PDA

View Full Version : Has MSU ever had a more attractive assistant coaching opening than this OC Position?

engie
01-15-2014, 11:24 AM
for someone looking to take the fast track to a big future promotion or a head job?

- You don't call plays here most likely. You gameplan, recruit, recruit, recruit, and coach QBs. Like Mullen when he was with Urban, you get some credit for the offense though.
- You have what should be far and away the best offense in school history coming back -- including likely one of the best QBs in the SEC for 2 more years. Given the relative strength of the defense, you have an opportunity to coach for a team with a rising profile nationally that should get far beyond their normal attention nationally over the next couple of years(which is already extensive being in the SEC).

To me, it may be the most highly-sought and demanded assistant coaching job in the history of MSU football...

thedawg
01-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Some people want to call plays... Also Mullen probably isnt the easiest coach to work for as an Offensive Coordinator. I think he cant help but micro manage because of his background. I do think its a good job and we should be able to get a recruiter in it.

engie
01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Some people want to call plays... Also Mullen probably isnt the easiest coach to work for as an Offensive Coordinator. I think he cant help but micro manage because of his background. I do think its a good job and we should be able to get a recruiter in it.

All that's fine if you are talking about making it a career working under Mullen.

What we've got is basically 2 years -- hold status quo -- guaranteed major promotion or head job elsewhere. Those opportunities just don't come along every day.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Most definitely we have had better. Any of the openings under King Jackie, for starters. If Croom had ever gotten rid of Woody, then that would have been attractive, simply because the bar was set so low.

Mullen is the OC. He's likely going to promote Gonzales and be done with it. Which isn't a bad idea.

thedawg
01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Most definitely we have had better. Any of the openings under King Jackie, for starters. If Croom had ever gotten rid of Woody, then that would have been attractive, simply because the bar was set so low.

Mullen is the OC. He's likely going to promote Gonzales and be done with it. Which isn't a bad idea.

If you can get a great recruiter in as a WR coach or QB coach I would be great with promoting Gonzales to figure head OC

quickstrike2
01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
I would be perfectly fine with just promoting Gonzales and calling him the OC. Mullen is going to run the show regardless. Then we just add a good recruiter, and it would be awesome if he would coach special teams.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Most OC's are going to want to actually be the offensive coordinator, so I don't know how attractive the job is. Nor do I know that being Mullen's "OC" is a recipe for major promotion either. It's likely that most coaches know that Mullen runs our offense, so they wouldn't be hiring someone who calls the plays if they hire our OC. Plus, our OC just took a job as a WR coach, which is pretty much the exact opposite of a step up from being an OC. Point being, unless someone just has no idea about anything MSU related, Mullen will get 95% of the credit for our offense.

engie
01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Was Mullen "actually" the offensive coordinator at Florida?

He parlayed that nicely, did he not?

jimbo352
01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Most OC's are going to want to actually be the offensive coordinator, so I don't know how attractive the job is. Nor do I know that being Mullen's "OC" is a recipe for major promotion either. It's likely that most coaches know that Mullen runs our offense, so they wouldn't be hiring someone who calls the plays if they hire our OC. Plus, our OC just took a job as a WR coach, which is pretty much the exact opposite of a step up from being an OC. Point being, unless someone just has no idea about anything MSU related, Mullen will get 95% of the credit for our offense.

This is what I don't understand... Even if you don't run the offense... Why would you leave an OC job, for a position coach job??? I'm not sure what his reasons were, but our OC job can't be that attractive(compared to other OC jobs) when this is happening...

If you're a sunbelt HC looking for a quick stop to transition into major college football... Our OC job is attractive in that it's really safe IMO... You'd have to fvck up something fierce to do a bad job as the "OC" next year...

thedawg
01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Hes from Texas, played at Texas, has big Texas ties... Im sure they are paying him as much or more than he makes here

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
I think the next step in Mullen's development is to turn loose of the offense fully (or at least somewhat fully) to the OC. He won't reach his potential until he does that.

But.....if you can't find the right guy, I'm just fine with Mullen continuing to run it. Billy G might be the perfect guy though. Isn't he a Meyer disciple too? They all run the same shit.

engie
01-15-2014, 11:59 AM
This is what I don't understand... Even if you don't run the offense... Why would you leave an OC job, for a position coach job??? I'm not sure what his reasons were, but our OC job can't be that attractive(compared to other OC jobs) when this is happening...

If you're a sunbelt HC looking for a quick stop to transition into major college football... Our OC job is attractive in that it's really safe IMO... You'd have to fvck up something fierce to do a bad job as the "OC" next year...

