PDA

View Full Version : Koenning to Texas as WR coach.

missouridawg
01-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Rumor has it.

EAVdog
01-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Every year... every year... never fails.

Maybe he wants a raise too.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 10:17 PM
There could be worse losses. I will hate to see Les go for his recruiting, but we should be able to hire a young hustler to recruit as well or better. Our offense is Dan's, so that doesn't worry me...but I wonder how much Les had to do with Relf and Dak's development, or was that mostly Mullen?

smootness
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Seems like a demotion, so it may be a Chris Wilson-type deal. We may have our eyes set on someone else as OC.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-14-2014, 10:21 PM
@JBellSATX: @Jason_Higdon Rivals Texas site is reporting tonight Les Koenning will be hired for WR coach. is that really the last hire?

EAVdog
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Maybe it is actually true this time. I'm not real heartbroken over it, although he was a good recruiter and QB coach.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
You only make that move when you don't have a choice

msstate7
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Seems like a demotion, so it may be a Chris Wilson-type deal. We may have our eyes set on someone else as OC.

Maybe it's Kenny edenfield (Troy)

Coach34
01-14-2014, 10:25 PM
We had a poster call a new OC awhile back and said the name would be very surprising.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 10:29 PM
We had a poster call a new OC awhile back and said the name would be very surprising.

Yup can he give us another hint now

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:29 PM

Exactly... I for one am not hurt at all... The poster that said that has also said some other stuff that turned out to be true...

WinningIsRelentless
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
I wonder if he is already on the staff now?

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
just a thought, Dan is his own OC and he brings in Brett Favre as QB coach... Bet he could recruit!

bobcat91
01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
I'd like Edenfield from Troy or Franklin at Cal. They can flat out coach a spread offense.

Big4Dawg
01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
BTW, his targets are only Will Coleman and Lashard Durr. Think we are good with both.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Haha I was throwing out Favre's name a couple of weeks ago.

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:36 PM
you can bet on one thing, Balis and Keonning both taking "step downs" is a direct result of Dan wanting to move in a different direction and allowing them to save face. I figure he told them to find another job and he would let them go out as if they chose to move on. This was the first year that Dan called most of the plays. Even last year until in the Middle Tn game I will never forget Dan screaming into the Headset after an awful play call. He said " Les, hey Les, that's F'ing Awful"

BogeyGolfer
01-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Rumor has it.

I have no source on this but you don't make this move unless you've been forced out. Probably known for a while like others have stated. We need a good recruiter and maybe another Melvin Smith type coach/ recruiter.

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
I'd like Edenfield from Troy or Franklin at Cal. They can flat out coach a spread offense.

Yea but both are more "throw first spread" guys. We are a "Run First Spread" team.

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
I have no source on this but you don't make this move unless you've been forced out. Probably known for a while like others have stated. We need a good recruiter and maybe another Melvin Smith if you catch my drift...

a bag man? hahaha!

coastdoglover
01-14-2014, 10:40 PM
This is an a stupid statement. He played at Texas and has coached at Texas. I am sure the money would have to be equal or better and Texas has plenty of it. I also think he has done a heck of a job recruiting and has gotten us back in the door in some South Mississippi schools. I also know he is in on 3 or 4 good and 1 great player for 2015. It would be a loss and as usual some of these message board geniuses are clueless.

Schultzy
01-14-2014, 10:41 PM
you can bet on one thing, Balis and Keonning both taking "step downs" is a direct result of Dan wanting to move in a different direction and allowing them to save face. I figure he told them to find another job and he would let them go out as if they chose to move on. This was the first year that Dan called most of the plays. Even last year until in the Middle Tn game I will never forget Dan screaming into the Headset after an awful play call. He said " Les, hey Les, that's F'ing Awful"
You're a trip.

Joe Schmedlap
01-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Going from OC to WR coach is a definite step down, but then again, the WR coach position at Texas might actually present an increase in salary for Les. No state income tax in the state of Texas, you know.

Coach34
My bet is that we are going to get someone that agrees with Mullen's view of having a power run game- out of the Spread of course

bluelightstar
This is an a stupid statement. He played at Texas and has coached at Texas. I am sure the money would have to be equal or better and Texas has plenty of it. I also think he has done a heck of a job recruiting and has gotten us back in the door in some South Mississippi schools. I also know he is in on 3 or 4 good and 1 great player for 2015. It would be a loss and as usual some of these message board geniuses are clueless.

So you think someone just goes from offensive coordinator at an SEC school to position coach at Texas...?

