PDA

View Full Version : Koenning leaving could spell a big raise for Collins

FlabLoser
01-15-2014, 09:24 AM
OK, put your manager hat on. Say you've got a OC and a DC. Both are paid well below market rate, but only one of them deserves a huge raise. If you double or triple the DC's pay while leaving the OC alone, well he just can't stand for that.

Look around the country and I suspect you won't find any coordinator that is getting paid double or triple what his counterpart on the other side of the ball is getting.

So your OC kinda wants out anyway and your DC needs a big time raise. Now is the time to let your OC go and give your DC that raise. And that let's you start fresh with the OC position.

Now you bring in a good OC that is worth the market rate for a SEC OC. Or....you let the HC be the OC and you hire a ST coach. That's been discussed here already.

Anyway, I've been wondering how Collins could get a huge raise while Les doesn't. And now I see how.

CJDAWG85
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
This needs to happen. Make Collins happy! Make all of the defensive coaches happy!

starkvegasdawg
01-15-2014, 10:19 AM
OK, put your manager hat on. Say you've got a OC and a DC. Both are paid well below market rate, but only one of them deserves a huge raise. If you double or triple the DC's pay while leaving the OC alone, well he just can't stand for that.

Look around the country and I suspect you won't find any coordinator that is getting paid double or triple what his counterpart on the other side of the ball is getting.

So your OC kinda wants out anyway and your DC needs a big time raise. Now is the time to let your OC go and give your DC that raise. And that let's you start fresh with the OC position.

Now you bring in a good OC that is worth the market rate for a SEC OC. Or....you let the HC be the OC and you hire a ST coach. That's been discussed here already.

Anyway, I've been wondering how Collins could get a huge raise while Les doesn't. And now I see how.

We need to make it rain up in here for Collins and Co.

justwin
01-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Makes sense. I do feel loke this move & raise is old news among the staff.

Is Collins the best DC MSU has had since Saint Mullen has been HC?

maroonmania
01-15-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree in theory but everyone knows that this is Dan Mullen's offense no matter who wears the OC hat. So while Koenning and Collins are technically counterparts I don't really think there is a good comparison there of ultimate authority and responsibility for the offensive and defensive play.

DownwardDawg
01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Is Collins the best DC MSU has had since Saint Mullen has been HC?

Yes and it's not close.
Torbush = garbage
Diaz = meh, had great NFL talent. Sucked at Texas
Wilson = garbage. Had tons of NFL talent and sucked
Collins = looks great so far.

sandwolf
01-15-2014, 11:56 AM

I really don't think it would have been that big of a deal if Collins got a huge raise, while Koenning only got a standard raise. Everyone knows that regardless of title, Mullen is the OC, so it makes sense that we would focus the bulk of our funding on our DC.

And it isn't completely unheard of for one coordinator to make substantially more than his counter part.

Here are a few examples:
Bama - Smart=1.15 Mil, Nussmeier=$680k
Washington - Wilcox=$800k, Kiesau=$400k
Nebraska - Beck=$700k, Papuchis=$310k
Texas Tech - Wallerstedt=$425k, Morris=$210k

I am not being argumentative or saying that you are wrong.....I'm just saying that I don't see it as a big issue if our DC makes twice as much as our OC.

ckDOG
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I really don't think it would have been that big of a deal if Collins got a huge raise, while Koenning only got a standard raise. Everyone knows that regardless of title, Mullen is the OC, so it makes sense that we would focus the bulk of our funding on our DC.

And it isn't completely unheard of for one coordinator to make substantially more than his counter part.

Here are a few examples:
Bama - Smart=1.15 Mil, Nussmeier=$680k
Washington - Wilcox=$800k, Kiesau=$400k
Nebraska - Beck=$700k, Papuchis=$310k
Texas Tech - Wallerstedt=$425k, Morris=$210k

I am not being argumentative or saying that you are wrong.....I'm just saying that I don't see it as a big issue if our DC makes twice as much as our OC.

+1

It makes sense to go lighter on offense since the HC is an offense guy. Spend your money to complement his skill set. That logic stated, Smart has a sweet gig at Bama knowing that defense is all Saban's.