Koenning was told to look around.

jimbo352
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Hes from Texas, played at Texas, has big Texas ties... Im sure they are paying him as much or more than he makes here

That's completely understandable, but it seems odd he wouldn't stick around and get some coaching momentum with our offense next year. If they offered him a CO offensive coordinator position, I'd completely understand. You just don't see OC's in the SEC leave for position coach jobs elsewhere... Unless they're pushed out of fired...

If he's happy being a position coach at a Texas school, and the money is right for him... More power to him... I'm not gonna bash a man for that...

jimbo352
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM

If true, that answers a lot of questions...

The Croom Diaries
01-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I agree - for a young position coach or FCS O.C. this is the perfect gig. I'll assume we aren't going to get any bright minds who are FBS OC's simply because we are only going to pay $250K and like you say it's Mullen's offense.

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Here is one for yal.. Marcus Wood currently the OC at EMCC.. He runs spread offense Up Tempo scores 60+ ppg over 500 yards per game. Even put up 90 this past season. 2 National Titles under his belt also a MSU graduate I think if I'm not mistaking. And if you are wondering who the heck this guy is go on youtube and search EMCC Football highlights.

ScottH
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Correct

Johnson85
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I would be perfectly fine with just promoting Gonzales and calling him the OC. Mullen is going to run the show regardless. Then we just add a good recruiter, and it would be awesome if he would coach special teams.

I want somebody that will bring a different perspective than Mullen. Unless Koenig really was calling the plays in 2012 and the first half of 2013, Mullen needs somebody to challenge him and keep him out of a rut on playcalling. No clue if Gonzales would be able to do that or not, but I'd think it'd be more likely to come from somebody who did not rise up through the coaching ranks with Mullen.

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 12:48 PM
MARCUS WOOD... Go to youtube and watch EMCC football highlights and watch his offense Mullen is a spread offense here is a SPREAD OC that can put up a lot of points and get a ton of yards per game

engie
01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
I want somebody that will bring a different perspective than Mullen. Unless Koenig really was calling the plays in 2012 and the first half of 2013, Mullen needs somebody to challenge him and keep him out of a rut on playcalling. No clue if Gonzales would be able to do that or not, but I'd think it'd be more likely to come from somebody who did not rise up through the coaching ranks with Mullen.

No. Mullen just needs a dual threat QB to run the offense he has to run to be successful. John Brantley made Urban Meyer look like an idiot too for the season that they had together.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Chris Leak didn't. And John Brantley also made Muschamp look stupid. I think the problem is most often the actual QB.

Supporting cast also helps. Florida's offensive talent really hasn't been up to par ever since Tebow/Harvin/Cooper left.

engie
01-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Chris Leak didn't. And John Brantley also made Muschamp look stupid. I think the problem is most often the actual QB.

And Muschamp has proven that to be true ever since the Brantley years on the offensive side. Hardly a disproving example you used there. But more importantly, Muschamp is not an offensive coach. So, more precisely, Charlie Weis and Brent Pease have proven it true. Meanwhile, Meyer has gone on to light up defenses again with BOTH of his dual threat qbs at Ohio St...

The problem was not with Russell -- it was with the inability of the guys calling the plays for him to ever really give him a chance at success. He just doesn't "fit". This is why I went nuts to get rid of Koenning last year to bring in a pass-first spread guy -- to give Russell a chance. At this point, it's much more of a zero-sum proposition -- because Koenning has been pretty good with all of the type of QB we've got remaining...

Johnson85
01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
No. Mullen just needs a dual threat QB to run the offense he has to run to be successful. John Brantley made Urban Meyer look like an idiot too for the season that they had together.

Having a dual threat qb helps hide a lot of the issues, but the fact remains that Mullen was not able to adjust his play calling when we needed him to. Hopefully we'll continue to recruit the personnel that make play calling easier for him, but we're still going to run into situations where defenses effectively prevent him from running what he's comfortable with, and I'd like an OC that not only can bring different options to the table but also who Mullen will listen to.

engie
01-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Having a dual threat qb helps hide a lot of the issues, but the fact remains that Mullen was not able to adjust his play calling when we needed him to. Hopefully we'll continue to recruit the personnel that make play calling easier for him, but we're still going to run into situations where defenses effectively prevent him from running what he's comfortable with, and I'd like an OC that not only can bring different options to the table but also who Mullen will listen to.

What defense has stopped--or even slowed down--Dak?

We're only stopped with a true dual threat when we stop ourselves.