Homedawg
01-14-2014, 10:46 PM

You can bet one thing your wrong on the balis part. And he didn't run les either for that matter les has been aching to leave.

coastdoglover
01-14-2014, 10:47 PM
I do if they are not calling the plays. And that has been pretty much how it has been. Mullen calls almost all the plays regardless of what people think

Homedawg
01-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Going from OC to WR coach is a definite step down, but then again, the WR coach position at Texas might actually present an increase in salary for Les. No state income tax in the state of Texas, you know.

His title said oc, his pay and his responsibilities say otherwise.

missouridawg
01-14-2014, 10:48 PM
So you think someone just goes from offensive coordinator at an SEC school to position coach at Texas...?

Ummmm.... Yes. What's confusing about that? Texas can double his salary and not even blink. Les is from San Antonio. As an OC for Mullen, any type of praise from the public bypasses you because everyone thinks Mullen does everything. So you're essentially an afterthought here ( unfairly) as the OC.

There's plenty of reasons for him to want this job over ours.

deltadawg99
01-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Emcc always puts up ridiculous offensive numbers and they run the spread. Would we take a look at their HC?

Bo Darville
01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Monte Kiffin for offensive coordinator. He obviously struggles to coach defense, so he should give offense a try.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
I do if they are not calling the plays. And that has been pretty much how it has been. Mullen calls almost all the plays regardless of what people think

He won't be calling plays as a WR coach at Texas either, but I get what you're saying.

Hell, I would take a pay increase for a decrease in responsibility. Especially at Les's age.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Jesus Grandpaw give it a rest. This move has been rumored for awhile. You don't leave an OC job to go teach WR drills unless you have to

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
My bet is that we are going to get someone that agrees with Mullen's view of having a power run game- out of the Spread of course

if we go with a true OC you are exactly right, if Dan decides to just hire a QB coach I look for him to go the high energy recruiter type. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzalez promoted and given the title of OC/WR coach with Dan still calling the plays and then us hiring a qb coach. Wouldn't mind that if we would hire QB/ST coach.

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Jesus Grandpaw give it a rest. This move has been rumored for awhile. You don't leave an OC job to go teach WR drills unless you have to

Exactly!

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 10:54 PM
if we go with a true OC you are exactly right, if Dan decides to just hire a QB coach I look for him to go the high energy recruiter type. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzalez promoted and given the title of OC/WR coach with Dan still calling the plays and then us hiring a qb coach. Wouldn't mind that if we would hire QB/ST coach.

Young QB/ST coach is the way to go. We know Dan wants to run his offense, and he's good at it when he calls the plays. So hire a young go getter recruiter that was a former QB, and let him coach QB's but MOSTLY Special Teams.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd much rather Dan just name himself QB coach and OC and just go out and replace Les with a ST coach. That's what seems to be prudent to me.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 10:56 PM
I'd much rather Dan just name himself QB coach and OC and just go out and replace Les with a ST coach. That's what seems to be prudent to me.

Bingo. Get us a young ST coach that can recruit. Let him have some of the QB coaching duties if necessary...but his primary focus is ST and recruiting.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 10:56 PM
I've never heard of anyone that coaches QB's and special teams. Maybe they're out there, but usually it seems like the ST coach coaches TE's or something like that.

TheDogFather
01-14-2014, 10:58 PM
?@HookEmReport: Les Koenning | Texas Longhorns: New Wide Receiver Coach: http://www.hookemreport.com/?p=9335 #leskoenning #charliestrong #texaslonghorns?

preachermatt83
01-14-2014, 10:59 PM
hahahaha!! The guys at Tx 247 are already calling for Les to be the play caller!! haha, they should come over hear for a while first.

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/Les-Koenning--24980098/3#close

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't think we need a QB coach with Dan. Alex Smith, Tebow, Cam Newton for a year, made Relf reach his highest potential if not more if that's possible, Tyler set school records and now Dak will probably break them.

If Dan is calling the plays- I honestly don't usually have a problem with our play calling. Usually I only question what we're doing when we do something cute and it blows up in our face. 2012 I questioned some- but every other year has been pretty good for the most part. Personnel use I question some. But how many times have we set a school record with Dan? We set some this past year and our top running back, Perkins, didn't even get close to a 1000 yards in a run first offense and having to play a true freshman QB for a good bit of the time at the end of the year while having to endure injuries to our top two QB's.

smootness
01-14-2014, 11:08 PM
We're going to be fine here. Many people were calling for Koenning to go. I wasn't one of those people, I think he is a good coach who definitely helps recruiting on the coast; but you can upgrade there with the right hire.

