought all Townsend had to do was tell'em he played in the NFL and show that superbowl ring and the recruits would sign the LOI in December.

Fred Garvin
01-15-2014, 10:41 PM
But ... but ... but he's from Mississippi****

Belegal
01-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Sorry coach but I'd never hire a Hall! Know them to well and their morals! We are above them!!!

Martianlander
01-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Under consideration maybe 60% chance. Gonzales-OC. Mullen QB coach (Mullen true OC) and hire special teams coach. Might be a good move especially special teams coach hire.

Johnson85
01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
He has to mesh personally with Mullen. HUD didn't bc he is a head coach at heart. If the emcc oc is the Type of guy trying to be the next hc of Msu too aggressively, Mullen will not consider him. This is *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* ship.

Your logic is sound. But it won't come to fruition unless Mullen is comfortable with him.

Can somebody explain why and when the *cough*'s are inserted? I've had it done to one of my posts and have no clue what it was supposed to be blanking out and I don't see the context here either.

Coach34
01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
make sure you include the apostrophe in Mullen's- if you forget, you get *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*

hacker
01-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Marcus wood would be great..if we got him..I would have lots of wool for 2014

lots of wood**