TexasDawg
01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Les did play receiver at Texas so I wouldn't say its exactly a stretch to think he would leave us to coach WR's in Austin.

deltadawg99
01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Dan Marino for OC with Tebow as a GA boom! Ha

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Tim Tebow for OC

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 11:20 PM
I bet Tebow could coach special teams. Heck, before we played Florida in Starkville when he was there, I saw him snapping the ball to Riley Cooper. And he looked like he knew what he was doing. No way he leaves ESPN though.

smootness
01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm guessing Gonzales will get a title promotion to OC/WRs, as others have speculated. That will give us the opportunity to hire either a QB or ST coach, so we should have a lot of options.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm guessing Gonzales will get a title promotion to OC/WRs, as others have speculated. That will give us the opportunity to hire either a QB or ST coach, so we should have a lot of options.

I pray it's a special teams coach. This is like the opposite of the Jackie Sherrill era.

But here's some speculation- maybe it's mystery OC candidate that has been talked about and then name Gonzalez Co-OC.

deltadawg99
01-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Probably right. Dan is going to call the plays and has a history of QB development. I personally have never heard of a QB/ST coach but that's not say they don't exist.

I would guess we'll end up hiring a TE/ST coach and move Sallach to a desk recruiting job. if that's the case, come on down John Baxter.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Probably right. Dan is going to call the plays and has a history of QB development. I personally have never heard of a QB/ST coach but that's not say they don't exist.

I would guess we'll end up hiring a TE/ST coach and move Sallach to a desk recruiting job. if that's the case, come on down John Baxter.

I could live with that.

Co-OC/QB coach- mystery OC person
TE/ST coach
Co-OC/WR- Gonzales
Desk coach- Sallach

When Hud was here, he had the title of passing game coordinator/WR coach.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Todd Jordan played QB and punter- that's probably about as close as we're going to get to a QB/ST coach. Or maybe Matt Wyatt.

mic
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Im guessing Brett Elliot becomes the QB coach....

drummerdawg
01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Hud to be OC and coach in waiting**

Coach34
01-14-2014, 11:48 PM

I think Mic may be on to something here...I could see this going down

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 12:06 AM

Makes sense. Currently a GA. He was the QB at Utah before getting hurt and Alex Smith took over and went on to be the first pick of the draft. Is he the guy Mullen screams at when ST screws up?

esplanade91
01-15-2014, 01:06 AM
No Heisman for Alex Smith.

Todd4State
01-15-2014, 01:08 AM
Makes sense. Currently a GA. He was the QB at Utah before getting hurt and Alex Smith took over and went on to win the Heisman. Is he the guy Mullen screams at when ST screws up?

I don't believe so. I looked up Brett Elliott on google and he doesn't look anything like the anonymous graduate assistant special teams guru.

It_Could_Happen
01-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Heard it's gonna be a well name hire. Big time recruiting hire

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 01:27 AM

Chris Leak is a GA at Florida right now. js

Todd4State
01-15-2014, 01:38 AM

Dan knows Lane Kiffen is off the market, right?**

It would have been funny to hire him for a week and make him put up a twitter profile with him, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Dan Marino on it.

Political Hack
01-15-2014, 06:52 AM
I heard Spurrier was looking at houses out at Old Waverly.****

Dawgbite
01-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Will Hall, smart, high energy, knows the option inside and out. Would he leave a head coaching position at a D3 program to be an assistant at a SEC school, I think yes. Besides, it would make Bobby have a stroke !

Schultzy
01-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I've heard he would take it and his dad would be happy to see it happen.

deltadawg99
01-15-2014, 08:39 AM
Brian Johnson from Utah could be a possibility. QB under Mullen and current OC/QB coach at utah

Martianlander
01-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Actually that was me and it was Kiiffin. From a good source Mullen was in hot negotiation with him and looked like a done deal but apparently Saban quashed that. I'm not totally dissapointed frankly. Will keep you updated when I hear more.

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
If yal want a man who can run a spread offense out of his mind for the next OC at MSU. I know who you want idk if yal have heard of him i preachermatt might have. His name is Marucs Wood graduated from MSU I believe. He is currently at EMCC as the OC there. His offense averages 60+ points per game even hit 90 once this year. Averages 500-600 yards per game and its all up tempo as well. I know they might not hire him but he is worth mentioning just look at the athletes they have on the offensive side of the ball. I'm just saying that's who i wouldn't mind having as the next OC. Want more go to youtube and search EMCC football highlights

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks, the EMCC head coach and OC have gotten lots of mention on here

NeshobaChuck
01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
I really think the EMCC OC deserves a look. I mean look at the offense there and what it has done in the last few years. I mean they have won National Championship 2 out of the last 3 years

sleepy dawg
01-15-2014, 02:23 PM
just a thought, Dan is his own OC and he brings in Brett Favre as QB coach... Bet he could recruit!

"Bet he could recruit" is a lot different than would he be willing to spend the amount of time necessary to be a successful recruiter. I assume this was a joke, but I think hiring Favre would be a mistake if we are expecting him to be more than an Xs and Os guy.